Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which non-Power of the Daleks story would you like to see an episode found from?
This poll is closed.
Marco Polo 36 20.69%
The Myth Makers 10 5.75%
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 45 25.86%
The Savages 2 1.15%
The Smugglers 2 1.15%
The Highlanders 45 25.86%
The Macra Terror 21 12.07%
Fury from the Deep 13 7.47%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I dunno.

I think Who hit its stride, effects wise, in the 70s and its been a down hill tumble since then. There was a solid point for a little while there where they were lowbudget enough to be low budget, but everything else was so lovely that it didn't matter. Then the quality gap kicked in and left the show in the dust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Tim Burns Effect posted:

Nah man, I feel you. In fact I'll be the guy in this thread to say that I didn't care for The Holy Terror. The story itself was good but I absolutely loathed Frobisher in every way (his voice, his acting, his lovely accent) and I wouldn't listen to The Maltese Penguin even if you paid me.

I can't actually imagine Frobisher as a proper companion. All the goofy poo poo in that play just lulls you into a false sense of security.

Jerusalem posted:

I think Holy Terror is good, but certainly not great, and am a little surprised at the love it gets. For me what really kills it is the kid's voice. It just feels so.... forced.

The voice sold me on the baby. It sounds so nauseating and wrong.

CobiWann posted:

Ok, how about this? What's everyone dirty little Who secret?

I'll start. I liked Eric Roberts' Master.

I actually really like K-9.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

MrL_JaKiri posted:

For those of you who only know Levine from Doctor Who, I'd like to point out that he was an incredibly influential DJ, songwriter and producer in the 70's and 80's! Somehow

Levine himself denies it, but a lot of his contemporaries on the northern soul scene (where he's about as divisive as he is in the Who fandom) felt that he got as far as he did because his parents were quite well-off (they owned a popular entertainment complex in Blackpool), which meant he was in the privileged position that he could afford to go on annual family holidays to America (rare now for most people, but even more so in 1976, I imagine) and come home with tea chests full of something like 4,000 rare soul 45s. That let him become the top DJ at the Blackpool Mecca, which was his springboard into songwriting and music production, where he made his fortune (then blew it, then made it again).

His own view is that he would've found a way to get those singles regardless of his background, but I'd take that with a grain of salt, because he was acting as a supplier for other DJs via these overseas excursions as much as he was expanding his own collection.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

CobiWann posted:

I still haven't watched any Classic Who. I want to, I just haven't!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

It's on Crave TV, which has the worst App I've ever used. I took its free months and figured I could at least watch all of Rome in that time, but every time an episode finished, It logged me out of the app and I had to reset my chromecast and phone in order for it to let me log back in.

Space (Canada's sci-fi channel) is assuring everyone that it is staying with them for at least the next 2 seasons. This is good because Amazon streaming is not available here, so we'll actually have access to it in at least some form.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CobiWann posted:

Timelash is one of my favorite serials.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

And More posted:

i don't see how this totally correct opinion is in any way a dirty little secret

unless you're talking about that weird tv series, in which case you are incredibly wrong

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

And More posted:

Next thing you'll be saying that Tom Baker was a good Doctor and his time on the show should be considered a high watermark of the classic series!

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

CobiWann posted:

I don't like audios.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

CobiWann posted:

I watch it

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
For the record, Big Finish’s website has referred to David Warner as a “national treasure.”

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

CobiWann posted:

For the record, Big Finish’s website has referred to David Warner as a “national treasure.”

Of course he is!

Train Surgeon
Jan 14, 2012

CobiWann posted:

I think it's beyond ridiculous that a flagship show on the bbc has had so much incompetence at the showrunner level resulting in half-seasons , taking a year off , and other assorted poo poo. Just reliably produce ~13 episodes in a straight run per year, how hard can it be?

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Of course he is!

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

There! Are! TEN! Letters!

