Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

muscles like this? posted:

In Until Dawn you find clues for the various mysteries in the game and there's a menu where you can look at them again. An interesting thing they do is as you learn other things the clues will update with explanations. Like everything with the Psycho gets little notes explaining what they mean once you learn their identity.
The butterfly effect thing also updates with the specific series of choices that led to the outcome you got for each one, so that you can know what you've done and what you haven't at a glance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

CJacobs posted:

The butterfly effect thing also updates with the specific series of choices that led to the outcome you got for each one, so that you can know what you've done and what you haven't at a glance.

I like that they use those butterfly effect things for red herrings, too. "Emily was bitten", for example.

Also, the "Stay still!" QTEs were clever. Any time your characters were hiding and needed to be still, the game would actually force you to hold still, using the motion sensor in the controller to determine if you were moving. It was super-sensitive, too, so you actually had to stay stock-still to pass it. In a real tense bit at the end where there are a bunch of those, I was even afraid to breathe.

Punished Chuck has a new favorite as of 05:21 on Feb 23, 2016

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

I don't have the means to actually test how good it is but Alien Isolation (on the PS4 at least, unsure about others) can use the camera to use your actual head tilt to make your character do the same and, more interestingly, use the microphone to detect whether you've made any loud noises that the enemies could pick up on.
Kind of wish I had that set up for my first run since the game (especially during the hive section) gave me some pretty good reminders of how it felt watching the movies for the first time (and entirely too young for them) and I would naturally go super quiet as I listened out for the sound of things moving around as Amanda hid under a desk.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I don't know if a favorite thing about a mod is relevant to this thread, but the Imperious racial mod for Skyrim retools all the races, and each race has a miniquest to upgrade their racial abilities. The High Elf miniquest is pulling the wings off butterflies.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've been replaying Grandia 2 (Just coming to the fight with Ryudo's brother) and one thing that the game does that I really like is how it deals with the death of a party member. As you play the game you invest coins you earn in battle into special moves to learn them and then make them stronger and faster to pull off. When this character dies you get a key item from a chest shortly afterwards - this item gives you back all the SC that you spent upgrading their moves so it avoids the flaw that a lot of those situations have, the "Oh no, my best equipment is gone with him" factor so you don't resent them for dying so you can feel badly that they're dead. (This doesn't apply to magic as that is based on powering up key items, not characters)

Edit: Also, Millenia is loving awesome. Love that character.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 08:32 on Feb 23, 2016

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
In Mad Max, there are Strongholds in each major area which act as a base for you - they're where you can take a different car than the Magnum Opus out into the world, and they have projects you can build for benefits.
Two of these projects are:
The Survey Crew, which marks all lootable locations in the areas within the base's territory. No need to go out and search for some little 2-scrap location in sandfuck nowhere, it'll get added to your map instantly with this.
The Scrap Crew, which autocollects scrap resulting from destroying enemy vehicles within the base's territory. Now when you're busting up a bunch of cars, you don't have to get out and grab the scrap, you can just keep driving.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
If your game has a ton of collectibles, there absolutely should be an unlockable way to put the ones you're missing on your map at some point. I've been too spoiled by it in the games that include it!

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

flatluigi posted:

If your game has a ton of collectibles, there absolutely should be an unlockable way to put the ones you're missing on your map at some point. I've been too spoiled by it in the games that include it!

Wasn't it the 2nd Spider-Man game that originally implemented this? (Maybe Hulk?) It was such a game chnaging thing to see all those wee dots on the mini-map after playing Saints Row 2 and using a printed out map and a marker to find every little thing.

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

Also, the "Stay still!" QTEs were clever. Any time your characters were hiding and needed to be still, the game would actually force you to hold still, using the motion sensor in the controller to determine if you were moving. It was super-sensitive, too, so you actually had to stay stock-still to pass it. In a real tense bit at the end where there are a bunch of those, I was even afraid to breathe.

man, Shenmue 2 really got me with that barber who gets the razor to your throat and says, "Don't panic" as a huge QTE prompt flashes up on screen. I failed that at least 15 times, no word of a lie because at first I was just so used to pressing the button and then I was convinced I had to press and hold it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Until Dawn has another that is kind of like that where multiple times you're given a gun and a valid response is to not shoot.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

flatluigi posted:

Sleeping Dogs is so good about that. And the way you unlock them even makes sense and feels like an actual reward.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
Saints row 4 has it on the map after a loyalty quest, GTA V you still have to print out a map, or keep the collectible map website open and hope you don't refresh the page. I guess this technically counts for "dragging this game down" :/

For content in SR4 in one of the Julius audio logs, he pronounces "playa" (i.e. Player) wrong. Instead of "play-ah" he says the way playa is pronounced in Spanish (playa=beach, plah-yah), but they kept it in, don't know if it was for $ or because they thought it was funny.

