Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

This post more than anything lately makes me want to pick up this game and start playing it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Hadlock posted:

I was skipping around and landed on the 16:00 mark where he goes on a 2 minute excited (for him anyways) rant about "slinging class A drugs on mainstreet USA" comedy gold wtf

Sips is great. He did a Fishing with Crendor video and it was the most chill thing in the history of the universe

8-Bit Dracula
Dec 31, 2007

Any mod that categorizes or sorts the UI better? My parks and plazas tab is unwieldly.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Thanks for that big post Fish Fry Andy, I'm definitely considering wiping out all my mods and starting on a clean slate for Snowfall. I have so so many mods right now and some have completely broken my game with this new DLC, I can't really load a game anymore.

Friction
Aug 15, 2001

All it took was a fire in the industrial area to gridlock the circle that had been working just fine until then.

Time to redesign this disgrace.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

This is a very good list and pretty much exactly what I run.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

8-Bit Dracula posted:

Any mod that categorizes or sorts the UI better? My parks and plazas tab is unwieldly.

Yes.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=563229150&searchtext=

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

Thanks for this list, grabbed a few I hadn't seen despite keeping up with this thread over the past few months. I know mods are constantly changing but something like this should be bundled in the OP once a new expansion comes out b/c people want to start playing again (myself included) but are overwhelmed by the mod scene.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Preferably about a week after DLC release when everything's been settled down a bit.

8-Bit Dracula
Dec 31, 2007

Excellent, thanks!

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
If I want to get just one DLC pack, what's the best bang for my buck?

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Snowfall has trams.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

If I want to get just one DLC pack, what's the best bang for my buck?

Neither offers much bang for your buck, so it's hard to say. Depends what features interest you. Off the top of my head these are the paid features for each DLC:

After Dark:
- Tourism and Leisure specializations
- Taxis
- Cargo Hub (aka seaport with built in train)
- Prisons
- A handful of other assets that don't do much.

Snowfall:
- Winter maps/snow
- Heating
- Snow plowing
- Trams

I guess Snowfall offers better bang for your buck if and only if you are interested in snow or trains. The day/night cycle that was introduced with AD is pretty nice but it was a free feature; AD's paid features are kind of a grab bag of questionably useful stuff.

I personally bought AD but haven't bought Snowfall and don't really plan to. Honestly neither DLC is super impressive, you could safely skip both and have a ton of fun. The base game is amazing and mods do so much more than either DLC.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
After being way too focused on making assets I'm finally playing this game again, and indeed Rush Hour is awesome! Together with Network Extensions you can go and recreate some really meaningful car-centric stuff:

I'm basically trying to force big commutes in my asset showcase city. Most industry is on this side of the river while 65k people live across. And with 21% unemployment I can just fill up another block of warehousing and see how my tweaked road layouts react.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

Excellent post, this really outta be in the OP.

Now, since I'm probably gonna be starting a brand new city with all my new mods, does anyone want to make a similar post for good maps...?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Koesj posted:

After being way too focused on making assets I'm finally playing this game again, and indeed Rush Hour is awesome! Together with Network Extensions you can go and recreate some really meaningful car-centric stuff:

I'm basically trying to force big commutes in my asset showcase city. Most industry is on this side of the river while 65k people live across. And with 21% unemployment I can just fill up another block of warehousing and see how my tweaked road layouts react.

What are those buildings???

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Baronjutter posted:

What are those buildings???

Feindbild updated his Brooklyn collection to include L1 industry!!!

Koesj fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Feb 23, 2016

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

super fart shooter posted:

Now, since I'm probably gonna be starting a brand new city with all my new mods, does anyone want to make a similar post for good maps...?

It's pretty hard to recommend maps, there's a ton of personal preference involved. If I made a list of maps I like I'd just end up posting my own.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

super fart shooter posted:

Good maps mostly come down to personal taste. Someone who likes flat maps is gonna have a bad time with Pinnacles, someone who can't run an 81 tiles map is gonna have a bad time with Kosrae Island, etc.

Fish Fry Andy's maps are pretty excellent across the board. Some are easier than others. Back when the game was still new I played Passes until I had completely filled all 25 tiles, then started from scratch and did it again. For anyone just learning how to build in the mountains, it's an awesome map. For anyone who already knows how to build in the mountains and thinks Passes is too easy, Andy's got a lot better at making maps since then.

Someday I will beat Pinnacles. Someday.

Dred_furst
Nov 19, 2007

"Hey look, I'm flying a giant dong"
Yeah, rush hour is pretty great, been having a lot of fun with that + Network Extensions:

the old city center, mostly residential

the entire city, Oil fields for jobs to the bottom left, new expansion area that is going to be completely high density to the bottom right. Top, who knows yet.

