Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

FraudulentEconomics posted:

I suppose my main question is how many people would even view scaling dark events as dangerous to their campaigns? Does this add a sort of tactical approach to the Dark Events beyond "gently caress Chryssalids" or "I could really use another engineer?"

So I really like this idea, but a problem with it is still around the core game. Maybe it'll work much better with an increased pod size mod. I'm thinking that because most people are allowed, in the vanilla game, to eliminate pods before they can retaliate. Also, most aliens are heavily weighted to use their unique abilities before taking normal shots.

I do like the idea a lot though. It finally gives hazmat vests a real role, and it can give the medkit a place, too since it has passive poison immunity as a perk. Also, status effects are way more harmful than direct damage in the late game, since the -AIM penalties and Ability-Lock they often cause severely reduce usefulness and will definitely increase tension.
It'll raise the need for people to carry medkits if they don't have a Solace available. Since it's all on normal shots, people could have the status effect cast on them over and over again, too. So, that tension increase comes from having to spend actions on healing, or have people take lower accuracy shots and gamble.

So, maybe try to gear it to get bad toward the middle of the mid game so it's more commonly hitting A-Teams in plate armor or something so that players tech rate is impacted by wounding and spending supplies on recruiting new squaddies? I dunno, it's something that'll have to be tested through play. :shrug:

Anyway, this post has gone on pretty long. I think it's a very good idea, but it might not gel well as a late-game solution in vanilla Xcom2 since you're gonna blaster bomb combo everything into dust anyway. They won't even get to use all their cool new toys!

edit: If it seems too severe to have it land in the midgame as a permanent Advent upgrade, have it be counterable by destroying Advent facilities to roll back the upgrade level? I don't know if it's possible, but it would help people stop gaming the doom timer at least? :shrug:

Erata fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Feb 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

The game definitely needs a way to make the endgame more difficult, and escalating and compounding Dark Events would be a natural way to do it. You can make them nastier in general, lower the frequency early on and then start pressuring the player through them once they are supposed to have tier 3 poo poo and psykers.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
I wasn't sure whether this was real or not and I'm glad that it is. Subscribed. Eagerly awaiting the Suave Faceless mod.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Has anyone found out where to modify overwatch/ambush shots? I'd like to make a mod called "devastating ambushes," where during concealment your guys get multiple shots at the enemies etc. Just because thematically concealment doesn't seem as powerful as it should. It's gotten to the point that I don't even care about concealment anymore except with a concealed ranger and a sniper.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Can weapons have perks associated with them a la Long War in XCOM2? Playing with an increased squad size mod and running with three Grenadiers (2 demolitions, 1 gunner), it's kind of ridiculous to have nearly half the squad with gently caress-off huge guns (and only one of them can hit things reliably, hah).

Just spitballing here, but it eventually led me to think about a mod that loosened weapon restrictions on everyone, but also gave each weapon its own associated perk so any class would be able to benefit in some way. For example, Rifles could give boosts to your Overwatch shots (Covering Fire perhaps), Cannons could have Shredder baseline, and Sniper Rifles could get Squadsight back (Shotguns already are differentiated well enough thanks to their unique range mechanic).

Ultimately this is just coming from me getting spergy about the "aesthetics" of squad compositions, but it'd be nice to have a bit more diversity in class builds thanks to their choice of weaponry.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

peak debt posted:

I just found out that Stock procs can proc Execute procs!

Also, missed skulljack attempts proc Stock damage!

Wizard Styles posted:

How many Chryssalids does that Dark Event put into a mission anyway? I've always been too scared of what they'd do on a map with many civilians to allow it to happen.

To be honest, I have never not let that one through and it's never bothered me in the slightest. I think there may well be something wrong with it because I'm not even sure if it does anything.

Really, 'lids stop being a concern to me once I get Predator armor and its ability for the wearer to survive a 'lid mauling, since I always have a minimum of 4 medkit charges on every mission. Mid-turn remain of greater concern with a 'lid pod, of course, but that's true of most potential pod spawns.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

Powercrazy posted:

Has anyone found out where to modify overwatch/ambush shots? I'd like to make a mod called "devastating ambushes," where during concealment your guys get multiple shots at the enemies etc. Just because thematically concealment doesn't seem as powerful as it should. It's gotten to the point that I don't even care about concealment anymore except with a concealed ranger and a sniper.

An 'ambush' is essentially setting most of your guys on overwatch and having the last guy huck a grenade at the pod. As soon as concealment is broken, your teammates will usually shred the stragglers and survivors. Multiple attacks would just be absurdly overpowered. It would be neat if concealment was preserved if you manage to kill an entire pod without being 'detected', though.

Nobody answered my question from last page- what triggers new and more powerful enemies to spawn? Completing story missions or knocking months off the calendar?

