Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

Kai Tave posted:

That kind of sounds like the dragons are working against their own interests there.

It seems that I'm becoming the Goon to Dragonlance what Arivia is to Forgotten Realms.

Basically there are ten tribes of dragonkind in the setting, one for each of the chromatic and metallic branches. As the eldest mortal race dragons have acted more or less as exemplars of the gods, Paladine (Bahamut) and Takhisis (Tiamat) who were the head of their respective pantheons.

The metallic dragons realize that they have a lot of power, and so they take a hands-off approach to affairs of the shorter-lived races of goblins, humans, etc and primarily live on the Dragon Isles. They usually intervene when bad poo poo happens, but otherwise try to keep out of politicking.

Takhisis and the metallic dragons, however, seek to rule all of Krynn. This manifested as a series of three major wars throughout the ages, and during the Third Dragonwar Takhisis' forces were all but victorious and even the metallic dragons were nearly gone. The Dragonlances were forged as a sort of desperation measure by the forces of Good.

And Dragonlances don't just deal extra damage to dragons. They sap away their very life force, so even a grazing blow can end up deleterious. In 3rd Edition this manifested as permanent Constitution loss with every hit.

Also, a variety of factors in the current ages when the Chronicles and major books are set (the 4th and 5th Ages) means that the metallic dragon's numbers are very low. So when push comes to shove, the Dragonlances were primarily meant to be used against Takhisis' loyalists.

I konw that Dragonlance gets a rap for a lot of hackneyed and cliche fantasy things, but some of their world-building ideas have deeper stuff to them.

Edit: and now I noticed that an earlier poster explained quite a bit of this by homullus.

On a semi-related note, I'm kind of surprised that given their increased focus on secondary media for 5th that we haven't heard anything Dragonlance-related in the works. Sure the time they made a movie was super-crappy, but the books still sell if written by Weis, Hickman, or another established author.

Libertad! fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Feb 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

What makes me shake my head, is that I know I saw this kind of poo poo in the later 3.x monster manuals. A friend who runs Pathfinder has complained about players turning their characters into part-time sages to suck those statblock bits dry at their first encounter. This is by no means A 4E Thing.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Libertad! posted:

It seems that I'm becoming the Goon to Dragonlance what Arivia is to Forgotten Realms.

Basically there are ten tribes of dragonkind in the setting, one for each of the chromatic and metallic branches. As the eldest mortal race dragons have acted more or less as exemplars of the gods, Paladine (Bahamut) and Takhisis (Tiamat) who were the head of their respective pantheons.

The metallic dragons realize that they have a lot of power, and so they take a hands-off approach to affairs of the shorter-lived races of goblins, humans, etc and primarily live on the Dragon Isles. They usually intervene when bad poo poo happens, but otherwise try to keep out of politicking.

Takhisis and the metallic dragons, however, seek to rule all of Krynn. This manifested as a series of three major wars throughout the ages, and during the Third Dragonwar Takhisis' forces were all but victorious and even the metallic dragons were nearly gone. The Dragonlances were forged as a sort of desperation measure by the forces of Good.

And Dragonlances don't just deal extra damage to dragons. They sap away their very life force, so even a grazing blow can end up deleterious. In 3rd Edition this manifested as permanent Constitution loss with every hit.

Also, a variety of factors in the current ages when the Chronicles and major books are set (the 4th and 5th Ages) means that the metallic dragon's numbers are very low. So when push comes to shove, the Dragonlances were primarily meant to be used against Takhisis' loyalists.

I konw that Dragonlance gets a rap for a lot of hackneyed and cliche fantasy things, but some of their world-building ideas have deeper stuff to them.

Edit: and now I noticed that an earlier poster explained quite a bit of this by homullus.

On a semi-related note, I'm kind of surprised that given their increased focus on secondary media for 5th that we haven't heard anything Dragonlance-related in the works. Sure the time they made a movie was super-crappy, but the books still sell if written by Weis, Hickman, or another established author.

I think it's because the kind of grogs they're trying to appeal to with this edition generally hate Dragonlance. To many of them it's where the game started to "go wrong"

Also, Margaret Weis is largely associated with STORYGAMES now.

As an aside I also like Dragonlance ok. You know what's really cool though? Taladas. It's relatively untouched too so you can have rad adventures across the Shining Lands involving the Imperial League of Minotaurs without worrying about what type of pie is Tasslehoff's favorite.