Also the whole Keith David = Julius = Keith David thing. "I'm NOTHING like Julius."

Thin Privilege has a new favorite as of 18:33 on Feb 23, 2016

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I noticed that too and considering how difficult it was to even get the game to market they probably didn't have enough time or money for another take.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Thin Privilege posted:

Saints row 4 has it on the map after a loyalty quest, GTA V you still have to print out a map, or keep the collectible map website open and hope you don't refresh the page. I guess this technically counts for "dragging this game down" :/

For content in SR4 in one of the Julius audio logs, he pronounces "playa" (i.e. Player) wrong. Instead of "play-ah" he says the way playa is pronounced in Spanish (playa=beach, plah-yah), but they kept it in, don't know if it was for $ or because they thought it was funny.

Also the whole Keith David = Julius = Keith David thing. "I'm NOTHING like Julius."

The collectible finder in SR4 was fantastic but collecting all the drat clusters was still a massive pain in the rear end.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Until Dawn has another that is kind of like that where multiple times you're given a gun and a valid response is to not shoot.

There's a similar one in Spec Ops: The Line where a mob kills your buddy and thrusts control back into your hands with the mob staring you down. You actually have three options: You can fall into the gameplay trap they designed by firing on them, causing them to panic, you can walk through their shack city anyway while getting death glares, or you can fire once in the air, kill nobody, and they all still scatter.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Happened in Heavy Rain too - the bit where the crazy religious dude whips a cross out of his pocket in a very gun-like manner while Jayden and the other cop have guns on him.

Full disclosure: the only reason I didn't shoot the guy is because my reflexes were too slow.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

razorrozar posted:

The collectible finder in SR4 was fantastic but collecting all the drat clusters was still a massive pain in the rear end.

What's nice in this situation, though, is if you have a buddy playing with you, I believe it's the case that any clusters you collect will be added to their count, and vice versa.
It's been some time since I played, so if I'm wrong, I apologize.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

razorrozar posted:

Happened in Heavy Rain too - the bit where the crazy religious dude whips a cross out of his pocket in a very gun-like manner while Jayden and the other cop have guns on him.

Full disclosure: the only reason I didn't shoot the guy is because my reflexes were too slow.

I liked that you can shoot that guy at pretty much any time during Blake's angry shouting match with him, that scene really pours on the tension. If you do shoot him, Blake gets mad and asks why you did it, to which your responses can vary from "I thought he was going to attack you" to "he was an rear end in a top hat and I was tired of listening to him"

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

CJacobs posted:

I liked that you can shoot that guy at pretty much any time during Blake's angry shouting match with him, that scene really pours on the tension. If you do shoot him, Blake gets mad and asks why you did it, to which your responses can vary from "I thought he was going to attack you" to "he was an rear end in a top hat and I was tired of listening to him"

Blake's a lot nicer to you for awhile after you shoot the dude as well.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

razorrozar posted:

What was nice is that when you do finally collect that final cluster there's a unique response for every voice saying something along the lines of "wow, I actually collected them all!"

They went even further with Gat Out Of Hell where every one of a type of collectible has a unique quip for both Gat and Kinzie.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Sad lions posted:

I don't have the means to actually test how good it is but Alien Isolation (on the PS4 at least, unsure about others) can use the camera to use your actual head tilt to make your character do the same and, more interestingly, use the microphone to detect whether you've made any loud noises that the enemies could pick up on.
Kind of wish I had that set up for my first run since the game (especially during the hive section) gave me some pretty good reminders of how it felt watching the movies for the first time (and entirely too young for them) and I would naturally go super quiet as I listened out for the sound of things moving around as Amanda hid under a desk.

