Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
King Aroo (January 30, 1951)

Barnaby (July 7, 1942)

Nancy (March 16, 1943)

Wash Tubbs (November 27, 1928)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Calvin and Hobbes is saying something, but they're too subtle for me to figure it out.

e: For context, we're in June of '92. Notable sequels released this year included Home Alone 2, Batman Returns, Honey I Blew Up The Kid, Pet Sematary Two, Lethal Weapon 3, Alien 3, and Meatballs 4.

Ripley's

Darthemed fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Feb 23, 2016

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Hobbes wearing the shirt back to front kills me :3:

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

I always felt this strip walked a bit too close to the line of "Is Hobbes real?" It's supposed to be open-ended and up for interpretation, as Watterson intended. And while Calvin could have easily made that (he shows a lot of potential for sculpture with his snowmen), he is adamant he didn't make that tiger. So either Hobbes is real or Calvin has some clear issues to work through.

This comment brought to you by Thinking Too Hard About Calvin & Hobbes

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
He also had Hobbes write a story that got an A last arc iirc.

Further thinking too hard...

I know some things are potshots at real life things, I think he said avant-garde snow sculpture art comics are digs at newspaper strips, but I cant work out if this is a dig or if it is just regular ironic calvin joke stuff.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

dirksteadfast posted:

I always felt this strip walked a bit too close to the line of "Is Hobbes real?" It's supposed to be open-ended and up for interpretation, as Watterson intended. And while Calvin could have easily made that (he shows a lot of potential for sculpture with his snowmen), he is adamant he didn't make that tiger. So either Hobbes is real or Calvin has some clear issues to work through.

This comment brought to you by Thinking Too Hard About Calvin & Hobbes

There's also some strips later on that call into question whether or not everything that happens is just all in Calvin's imagination (The duplicator story arcs for example, particularly the second one where he uses it to make a "good" version of himself to do things like go to school in the like while the real one stays home. If it was his imagination, that would mean that one day he decided to comb his hair down and start applying himself/being nice to people while at the same time imagining he was his usual self at home talking about this with Hobbes, or one scene in the first arc where in one scene Calvin somehow moves to different rooms in the span of a few seconds and enters and exits the same room multiple times, I bring these two arcs up because they're one of the few times that those outside Calvin's world like his parents actually take notice that something is going on.) So either these things are actually happening or Calvin's just a kid with an overactive imagination and way too much time on his hands, but once again I'm probably thinking too hard about this.

I do kind of like the theory though that Hobbes is basically just Calvin's internal monolouge and as he grew up the "Hobbes" persona would eventually become his dominant personality.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Feb 23, 2016

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

treasureplane posted:

King Aroo (January 30, 1951)

For a second I was reminded that if this was a Kevin & Kell cartoon then the bird would be eating the firefly. gently caress Kevin & Kell! :mad:

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

LordPants posted:

He also had Hobbes write a story that got an A last arc iirc.

Further thinking too hard...

I know some things are potshots at real life things, I think he said avant-garde snow sculpture art comics are digs at newspaper strips, but I cant work out if this is a dig or if it is just regular ironic calvin joke stuff.

It's probably a dig at the comic strip industry as a whole, and especially his syndicate's relentless attempts to get him to merchandise Calvin & Hobbes.

painynumbs
Apr 1, 2011

Senior Woodchuck posted:

It's probably a dig at the comic strip industry as a whole, and especially his syndicate's relentless attempts to get him to merchandise Calvin & Hobbes.
Fun fact: In addition to saying no to the syndicate over and over again, Bill Watterson also turned down Steven Spielberg when he inquired about film rights.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
Moomin

Classic Dilbert

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set knows you have to spend money to make money.

Working Daze shows off the "O"-face.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix knows that free will is a lie.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

Look, friend, it's surprising enough that the Evanses actually went through with playing the Gay Card. Did you really think they were planning to dip a toe into the hoary netherworld that is asexuality?

The Amazing Spider-Man

Sally Forth

The Heart of Juliet Jones

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't this originally how Evans planned to write Luann's old love interest Aaron out of the picture, before opting for that weird "he's engaged already or something" angle? I guess I'm glad that we're apparently at the point where homosexuality is safe enough you can put it in a comic other than Doonesbury?

