Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

shovelbum posted:

Probably because young people are systematically disenfranchised by having unstable/terrible job situations that do not allow them to register or vote reliably in our awful nation.

They also have higher unemployment rates so it's more likely that they have Election day off. Checkmate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

computer parts posted:

By Millenials I assume you mean "young people".

Here's a graph of turnout rates for all Federal elections since 1986. As you can see, there's a fairly consistent trend of young people not voting, which then increases as they age. In midterms, 18-29 year olds have ~20% turnout, whereas in Presidential elections they turnout at 15-20% higher rates.

So, given that the oldest Millenials would've been about 5 at the point of the first graph, it's pretty clear to say that not voting is a general youth trend, not one specific to Millennials.

I mean specifically Millenials, but thank you. He probably does mean young people, though.

He's kind of crotchety about the whole job market bit too, how economically it's the best time since the 90s and that young people should not be complaining, how he was in a rough situation when he graduated college and not having enough money for the first rent down payment and not being able to rely on his parents for help (admittedly his parents were abusive so that was a factor) but he still made it work, etc.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Feb 24, 2016

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

computer parts posted:

The type of person to melt down over Bernie losing was not a reliable voter in the first place.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

shovelbum posted:

Yeah I wonder if bitter Bernie fans will refuse to vote for Clinton.

Here's a secret: the vast majority of Bernie supporters won't vote, regardless of who wins.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

computer parts posted:

Oh yeah, I never heard about anyone wanting to ban birthright citizenship, profile Muslims, or be bigots against Hispanics before Donald J Trump surfaced.

Have you ever heard of the word legitimized? There was no reprecussion to him floating these as policy ideas or positions (calling Mexicans rapists, etc), other candidates have followed suit or been rendered moot.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Shageletic posted:

Have you ever heard of the word legitimized? There was no reprecussion to him floating these as policy ideas or positions (calling Mexicans rapists, etc), other candidates have followed suit or been rendered moot.

The repercussions will be felt on election day when Latinos show up in droves to vote against his rear end.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Shageletic posted:

They were legitimized before him too, because sitting Congressmen and Senators would advocate for them.

(Not to mention previous administrations, in the case of profiling Muslims)

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

fishmech posted:

Here's a secret: the vast majority of Bernie supporters won't vote, regardless of who wins.
(Citation needed)

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Zeroisanumber posted:

The repercussions will be felt on election day when Latinos show up in droves to vote against his rear end.

Sorry, but the current narrative is that TRUMP WON THE LATINO VOTE IN NEVADA.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

I mean specifically Millenials, but thank you. He probably does mean young people, though.

He's kind of crotchety about the whole job market bit too, how economically it's the best time since the 90s and that young people should not be complaining, how he was in a rough situation when he graduated college and not having enough money for the first rent down payment and not being able to rely on his parents for help (admittedly his parents were abusive so that was a factor) but he still made it work, etc.

Relying on young people is almost always a losing strategy.

fknlo posted:

What a time to be alive...

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

fknlo posted:

Sorry, but the current narrative is that TRUMP WON THE LATINO* VOTE IN NEVADA.

*of republican primary voters that made it to a caucus on a Tuesday night in Nevada

That's still 140 people right or did Latino voters in a Republican primary reach the heady heights of 200 whole voters?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

fknlo posted:

There are only like what 500 of them in the US right?

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

zoux posted:

I mean, who knows why, but young voters are historically the lowest turnout voting demo.
It's not really hard to figure out why. Doing almost anything for the first time requires more effort than doing it on subsequent occasions. On top of this, young people are far more likely to be poor and move a lot due to unstable job or roommate situations, requiring new voter registrations more frequently than older people, even if they are registered to vote in the first place. And this is if they know how or where to register to vote in the first place (something they probably don't learn in high school).

And getting young people up to speed on political questions to the point that they can form an opinion and want to express it is much more difficult than the way older people are at least aware of the issues from years or decades of cultural osmosis.