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

CobiWann posted:

I think that:

- retconning the Doctor killing all his people made the character and the show much less interesting

- the Sixth Doctor was more well conceived than the Twelfth as a "difficult" version of the character

- explicitly making the Classic and New versions of the show the same has led to most of the best things in the New one becoming downplayed.

[/grump]

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Wheat Loaf posted:

Levine himself denies it, but a lot of his contemporaries on the northern soul scene (where he's about as divisive as he is in the Who fandom) felt that he got as far as he did because his parents were quite well-off (they owned a popular entertainment complex in Blackpool), which meant he was in the privileged position that he could afford to go on annual family holidays to America (rare now for most people, but even more so in 1976, I imagine) and come home with tea chests full of something like 4,000 rare soul 45s. That let him become the top DJ at the Blackpool Mecca, which was his springboard into songwriting and music production, where he made his fortune (then blew it, then made it again).

His own view is that he would've found a way to get those singles regardless of his background, but I'd take that with a grain of salt, because he was acting as a supplier for other DJs via these overseas excursions as much as he was expanding his own collection.

The best was recently he was begging online for someone to help him pay for this huge shipment of records he was trying to procure. I think he was asking someone to go in half for it. And in return, they would get a fair number of the records. Selected by him, after he went through the collection for what he wanted.

Also, he had a brief tirade against Moffat in 2014 because Moffat had supposedly told him that there would be 13 eps and X-Mas special, and not 13 including the X-mas special. So he felt lied to and betrayed.

And then his rant against Eric Saward recently when Saward said in online interview that during Six's run there was never any story going to be called "Gallifrey". Levine went into full rant mode, claiming that he has a photographic memory, and he knows FOR A FACT that there was such a story, and Saward is just a liar.

Some believe that the character of the Abzorbaloff/Victor Kennedy was a supposed to big a dig a Levine.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Davros1 posted:

The best was recently he was begging online for someone to help him pay for this huge shipment of records he was trying to procure. I think he was asking someone to go in half for it. And in return, they would get a fair number of the records. Selected by him, after he went through the collection for what he wanted.

Also, he had a brief tirade against Moffat in 2014 because Moffat had supposedly told him that there would be 13 eps and X-Mas special, and not 13 including the X-mas special. So he felt lied to and betrayed.

And then his rant against Eric Saward recently when Saward said in online interview that during Six's run there was never any story going to be called "Gallifrey". Levine went into full rant mode, claiming that he has a photographic memory, and he knows FOR A FACT that there was such a story, and Saward is just a liar.

Some believe that the character of the Abzorbaloff/Victor Kennedy was a supposed to big a dig a Levine.

Look we all know from Jeremy Clarkson's behavior that Brits have no problem punching each other in the face so why the hell has no one stood up and knocked Levine's teeth out yet?

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

vegetables posted:

explicitly making the Classic and New versions of the show the same has led to most of the best things in the New one becoming downplayed.

but they've both explicitly been the same show since the start? certainly since "school reunion", which I think is one of the best episodes of New Who and - I was still a kid at the time (13 or 14 I think) but I thought that it was cool that they were bringing back people who'd been in the original show, although I probably cared more about K9 than Sarah Jane since i liked the idea of the Doctor having a robot dog as a pet.

I do think that they handled the return of Doctor Who very well in that they took the chance to drop lots of the cruft that Doctor Who had picked up over the years and in a way started from the beginning - there was an element of mystery about the whole time war thing that they had to remove at some point - they milked it for ten years and it was a perfect thing to talk about for the fiftieth anniversary. The 1996 film and the original plan for the BBC/Fox series show just how badly a reboot could have gone: they tried to make things more complicated than "The Doctor is a timelord who regenerates who's generally a cool dude. He travels from time and space in a London police box, usually with a companion who is almost always a human women." They had a load of nonsense about Gallifrey and the Doctor's family which was terrible: most Doctor Who things involving Gallifrey aren't that good for various reasons.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

IceAgeComing posted:

but they've both explicitly been the same show since the start? certainly since "school reunion", which I think is one of the best episodes of New Who and - I was still a kid at the time (13 or 14 I think) but I thought that it was cool that they were bringing back people who'd been in the original show, although I probably cared more about K9 than Sarah Jane since i liked the idea of the Doctor having a robot dog as a pet.

