Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
The real tragedy of this patch is that now Dark Knight is even more worthless in PvP than it already was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

Aphrodite posted:

The DPS trial doesn't actually require any real DPS checks. You just need to complete them in ~28 minutes.

I got the feeling that part of it is supposed to serve a "see how fast you can destroy it" sort of deal, but they don't report a time at the end. Ah well, I do like the idea that you can practice specific fight encounters, though I haven't tried any of them yet to see if it's worthwhile practice.

Samba De Amigo
Jun 11, 2014

nuru posted:

I hope that's OF because the insinuation that fending made clears easier than slaying is backwards thinking.

That's actually the opposite of what he said

Male of the Century posted:

"Endgame" tanks didn't want to use tank gear because they didn't clear content as easily and got ostracized if they didn't do certain DPS, so the tank gear that was being put into the game was being ignored.

Unless you assume he's being satirical in which case I dunno I didn't write it.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
A little touch I really liked from the MSQ: The WoL expressing genuine anger at Emmanellain's"woe is me" spiel.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

While I'm a little salty about my precious baby fell cleaves doing lower numbers now, and actually having to pay some attention to threat and spend a little time than I'd like in defiance at 60...

... my main concern would be how that translates to pre-tank stance content. It was clear from the patch notes that the devs' intended adjustment to the lower tank damage was to buff threat in tank stance to compensate. Okay, cool, fine, but how are things before you get the tank stance in the first place?

Even pre-patch, good DRGs and BRDs could ride even an experienced tank pretty hard on single-target threat in, say, Tam-tara normal on the bosses. I'd hate to think what sort of frustration a newbie tank might have to put up with now.

Ah well. When I get around to running roulettes again, I expect I'll find out for myself.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Samba De Amigo posted:

That's actually the opposite of what he said

Unless you assume he's being satirical in which case I dunno I didn't write it.

Thinking it was OF I thought it was! But yeah you're right.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I know they buffed Savage Blade's threat, so GLAs should be alright at least.

And I'm glad I play PLD so that I'm not bummed about threat changes. Although I should get WAR up soon, he's been 57 for a while.

Ah well, MNK's there for when I want to punch things hard and harder.

One thing I never actually bothered to find out: do buffs improve the damage of LBs? Should I be aiming to stack all my buffs before a Bladedance/Final Heaven?

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Vil posted:

While I'm a little salty about my precious baby fell cleaves doing lower numbers now, and actually having to pay some attention to threat and spend a little time than I'd like in defiance at 60...

... my main concern would be how that translates to pre-tank stance content. It was clear from the patch notes that the devs' intended adjustment to the lower tank damage was to buff threat in tank stance to compensate. Okay, cool, fine, but how are things before you get the tank stance in the first place?

Even pre-patch, good DRGs and BRDs could ride even an experienced tank pretty hard on single-target threat in, say, Tam-tara normal on the bosses. I'd hate to think what sort of frustration a newbie tank might have to put up with now.

Ah well. When I get around to running roulettes again, I expect I'll find out for myself.

I've done it the past couple days, and it's a close thing when the DDs are competent and engaged. The buff to Savage Blade enmity and the Novice gear aren't quite enough.

ApplesandOranges posted:

One thing I never actually bothered to find out: do buffs improve the damage of LBs? Should I be aiming to stack all my buffs before a Bladedance/Final Heaven?

Think it's based on the group's gear.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Powerman5000 is upset? Hahaha.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
One thing I can't figure out is why the player base would be happy with tanks doing less damage. They do realize that less damage means they aren't going to clear content faster, right? My assumption is "As a DPS my tank shouldn't do more damage than me!" which essentially is bad players placing the blame on other players.

I guess it's mainly that DRK got hit the hardest with the nerf. They were a good OT because of the extra damage they could do, but now that WAR continues to do be the highest dpsing tank and PLD has raid effects and the buffs are much better overall, DRK kind of got screwed.

voltcatfish posted:

Powerman5000 is upset? Hahaha.

Source on this?

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!
It's the second post on their facebook page.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
The class, gear and content design in XIV has always skewed very conservative. They keep healer and tank DPS low for the same reason gear has very simplistic stats and classes have very mild synergy -- they want group comp to have as small an effect on fight design as possible.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy

seiferguy posted:

Source on this?

efb

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

edit: beaten

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

seiferguy posted:

One thing I can't figure out is why the player base would be happy with tanks doing less damage. They do realize that less damage means they aren't going to clear content faster, right? My assumption is "As a DPS my tank shouldn't do more damage than me!" which essentially is bad players placing the blame on other players.

I guess it's mainly that DRK got hit the hardest with the nerf. They were a good OT because of the extra damage they could do, but now that WAR continues to do be the highest dpsing tank and PLD has raid effects and the buffs are much better overall, DRK kind of got screwed.

Source on this?

Because one role shouldn't be able to do the job of two at the same time as effectively as tanks could for a while there.