Also, originally Dragonlances did the wielding character's hit points in damage to dragons. I forget if it was current or max, and I also forget if that stayed the same in 2e.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Bieeardo posted:

What makes me shake my head, is that I know I saw this kind of poo poo in the later 3.x monster manuals. A friend who runs Pathfinder has complained about players turning their characters into part-time sages to suck those statblock bits dry at their first encounter. This is by no means A 4E Thing.

It was 100% a thing in 3.5, starting with MMIV. But since there aren't really any player focused rules in there, you can bet the number of people who complained that had even glanced at those books approached 0.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Bieeardo posted:

I've had two different player groups ask me "what are Orcs like in your setting?" and "what are dinosaurs like in your setting?"

It's not outside of the realm of possibility that the bears in your setting not terrestrial bears, AND the players don't automatically know about them unless they pass a skill check to establish that they do.

So again it's more to do with the fact that that Bear Lore snippet was made fun of in a vacuum, and that people had a pre-existing axe to grind with 4e to begin with.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

I've had two different player groups ask me "what are Orcs like in your setting?" and "what are dinosaurs like in your setting?"

It's not outside of the realm of possibility that the bears in your setting not terrestrial bears, AND the players don't automatically know about them unless they pass a skill check to establish that they do.

So again it's more to do with the fact that that Bear Lore snippet was made fun of in a vacuum, and that people had a pre-existing axe to grind with 4e to begin with.

In Avatar the last air bender a bear would freak people out because only one existed see Bosco

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

senrath posted:

It was 100% a thing in 3.5, starting with MMIV. But since there aren't really any player focused rules in there, you can bet the number of people who complained that had even glanced at those books approached 0.

What about grogs makes you think they wouldn't complain. MM4 an MM5 were roundly roast for those very sections, having a bunch of monsters that were just prestated NPCs, poor art, really terrible ideas for new monsters, and the ever wonderful "rules bloat" complaint that issued from every grog every time a new book came off the line for 3.5.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Terrible Opinions posted:

What about grogs makes you think they wouldn't complain. MM4 an MM5 were roundly roast for those very sections, having a bunch of monsters that were just prestated NPCs, poor art, really terrible ideas for new monsters, and the ever wonderful "rules bloat" complaint that issued from every grog every time a new book came off the line for 3.5.

MM4 I thought was a well-written book because instead of just giving you "an Orc", it gave you multiple Orcs, Orc hierarchies, and Orc groupings, so that if you ever wanted to raid an Orc camp, you'd know how many plain Orcs there were, plus their Sergeants, and then their Captains, and then their Colonels, and then their General. It harkened back to the days of "there is a level 5 Fighter for every 30 Bandits"

Which Paizo then cribbed via their Monster Codex.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

MM4 I thought was a well-written book because instead of just giving you "an Orc", it gave you multiple Orcs, Orc hierarchies, and Orc groupings, so that if you ever wanted to raid an Orc camp, you'd know how many plain Orcs there were, plus their Sergeants, and then their Captains, and then their Colonels, and then their General. It harkened back to the days of "there is a level 5 Fighter for every 30 Bandits"

Which Paizo then cribbed via their Monster Codex.

Some of those complaints were legitimate and some were not. A big book of monster NPCs is something that can be pulled off well, but at the time people got really upset because it was seen as something the DM could do on his own. It really didn't help that those new monsters that were actually included were super lack luster, like two separate undead vulture monsters that no one noticed covered the exact same conceptual ground but don't even acknowledge their redundancy. Another issue I forgot to mention was a full fourth of the book being given over to the new Spawn of Tiamat subtype who really felt like knock off draconians.

The monster codex is in general a better product and a better pr move for dealing with grogs. In addition to classed out monsters it includes various feats and new spells to spice up specific monsters and it's explicitly advertised as a collection of old monsters given further development. That last bit helps with the angry grogs that would claim they were cheated by the MM4, they just don't buy the Monster Codex because it isn't an "official" monster manual.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
The "Bear Lore" rules in 4E are obviously there for like, an angel or devil or something that's been marooned in the prime material plane to know what the hell that hairy thing is and what they can expect it to do (e.g. not spit acid or split into magical clones of itself). Even if someone else would need a DC 30 History check to learn who your grandfather was, you wouldn't.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

The Crotch posted:

Forgotten Realms, due south of Neverwinter. That strip of shoreline has been the main setting of pretty much every god drat Forgotten Realms computer game.