I do think that they handled the return of Doctor Who very well in that they took the chance to drop lots of the cruft that Doctor Who had picked up over the years and in a way started from the beginning - there was an element of mystery about the whole time war thing that they had to remove at some point - they milked it for ten years and it was a perfect thing to talk about for the fiftieth anniversary. The 1996 film and the original plan for the BBC/Fox series show just how badly a reboot could have gone: they tried to make things more complicated than "The Doctor is a timelord who regenerates who's generally a cool dude. He travels from time and space in a London police box, usually with a companion who is almost always a human women." They had a load of nonsense about Gallifrey and the Doctor's family which was terrible: most Doctor Who things involving Gallifrey aren't that good for various reasons.

Galifrey Time War episodes are bad for the same reason that every single story about Angels and Demons and God and the Devil and The Apocalypse is cheesy and bad: to put something infinite and sublime (an endless war between nigh-omnipotent beings taking places across all of time and space) like that on page or on screen necessarily reduces to stupid melodrama.

This poo poo is always way cooler when it happens in the negative space and is explored through others' reactions to it. The 50th was almost perfect in how it handled it, in fact, by showing a few glimpses of action and then moving the focus away.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Davros1 posted:

The interpretation I've seen that I like the best is that the LINDA members are all different types of Who fans, and then Victor/Ian shows up and utterly ruins it for them.

If I was at home I'd dig out the JNT/Saward/Levine comic strip as it's good to post that whenever the opportunity arises.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Fil5000 posted:

The interpretation I've seen that I like the best is that the LINDA members are all different types of Who fans, and then Victor/Ian shows up and utterly ruins it for them.

If I was at home I'd dig out the JNT/Saward/Levine comic strip as it's good to post that whenever the opportunity arises.

Bonus:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

CommonShore posted:

The 50th was almost perfect in how it handled it, in fact, by showing a few glimpses of action and then moving the focus away.

Except it shouldn't have shown any action :colbert:

Full on Lovecraftian "We can't even describe the things that are happening" or nothing!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Except it shouldn't have shown any action :colbert:

Full on Lovecraftian "We can't even describe the things that are happening" or nothing!

I didn't mind the way that they introduced War Doctor by showing him ambiguously running through some ruins and shooting a big gunny blastery thing a bit. It was just a way of establishing the setting and introducing the character. Much preferable to showing super gigantic fleets of dalek ships and super uber powerful time lord armies facing down ad infinitum. It's not as if what we got wasn't the already-known elements.

Though admittedly I've watched about oh... 500 episodes of Doctor Who for the first time since I last watched the 50th. Yes, the 50th was my entry point for the show, and I haven't revisited it, so I guess my interpretation is the "viewer who has no idea what's going on" version. Even I just needed a one-sentence explanation from my friend.

But yes - Lovecraftian is exactly what I'm talking about. There was a ton of stupid crap that they could have emphasized which they, thankfully, didn't.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

CommonShore posted:

I didn't mind the way that they introduced War Doctor by showing him ambiguously running through some ruins and shooting a big gunny blastery thing a bit. It was just a way of establishing the setting and introducing the character. Much preferable to showing super gigantic fleets of dalek ships and super uber powerful time lord armies facing down ad infinitum. It's not as if what we got wasn't the already-known elements.

Though admittedly I've watched about oh... 500 episodes of Doctor Who for the first time since I last watched the 50th. Yes, the 50th was my entry point for the show, and I haven't revisited it, so I guess my interpretation is the "viewer who has no idea what's going on" version. Even I just needed a one-sentence explanation from my friend.

But yes - Lovecraftian is exactly what I'm talking about. There was a ton of stupid crap that they could have emphasized which they, thankfully, didn't.