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Bold Robot posted:

Neither offers much bang for your buck, so it's hard to say. Depends what features interest you. Off the top of my head these are the paid features for each DLC:

After Dark:
- Tourism and Leisure specializations
- Taxis
- Cargo Hub (aka seaport with built in train)
- Prisons
- A handful of other assets that don't do much.

Snowfall:
- Winter maps/snow
- Heating
- Snow plowing
- Trams

I guess Snowfall offers better bang for your buck if and only if you are interested in snow or trains. The day/night cycle that was introduced with AD is pretty nice but it was a free feature; AD's paid features are kind of a grab bag of questionably useful stuff.

I personally bought AD but haven't bought Snowfall and don't really plan to. Honestly neither DLC is super impressive, you could safely skip both and have a ton of fun. The base game is amazing and mods do so much more than either DLC.

Weather is included in the free patch. However, like AD, weather is cosmetic unless you buy the DLC for the more services.

Snowfall did break an upres mod I was using though, not used to this normie resolution business at all.

Also, as this is the City thread, here are some images of recent-ish stuff:

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Actually I'll go ahead and make a small map post. If you want maps there are two people who pretty much have you completely covered:

MrMiyagi makes lots of maps. Many of them are very scenic recreations of real world locations. Here's what I think is his best map:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=576316410

Zakerias makes lots of maps. He also does a lot of real world recreations, but his maps are less scenic and are far more flat. Here's his highest rated map:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=590130671

Because I'm posting this, I'll also plug myself. I've made a few maps and I like mountains a lot. Here's my favorite map that I've made:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=531944776

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Fish Fry Andy posted:

Actually I'll go ahead and make a small map post. If you want maps there are two people who pretty much have you completely covered:

MrMiyagi makes lots of maps. Many of them are very scenic recreations of real world locations. Here's what I think is his best map:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=576316410

:swoon:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Does anyone have a link to a guide for converting an existing (sketchup) model to an asset?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

If you have Snowfall check out his Aspen River map. It's very pretty.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

To be honest, so far the expansions from CO seem to be "finish a feature something that we think should've been there from the start but didn't have time, give that to everyone, and while we're at it throw a couple of minor new optional bits into a pay pack and sell to try and make money out of our free patch"

I'm okay with that.

My bet for next expansion is "Skylines: Street Level" and a first person mode.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Feb 24, 2016

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

MikeJF posted:

Does anyone have a link to a guide for converting an existing (sketchup) model to an asset?

Warning: are you good at managing components? Every polygon that's connected to another in SketchUp has a large chance of creating ngons: >4-sided polygons that'll get triangulated up to the hilt when exported as a C:S-importable .fbx.

When you're not working with separate components on your model it'll most probably be horribly unoptimized, creating hundreds if not thousands of extra tris and vertices as unnecessary overhead. In the end it made me switch over to Max for modeling as well as unwrapping/baking (a good thing). I'm in the process of gently pushing a pretty accomplished assetbuilder (Darf) away from using SketchUp because it's loving up his tricounts. Obstinate dude tho.

If that doesn't scare you, just acquire a copy of 3ds Max or Blender (the former has a student edition, the latter is free) and import the .skp file you want to be using. You'll need these software packages to do sane texture mapping anyway.

Koesj fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Feb 24, 2016

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I downloaded this one before I knew it was yours, and it's going to be my next city once I can get snowfall to load with/without my billion mods!!

Holy gently caress these look amazing, how do I make my poo poo look like that

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Thanks for the mod/map posts Andy, just getting into the game so came looking for exactly this kind of stuff. Still gonna play on the default maps a bit to start though.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Ofaloaf posted:

I've been having a go at making several independent little burgs and then slowly building up into a megalopolis from that:

Might as well update this because I've been enjoying it, but the burgs are beginning to blur together:

I might make some further outlying villages soon, but the total pop of everything thus far is only 31k or so, so it feels like it'd be a little early to do that sort of thing.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

What are the big smokestacks in the distance on this one? A vanilla asset or some sort of big power plant?

The Brooklyn theme really is awesome and lets you create cities with a whole new feel.

Ofaloaf posted:

Might as well update this because I've been enjoying it, but the burgs are beginning to blur together:

I might make some further outlying villages soon, but the total pop of everything thus far is only 31k or so, so it feels like it'd be a little early to do that sort of thing.