I had the microphone hooked up playing it once, and poo poo was tense as hell, being stalked by the Alien. Ended up hiding under a gurney when my girlfriend came home after having picked up our son. He runs to me screaming "DAAA DAAA DAA DAAAA" at the top of his lungs, tipping the Alien off to where I was hiding and ending up in my face being eaten.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

razorrozar posted:

But collecting the clusters was fun though. I was kind of disappointed it was over when I got the last one.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Biplane posted:

I had the microphone hooked up playing it once, and poo poo was tense as hell, being stalked by the Alien. Ended up hiding under a gurney when my girlfriend came home after having picked up our son. He runs to me screaming "DAAA DAAA DAA DAAAA" at the top of his lungs, tipping the Alien off to where I was hiding and ending up in my face being eaten.

"You've doomed us both, Timmy! You've doomed us both!"

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I had a great bit of emergent gameplay with Fallout 4 today.

So I grabbed my first power armor from Concord, as is expected by the game, and started wandering around the map. A little ways to the north of that initial area is a quarry that is completely flooded, with an elaborate set of stairs leading up to the top. There's a "ramp" of stone that leads into the water, so my first reaction was in this many steps:

• Oh man, Power Armors let me breathe forever right? I bet I can explore down there.
  • That overhang is really cool, I want to jump off of that.
  • There's like a zero percent chance that there's nothing interesting in the bottom of a quarry with a ramp basically asking you to walk in.
  • I should just cannonball the gently caress in on the Power Armor and sink to the bottom so I can explore if there's any cool things down there before walking out on that ramp!

So I did exactly that. What I didn't know is that the quarry isn't just filled with water, the quarry is loving deep. Like, at least four or five stories deep. And the path OUT of that place is needlessly long and convoluted, because you're supposed to drain the fucker first. I got frustrated with the narrow catwalks that I kept falling off of that I just walked my fuchsia power armor by the bottom of the stairs in the very bottom of the quarry and swam out.

There's a dude named Sully Mathis nearby that wants me to drain the quarry, so I did so. I swam around and hit three different valves that let me get it started, but it "is going to take a while" (Read: come back when we reload the location without water) so I just hosed off for a while and decided I would fast travel back and grab my pretty pink power armor at some point later.

When I come back next, the place is completely overrun with raiders. There are probably a good 3-4 dozen not just in the hugely deep quarry, but around it as well. I figured that Sully must have gotten knocked off by a group that moved in to these swanky new digs, so I start walking my way through the raiders with my slapped-together leather armor pieces popping Stimpacks like a motherfucker in order to get down to the bottom. I am pissed at how this is going, because I just want my power armor, but I can't get down to it without just jumping off the side. Only Power Armor gives you fall damage immunity. I could have just hopped to the bottom and got in it as quickly as possible, but then I'd be surrounded on all sides by raiders who can just fire downward at me to repeatedly kill me. So I'm stuck plugging away at a sizable "dungeon" just to get back my dumb rear end's power armor.

As I'm putting fresh lead into raider heads about halfway down this 5-story-deep quarry, I hear a faint "ka-shunt ka-shunt ka-shunt" sound coming from below me. I loop around a few tunnels that spit me out toward the last stairway down to the bottom of the quarry, and now I can a louder "ka-shunt ka-shunt ka-shunt ka-shUNT KA-SHUNT KA-SHUNT"

Running up the stairway, as a hot pink blur of metal and death, is Sully "Motherfucking" Mathis. He wasn't killed by the raiders--he's their leader. And I had left my power armor directly next to where he usually stands, so as soon as I made my presence known, he hopped in as a gear trade-up.

Sully Mathis spawns in at Level 30. I was level 7. My weapon was a barely-upgraded 10mm Handgun. And here's this rear end in a top hat, in my Power Armor, kicking my rear end up and down the stairs on this goddamn shithole of a quarry. I start shooting the hell out of him, realizing that as I'm doing so, my power armor is getting more and more damaged, so I'm going to have to pony up the resources to fix the drat thing once I pry Sully's cold, dead body out of it.

Through a few molotovs I tossed, about 20 shots from the 10mm handgun, and finally capping it off by using up my Crit in VATS, I killed the son of a bitch and put the armor on. I had to carry all the pieces with me and only wear the skeleton of the armor out because they were all broken. I'm pissed, I'm slightly relieved to have my broken-by-my-own-hand Power Armor, and I just want to clear out the rest of the treasure and get the gently caress out of dodge, so I explore the bottom of the quarry and am about to walk my way back up and out when I realize:

There's an elevator on the bottom floor. I could have, at any point, just explored the bottom a little more closely and walked out with my power armor when the quarry was still flooded. I could have rode this poo poo right on out and never looked at this loving quarry again. Instead, I killed more raiders in one spot than my settlement populations combined, and repeatedly bit the curb so Sully "Motherfucking" Mathis can curbstomp me with his Level 30 foot inside of my hot pink loving T-45 Power Boots.