I will say that the War Doctor box set(s) have done a good job balancing "show don't tell" and "how the HELL do we describe this?" The moments that are portrayed aren't over-the-top but still horrible, such as the Time Lords selling out a thousand worlds to the Daleks as part of an attempted peace treaty.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

The first one wasn't great but I recently finished listening to the second War Doctor box set and it's much, much better. It gets across the sense of a Time War across very well: in the third episode, "The Neverwhen", it's just a regular battle but time is constantly shifting - technology and evolution both go back and forwards, with past/future Daleks and Time Lords involved. It's really cool.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

vegetables posted:

I think that:

- retconning the Doctor killing all his people made the character and the show much less interesting

- the Sixth Doctor was more well conceived than the Twelfth as a "difficult" version of the character

- explicitly making the Classic and New versions of the show the same has led to most of the best things in the New one becoming downplayed.

[/grump]

I'd be interested in hearing more on these.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

UNIT – Extinction continues Big Finish's successful run with Doctor Who's revival license with a four-part series that portrays the modern-day UNIT exactly as they should be – vigilant, world-wide, resourceful, and most importantly incredibly competent at saving the day. Action, suspense, a familiar and deadly alien threat all add together to showcase UNIT as a fighting force that can stand alone without assistance (and barely a mention) of the Doctor.

X X X X X

Vanguard - While UNIT attend a 'skyfall' incident under the eyes of watchful journalists, reclusive billionaire Simon Devlin is planning a product launch that will change the world...

Earthfall - Lieutenant Sam Bishop and Osgood are deployed to the Gobi desert in search of a Nestene energy unit. But there are Autons in the sand dunes...

Bridgehead - Captain Josh Carter has gone undercover inside Devlin Futuretech. But his safety is jeopardised by the activities of investigative journalist Jacqui McGee.

Armageddon - As UNIT leads the fightback on every front, every continent, against an implacable army, Kate Stewart must look to the past for some clue to defeat the plastic menace...

X X X X X

Cast
Jemma Redgrave (Kate Stewart)
Ingrid Oliver (Osgood)
Warren Brown(Lieutenant Sam Bishop)
Ramon Tikaram (Colonel Shindi)
James Joyce (Captain Josh Carter)
Steve John Shepherd (Simon Devlin)
Karina Fernandez (Jenna Gold)
Tracy Wiles (Jacqui McGee)
Derek Carlyle (Tim Stevens)
Nicholas Briggs (The Nestene Consciousness).

Written by: Matt Finton (Vanguard, Armageddon), Andrew Smith (Earthfall, Bridgehead)
Directed by: Ken Bentley
Produced by: David Richardson
Script Edited by: Ken Bentley

Trailer - https://www.bigfinish.com/releases/popout/unit---extinction-1208

Theme - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Im7_aLoALSA

X X X X X

Throughout the history of Doctor Who, UNIT (once known as the United Nations Intelligence Taskforce, now known as Unified Intelligence Taskforce) has been a cutting-edge, elite fighting force dedicated to defending the Earth from all threats alien and paranormal. First introduced in the Second Doctor story The Invasion, UNIT was a vital part of the Third Doctor's television run as the Doctor served as the organization's “unofficial” scientific adviser alongside characters such as Brigadier Alistair Lethbridge-Stewart and Captain Mike Yates. Once the Doctor's Earth exile was over however, UNIT began to fade into the background with the Fourth Doctor stories The Seeds of Doom and the Seventh Doctor stories Remembrance of the Daleks and Battlefield being the last major appearances of UNIT in the classic series. While UNIT was mentioned several times in the revival series, it wasn't until the Tenth Doctor two-parter The Sontaran Stratagem/The Poison Sky that the organization made their official return to the series, with the new head of UNIT Kate Stewart (Jemma Redgrave), daughter of Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart, being introduced in the Eleventh Doctor story The Power of Three. Stewart would go on to play a major role in the 50th anniversary event The Day of the Doctor along with her personal and scientific assistant Petronella Osgood (Ingrid Oliver).