Really getting the most out of that setting, huh?

homullus posted:

This also doesn't include Pool of Radiance et cetera. There was a whole other generation of FR computer games.
In fact, the Pool of Radiance trilogy and Hillsfar take place in the Moonsea region, and Eye of the Beholder is set around Waterdeep, so almost every Forgotten Realms video game happens in the northwest part of that map :laugh:

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Halloween Jack posted:

In fact, the Pool of Radiance trilogy and Hillsfar take place in the Moonsea region, and Eye of the Beholder is set around Waterdeep, so almost every Forgotten Realms video game happens in the northwest part of that map :laugh:
Yeah and back then I had never seen a map of the whole Forgotten Realms, so I remember being impressed that the entire game of Hillsfar took place in such a tiny corner of the map in Curse of the Azure Bonds, and then of course my mind was blown by Secret of the Silver Blades' map... ... and now looking at this map, it is like "can you not see the Southeastern quadrant is clearly the most topographically interesting? Why did you people fixate on the most mundane section of the map? WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU"

The only thing I know about the rest of the map not covered by one of those games is about Rashemen because I was a Minsc fanboy.

Also this is important http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Sjorl

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

Halloween Jack posted:

And, of course, the Menzoberranzan game was set in Icewind Dale until you hit the Underdark, so it's -also- up there.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
People that complained about how dull 4e's flavor was should be completely ignored, if only because large sections of those critics also hated the 3e rules that tried to have any distinctive lore to them. Aka the Tome of Battle fighters, Psionics, Incarnum, and Tome of Magic casters. Even ignoring that the Psionics had a bad habit of fishing from the Wizard/Sorcerer spell list and stapling "Psionic" at the start of the power's name, and the general weakness of the Shadowcaster and completely broken (in the nonfunctional sense) Truenamer, you'd see people wondering why DMs didn't integrate them in their campaigns more. The response was always along the lines of "it just doesn't feel D&D enough."

The 3.5 MM5 is really cool, actually. It's the first (and last) one to offer detailed options on campaign-spanning monster pitches: the Dragons of the Great Game and the Mindflayers of Thoon. The dragons were interesting because they were all about scoring points on one another and provided great adventure hooks for PCs. As part of engaging in the Great Game they also had to give up their spellcasting powers, which put them more in line with being actual monsters instead of scaly big wizards. The Mindflayers of Thoon provided a nice overview of an otherworldly threat to build an adventure around and let you spin mindflayers as an actual alien threat instead of random... cave... things?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Nuns with Guns posted:

The 3.5 MM5 is really cool, actually. It's the first (and last) one to offer detailed options on campaign-spanning monster pitches: the Dragons of the Great Game and the Mindflayers of Thoon. The dragons were interesting because they were all about scoring points on one another and provided great adventure hooks for PCs. As part of engaging in the Great Game they also had to give up their spellcasting powers, which put them more in line with being actual monsters instead of scaly big wizards. The Mindflayers of Thoon provided a nice overview of an otherworldly threat to build an adventure around and let you spin mindflayers as an actual alien threat instead of random... cave... things?

The MM5 really felt like a missed opportunity; like they were trying to shove several ideas into the monster manual format that didn't fit. A 64-128 page book on Thoon and how to integrate it into your game would have been better than several monster manual entries and same thing for the Great Game.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

The MM5 really felt like a missed opportunity; like they were trying to shove several ideas into the monster manual format that didn't fit. A 64-128 page book on Thoon and how to integrate it into your game would have been better than several monster manual entries and same thing for the Great Game.

Maybe, but there's no way that would've sold as well as something labeled "Monster Manual". plus it provided a better way to unite a few templated creatures together than taking a regular badguy race and stacking a few class levels on some of them the way MM4 filled page space. Would've been cool to get one or two campaign pitches like that spread across the earlier monster manuals

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Dr. Quarex posted:

Yeah and back then I had never seen a map of the whole Forgotten Realms, so I remember being impressed that the entire game of Hillsfar took place in such a tiny corner of the map in Curse of the Azure Bonds, and then of course my mind was blown by Secret of the Silver Blades' map... ... and now looking at this map, it is like "can you not see the Southeastern quadrant is clearly the most topographically interesting? Why did you people fixate on the most mundane section of the map? WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU"

The only thing I know about the rest of the map not covered by one of those games is about Rashemen because I was a Minsc fanboy.

