Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Beet Wagon posted:

Worth it. What better legacy could a person have than Skynet wiping out all of humanity because I was a kicked over a baby robot?

John Connorbot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kordansk
Sep 12, 2011

Sickening posted:

I get why people really dislike sandy... But seriously? Calling her ugly is a bit of a stretch.

ugly is much more than looks.

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Beer: Who was your first kill, not counting old men?
Eonwe: One of the outlaws in the Brotherhood.
Seraph84: I was there that day. You were only a squire, sixteen years old.
Eonwe: You killed Friendly Tumour with a counter-post. Best move I ever saw.
Oven Wrangler
I sexually identify as a jet powered spitfire.

Dr Sun Try
May 23, 2009

Plaster Town Cop

xanif posted:

hot

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

X-Wing also didn't tell you when you had failed a mission until you finished it. :negative:

Indelibly burned into my brain: ABORT MISSION, MISSION A FAILURE

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

xanif posted:

Cannot unsee.

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

Sickening posted:

I get why people really dislike sandy... But seriously? Calling her ugly is a bit of a stretch.

Can I call her a faded & haggard harridan?

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
hot

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
haha remember dolvak lol

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

I was gonna say you should NSFW that picture, but now that I think about it I'm really not even sure what about it would be not work safe.

Tha_Joker_GAmer
Aug 16, 2006
google says virago is a synonym of harridan, which sounds cooler and not as offensive, maybe we can call her that idk.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

This is like somebody wants furniture based on Michelle Pfeiffer's Catwoman costume
gettin' hot under the collar here

flyboi posted:

Pretty sure that's just anodized and polished
even better (worse)

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Christ Roberts is way better than toilet lord...
:gary: :lesnick: :yarg:
:pgabz: :fuzzknot: :eonwe:
:wtchris:
To lazy to check, but did anyone see this yet?
If you have, well though luck.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYUmuplhjak

"so if you are that guy, then we wil Ban you, mods take note"

Shits sad man.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Liu posted:

google says virago is a synonym of harridan, which sounds cooler and not as offensive, maybe we can call her that idk.

I think "evil" sums it up nicely. Simple, short word that we came up with millennia ago because we needed it. And apparently we still do.

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

Beet Wagon posted:

I was gonna say you should NSFW that picture, but now that I think about it I'm really not even sure what about it would be not work safe.

They have jet engines for assholes :barf:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Hav posted:

Cannot unsee.

:eyepoop:

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Good Dumplings posted:

Those are some weirdly placed assholes, then. I just assumed the jet engines were extra.

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Oven Wrangler

Hav posted:

Cannot unsee.

I'm so hard right now.

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Oven Wrangler
Double post for food: http://imgur.com/a/jO2xC

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Crazy_BlackParrot posted:

To lazy to check, but did anyone see this yet?
If you have, well though luck.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYUmuplhjak

"so if you are that guy, then we wil Ban you, mods take note"

Shits sad man.

I'm surprised that nobody has gotten angry over him using the racial slur "dink" several times.

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

darkarchon posted:

In other news, I for one support our new mechanical overlords

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVlhMGQgDkY

So, today we have already mechs loading boxes, but in the future we have our grabby hands™ to put in stuff in boxes to manually move them around to do stuff. Awesome and immersive. In SC the effort for hauling cargo triples every second. Is it maybe the real stimpire?

It's one of the things I run into when reading a lot of Sci Fi. For example, the Red series and Parasite are both set in the near future where a lot of advances have happened, but both of them make fundamental assumptions that people will still be driving their own vehicles and taxi drivers will still exist. People already know how silly the idea of manually flying space fighters is, but manual labor loading and unloading cargo is something we're maybe two decades away from seeing the end of.

It's actually a bit frightening if you think about the implications for the job market. How many blue collar jobs are we going to lose? It'll be really curious to see how soon we get to self-driving trucks (10 years?). What'll that do to the economy? How about self-driving cabs? There's a nice video about this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Pq-S557XQU

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Beet Wagon posted:

Those are some weirdly placed assholes, then. I just assumed the jet engines were extra.

Conveniently placed tail fins though. Nice to have something to hang onto when you're doggy styling an anthropomorphic plane

Krakenwagen
Oct 31, 2015

Hav posted:

Cannot unsee.

The left one is a dude.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

spacetoaster posted:

I'm surprised that nobody has gotten angry over him using the racial slur "dink" several times.

I thought that sounded weird....

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

spacetoaster posted:

double income no kids is a race?

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Good Dumplings posted:

A friend from Mexico made me some kind super spicy shrimp soup once with a similar result.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Variable 5 posted:

She's actively ripping people of for hundreds/thousands of dollars. I think we can call that "ugly." She's a disgusting human being.

kordansk posted:

ugly is much more than looks.

runsamok posted:

Can I call her a faded & haggard harridan?

Remember how this thread makes fun of shitizens for being delusional? Lets not become the things we make fun of. Sandy certainly is a vile sociopath. As far as unattractive... eh... lets me honest with ourselves. For a 40 something talent-less hack, she isn't half bad looking.

Not this is a point I want to argue page after page over, just seems like a silly thing to attack her on. Goons are better than that at least compared to shitizens? Right? :iiam:

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Sickening posted:

Remember how this thread makes fun of shitizens for being delusional? Lets not become the things we make fun of. Sandy certainly is a vile sociopath. As far as unattractive... eh... lets me honest with ourselves. For a 40 something talent-less hack, she isn't half bad looking.