With UNIT being such an integral part of the Who mythos, it was a pleasant surprise in February of 2015 when Big Finish announced that they had obtained the license from BBC Worldwide to produced a box set based upon the “new” UNIT was a huge moment for not just Big Finish fans but for Who fans everywhere. Big Finish was known for their extensive body of work involving characters from the show's “classic” era, but there was always whispers about what Big Finish could do with the revival series if they ever somehow obtained the rights to it. Having the chance to produce a box set for UNIT was Big Finish's chance to “put up or shut up” and see if the company could expand and grow and hook a new generation of fans to the wide world of audio plays.

And the good news is, Big Finish succeeded with two top-notch writers working together to pen this four-parter. Andrew Smith is best known for writing the Fourth Doctor television story Full Circle, and he also put together what some people consider the finest of Big Finish's “Lost Episodes” line, The First Sontarans. Matt Fitton is perhaps the best writer penning scripts for Big Finish today, with The Wrong Doctors, The Last Sixth Doctor Adventure – Stage Fright, Doom Coalition 1 – The Eleven and Return of the Rocket Men and Luna Romana from the Companion Chronicles range to his credit. Working together, Smith and Fitton have written a tense, action-packed story where the alien menace isn't just invading Earth but coming directly into homes and businesses across the world. This four-parter comes off as a television show on audio. The theme music would be right at home in a mid-to-late 80's science-fiction action series with a story that spans the globe from London to Puerto Rico to the Gobi Desert mixed in with scenes of mass combat, scientific inquiry, chases and escapes, and personal showdowns between the members of UNIT and the alien threat. The only complaint I have is that the second episode felt JUST a little padded in a way that can only be described as “SUDDENLY MONGOLS OUT OF NOWHERE,” and it’s a minor quibble at best.

The Nestene Consciousness and its foot soldiers, the plastic Autons, have devised an ingenious and horrible plan to take over the planet. First, the Nestene takes over the international technology corporation known as Devlin Futuretech by curing the company's founder and CEO, Simon Devlin, of a debilitating bone disease by injecting his body with liquid polymer that strengthen his bones while allowing the Nestene Consciousness to influence and take over his mind. From there, Devlin Futuretech stuns the world by introducing a new, low-cost model of 3D printer that soon finds its way into homes and businesses everywhere. As UNIT attends to a “skyfall” incident that is tied to Devlin and his company, it turns out that the skyfall is simply the next act in the Nestene's plan to slam meteorites into the Earth's surface. These meteorites serve as energy sources that allow the Nestene to establish its own self-powered wireless communications network as well as ensuring that the massive number of 3D printers across the world can not be deactivated and unplugged once a print requests has been sent to them – a request that sees each printer create a fully functional and deadly Auton soldier, ready to subjugate humanity, destroy anyone foolish enough to get in their way, and most importantly take down UNIT once and for all...

It's one of those plots that's so INCREDIBLY over-the-top but steeped with JUST enough plausibility to seem possible. Smith and Fitton's scripts play the threat completely straight. There's some gallows humor, but the Autons and the Nestene Consciousness are portrayed as serious opponents. The Autons are much like the Cybermen – individually tough, with their sheer quantity and mass giving them an incredible advantage against any human foolish enough to resist their demands and the advanced technology and weaponry to give the world's armed forces as well as UNIT a tough fight. Whereas Rose portrayed the Autons and the Nestene as relatively minor threats easily defeated by the Ninth Doctor, UNIT – Extinction shows just how dangerous the aliens could be in the hands of skilled writers.