Also this is important http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Sjorl

That's the 4th Edition map which blew southern Faerun the gently caress up because nothing interesting was being done with it and parts of it (Mulhorand) were kind of racist. It was pretty "meh" before then. You should've seen video games in that awesome giant rift and such, but WOTC spent the prime time for that suing Atari over bullshit. The map's also missing the two NWN expansions, Shadows of Undrentide (Silver Marches under the Icewind Dale II logo and the Anauroch/Netheril SE of it) and Hordes of the Underdark (Waterdeep under the NWN 2 logo and below, which also had some other games set in it)

Really everything is crammed into the northwest because that's where Drizzt is and thus a lot of the novels.

Kavak fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Feb 24, 2016

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Dr. Quarex posted:

"can you not see the Southeastern quadrant is clearly the most topographically interesting? Why did you people fixate on the most mundane section of the map? WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU"

Because mundane and boring is what they want. There are I poo poo you not 5e fans who are still salty about dragonborn being in the 5e PHB even after it was regulated to a "these races are super rare and you need DM permission to play them" because they're too exotic. They don't want fantastic. They want familiar.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Nuns with Guns posted:

People that complained about how dull 4e's flavor was should be completely ignored, if only because large sections of those critics also hated the 3e rules that tried to have any distinctive lore to them. Aka the Tome of Battle fighters, Psionics, Incarnum, and Tome of Magic casters. Even ignoring that the Psionics had a bad habit of fishing from the Wizard/Sorcerer spell list and stapling "Psionic" at the start of the power's name, and the general weakness of the Shadowcaster and completely broken (in the nonfunctional sense) Truenamer, you'd see people wondering why DMs didn't integrate them in their campaigns more. The response was always along the lines of "it just doesn't feel D&D enough."

This is a very salient point and I'll try to keep it in mind.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

gradenko_2000 posted:

This is a very salient point and I'll try to keep it in mind.

Yeah, it's worth noting that even for diehard 3.X fans it isn't just a matter of "3.X = better than 4E because it's 3.X" across the board, Tome of Battle got roundly poo poo on for being too anime and unrealistic and dumb, various other books like the ones listed were frequently ignored and set aside in favor of more "traditional" material, Eberron got sideways looks for being "too steampunk" even though it's nothing even like steampunk, etc. A fair bit of 3.X stuff published during the WotC days doesn't pass muster for a certain segment of the player base. And even with Paizo you see this, the Gunslinger class they came out with generated plenty of Not In My Campaign even though under the hood it isn't even that great.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Kavak posted:

You should've seen video games in that awesome giant rift and such, but WOTC spent the prime time for that suing Atari over bullshit.
Trust me, for WotC's faults this was entirely Atari being incompetent fucks. Hell, it was far from the only property or subsidiary they shat on in this time period.

ProfessorCirno posted:

Because mundane and boring is what they want. There are I poo poo you not 5e fans who are still salty about dragonborn being in the 5e PHB even after it was regulated to a "these races are super rare and you need DM permission to play them" because they're too exotic. They don't want fantastic. They want familiar.
Unless it's new spells and powers to make their wizard more badass, of course. It's still hilarious that the few things 5e actually took from 4e (like at-will power) were only given to spellcasters. :downs:

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Asimo posted:

Unless it's new spells and powers to make their wizard more badass, of course. It's still hilarious that the few things 5e actually took from 4e (like at-will power) were only given to spellcasters. :downs:

Is it too out of bounds to say that I was not at all surprised that Mike Mearls kept the parts of 4th that helped the nerd wish fulfillment class after just seeing a picture of him?

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

e: You know what, I missed like a page and a half of posts, never mind.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Kavak posted:

Is it too out of bounds to say that I was not at all surprised that Mike Mearls kept the parts of 4th that helped the nerd wish fulfillment class after just seeing a picture of him?

After a quick Google image search, I'm inclined to agree with you.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Asimo posted:

Trust me, for WotC's faults this was entirely Atari being incompetent fucks. Hell, it was far from the only property or subsidiary they shat on in this time period.

I knew about Atari sitting with their thumb up their rear end with the D&D license, but what else got shafted?