There are basically a lot more hoops to jump through as a young person compared to an older person to vote.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

fishmech posted:

They also won't show up to the caucuses/primary booths. Oh, wait.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Inferior Third Season posted:

It's not really hard to figure out why. Doing almost anything for the first time requires more effort than doing it on subsequent occasions. On top of this, young people are far more likely to be poor and move a lot due to unstable job or roommate situations, requiring new voter registrations more frequently than older people, even if they are registered to vote in the first place. And this is if they know how or where to register to vote in the first place (something they probably don't learn in high school).

And getting young people up to speed on political questions to the point that they can form an opinion and want to express it is much more difficult than the way older people are at least aware of the issues from years or decades of cultural osmosis.

There are basically a lot more hoops to jump through as a young person compared to an older person to vote.

I just meant it's probably more complicated than the "drat kids too busy playing videogames on snapgram" analysis you see from older people mad at younger voters for not turning out.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

FlamingLiberal posted:

(Citation needed)

Citation:

Khisanth Magus posted:

They also won't show up to the caucuses/primary booths. Oh, wait.

Sanders has only won one state, and is on track to lose another state before Super Tuesday, and at least 5 states on Super Tuesday.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
FiveThirtyEight has the actual Latino entrance poll numbers

quote:

Indeed, the entrance poll had Trump beating Rubio 45 percent to 28 percent among Hispanics. But keep in mind that the sample size on that result is somewhere between 100 and 200 people. That means the margin of sampling error for the Hispanic subgroup is near +/- 10 percentage points (or even higher). Perhaps more importantly, just 8 percent of Republican voters were Hispanic (or 1 percent of the Nevadan Hispanic population), and they are not politically representative of the larger Hispanic community.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/nevada-caucus-results-donald-trump-2016-republican-primary/

Emphasis mine.

Gotta love the narrative that's going to play out after Trump won over 40% of 1% of the entire Nevadan Hispanic population.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

If a "Trump is actually good with Latinos" media narrative emerges from this Nevada poo poo I'm joining ISIS.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

zoux posted:

If "Trump is actually good with Latinos" media narrative emerges from this I'm joining ISIS.

Better prepack your bags.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

fishmech posted:

Citation:

Sanders has only won one state, and is on track to lose another state before Super Tuesday, and at least 5 states on Super Tuesday.

His home state I believe

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Gravel Gravy posted:

His home state I believe

Now you've done it...

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

zoux posted:

If a "Trump is actually good with Latinos" media narrative emerges from this Nevada poo poo I'm joining ISIS.

Will [THING] improve advertising revenues by fostering a horse race narrative? Then [THING] will happen.

Make of that what you will but, uhh, pack your Koran I'd say.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

fishmech posted:

Citation:

That just says that young people don't vote. Not that young primary voters don't show up in the general. You don't need me to tell you that.

e: but then I suppose you did say supporters, not voters.

either way, something tells me the vast majority of non-voting youth aren't really supporters of anyone

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

ReidRansom posted:

Fair enough, but my gut tells me those people will still vote, just maybe not for her. Third party protest vote at the top of the ticket, reliable D rest of the way down. Though I admit I'm basing that on basically nothing.

Alex seitz-wald has reported that Bernie plans to keep campaigning through the fall. The idea being that even if he doesn't get the nomination, he'll pivot his rhetoric slightly to "support Clinton" while working on his bigger goal of the long term constant organizing and mobilization of the working class he is pitching as a "revolution".

Satchel and Trunk
Nov 4, 2008
So, regardless of how many states Trump takes what are the current odds that the RNC just says "gently caress it" and changes the rules arbitrarily to deny him the nomination? Seems to me the party rulers are screwed regardless of how it swings from here on out...