This is great stuff. Are those houses vanilla? Looking for some good American-style suburb houses.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

Absolutely destroyed one of the biggest traffic problems I've had in weeks. Junctioned timed traffic lights are cool and all, but I never considered they could go on freaking ROUNDABOUTS.

This cobbled together frankenstein works pretty well.

Started with a basic Morrack's sunken interchange off the workshop. When that failed I added timed lights. When that failed I added a separate road for right turners coming from the top. When that failed I hooked in a couple more separate roads. When all that failed I switched to an elevated roundabout. When that failed I started adding timed lights to the roundabout. When that failed I junctioned the two lights on the right side together so oncoming traffic from the bottom can get through that weak spot on the lower right of the roundabout where there isn't enough distance between intersections. When that failed I changed the top's separate road to a Toronto-style collector highway that branches off so right-turners can skip the roundabout. Problem solved.

This is why I play Cities.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Bold Robot posted:

This is great stuff. Are those houses vanilla? Looking for some good American-style suburb houses.
Nah, those are from DethKwok's Suburbia collection. I got a custom theme with DK's trailer collection mixed in for L1 restidential, the Suburbia collection for L1-L3, UK bungalows also for L1-L3, some Victorian terraces and finer American colonial housing for L3-L4, and then wall-to-wall stuff from the Brooklyn and Manhattan themes for L4-L5. Some vanilla assets are still in the mix, too- at some point I'll figure out how to share all that and I will, then.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Ad by Khad posted:

Absolutely destroyed one of the biggest traffic problems I've had in weeks. Junctioned timed traffic lights are cool and all, but I never considered they could go on freaking ROUNDABOUTS.

This cobbled together frankenstein works pretty well.

Started with a basic Morrack's sunken interchange off the workshop. When that failed I added timed lights. When that failed I added a separate road for right turners coming from the top. When that failed I hooked in a couple more separate roads. When all that failed I switched to an elevated roundabout. When that failed I started adding timed lights to the roundabout. When that failed I junctioned the two lights on the right side together so oncoming traffic from the bottom can get through that weak spot on the lower right of the roundabout where there isn't enough distance between intersections. When that failed I changed the top's separate road to a Toronto-style collector highway that branches off so right-turners can skip the roundabout. Problem solved.

This is why I play Cities.

Swap out the 6 lane avenue in that roundabout with 3 lane highway. No lights on them, higher speed and you won't need the 3 extra lanes anyway. Love the funky angles all over.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

Dunno-Lars posted:

Swap out the 6 lane avenue in that roundabout with 3 lane highway. No lights on them, higher speed and you won't need the 3 extra lanes anyway. Love the funky angles all over.

That's usually good advice but every piece of road in that interchange is already highway except for the 8-lane road at the very bottom of the picture. The roundabout itself is 5-lane highway, the main strip is 4-lane and the offramps are a mix of one, two and three laners. Traffic gets heavy enough that all five roundabout lanes get used.

After I posted the picture I ended up having to put in another three-lane offramp exiting from the left going northbound and then a drat timed traffic light on the outbound highway because they weren't merging properly. I might still need to tinker with it a little bit - I added another small industrial area that feeds into it - but for now it's moving incredible amounts of traffic. I've had cities of 250k+ people and never ever had to put a traffic light on the outbound highway before.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I liked what After Dark brought to the table, but I think I'm gonna sit this one out until the Summer Sale, or something. Straight-up the only feature of this expansion that I even remotely care about is trams.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
So I didnt buy the expansion yet but I've been playing my old city from before the patch and all of a sudden I noticed crime was at 60% and continuing to climb.
Any idea what could cause this? Same thing for crematoriums...

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
What happened to decorative lights? I can't find them anymore anywhere in the tabs. I have After Dark and Snowfall.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Le0 posted:

So I didnt buy the expansion yet but I've been playing my old city from before the patch and all of a sudden I noticed crime was at 60% and continuing to climb.
Any idea what could cause this? Same thing for crematoriums...

Clearly you've got a rash of serial killers murdering people in crematoriums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

CLAM DOWN posted:

I downloaded this one before I knew it was yours, and it's going to be my next city once I can get snowfall to load with/without my billion mods!!

Holy gently caress these look amazing, how do I make my poo poo look like that

It's the Realistic map theme from the workshop. From what I understand it changes the lighting around in ways that LUTs can't. I'm trying to modify it to adjust the height of the sun and replace the sand texture for Gelb Passage, but it doesn't seem to be cooperating much.

Bold Robot posted:

What are the big smokestacks in the distance on this one? A vanilla asset or some sort of big power plant?

Ngon's new power plant.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=630555561&searchtext=

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Feb 24, 2016