Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

PerrineClostermann posted:

So I installed FreeNAS on my old Core 2 Duo machine, with 6gb RAM. my drives are plugged into SATA2 ports. The pool is configured in RAIDZ2. I'm getting 30MB/s transfer speeds, would that be pretty typical for this kind of setup?

mayodreams posted:

What NIC are you using? lovely onboard Reltek devices don't handle a lot of throughput well. I bought Intel NICs for all my devices for this reason.
Both realtek and broadcom-based NICs have a long history of cussing associated with them. The most-often cheap and recommended NICs all use the em(4) driver - note the listed devices on the hardware section of that manpage for examples, but any NIC that uses those chips will function just fine.

Easiest way to figure out what's causing the bottleneck is to start benchmarking (the FreeNAS handbook has a section on various tools you can use for this). This will also give you a baseline for future reference if something goes wrong.

EDIT: Quoted the original question because of new page.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Feb 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe
What's the recommended raid configuration for a Synology NAS? I've got a Synology ds416j with three 4tb drives in RAID 5 currently, but I've thought about picking up another and converting to RAID 6. There is also the option of using Synology Hybrid Raid (SHR). What is generally considered the best option?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
From what I can tell, they're Marvell controllers

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

So I installed FreeNAS on my old Core 2 Duo machine, with 6gb RAM. my drives are plugged into SATA2 ports. The pool is configured in RAIDZ2. I'm getting 30MB/s transfer speeds, would that be pretty typical for this kind of setup?

Is that on read or write? For writing, that may just be how fast you're able to calculate parity. If it's on reads though, then it's probably a network controller issue.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

blk96gt posted:

What's the recommended raid configuration for a Synology NAS? I've got a Synology ds416j with three 4tb drives in RAID 5 currently, but I've thought about picking up another and converting to RAID 6. There is also the option of using Synology Hybrid Raid (SHR). What is generally considered the best option?

SHR is raid 5 or 6 internally (depending on amount of parity drives). You should be using SHR

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Skandranon posted:

Is that on read or write? For writing, that may just be how fast you're able to calculate parity. If it's on reads though, then it's probably a network controller issue.

This is on write. Could be, it is an old e6750, running at its stock speed of 2.66GHz. But then again, FreeNAS is reporting plenty of spare CPU power. Looks like 20% CPU usage. Individual disks are at 8-10MB/s, according to FreeNAS...

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

This is on write. Could be, it is an old e6750, running at its stock speed of 2.66GHz. But then again, FreeNAS is reporting plenty of spare CPU power. Looks like 20% CPU usage. Individual disks are at 8-10MB/s, according to FreeNAS...

It may only be able to use a single core for parity calculations, and you are railing that core.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Skandranon posted:

It may only be able to use a single core for parity calculations, and you are railing that core.

If that were true, wouldn't he be at 40%+ CPU usage? It's a dual core.

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe

Don Lapre posted:

SHR is raid 5 or 6 internally (depending on amount of parity drives). You should be using SHR

Looks like I'll have to wipe everything on the drives and start from scratch if I want to swap to SHR. Not that big of a deal since I haven't dropped a ton of stuff on there yet.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Twerk from Home posted:

If that were true, wouldn't he be at 40%+ CPU usage? It's a dual core.

Maybe? CPU might be starved for data.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

blk96gt posted:

Looks like I'll have to wipe everything on the drives and start from scratch if I want to swap to SHR. Not that big of a deal since I haven't dropped a ton of stuff on there yet.

Yea, do it now. Then if you move to a larger synology you can just migrate your discs over and keep expanding.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Don Lapre posted:

Yea, do it now. Then if you move to a larger synology you can just migrate your discs over and keep expanding.

I am assuming qnap has a similar setup, right?

Like would I be ok to start off in a 4 bay or larger with 2 drives and just add them as per my whims and discretionary spending?

Strongly considering a TS-x53A

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

No idea on qnap. With a synology you can move to new units once you need more bays and all your stuff stays the same, you can even migrate a legit synology to a home built xpenology.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Skandranon posted:

Maybe? CPU might be starved for data.