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Kai Tave posted:

Yeah, it's worth noting that even for diehard 3.X fans it isn't just a matter of "3.X = better than 4E because it's 3.X" across the board, Tome of Battle got roundly poo poo on for being too anime and unrealistic and dumb, various other books like the ones listed were frequently ignored and set aside in favor of more "traditional" material, Eberron got sideways looks for being "too steampunk" even though it's nothing even like steampunk, etc. A fair bit of 3.X stuff published during the WotC days doesn't pass muster for a certain segment of the player base. And even with Paizo you see this, the Gunslinger class they came out with generated plenty of Not In My Campaign even though under the hood it isn't even that great.
This reminds me of when my fellow Goon Captain Rat came back from Gen-Con excitedly with Iron Heroes about a decade ago, and passed it around our usual gaming table for everyone to peruse. The guy who typically GMs for us got, like, visually angry about the entire concept of a game that functionally eschews magic in a D&D-mechanical setting, and refused to ever play it. This is the same guy who hates 4th Edition for the usual reasons, and yet at least in the case of 4th Edition he played it a few times before deciding he hated it...whereas he would literally not even deign to spend a moment playing Iron Heroes because it so opposed his vision of what D&D is supposed to be. People have some very strong feelings about this for reasons I cannot begin to fathom.

Although...now I see that Mike Mearls made Iron Heroes, so I just do not know what to think about who has done what bad thing in this hobby.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

Dr. Quarex posted:

This reminds me of when my fellow Goon Captain Rat came back from Gen-Con excitedly with Iron Heroes about a decade ago, and passed it around our usual gaming table for everyone to peruse. The guy who typically GMs for us got, like, visually angry about the entire concept of a game that functionally eschews magic in a D&D-mechanical setting, and refused to ever play it. This is the same guy who hates 4th Edition for the usual reasons, and yet at least in the case of 4th Edition he played it a few times before deciding he hated it...whereas he would literally not even deign to spend a moment playing Iron Heroes because it so opposed his vision of what D&D is supposed to be. People have some very strong feelings about this for reasons I cannot begin to fathom.

Although...now I see that Mike Mearls made Iron Heroes, so I just do not know what to think about who has done what bad thing in this hobby.

Iron Heroes is by no means perfect, it could benefit from a second edition and injecting some 4e- and 5e-concepts to replace the clunky 3e clutter. What I mean by that is, it's a flawed game and one can certainly refuse to play it over legitimate issues.

But "it eschews magic so it must suck"? Wow. Just... wow.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Dr. Quarex posted:

Your GM sounds like an idiot, sorry. And Iron Heroes isn't even GREAT, the concept is way better than the execution, but still.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Joke's on him, Mearls couldn't commit to the idea 100% and there's still an Arcanist class in the corebook and a Spiritualist class in the Player's Companion.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

Nuns with Guns posted:

The other really cool thing the MMV did was look at how monster battles actually worked. In particular, a boss monster is likely to last about five rounds in 3.5 in an average game. So, very few monsters in MMV are full spell casters with long lists of spells they can cast. Instead, they have a few cool big abilities, and sometimes things to let them act more than once on their initiative order, in order to get the most out of that monster. That's why dragons of the great game lose their spellcasting. This was something you saw a lot in 4e, where solo monsters were designed to have four or five cool things they could do, and generally do more than one thing in a round.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

Joke's on him, Mearls couldn't commit to the idea 100% and there's still an Arcanist class in the corebook and a Spiritualist class in the Player's Companion.

Also, in classic Mearls fashion there's some pretty dysfunctional stuff in Iron Heros. My favorite is the Armiger's reverse defender issue where it's a heavily defensive class that build up tokens to do more damage and other stuff by being attacked. Meaning the proper response to one is to ignore it.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

JackMann posted:

The other really cool thing the MMV did was look at how monster battles actually worked. In particular, a boss monster is likely to last about five rounds in 3.5 in an average game. So, very few monsters in MMV are full spell casters with long lists of spells they can cast. Instead, they have a few cool big abilities, and sometimes things to let them act more than once on their initiative order, in order to get the most out of that monster. That's why dragons of the great game lose their spellcasting. This was something you saw a lot in 4e, where solo monsters were designed to have four or five cool things they could do, and generally do more than one thing in a round.

Right, MMV is from the later parts of 3.5 where they started looking at the game design critically and figuring out what they could improve for the next one. 4e wasn't perfect at release but you can definitely see where the developers showed their work.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I knew about Atari sitting with their thumb up their rear end with the D&D license, but what else got shafted?
A big example is Cryptic Games. Apparently Atari had no idea how MMOs were even supposed to work and wanted Cryptic to 1) release a new MMO every year, and 2) only do paid DLC content for them, not any sort of free updates or support. When it became obvious that neither of these were really viable they pulled support from the games, and more than that, actually sabotaged Cryptic when they went looking for a new publisher by unnecessary downsizing and failing to pay the few who stayed on, leading to something like a year-long stretch where Champions OInline and Star Trek Online only had patches and support basically due to volunteer work from the three or four remaining coders.