It's not just the plot that stands out. The characters and acting by the cast is also a major point in this story's favor. Of course, since it’s a classic Who villain the Nestene Consciousness is voiced by none other than Nicholas Briggs. With the aid of a very disturbing voice modulator Briggs gets across both the alien nature of the Nestene as well as its sense of superiority, that Earth is nothing more than an annoyance to be quashed on the way to building the next generation of Auton. The right hand human for the Nestene is Simon Devlin, portrayed by Steve John Shepherd who is best known for his turn as Michael Moon on the eternally popular British soap opera EastEnders. Shepherd gives off the standard “egotistical CEO” vibe at the story’s beginning, only to slowly give way to the willing partner of the Nestene Consciousness until it’s revealed that he’s the furthest thing from a willing partner thanks to his polymer skull, mixing haughty commands and gloating with obsequious second guessing. A particularly notable character is that of reporter Jacqui McGee. Played by veteran radio actor Tracy Wiles, McGee starts out as the typical reporter trying to get the big story, only for UNIT to get in her way time and time again. It’s not just a friendly word of caution however, as UNIT wipes her mind several times to keep the secret of the alien invasion quiet for as long as it can. There’s no sense of “you did what you had to do” with McGee. Wiles shows just how FURIOUS she is (and rightfully so) by McGee refusing to buy into UNIT’s apologies and claims of “the greater good.” And there’s no grand moment of clarity or coming around to see UNIT’s point of view on her part. When the moment comes, McGee says “forget THIS” and makes her escape. It’s a bit refreshing to have a major supporting character run away when it looks like things are going south, especially a non-military type. McGee’s closing appearance in this box set quite possibly lays the foundation for the next series with a plot thread that I hope the new writers grasp firmly.

On the UNIT side of the story, there are two newcomers – the proper and protocol bound Colonel Shindi (Ramon Tikaram of EastEnders and Game of Thrones and the talented “get out of my way, I’ll handle this” Captain Josh Carter (newcomer James Joyce). Tikaram and Joyce do have their moments of “protocol vs. improvisation” arguments, but there’s a level of respect between the two when they work together, arguing both sides until an agreement is reached and then backing up the other no matter what. Carter handles the undercover work to infiltrate Devlin Futuretech, only to be captured by the Nestene and turned into their slave in a chilling sequence where liquid polymer is injected into his body, covering his bones and turning him into a super-strong, super-fast human/Auton hybrid. The attack on the Tower is led by the converted Carter in several very well done scenes where he uses his knowledge of UNIT’s tactics to easily break through their defenses, the flamboyant Carter now a cold, unfeeling robot. Shindi is very much along the lines of the Brigadier as he handles the military side of things, taking charge, giving orders, and making the tough decisions (like to abandon Osgood in the Tower) in order to rally his troops. Tikaram plays Shindi as every inch a model British officer who might back up but will never give up. The dynamic between Shindi and the rest of the cast is very well done and serve as some of the acting high points of the box set.

One of the major complaints thrown about regarding the character of Osgood is that she’s nothing more than a “self-insert” of a “Doctor Who” fangirl. I admit that I was interested to see how Osgood would be portrayed away from the presence of the Doctor. Aside from a few brief mentions of the Doctor, the Time Lord’s influence is barely felt in Extinction. It’s truly UNIT’s show, and Osgood proves to be a solid character without her idol present. Osgood is the scientific type for sure, constantly stating that she’s unsuited for field work and much more comfortable in the lab. And it’s in the lab that Oliver shows the confident side of Osgood in her element as she comes up with a directed energy weapon (“It’s not a ray gun” she tells several people) as well as a way to break the Nestene’s control over Carter when he has her and McGee cornered. She has her moments in the field as well during the initial skyfall event as well as the final assault on Devlin Futuretech, finding her courage even while McGee is abandoning the UNIT forces to their fate. It’s the highest praise I can give to Ingrid Olivr that Osgood felt like a breathing, developed character without having the narrative crutch of the Doctor to lean on. If it wasn’t for the occasional mention of the Doctor it would be easy to believe that Osgood is a top-notch scientist who enjoys her job for both the challenge and the chance to save the world…as well as having a bit of a crush on Josh Carter as the two engaged in some (very) light flirtatious banter that enhances their friendship as opposed to defining it.