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

zoux posted:

Just try not to get the Secret Service to hassle Lowtax again, ok?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Obama just announced that he's going to nominate Carla D. Hayden.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Fried Chicken posted:

Alex seitz-wald has reported that Bernie plans to keep campaigning through the fall. The idea being that even if he doesn't get the nomination, he'll pivot his rhetoric slightly to "support Clinton" while working on his bigger goal of the long term constant organizing and mobilization of the working class he is pitching as a "revolution".

I'm glad to hear that, especially if it helps downticket and reminds Clinton, should she win, that there is actual support for real leftist reform beyond just social issues.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

You got me, you got me real good.

I would thoroughly enjoy an African-American woman being nominated for that other thing.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Satchel and Trunk posted:

So, regardless of how many states Trump takes what are the current odds that the RNC just says "gently caress it" and changes the rules arbitrarily to deny him the nomination? Seems to me the party rulers are screwed regardless of how it swings from here on out...

Thing is, Trump has said that if he feels that he's being treated unfairly by the party that he reserves the right to run as an independent.

Beyond that, the GOP establishment has fumbled their handling of Trump in every single way since he blew up after the first debate. There's no reason to believe that they'll suddenly become ruthlessly efficient in handling him now that he's the prohibitive front runner.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

We cannot allow our conservative principals of returning books late and being loud in study areas to be tramped by a radical liberal majority.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

You're a trolling bastard, Joe.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Well played, Joe.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

They also have higher unemployment rates so it's more likely that they have Election day off. Checkmate.

Retired people have every day off, though.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

China's economy imploding is going to make Trump's "China is killing us" platform seem kinda hollow though

Not when their implosion craters our economy.

Trump will be right, but for the wrong reasons.

If Cruz loses Texas I'm going to be so drat happy. Not as happy as him failing to win reelection would make me, but the Trump (or Rubio) speeches about beating him in Texas would be fantastic.

I am shocked and was definitely not expecting a Texas court to let Perry off the hook for abusing his authority.

zoux posted:

It's the "nominee must win a majority of delegates from 8 states" rule that apparently Rubio doesn't know about.

http://i.imgur.com/UTLttnx.gifv

Cruz almost looks human in his attempt to not laugh at the absurdity of that poster.

Do Wet Farts Dream of Election Sheep?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Zeroisanumber posted:

Highly partisan Bernie voters aren't really the type of voters that we can count on to show up anyway. My biggest fear was them getting Bernie in as the nominee and then getting bored and losing enthusiasm before November.

I forget the exact number but the correlation of voting in the primary and then voting in the general is stupidly high, north of 90% iirc. Basically if you are committed enough to turn up in the spring, barring a black swan event you will show up in the fall, no matter how pissed off you are about the nominee.

It is one of the reasons a primary is good for the party - particularly one as light and in damaging as the Dems are having. Those folks who come out now will almost certainly come out in November.

Satchel and Trunk
Nov 4, 2008

Zeroisanumber posted:

Thing is, Trump has said that if he feels that he's being treated unfairly by the party that he reserves the right to run as an independent.

Beyond that, the GOP establishment has fumbled their handling of Trump in every single way since he blew up after the first debate. There's no reason to believe that they'll suddenly become ruthlessly efficient in handling him now that he's the prohibitive front runner.

Yeah, denial is a hell of a drug. It seems their only options are to accept the inevitable and get crushed in the general, or invite a civil war which would unravel the party entirely (and ensure they get crushed even harder in the general.)

I agree... :toxx: Trump will never be President.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

ReidRansom posted:

I'm glad to hear that, especially if it helps downticket and reminds Clinton, should she win, that there is actual support for real leftist reform beyond just social issues.

We'll see, I can easily see the Dems punching left hard at Sanders to stop it and take a gamble on mobilizing on their own, specifically because of those reasons.

Fried Chicken fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Feb 24, 2016

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

You got me before I had my coffee. Low blow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Majorian posted:

You got me before I had my coffee. Low blow.

I even got as far as googling her before I clicked on the link.

• Locked thread