That has to be fake or a joke.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

One of the things that I liked most about this game is that tanks and healers were essentially hybrid dps that could take a hit or heal when needed. I don't think it was really a problem because it's not like the optimal group comp had no dps in it. If they wanted tanks to wear fending accs they should have put something on fending accs to make them worthwhile, instead of forcing them into it.

I'm pretty upset with the change.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Feb 24, 2016

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Well it's not fake because this got posted in DGKK: https://www.facebook.com/officialpowerman5000

Fister Roboto posted:

One of the things that I liked most about this game is that tanks and healers were essentially hybrid dps that could take a hit or heal when needed. I'm pretty upset with the change.

They still are.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Verranicus posted:

That has to be fake or a joke.

It definitely ain't fake. A joke? Maybe.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
It's real. Here's their Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/officialpowerman5000/posts/1163822686963071

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
They should be glad they're getting free advertisement, I had no idea who they were before this.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Truga posted:

They still are.

But they're worse at it now, for no other reason than the devs sucking at designing and incentivizing gear.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Truga posted:

They should be glad they're getting free advertisement, I had no idea who they were before this.

I was gonna say, I haven't thought of Powerman 5000 since high school, which was, like.. over a decade ago. I'd assumed they were long gone.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
I'm a PLD in VIT so this patch was a buff for me! :haw:

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Truga posted:

Their popularity was probably at it's peek whenever one of their songs ended up in one of the Pro Skater games. I don't think they were ever relavant before or after that.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Truga posted:

Well it's not fake because this got posted in DGKK: https://www.facebook.com/officialpowerman5000

They still are.

Ahahaha they're going to try to sue the gently caress out of SE for this. Powerman 5000 hasn't been a band that was actually notable before or since the time of Tony Hawk's Pro Skater tbh.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

I was totally thinking 'hey this is just like that one THPS song' while I was listening to it, especially since a couple of the rhymes end with -ide.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Fister Roboto posted:

But they're worse at it now, for no other reason than the devs sucking at designing and incentivizing gear.

Tanks (especially warriors) did way too too high a % of a DPS' damage. The normalization was well overdue.

On that note, 3.2 brought us something very interesting! Thanks to Sky/Stone/Sea, we have the first official DPS numbers direct from SE's balance team. It's weird that SMN is so much lower than BLM, but the spread in estimated damage is pretty low across the board.

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day
I haven't finished the main story quests yet but so far the most surprising plot twist is definitely that Powerman5000 is still around.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Fister Roboto posted:

Yeah if they felt tank dps is too high compared to other classes, surely what they should have done is just raise everyone else's DPS by 25%. Then tanks wouldn't give a poo poo because their numbers still worked like before. I really wonder why they haven't gone that way.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Truga posted:

Yeah if they felt tank dps is too high compared to other classes, surely what they should have done is just raise everyone else's DPS by 25%. Then tanks wouldn't give a poo poo because their numbers still worked like before. I really wonder why they haven't gone that way.

What I'm really upset about is that they took away the option for tanks to be able to do more dps at the expense of survivability if they wanted it. They could have made it so that stacking vit would be preferable in some situations but still left the option to stack str if you didn't need it. But instead they made str inferior to vit in every way and thus forced everyone into the same thing.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Truga posted:

If it's really the same difference, why does anyone give a poo poo which direction they do it?

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Speaking as a WAR tank, I hope their next order of business is to nerf healer DPS :getin:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

So when is somebody gonna tell them that their song isn't actually all that unique or distinctive? I'd do it myself but I'm not sure I have the heart

Technogeek posted:

It is, and I do.

This is a good twitter page.

Fister Roboto posted:

What I'm really upset about is that they took away the option for tanks to be able to do more dps at the expense of survivability if they wanted it.

Isn't that the entire reason that Paladins and Warriors are separate classes from one another?

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Empress Theonora posted:

I'm a PLD in VIT so this patch was a buff for me! :haw:

Same here, tanking at 60 (at least in Shield Oath) is much easier now. However, last night I noticed lower level content feels more difficult to tank against AoE groups than it did before the patch. I've never run meters or anything like that so who knows, it was just a lot less relaxing than I'm used to.

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day

dromal phrenia posted:

Speaking as a WAR tank, I hope their next order of business is to nerf healer DPS :getin:

Judging by my accuracy in the new dungeons, they already have. :colbert:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

GlitchThief posted:

If it's really the same difference, why does anyone give a poo poo which direction they do it?

People like bigger numbers.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

dromal phrenia posted:

Healer DPS is already nerfed and poo poo because half my things straight up miss. Watch what you wish for, next you know you'll have to equip full accuracy and parry gear to hit anything.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I hope they nerf dps classes' HP and armor, they're way too tanky as it is. They should die instantly if mobs even look at them.

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

The lower level dungeons could probably be run with 3 people while I do the manderville the entire time, I'm not sure holding aggro is very important at that level

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Truga posted:

Healer DPS is already nerfed and poo poo because half my things straight up miss. Watch what you wish for, next you know you'll have to equip full accuracy and parry gear to hit anything.

Just imagine Provoke needing accuracy to land.

• Locked thread