And the cherry on the loving cake for this whole event:

I found the T-51 power armor no more than 5 minutes after repairing the T-45.

:nutshot:

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
My Concord power arm evaporated into thin air in my Sanctuary safe house.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Did you take the power core out? Raiders/rando NPCs/the general population can get in and steal it while you're away if you don't, which I guess is a little thing in itself.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

CJacobs posted:

Did you take the power core out? Raiders/rando NPCs/the general population can get in and steal it while you're away if you don't, which I guess is a little thing in itself.

Nope. I didn't even know that was an option at the time. I figured it out as I played more, and the power armor is a lot of fun. I really like that people can just take it, because of course they would, and for as frustrating as the fight in that quarry was, it was completely worth it to have that story.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Not you, Pocket Billiards.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
I had been taking the core out, but I could have forgotten.

I ran around sanctuary for a while in larger and larger concentric circles and nothing.

I think somehow I had put the parts from the Concord suit that I had been upgrading onto another frame I found. The suit on the map was just a spare frame.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

death .cab for qt posted:

Running up the stairway, as a hot pink blur of metal and death, is Sully "Motherfucking" Mathis.

That was some good schadenfreude, thanks for sharing that.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I had forgotten how fun the intro to the final dungeon in Grandia 2 is. Ryudo gets a new Granasaber (ultimate weapon) forged from the light in the human heart instead of the light of Granas (the Good God, killed long before the story starts) and declares it to be the true power of light, with the deceased Granas's light being no more than a crutch. Valmar (The main villain/evil god) declares that he is unimpressed and draws the party in for the fight. It's basically this:

Ryudo: We'll kick 7 kinds of poo poo out of you!
Valmar: Oh yeah? COME AND HAVE A GO IF YOU THINK YOU'RE HARD ENOUGH!

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009
On my current play through, I left my first power armour in the Power Armour repair station at Sanctuary. I'm playing with a few damage/difficulty mods, making me die in one or two hits, and making enemies do the same, so I felt that stomping around in Power Armour might be cheating a bit. My plan for this time around is to go full Brotherhood, and convert every settlement into a Brotherhood base, using yet more mods to let me make brotherhood outfits and stuff for the settlers and poo poo. Even got some .bat files that will allow mer to rename the settlers from "Settler" to things like "Brotherhood Knight" and "Scribe etc etc and so forth.

Anyway, I'm not that far into the game yet, just went and got Piper and then went and found the BOS police station so I can start that chain. I left the armour behind in Sanctuary. I returned to Sanctuary (loaded with some nice weapons for my settlers and junk for crafting) to find a random Settler stomping around in my armour. Had themselves a modded M14 rifle too, and were happily patrolling the entire settlement, despite not being ordered to or having a job. I figured that was okay, why not let them have their fun, and I wasn't using it anyway. Go patrol your little heart out good buddy!

A few days later I returned and found the fucker had somehow climbed onto the roof of the building and abandoned it there. Trashcan Carlas brahmin had gotten up there too.

Why leave it up there man? Don't be such a dick.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Pocket Billiards posted:

My Concord power arm evaporated into thin air in my Sanctuary safe house.

This happened to me too, and it was right after Danse had promised me a shiny new power armor for joining the Brotherhood. Almost like they sent someone in to steal it so the reward would be more appealing.

So I killed them all and crashed their airship, the fuckers.

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009

haveblue posted:

This happened to me too, and it was right after Danse had promised me a shiny new power armor for joining the Brotherhood. Almost like they sent someone in to steal it so the reward would be more appealing.

So I killed them all and crashed their airship, the fuckers.

Did you check the roof?

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

graybook posted:

In Mad Max, there are Strongholds in each major area which act as a base for you - they're where you can take a different car than the Magnum Opus out into the world, and they have projects you can build for benefits.
Two of these projects are:
The Survey Crew, which marks all lootable locations in the areas within the base's territory. No need to go out and search for some little 2-scrap location in sandfuck nowhere, it'll get added to your map instantly with this.
The Scrap Crew, which autocollects scrap resulting from destroying enemy vehicles within the base's territory. Now when you're busting up a bunch of cars, you don't have to get out and grab the scrap, you can just keep driving.

