Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Murphy Brownback posted:

I ordered one of these, arriving Thursday. Usually I am very wary of things that put their website address on their product being just expensive (170 eur) gimmicks, but the reviews for this thing seem pretty good. Originally I was looking for just a slowcooker, then started thinking maybe a pressure cooker would be nicer, and stumbled on the thing that claims it can do everything. We'll see.

It's legit, I bought one from Amazon on black Friday and we've used it at least twice a week every week since then. They're amazingly versatile, you can pretty much do anything that isn't baking or roasting with one. Last night I cooked three pounds of pork shoulder that came out falling apart after 30 minutes. A few weeks ago we made a cheesecake in it (this being the exception to "can't bake in it"), and it obviously works really well for making soups and stews.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I hear you can't use red dot sights if you get Lasik. Is that true? I'm one of those small dicked gun owners.

Yes, you completely lose the ability to see the visible spectrum that we humans refer to as, "red"

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

FishBulb posted:

It's not that great. It doesn't taste orange enough damnit!!!

I actually thought it was pretty good, but at $9 for a 6 pack it's expensive enough that I wont buy it again.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I want to get laser eye surgery but I saw a video of them doing it and it freaked me the gently caress out.

Also I'm a broke student.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

VendaGoat posted:

Yes, you completely lose the ability to see the visible spectrum that we humans refer to as, "red"

heh.

No, but I thought I heard about people getting bad halos/lens flare on things like street lights, headlights, and red dot sights afterward?

Google isn't giving me much so maybe I dreamed it.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

heh.

No, but I thought I heard about people getting bad halos/lens flare on things like street lights, headlights, and red dot sights afterward?

From what I've read you'll get that while your eye is still healing, but for most people it eventually goes away.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

heh.

It flattens your cornea so that yes, you will get a bit of a halo around lights. It's noticeable, but you get used to it and it's nothing more than slightly distracting.

There are some cases of it being debilitating, however, that is the vast minority of patients. As for red dot sights, I have them and never experienced anything from them.

Here we go.

I still get a bit of the starburst effect, but I don't notice it unless it's a very bright light.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Ditto. I got mine done in South Korea back in 2011, still get a little bit of starbursting but not terrible at all, and I have 20/20 in both eyes now.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!

VendaGoat posted:

It flattens your cornea so that yes, you will get a bit of a halo around lights. It's noticeable, but you get used to it and it's nothing more than slightly distracting.

There are some cases of it being debilitating, however, that is the vast minority of patients. As for red dot sights, I have them and never experienced anything from them.

Here we go.

I still get a bit of the starburst effect, but I don't notice it unless it's a very bright light.

Thanks for this. I'm not really nervous, but I still like to know what to expect.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

To be safe you should upgrade to a holo sight.

It gives you more of an increase to accuracy anyway, without lowering TTK.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I hear you can't use red dot sights if you get Lasik. Is that true? I'm one of those small dicked gun owners.

VendaGoat posted:

It's actually a thing but iirc it is not predictable.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Electric Light Orchestra's Out of the Blue on 180gr clear vinyl.

Because I needed another copy of this record.

Menstrual Show
Jun 3, 2004

hamsystem posted:

Thanks for this. I'm not really nervous, but I still like to know what to expect.

I got LASIK 12 years ago and my vision still remains perfect. Greatest thing ever.

Vier
Aug 5, 2007

Garmin Forerunner 225 GPS Running Watch with Wrist Based Heart Rate and Colour Display - Black/Red, replacement for my Fitbit.

ElZilcho
Apr 4, 2007

As a t shirt.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I didn't realize some people *didn't* see starbursts when looking at lights in the dark until they tested me. Thankfully lasik didn't make it worse.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Mister Kingdom posted:

Electric Light Orchestra's Out of the Blue on 180gr clear vinyl.

Because I needed another copy of this record.

I love that you can find all their stuff on youtube.

It was always so drat hard to find in Australia when I was growing up in a lovely country town.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

2012 Subaru Forester 2.5X. My 2004 needed too much work done to where it just wasn't worth it to pump more money into it. Missing my gigantic sunroof, but considering these things hardly ever come on the market with the mileage/price combo that this one had... I snatched it up.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

Preorder. Just the base game, though, since there was no info about what the Season Pass includes.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

To be safe you should upgrade to a holo sight.