When it comes to the role of Kate Stewart, I’m of two minds. Gemma Redgrave, of course, has been absolutely wonderful on television and her audio turn in Extinction is no different. There’s no doubt just who is in charge of UNIT, both in the minds of the soldiers underneath her and in the mind of Stewart herself. Redgrave plays Kate Stewart exactly as she should be played – tough, bold, brave, takes-no-prisoners, and refusing to give up even when the chips are down. She can be charming when at the launch night gala for Devlin Futuretech’s 3-d printers and she can be ruthless when it comes to confronting the Nestene Consciousness in its plastic lair…as well as when wiping the mind of McGee when she gets close to the truth on several occasions, and calmly ordering the Earth’s water supply to be drugged as to ensure humanity forgets the massive devastation and loss of life brought about by the Auton invasion. It’s…I understand UNIT’s goal to protect the Earth, and where Torchwood takes the more clandestine route, I always kind of held UNIT to a higher, more honorable standard as the group on the front lines fighting the good fight. Wiping humanity’s entire memory, aside from being nearly impossible (the entire water supply?) just strikes me as…dirty and not fair play. It’s again a minor quibble at best, but it’s the kind of action that makes me worry Big Finish will take UNIT into a “Big Brother knows what’s best direction” without any sense of consequence.

My other quibble is a bit bigger, and it involves the Brigadier. Or rather, the Brigadier being brought up to Kate on numerous occasions. Several times during the story, Kate’s actions, concerns, and worries are compared to what Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart went through during his time as the head of UNIT. Devlin brings up the Brigadier during his first meeting with Kate. A few characters mention that the Brigadier would be proud of the job she’s doing. It’s done enough that it becomes noticeable and a bit of an annoyance to the listener. One or two mentions, much like those regarding the Doctor, would have been fine. But the seemingly constant mentions only serve to undermine the character a bit even as she does things and take actions that should establish her as her own character and the leader of UNIT. As opposed to how Osgood is a well-rounded and somewhat interesting character away from the Doctor’s shadow, it seems that Kate Stewart can’t get away from the Brigadier, be it constant mentions of him in this story or his picture on the airplane wall during Dark Water.

The problems with UNIT – Extinction are incredibly minor and do not stop me from highly recommending this box set. Much like Jago & Litefoot + Strax, The Diary of River Song, and The War Doctor, this Big Finish’s revival-era release is well put together, superbly acted, nail bitingly tense, and excellently produced. It shows that Big Finish isn’t resting on its laurels when it comes to its revival output, but more importantly Extinction showcases exactly what UNIT should be – an elite, competent, tightly knit fighting force defending the Earth from the scum of the universe.

Random Thoughts
- This wouldn’t be the first time Big Finish released a UNIT series. The company produced a four-part adventure in 2005 that was set during the classic era featuring Nicholas Courtney as well as releasing UNIT: Dominion, the story that introduced Alex MacQueen’s version of Master to Doctor Who, in 2012.
- According to Big Finish's press release, the stories in this set occur between the events of The Power of Three and The Day of the Doctor.
- “Colonel Shindi? Plastic chap with the energy weapon, as many rounds as you please.”
- First plastic chairs, then garbage cans, and now 3d printers. What’s next, those new credit cards with chips in them?
- …
- …
- …someone get me the ghost of Robert Holmes on the phone, please.

Cobi’s Synopsis – The revival-era UNIT comes into the audio world guns blazing, taking on their long-time nemesis the Nestene Consciousness and its Auton minions in a tense, action packed science-fiction thriller.

Next up - In a time of war, every means of victory must be explored. In the Time War, the unthinkable must be thought, and neither side can afford to be squeamish about their methods…

John Hurt is the Doctor in…The War Doctor Volume 2 – Infernal Devices

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

PriorMarcus posted:

I'd be interested in hearing more on these.

The first one is obvious, changing the end of the time war does nothing except undermine the RTD character arc.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

XXXXXX

In Valhalla, Capital of Callisto, Jupiter's premier moon, anything and everything is for sale. But Valhalla is in trouble due to Earth granting independence and cutting off the supplies. The Doctor visits the Job Centre and finds power cuts, barcoded citizens and monthly riots and a termite problem.