Then the CPU wouldn't be the bottleneck. Even Marvell controllers should do better than 30mb/s, and my router is pretty decent (Asus NT66 or whatever, the comically expensive one).

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Then the CPU wouldn't be the bottleneck. Even Marvell controllers should do better than 30mb/s, and my router is pretty decent (Asus NT66 or whatever, the comically expensive one).

The CPU isn't, but some part of the parity calculation probably is. Again, if you are able to get significantly more during read operations, then the problem is something to do with how it's calculating/writing parity.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Having the hardest time getting some numbers could anyone give me an approximate of how much they paid for a Netapp FAS2520 about 4tb

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

Don Lapre posted:

No idea on qnap. With a synology you can move to new units once you need more bays and all your stuff stays the same, you can even migrate a legit synology to a home built xpenology.

What if I only have 1 drive and I put it in JBOD mode, can I go SHR when I put another one in without having to format?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

socialsecurity posted:

Having the hardest time getting some numbers could anyone give me an approximate of how much they paid for a Netapp FAS2520 about 4tb

You want this thread - http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2943669

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Skandranon posted:

The CPU isn't, but some part of the parity calculation probably is. Again, if you are able to get significantly more during read operations, then the problem is something to do with how it's calculating/writing parity.

...This is weird. Now I'm getting speeds over 60MB/s. Nothing's really changed.

I'm also getting read speeds close to 100MB/s or thereabouts, my last transfer was yesterday.

roadhead
Dec 25, 2001

...This is weird. Now I'm getting speeds over 60MB/s. Nothing's really changed.

I'm also getting read speeds close to 100MB/s or thereabouts, my last transfer was yesterday.

My six drive Raid-Z2 actually WRITES faster over Samba than it reads, before the NIC hosed up and would only work at 10BaseT.

It was near 100 MB/s on writes from my Win7 desktop, and capped at 75 MB/s on reads. I never did figure that out.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

What if I only have 1 drive and I put it in JBOD mode, can I go SHR when I put another one in without having to format?

Technically you'll still need to reformat the drive your data is currently on, however there is a workaround:

1. Instead of adding the new drive to your existing JBOD volume create a new SHR volume using the new drive.
2. Move all of your data from the JBOD volume to the SHR volume
3. Delete the JBOD volume
4. Add the old drive to the new SHR volume

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

fletcher posted:

Wow, sounds like a good home for some hard drives. Crazy that they all died!

Were all of the drives purchased around the same time? I bought a bunch of Samsung HD154UI 1.5TB drives back in the day and ended up with three or four that were within about 30 serial numbers of each other (a couple nearly sequential). While most of them held up for a few years (I did have at least one die prematurely). The ones that were all closest in serial number all died the exact same way, with head crashing leading to grinding the actual disk. Must've been a barely-defective run of them.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
My primary file server at home is an 8-drive raid-5 of at least 6 year old Seagate Barracuda ST31000340NS on an Adaptec 5805Z, the famous ones that if you didn't update the firmware past the SN04 revision they would randomly poo poo the array. I like to live dangerously but not too dangerously, I have an identical server that boots weekly and mirrors everything over.

I really should get new drives, but I still have a stack of 4 that I can use as replacements. :v:

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
RAID5 is scary :ohdear:

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Were all of the drives purchased around the same time? I bought a bunch of Samsung HD154UI 1.5TB drives back in the day and ended up with three or four that were within about 30 serial numbers of each other (a couple nearly sequential). While most of them held up for a few years (I did have at least one die prematurely). The ones that were all closest in serial number all died the exact same way, with head crashing leading to grinding the actual disk. Must've been a barely-defective run of them.

I still have 3 of those HD154UI running. Nothing really important on them thankfully.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I had two left that I pulled and let sit on a shelf for a few months, both of them kicked the bucket once I fired them back up. Can't complain, they had a poo poo load of hours.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
The "problem" with RAID-Z and read performance are the full stripe writes, every filesystem block is a whole RAID-Z stripe. So when reading a single block, it has to touch all the data disks to assemble the block. With linear reads, ZFS' prefetcher notices and starts reading ahead, taking rotational and seeking latencies of the disks out of the picture. With random IO however, you're just hosed and your IO is subject to said latencies. If you want maximum read performance (for cold data) in ZFS, you have to go with mirrors/RAID-10.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
So by doing some testing, it seems my box has...interesting read write speeds:

Read: 503376780 bytes transferred in 1.483086 secs (339411702 bytes/sec) [300MB/s]
Write: 503376780 bytes transferred in 1.102334 secs (456646423 bytes/sec) [450MB/s]

...Being able to write faster than I read is...strange, to say the least. The speeds were tested using DD to copy video files to and from itself, RAM, etc.