The Cleanup Crew's the one that autocollects vehicle wreckage. Scrap Crew is arguably even better because it gives you free scrap for the time you had the game closed, so you still make progress even when you aren't playing.

Also speaking of Mad Max, I just noticed last night that when you're health is so low that the game goes into black and white, all the openable doors and climbable objects that are painted yellow are still yellow, so you can still find your way around easily on low health.

I wish the Survey Crew worked for finding the drat minefields though. That poo poo is tedious.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

princecoo posted:

Did you check the roof?

:ocelot:

Completely gone, it didn't have an indicator on the map any more.

In hindsight maybe one of my settlers stole it.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Icedude posted:

The Cleanup Crew's the one that autocollects vehicle wreckage. Scrap Crew is arguably even better because it gives you free scrap for the time you had the game closed, so you still make progress even when you aren't playing.

Also speaking of Mad Max, I just noticed last night that when you're health is so low that the game goes into black and white, all the openable doors and climbable objects that are painted yellow are still yellow, so you can still find your way around easily on low health.

I wish the Survey Crew worked for finding the drat minefields though. That poo poo is tedious.

Ah yes - thanks for the correction.
And yeah, screw finding the minefields on your own. I feel so dang unprotected driving around in Chum's Buggy.
But then sometimes someone shows up to pick a fight while I'm defusing bombs.

So at that point, if I've found a mine, I try and bait them into it. Thus far, in my experience, baiting a car doesn't work, but once the driver gets out, they'll run right over the mine.
Another great little thing is that defusing the mine gets you some ammo (though I don't think I've ever done this and not been at full ammo, given armory projects and how you have to go to a stronghold to drive the buggy anyways).

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Oh god it's the Clone Saga all over again.
I got a F4 power armour story if we're all sharing.

Pretty early in the Minutemen questline you retake their old headquarters, which is this massive civil war era castle, and I decided to use it to store all my suits of power armour (I had 4 complete suits which is pretty lucky early in the game, I bumped into a Brotherhood patrol that got killed by a raider who had a Fat Boy for some reason, long story). Later on I realised while dicking about in build mode that there was a secret passage blocked up by debris that lead into the basement.

Now, this area is supposed to be found during a later quest, but it's easy to stumble upon early. It's also guarded by a massive robot with rocket launchers and poo poo. I hadn't really prepared for a fight so I was getting my rear end kicked, so I figured I'd get upstairs and armour up and it followed me through the loving door. So suddenly I'm having this huge robot fight in the middle of a ton of newly arrived settlers, and I'm nearly dead so I'm pretty sure I'm gonna need to reload until the robot starts focusing it's attention on my guards, who in the confusion had taken all of my power suits. We managed to take out the robot without anyone dying and I found out that settlers could wear power armour in the best way possible.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Disproportionation posted:

I got a F4 power armour story if we're all sharing.

Pretty early in the Minutemen questline you retake their old headquarters, which is this massive civil war era castle, and I decided to use it to store all my suits of power armour (I had 4 complete suits which is pretty lucky early in the game, I bumped into a Brotherhood patrol that got killed by a raider who had a Fat Boy for some reason, long story). Later on I realised while dicking about in build mode that there was a secret passage blocked up by debris that lead into the basement.

Now, this area is supposed to be found during a later quest, but it's easy to stumble upon early. It's also guarded by a massive robot with rocket launchers and poo poo. I hadn't really prepared for a fight so I was getting my rear end kicked, so I figured I'd get upstairs and armour up and it followed me through the loving door. So suddenly I'm having this huge robot fight in the middle of a ton of newly arrived settlers, and I'm nearly dead so I'm pretty sure I'm gonna need to reload until the robot starts focusing it's attention on my guards, who in the confusion had taken all of my power suits. We managed to take out the robot without anyone dying and I found out that settlers could wear power armour in the best way possible.

I have a complete set of t-45, t-51, and some spare t-60 parts that are all painted that pink which gives bonus AGL, with 3 settlers at the gas station settlement.

I think i'm going to put fusion cores in them all instead of letting them sit on display :getin:

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Not played it much but night time in FarCry: Primal is pretty neat. Especially when you see several pairs of glowing white eyes in the dense under brush before a pack of wolves rip you to shreds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I thought people had to undergo power armor training before they could wear power armor. Did they just remove that concept from the game?