PoizenJam fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Feb 24, 2016

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

JVNO posted:

An 'ambush' is essentially setting most of your guys on overwatch and having the last guy huck a grenade at the pod. As soon as concealment is broken, your teammates will usually shred the stragglers and survivors. Multiple attacks would just be absurdly overpowered. It would be neat if concealment was preserved if you manage to kill an entire pod without being 'detected', though.

Nobody answered my question from last page- what triggers new and more powerful enemies to spawn? Completing story missions or knocking months off the calendar?

Time, except for story tied enemies like gatekeepers and codices. In my current legendary run all I've done is the first black site mission and I already have hoards of mutons and shieldbearers and arcons.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Taffer posted:

Time, except for story tied enemies like gatekeepers and codices. In my current legendary run all I've done is the first black site mission and I already have hoards of mutons and shieldbearers and arcons.

Actually, my first gatekeeper spawned before I met it in what I presume is supposed to be it's introduction mission. I was doing a VIP extract when suddenly this rear end in a top hat burst through a wall after one of its buddies spotted my squad.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

FraudulentEconomics posted:

The way I understand it, you get roughly 2 months to handle a dark event. So you're going to get 1 dark event no matter what generally. Most often I leave the Avatar Progress ones up because I can just blow up the facility whenever it happens and that's a bit of a moot point. I specifically leave infiltrators alone because more mimic beacons is a good thing. gently caress Chrysallids though, they always get prevented. I by and large ignore most of the projects because they're so insignificant. Even the cypher one is ignoreable because I can just focus on resource gathering instead of expansion for that month. I feel like they should trigger when you get a monthly supply drop, but they clearly don't.

Yeah that's the other thing, most of the dark events aren't threatening at all. Oh no 1 armor! Now I'll only do 15 damage instead of 16. The UFO Hunt would have been dangerous when it triggered, but they failed to intercept us so nothing happened.

quote:

To be honest, I have never not let that one through and it's never bothered me in the slightest. I think there may well be something wrong with it because I'm not even sure if it does anything.

The one that puts faceless into missions put exactly one faceless into one mission. I forgot it was even around.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
It's time based? Well gently caress- looks like my strategy of turtling before story missions on ironman may backfire.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Is there only 1 guaranteed Avenger defense in a campaign, but others can occur with dark events?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Orgophlax posted:

Is there only 1 guaranteed Avenger defense in a campaign, but others can occur with dark events?

Is there a guaranteed one? I haven't hit it yet.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Orgophlax posted:

I never had an Avenger defense on my Veteran playthrough. Encountered UFO hunters twice (from dark events), but evaded both.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Orgophlax posted:

There's no guaranteed defense, it only comes from the UFO dark event.

bpACH
Apr 5, 2009

Orgophlax posted:

I believe that there is a guaranteed UFO hunt, but I don't think that there is a guaranteed Avenger defense. In my last campaign (veteran), I only got one because I was drawing out the game in order to see how the defense matrix performs. Even then, I escaped from UFOs one or two times before getting the mission.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

Yeah that's the other thing, most of the dark events aren't threatening at all. Oh no 1 armor! Now I'll only do 15 damage instead of 16. The UFO Hunt would have been dangerous when it triggered, but they failed to intercept us so nothing happened.

The armor is more dangerous early when you've got fewer options for shred/do less damage overall/are facing more Advent troops (due to other aliens not being around in numbers yet). Past mid-game it's not a big deal but it can be a pain if it drops while you're still on ballistic weapons.

The only must-counter really are the supply drop reducing one and probably poison Advent bullets. Vigilance/bonus Chryssalids are also pretty bad, but not as painful.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Orgophlax posted:

This is good to ask, because I know this happened to me after I raided the Forge. Previously, I had evaded two UFO Hunt Dark Events, but it was never one of the ones 'in the queue' so to speak when I engaged in my raid and lo and behold, suddenly there's a random UFO hunting me down.

It did shoot me down, but by that point in the game it was incredibly easy. I crept forward just enough to 'see' the scrambling pylon so my Sharpshooter could put a bunch of holes in it. After that, I shelled the treeline out in front of the Avenger so the enemy had no cover to run to when they proc'd the overwatch shots from my team/the four Avenger turrets that were being managed by an engineer. It was pretty much shooting fish in a barrel at that point and it got boring, so we headed off.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Y'know, I never really understood all the drama that came out of the mod scene in various games, but after putting up a few mods and getting some godawful comments, i'm starting to understand what happens. Like seriously you get free poo poo and you're gonna complain about dumb ancillary poo poo without so much as a "thank you"? It boggles the loving mind.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

SpookyLizard posted:

Y'know, I never really understood all the drama that came out of the mod scene in various games, but after putting up a few mods and getting some godawful comments, i'm starting to understand what happens. Like seriously you get free poo poo and you're gonna complain about dumb ancillary poo poo without so much as a "thank you"? It boggles the loving mind.