It's not a big stretch to assume they simply sat on the D&D license intentionally when it became clear WotC wanted more control over things, especially when the Neverwinter MMO only came out well after Cyptic found a new publisher.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Sage Genesis posted:

But "it eschews magic so it must suck"? Wow. Just... wow.

Kai Tave posted:

Your GM sounds like an idiot, sorry. And Iron Heroes isn't even GREAT, the concept is way better than the execution, but still.
Yeah he is a very interesting guy. He used to be the person who introduced us to all kinds of obscure gaming systems ... but I guess he has that D&D blind spot where only The One Way This Must Work is acceptable.

He has certainly run most of my favorite campaigns...though most of those were also ones where we played ourselves, and I think that is fairly system-agnostic as to why it is fun (or not fun, depending, as I know this subforum generally does not understand the appeal there). It would certainly be nice if there were no super-angry system warriors in this hobby though.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Sage Genesis posted:

A weird trend I noticed even as a green gamer back in the 90s without internet is that you had these game lines with their own cosmologies and they all tried to establish their own supremacy over the others.

It all feels a bit like petty office politics, different cliques trying to one-up each other over the lowest, most imaginary stakes of all time.
I'll hazard a guess that it wasn't petty office politics, just all of these writers wanting to make the campaign setting they were working on unique, without some greater D&D cosmology constantly shutting them down. (Dark Sun was originally going to be even further afield from the D&D high fantasy cliches before marketing insisted they make it more elfy-dwarfy.) I've tried making a homebrew D&D campaign setting, and even if you're already planning to work within the vague D&D milieu of "a party of adventurers roams around exploring dungeons, fighting enemies, getting treasure and leveling up," there's a remarkable amount of crap that gets in the way. I'm having a hard time thinking of specific examples, but a big one is rationalizing the presence of all those magic spells in the world, even if you work from the assumption that wizards and high-level characters are both rare.

Leperflesh posted:

But, apparently, TTRPG writers who simply aren't temperamentally suited to direct criticism of their work - even on the level of dispassionate, technical review - aren't just common, they're the norm. Even among some of the biggest names in the industry. When I hear that the D&D team were not only not interested in hearing that something in their playtest didn't work right, but that they went out of their way to delete comments pointing out that kind of problem, it's boggling. I mean, gently caress, good competent review usually costs a pile of money. Here the D&D guys are in the extremely enviable position of having a legion of highly experienced experts who are climbing over one another to QA your work for free, and you're actively censoring their feedback?

I think it goes beyond just a cycle of players traumatized by poor writing not realizing that poor writing isn't actually inevitable. They're not even aware that they're documenting a technical system, and there are bugs in both the system and in their documentation of it, and that they can only benefit by having those bugs identified and reported. Instead, they're Artists, and few artists love a critic.
Not only are a lot of creators bad at documenting and explaining their design, the design itself is poor. It drives me crazy when designers defend their work by saying "We were hung up on numbers and rules, man, we were thinking about fun!" Which means they just eyeballed it and didn't do any real work.

I think the impolitic fact is that the medium as we know it is only about 40 years old, and some of its best-known creators are guys who got into the business decades ago. The idea that game design is technology and some of these creators aren't really technically proficient is anathema to them and their fans. It's probably clear to everyone posting here that Gygax's work left a lot to be desired as time went by, but that's heresy in some circles. And I can't help but see some veteran designers' work as out-of-touch and downright lazy when they publish a new book that takes current game design and implements it badly. The narrative rules in Monte Cook's Numenara are perhaps the best example.

Kai Tave posted:

In the case of D&D specifically the sudden upswell in importance of "natural language" can be directly traced back to 4E's attempt to cut away a lot of the extraneous language and filler text and consolidating things with a keyword system. People complained every which way about this, ranging from "it's too boring and dull and doesn't excite my imaginative juices like Gygaxian prose" to "ugh thanks 4E, now fireballs and swords are exactly the same thing."