Not this is a point I want to argue page after page over, just seems like a silly thing to attack her on. Goons are better than that at least compared to shitizens? Right? :iiam:

:agreed: I didn't give a poo poo about benfat gate but let's leave that in the past and not start another one.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Sickening posted:

At this point in time, no, Sandi is not attractive to me personally. She looks like a soccer mom. Maybe like 20 years ago, yea she was hot but not now.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

Sickening posted:

Looks are subjective. She's ugly. Sorry that people like/dislike different things.

Every time I see her I shudder. Explain how that's attractive.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

I also have important opinions on things tangentially related to Star Citizen.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I'd hit it.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
post your favorite pic/gif of red pandas

http://i.imgur.com/oPuLriY.webm

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Variable 5 posted:

Every time I see her I shudder. Explain how that's attractive.

In the whatever billions of people that inhabit the world there is probably at least one person with a shaking nerd fetish.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/47a0mu/109_million_kerrrchiiiiing/

An accounting expert with the bonus of a couple goon shout outs.

notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT
At least I'm not a plane-fucker.

Thank gently caress we get a Twitch stream later, at the very least.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

notoriousman posted:

At least I'm not a plane-fucker.

Thank gently caress we get a Twitch stream later, at the very least.

oh nice.

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Oven Wrangler

Beet Wagon posted:

I also have important opinions on things tangentially related to Star Citizen.

I disagree with your opinions.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
This latest patch really helps to understand the answer to the question nobody thought to ask when this project began: "What is Star Citizen?"

We've all read the stretch goals, and we all had ideas in our minds of what this project could have been back during the Kickstarter. Many here, including myself, backed it. Some were so taken in by the possibilities offered that they continued to back it even once the problems started to surface. Very few people wanted to consider that the game would outright fail; I assert that the latest PTU patch instead indicates the direction I personally feared the project would take: the path to mediocrity.

Players had dreams of being pirates, merchants, miners, mercenaries - anything they could dream up. Early iterations of CIG's promises, "10 For the Chairman" notwithstanding, reinforced these ideas. I think many people saw this game as an evolutionary step beyond a hybrid of Eve and Elite Dangerous - the freedom and depth of the former, with the polish and attention to detail of the latter, with the added bonus of full immersion by allowing the universe to be experienced from a seamless first-person perspective.

Over the years, the most common cited cause being gross mismanagement from Chris Roberts himself, the development took on a laser-like focus on the "seamless first-person perspective" aspect of the game. A poor engine choice, combined with the absolute refusal to compromise on that vision, began to cripple the entire project. Instead of how, or even if, such a scheme could be made to work on such a grand scale, instead faith was placed in the idea that with enough money, studios, and developer talent, it just had to be possible. It was simply a matter of assigning resources.

The result of that mindset became evident when the first iteration of the PTU was released. A horribly broken mess that barely qualifies as a tech demo, much less a game. As the money ran down, Chris turned 100% of his attention to SQ42 (the project he actually wanted to release, which he funded through the promises made for a project he does not care about, or know how to play), leaving the rest of his teams to keep backers happy with continued attempts to get the PTU in working order.

Whether or not those teams are able to technologically achieve that goal is not relevant. What is relevant is that with this latest patch, they have taken the first step on what will become an irreversible path: they are no longer creating the game they planned. Instead, they are designing the game in response to the behavior and experiences of the players currently in the Alpha. Ignoring the rhetoric of whether or not the PTU qualifies as a "true alpha", this is not how you design game systems. Player behavior in a game environment is completely irrelevant if no game systems are yet in place - player behavior is only valuable as a metric once you study that behavior within a completed set of interwoven gaming systems.

The result is as hilarious as it is disappointing. New rules that give players "criminal ranks" for ramming ships on the landing pads. "Time outs" in your room for being killed as a criminal. These are systems that took development time to design, code, implement, test, and release. You will not find these gaming systems in the original pitch, the expanded pitch, or even in the stretch goals. Yet it is here nonetheless - the first actual game elements are now in place - and they were instituted not as an action by CIG, but as a reaction.

Star Citizen, as a game, is finally beginning to take shape. It is not being shaped by the vision of Chris Roberts, nor by design documents. It is not being shaped by the hopes and dreams of backers, nor the promises in 10 For the Chairman. It is instead being shaped by the reactions to chaotic player behavior in a closed pre-alpha environment - systems in place to curb behavior seen as undesirable, yet in no way moving toward any of the promises of what this game could have been. We can expect more such systems to be introduced over the coming months, each one intended to either fix or balance the previous patch, or introduce a new system in order to address some new concern about player behavior.

So now we have an answer to What is Star Citizen? Star Citizen is a game where every action you take is going to be limited by artificial constraints; all put in place to restrict player behavior to what people imagine that behavior should be. The "game" will be to learn the systems, and the constraints, and either work within them, or find a way around them. In other words, Star Citizen is the ultimate metagame. And that's the opposite of immersion.

Scruffpuff fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Feb 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Krakenwagen posted:

The left one is a dude.

He has awesome curves and the best eyelashes. I'll add him to my 'okay, I would' list behind Brad Pitt.

Scruffpuff posted:

This latest patch really helps to understand the answer to the question nobody thought to ask when this project began: "What is Star Citizen?"

It merely is

• Locked thread