XXXXXX

Cast

The Doctor — Sylvester McCoy
Jevvan — Michelle Gomez
Our Mother — Susannah York
Laxton — Philip Jackson
Gerium — Fraser James
Tin-Marie — Donna Berlin
Clerk — Duncan Wisbey
Groom — Dominic Frisby
Worker — Jack Galagher

XXXXXX

Written by Marc Platt (Spare Parts, Ghost Light)
Directed by John Ainsworth
Executive producers Nicholas Briggs, Jason Haigh-Ellery

XXXXXX

It's The Macra Terror but less good

MrL_JaKiri fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Feb 24, 2016

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The first one is obvious, changing the end of the time war does nothing except undermine the RTD character arc.

Except the Doctor still has to live with the idea that he made that choice all through his 9th, 10th, and most of his 11th incarnations.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

jivjov posted:

Except the Doctor still has to live with the idea that he made that choice all through his 9th, 10th, and most of his 11th incarnations.

"How does one deal with the knowledge that you doomed your entire species" is very different to "How does one deal with mistakenly believing that you doomed your entire species" from an exterior point of view, especially if it was written as the former but became the latter later.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I liked this one save for a butt-ton of padding and the termites turning out to be blue-collar blokes in the third episode instead of xenomorphic terrors.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

CobiWann posted:

I liked this one save for a butt-ton of padding and the termites turning out to be blue-collar blokes in the third episode instead of xenomorphic terrors.

Yeah, there's enough wrong with it to take it from "a similar sort of concept, different twist" to "just less good"

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

MrL_JaKiri posted:

"How does one deal with the knowledge that you doomed your entire species" is very different to "How does one deal with mistakenly believing that you doomed your entire species" from an exterior point of view, especially if it was written as the former but became the latter later.

War, 9, 10, and 11 honestly believe that they did, in fact, doom their entire species. The Doctor has that guilt and shame, and it isn't until the events of Day of the Doctor that 11 and forward change things. From the point of view of the Doctor and the viewer, that entire time the Doctor did push the button. The Doctor was willing to burn Gallifrey and all the Daleks, and, for at least a while, he actually did make that choice.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

CobiWann posted:

Cobi’s Synopsis – The revival-era UNIT comes into the audio world guns blazing, taking on their long-time nemesis the Nestene Consciousness and its Auton minions in a tense, action packed science-fiction thriller.

It was a pleasant surprise how much I enjoyed this, enough that I fully intend to buy the next one whenever it comes out. Usually I just stick with the ranges with the Doctor as the central character, but this was pretty good.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Giving the bugs voices in the third episode is such a giant misstep :doh:

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

CobiWann posted:

Andrew Smith is best known for writing the Fourth Doctor television story Full Circle

Huh. Full Circle is a great little gem of a story that doesn't get talked about much. You might have talked me into giving this a try.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Marc Platt really is a hit-and-miss writer. For every Spare Parts or The Silver Turk, there's a this or a that one story he did with Morbius and the Eighth Doctor. I wasn't even sure if I had listened to this until I remembered seeing the cover art on my mp3 player.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

It was a pleasant surprise how much I enjoyed this, enough that I fully intend to buy the next one whenever it comes out. Usually I just stick with the ranges with the Doctor as the central character, but this was pretty good.

You need to listen to Jago & Litefoot and Strax.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

Giving the bugs voices in the third episode is such a giant misstep :doh:

Frankly it goes wrong before that - the more I think about it the more I think that I'm overselling it as The Macra Terror but less good. It's The Macra Terror but dramatically less good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Anyway what should I listen to next? Only heard Loup-Garoux, Chimes, Spare Prats, Davros, The One Doctor and Blood of the Daleks so far and my tablet's given up the ghost so I need something else to entertain me in the gym.

(Respectively: ok, ok, :perfect:, :mediocre:, absolute shite, :mediocre: )

• Locked thread