Asimo posted:

I can sort of understand the complaints about 4e's power blocks being dry. The trouble is that, yeah, most of the nerds whining about it complained about the wrong part (the clear, concise, usefully presented mechanical language) and not the actual issue (the flavor text for the powers being brief and dry).
You cannot win with these people. These are the people who said that D&D 4 was too complex, with too many rules, and in the same breadth said that it "dumbed D&D down." I don't think this is a case of different people criticizing D&D 4 for different reasons, but the same people finding reasons to criticize something they decided they hated before they read a word of it.

If D&D 4's power blocks are dry, because 4e has no imagination. But if the powers have names like Leaping Tiger Strike, that's "anime." Oh, and if the power blocks do have flavour, they get criticized on dumb "immersion" grounds--you can't describe a rogue encounter power as kicking sand in someone's face, because then why can't I do that every turn? Or what if there's no sand? :doh:

The subject of keywords leads into a general rant regarding a real bugbear of mine: how it became conventional wisdom, even among the design team, that the progression of editions was a progression of increasingly complex rules. As if AD&D wasn't complicated as gently caress. (A good example for comparison is turn undead. In 4e, it's a simple attack power that inflicts damage and status effects. But it has all those keywords! That's, like a bazillion rules you have to memorize, never mind that that's not really true. Meanwhile, the AD&D 1 rules for turn undead are about 500 words of "natural language" including a chart you have to keep referring to unless you've memorized how a cleric of X level affects Y type of undead.) Basic gets completely left out of this discussion...like, Mearls would discuss the progression from D&D to AD&D to AD&D 2 to D&D 3 to D&D 4 without acknowledge its existence until not long before they released the 5e "Basic."

Asimo posted:

This is a bit harsher than I would have phrased it, but yeah this is something I sort of slowly realized a few years ago and why I mentioned the bathroom reader aspect. This biggest thing really is that it's hardly unique to D&D (I suspect Exalted for example has hit a lot of the same notes for people, if in slightly different manners) but 3e is definitely the perfect example of it.
White Wolf is probably the undisputed king of Bathroom RPGs, going back to Vampire. The dirty secret of the 90s supplement treadmill model of the 90s-00s is that those books allowed you to feel engaged as a fan even when no one was willing to play 7th Sea or whatever with you.

Sage Genesis posted:

One thing I've noticed over the years is that 3e was made with the assistance of witchcraft. Because for some reason it managed to convince people that things had always been this way. I can't even begin to count the number of times someone said "4e changed this thing which all previous editions had", where all "all editions" of course actually means "only 3e".

It's not just people who can't know any better either. I play a bit of 5e every now and then (mostly an excuse to hang with my friends, not my system of choice) and they keep making mistakes like that. If the monster does X thing here then that will do Y and.... no, that was 3e. 5e doesn't work that way.

It goes the other way as well. A year or two ago we took a trip down nostalgia lane and played some 2e... and they still kept making those mistakes. Skill checks work like this, yes? Rogues can backstab if they flank, yes? This is done with an opposed strength check, yes? What do you mean monsters don't have strength scores?
I wasn't an AD&D2 player, so I wasn't around for whatever edition war existed between AD&D and D&D 3, but I'll hazard a guess that D&D 3 benefited from a lot of goodwill once the hysteria that they'd turn it into Magic died down. TSR was sold in 1997 and 3e revived the brand in 2000, in addition to promising a "return to the dungeon" as the center of gameplay.

To boot, AD&D is Schrodinger's Roleplaying Game. Nobody actually played it completely by the book. Everyone I know who cut their teeth on 2e was playing a stripped-down, handwavey version of it. So I says to my current group, I says, "I picked up some D&D books when I was a kid, but as soon as I cracked them open I saw charts and references to things like bend bars/lift gates scores and other crazy mathy stuff. How did you all contend with it?" And they says to me, they says, "We didn't!" :haw:

I never understood the hatred for Monopoly because my parents, who wouldn't let me buy Changeling: The Dreaming because it might be Satanic, were good enough game designers to houserule it into being fun. I never realized that by-the-book Monopoly is a lousy slog until I was in my 20s. I'd wager most people's experience with AD&D is similar.

Kai Tave posted:

Moths is right, Mike Mearls and the 5E team delivered the game that people vocally petitioned for.