It gives you more of an increase to accuracy anyway, without lowering TTK.

Just use iron sights like adults :shrug:

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS
Upgraded from my Abarth to a car that I can actually do some traveling in (comfortably) with my wife.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Wanamingo posted:

I actually thought it was pretty good, but at $9 for a 6 pack it's expensive enough that I wont buy it again.

If you want a sugary booze concoction that's similar, mix some vanilla vodka with orange soda. It's like drinking a popsicle, great for parties and getting hosed up quick :cheers:

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Wanamingo posted:

It was a bit too sugary for my tastes, but tasty otherwise, and no HFCS aftertaste :dance:

Agreed on the price, though--it was good, but it'll probably only be a once-a-month thing, if even that frequent.

Secret Machine
Jun 20, 2005

What the Hell?

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I got it 14 years ago and have no issues shooting with a red dot. Anyway, back to buying stuff. Bought 1000 rounds of this from the TFR deal thread

to split with another goon. To shoot out of this recent purchase

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Ozz81 posted:

If you want a sugary booze concoction that's similar, mix some vanilla vodka with orange soda. It's like drinking a popsicle, great for parties and getting hosed up quick :cheers:

Whipped cream vodka works very well for this as well. Or you can do orange juice and sprite with it.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Secret Machine posted:

to split with another goon. To shoot out of this recent purchase

I know nothing about guns, what's the deal with the trigger here?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
It's a split trigger safety which is a safety device. You have to push the middle part in before the trigger will depress and fire the weapon. Helps with preventing accidental discharges from something hitting the trigger.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Reverse Centaur posted:

I didn't realize some people *didn't* see starbursts when looking at lights in the dark until they tested me. Thankfully lasik didn't make it worse.

Same here. Turns out I have mild astigmatism. Not terrible, I can pass the vision test at the DMV without glasses, but obviously it's worse at night when all the headlights, brake-lights, and streetlamps are blurry, so I have glasses and try to wear them all the time so I'm used to wearing them when I actually need them (i.e. driving at night.)

TheHouseofM
Feb 13, 2012

Now the waiting begins, but looking forward to playing Nes games via HDMI.

Its fun, I'm probably going to kill myself going 22mph.

TheHouseofM has a new favorite as of 21:03 on Feb 24, 2016

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

TheHouseofM posted:

Now the waiting begins, but looking forward to playing Nes games via HDMI.

$500, everyone

edit: +$80 for HDMI output

http://www.analogue.co/products/analogue-nt

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

SpartanIV posted:

$500, everyone

Don't shop-shame.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

Don't shop-shame.

Did we ever establish whether this means we can't shame the shop or that we can't shame the shopping that took place at the shop?

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

SpartanIV posted:

$500, everyone

It's neat, but definitely not $580 neat. Maybe $100 neat.

TheHouseofM
Feb 13, 2012

vxsarin posted:

It's neat, but definitely not $580 neat. Maybe $100 neat.

The price of a Xrgb mini is around $330 right now and a Rgb modded famicom is about $290. So yeah I wish it were cheaper but I wanted the best picture possible.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Have you tried emulators?

Or are those too grainy and don't have the warmth and depth of actual cartridges?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Gotta make sure my 8 bit gaming has the best possible picture.

Edit: :lol: I figured it was just a normal longboard

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

Everyone's commenting about the expensive NES but no one noticed the $1,000 electric motor longboard?

(Once again, I'm not shaming you for buying it. I'm just... astonished that it exists. Is it for people who live in the Canadian prairies where there's no such thing as a hill?)

strangemusic has a new favorite as of 22:12 on Feb 24, 2016

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Jerry Cotton posted:

Did we ever establish whether this means we can't shame the shop or that we can't shame the shopping that took place at the shop?

Depends. Which one means it is OK to make fun of purchases we think are worth making fun of? That one has my vote.

I think it's the latter.

Edit: a motorized longboard? Smdh I thought that goon meant 22mph downhill.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

I bought an RCA-HDMI upscaler. It was $16. Works pretty well for my N64.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
I adopted some pets.

edit: wow that pic turned out poo poo. Phonecameras <3