Anyway, this is in contrast to my speeds on CIFS, where I write at...90MB/s.

Is this really just CIFS' overhead? Is there a better way for my windows machine to access my NAS?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

90MB/s is 720Mbps - e.g. nearly gigabit network speeds if you ignore overheads. You NIC might be lovely but if NFS isn't noticeably faster then that's probably the quickest you can go.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

So by doing some testing, it seems my box has...interesting read write speeds:

Read: 503376780 bytes transferred in 1.483086 secs (339411702 bytes/sec) [300MB/s]
Write: 503376780 bytes transferred in 1.102334 secs (456646423 bytes/sec) [450MB/s]

...Being able to write faster than I read is...strange, to say the least. The speeds were tested using DD to copy video files to and from itself, RAM, etc.

Anyway, this is in contrast to my speeds on CIFS, where I write at...90MB/s.

Is this really just CIFS' overhead? Is there a better way for my windows machine to access my NAS?

SMB is network so if you use ZFS it will use Sync'ed writes/ For laughs you can turn them off: zfs set sync=disabled datasetname.

SMB should be faster my Windows 8 machine pulls 111 MB/Sec easily.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Does the Fractal 304 often go on sale to $60? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811352027

I was checking out the stuff I'd need to convert my lil microATX htpc into a FreeNAS box [6 bay case, PCIe SATA, and.. the drives], and that seemed like a good enough deal to jump on right now.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Looks like it is pretty regular that that price - http://camelcamelcamel.com/Fractal-Design-Mini-ITX-Computer-FD-CA-NODE-304-BL/product/B009LHF4FO?context=browse

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

SMB should be faster my Windows 8 machine pulls 111 MB/Sec easily.
Same here. 110MB/s even while switched over the lovely switch inside my DSL modem.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Combat Pretzel posted:

Same here. 110MB/s even while switched over the lovely switch inside my DSL modem.

Well what the hell then. Cat 5e, gigabit ports, intel NIC/marvell NIC, asus nt66 router.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Could try checking the network throughput using iperf. It's a testing tool that can be run as server on one side and as client on the other, which then just hammer the connection to test TCP/IP transmission speeds. It's available in the repos on *nix and there's a Windows build on their site. Should top out at 970Mbit/s, at least it does here between two Intel NICs.

--edit: Just to see if things are in order or not. Using the RealTek on my old desktop mainboard for instance resulted in 470MBit/s maximum between it and an Intel, even when connected directly with a crossover wire.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Mar 5, 2016

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Not quite relevant for this performance scenario but one of the things I noticed was that encryption or compression latency is a huge limiting factor in certain protocols and environments. I turned on rsync -avz and got maybe 30 MBps transfers from within ESXi VM to VM (they're supposed to be 10 GbE connections with 9k MTU/MSS using vmxnet3 vNICs). I took off the z and throughput jumped to 300 MBps+

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

Am I remembering correctly that someone said not to buy HDDs from Newegg here due to an unusually high rate of failure? I'm going to pick up a 4TB HGST drive and it's currently $30 cheaper st Newegg. If $30 is the difference between a reliable and an unreliable drive, I'll buy it from Amazon.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Newegg packs them fine

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
If I recall it was Amazon who sometimes packed hdds poorly if they weren't already in a box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
Anecdotal, but there's a whole bunch of Reddit posts with pictures from Newegg showing really poor packing around drives, including one guy that did 3 RMAs in a row on the same order, and got drives floating loose in a box every time.

That said, Newegg's always done right by me in terms of drives, but I wouldn't be surprised if YMMV based on what distribution facility your stuff ships from.