Slimnoid posted:

Not only did 5e players get the game that they wanted, Mearls got to make the game he wanted. At no point during the playtest was any of the feedback given any serious consideration; right from the get-go, Mearls wanted to make HIS edition, HIS Dungeons and Dragons, to make is definitive mark on a decades-old system. Hell, you can tell he wanted it back in 4e, when he released the abortive Essentials line, and how that tried to regress a number of mechanical decisions* made prior. Some say he actively sabotaged 4e at this point, so that he could get full creative control over D&D. I'm willing to believe that, because right after that the game tanked and never really recovered.

There was no way Mike "40d20 rats" Mearls was going to let anyone ruin his D&D. Not players, not WotC, not Penny Arcade; nobody was going to stop him from releasing the exact game he wanted, come hell or high water. 5e is a purely ego-driven product, coated with a fine layer of tummy-feels mechanics, where nothing new or exciting is presented and everything is exactly as you remember it before Big Bad 4th Edition came by and kicked sand in your face. It's all regressive, from the presentation to the math, and 5e seems to actively fight against anything progressive or interesting from tainting their hallowed pages. In the hands of a good editor and competent playtesting you might have gotten something if not good, then at least functional, but nothing in 5e works; it's got all the same warts as 3e and then some, because as others have said it's actively done away with improvements from past editions and just vomits out what people feel the game should act like, rather than how it should act like.
I think D&D is definitely Mike Mearls' heartbreaker. At the same time, Mearls appears to be a guy who let the online edition-warring sentiment (namely from ENWorld) crawl so far up his rear end it's talking out of his mouth. Making an AD&D-flavoured, simplified 3e is the limit of Mearls' competence, and that aligns very well with the vocally anti-4e, 3e online fanbase.

Case in point, Mearls said on Twitter that "HPs are defined in a campaign-dependent manner. Martial healing messes that up. For instance - HP in a Game of Thrones campaign are much different than in a Harry Potter one." That's the closest thing to an official reason for the lack of a real 5e Warlord: They can't include anything in the game that some fraction of players would find immersion-breaking. Think about that: the head designer of the best-known RPG is disclaiming responsibility for defining key concepts--something previous editions had no problem doing--and I would bet money it was partially a response to forum arguments about "meat points" and "shouting limbs back on."

For the record, I don't think Mearls deliberately tanked D&D 4 on a business level. But he absolutely tried to make 4e more like 3e because that was what he personally wanted and gently caress everyone else. And because he frankly doesn't have the competence to develop good D&D 4 content.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

Case in point, Mearls said on Twitter that "HPs are defined in a campaign-dependent manner. Martial healing messes that up. For instance - HP in a Game of Thrones campaign are much different than in a Harry Potter one." That's the closest thing to an official reason for the lack of a real 5e Warlord: They can't include anything in the game that some fraction of players would find immersion-breaking. Think about that: the head designer of the best-known RPG is disclaiming responsibility for defining key concepts--something previous editions had no problem doing--and I would bet money it was partially a response to forum arguments about "meat points" and "shouting limbs back on."

Mearls was leading the charge on that issue. The thing that interests me is who was it that made FR the default setting? That meant that The many headed hydra that is Greenvatore got to have their say in the setting.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
Unfortunately it's easy to see why Forgotten Realms is the new default setting. As most of you have already said, it's the most generic and familiar of settings. Most people who've only heard of D&D through cultural osmosis will probably think something more along the lines of nerds playing wizards and elves in a generic Tolkien-like setting.

Wouldn't be surprised if Forgotten Realms is Mearls' favorite setting, the unoriginal hack, but part of me thinks it's a higher up corporate decision since EVERYTHING is Forgotten Realms now, from the video games to the upcoming movie the producers directly compared to Lord of the Rings.

Makes sense to me, though. As cool as a Dark Sun or Planescape or Eberron movie could be, they don't play off what the general population actually thinks of when they think D&D. Unfortunately, the more interesting parts of the franchise generally gets overshadowed by its more boring cultural identity.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I was saying more as opposed to 3.5 or 4e where there was just a generic setting and FR was an expansion laid on top of that (It would even mean they get to sell an extra book! Wowee!) I understand why FR would be the first setting released though.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Kurieg posted:

I was saying more as opposed to 3.5 or 4e where there was just a generic setting and FR was an expansion laid on top of that (It would even mean they get to sell an extra book! Wowee!) I understand why FR would be the first setting released though.

With 5e's release schedule being as anemic as it's been, something that adds an extra book to their plate probably isn't viewed as a positive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Kurieg posted:

3.x nominally had Greyhawk as the default setting.

• Locked thread