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Just hours after I said Bloom County was taking a time out for commerce, they went and dropped this on us.

Skippy (December 25, 1928)

Pogo (February 25, 1958)

Peanuts: Year Four (April 29-May 2, 1954)

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
Rarebit Fiend (click for huge)

Outbusts of Everett True

Good Time Guy (click for big)

Gay and Her Gang (click for big)

Feiffer (click for big)

Wee Pals

Life In Hell

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

SomeMathGuy posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't this originally how Evans planned to write Luann's old love interest Aaron out of the picture, before opting for that weird "he's engaged already or something" angle? I guess I'm glad that we're apparently at the point where homosexuality is safe enough you can put it in a comic other than Doonesbury?

Only if you're writing a nonthreatening lesbian character, though

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Prudence has a weird character design even for Greg Evans. I'll just hope it is an homage to a lesbian he knows.

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON
Well, at least the twist is way better than the "Pru is trans" idea that one or two people here were hypothesizing. Lord only knows how that'd would've been handled.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

The Sphinxster posted:

Prudence has a weird character design even for Greg Evans. I'll just hope it is an homage to a lesbian he knows.

All of the new characters look weird and don't fit with the original cast.

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Gil 05/24/15

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Dishonest John, you say?

Judge Parker

Cut him some slack, Neddy. Hank has his hands full putting together your free building that Rocky's money had paid for.

9 Chickweed Lane

Pibgorn Wahoo Terminal

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

For a strip that is so obsessively on point with regards to baseball stuff, It bugs me how Charlie Brown lifts his head as he makes contact. That's bad technique!!

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I can't believe Charlie Brown is bad at baseball.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Andertoons

Pluggers

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Peanuts (February 26, 1969)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (October 29-30, 1928)

Thimble Theater (September 12, 1929)

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

EasyEW posted:

Just hours after I said Bloom County was taking a time out for commerce, they went and dropped this on us.

I don't really like Bloom County, but

Colbert's fuckin ear :laffo:

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
SNL Guys 1 and 2. Come on, they have names. Also there's a guy with a flatcap.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Red Meat

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

The Wild Man of YOLO
Apr 20, 2004

A little cross-country, gentlemen?

Pickles

Bleeker the Rechargeable Dog

Wallace the Brave

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
drat, straight up refusal of several schools of Zen. Way to offend the enlightened guy Mr. Therapist.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Mark Trail

Pearls Before Swine

But remember, you can't call a strip "Heavenly Nostrils."

The Phantom

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Selachian posted:

Rhymes with Orange

What are these, so wither'd and so wild in their attire, that look not like the inhabitants o' the earth, and yet are on't? Live you? or are you aught that man may question? You seem to cook a meal, by chopped meat, tomatoes and peppers stew'd within thy pot: it should be chili, and yet yon carrots forbid me to interpret that it is so.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Mark's planning to leave these two trapped in a cave wall, isn't he?

Calvin and Hobbes

Ripley's

What if Ripley's just started running ways people have committed suicide?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set is sized to fit.

Working Daze makes an overdone nerd joke, adds a second punchline, is terrible.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix thinks long term.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

EasyEW posted:

Out Our Way (October 29-30, 1928)

Someone please this to me.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Nenonen posted:

Someone please this to me.

It's pretty simple. Boys been running his mouth about things he shouldn't.

The boys mother has been having problems of some sort, that I would imagine she would like to have kept private.
Yet her son has been telling that lady(and others?!) about these problems.
I would think the lady in the back ground is a mother of a friend of his. See the boys playing football in the background?

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

Evil Mastermind posted:

This is why that 90's Godzilla movie sucked so bad. (Well, *one* reason)

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

That does not even crack the top 100 list of reasons that movie sucked. The whole thing was made of Bad Ideas Comix.

Pooch Café

Chazz, if he got inside he could open the door. You don't need a key to unlock the door from inside.

Ballard Street

Wendell, that dog looks like Jack Nicholson on a boat.

Which I guess is pretty buff for Ballard Street.

Lost Side of Suburbia

You can tell Lucius is really stressed out, he's dropped his brooding badass persona entirely. We all knew he was faking that poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Evil Mastermind posted:

If a dragon breathed a giant cloud of CO2 at you, you might suffer some medical problems anyway when it displaces all the breathable air in your vicinity.

• Locked thread