Thank you for your service

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

JVNO posted:

What I use is
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=619816174 and
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=623155292 (set for 2 rounds, individual)

It stops the timer if Im concealed, and conceals me after 2 turns of not being seen by pods. Gets a nice little fog of war thing going.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Is there any thing you can do to wake up an unconscious soldier or will they stay sleeping for the whole mission?

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

LowellDND posted:

It stops the timer if Im concealed, and conceals me after 2 turns of not being seen by pods. Gets a nice little fog of war thing going.

I don't like the idea of timers being frozen until concealment is broken, and I'm not particularly crazy about a squad 'regaining' concealment unless there was something implemented in the AI to put them in a 'high alert' status or something similar. The game would be pitifully easy if I could slink off into concealment every 2 turns and setup a 1 turn murder-fest for each pod.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Mystic Stylez posted:

Is there any thing you can do to wake up an unconscious soldier or will they stay sleeping for the whole mission?

Revival Protocol will get them back on their feet.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

PantsBandit posted:

Thank you for your service

You're welcome, citizen. :patriot:

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

SpookyLizard posted:

What I like even more is the barrage of comments on every gameplay mod talking about how unbalanced and unfair it is. Like... People realize this poo poo isn't in a vacuum right? You can mix buff mods and nerf mods. Also, who gives a poo poo, it's an SP game!

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

SpookyLizard posted:

The only way to deal is to be sassy and/or ignore the negative feedback.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

SpookyLizard posted:

You're welcome, citizen. :patriot:

You carry on carrying on. You're doing glorious work.

Or:

Mordaedil posted:

The only way to deal is to be sassy and/or ignore the negative feedback.

These are both good choices. But beware the stove, for it burns no matter how cleverly you touch it or how long you ignore it.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Holy moly this game owns bones. While I enjoyed the X-COM before this one quite a lot I must admit I didn't get very far in it due to being horrible at the metagame.

I don't know what it is about this game, whether the meta is easier to play or just easier for me to understand, but I'm doing a lot better in this game than I ever did in the first one. It might be because the game feels a lot more like you're making the decisions rather than reacting to the whole world making GBS threads on you.

I'm save scumming to hell, naturally, but my house rules only allow reloads when one of the characters based upon me and my friends dies irrecoverably. I have a load of awesome generic soldiers who I've grown to love, but if they die there's no saving them.

That being said, since this is such a big thread I'm sorry if this has been asked before but has anyone witnessed a bug where on choosing an action, the character immediately performs it rather than allowing you to target an enemy or location? It's started to crop up and it's infuriating because it basically blows their turn doing something dumb (That I didn't authorise for once) and forces me to reload. Any idea what causes this? Using keyboard shortcuts won't trigger the same issue.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Screenshots!

I may have waited a bit too long to actually build a Proving Grounds.

Oh God loving lol, that paid off immediately, thank you again Mr. Vile

Andromedons might actually be better than Mimic Beacons. That 4 armor is amazing against an AI that doesn't really understand why shredding armor has to be a priority. I was just walking him around in all the ADVENT guys' faces, and shot after shot was landing for 1 damage while the armor soaked the rest of it. I ended up just chasing a Shieldbearer across the map while my actual guys sat around and laughed.

Then because I was curious, I evac'd my psi ops dude to see what'd happen. Turns out the Mind Control immediately breaks, but the previously-controlled alien doesn't get a react move or anything. It just had to stand there and watch as the rest of the squad evac'd out too. In my mind it was impotently shaking its tiny alien fist.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

Songbearer posted:

I don't know what it is about this game, whether the meta is easier to play or just easier for me to understand, but I'm doing a lot better in this game than I ever did in the first one. It might be because the game feels a lot more like you're making the decisions rather than reacting to the whole world making GBS threads on you.

They kind of just straight up flipped the roles of 'invader' and 'defender', which is just about the coolest and straightforward idea for a sequel I've seen in a long time. I'm wondering where they go from here though? They've done a defense campaign and an offensive campaign- perhaps if we're lucky and Firaxis is ambitious enough we'll get a ridiculous, full scale, Star Craft esque game where you can play a campaign as either faction.

Because that would loving own. Perhaps the play style and objectives (both ground game and base building) differ slightly based on role. I initially considered this when I discovered 'XCom loses' is the canon ending for EU- even with multiply campaigns there could be a central 'canon'.

I haven't finished XCom 2, but I'm lead to believe the ending sets up for another, scarier alien faction?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

CapnAndy posted:

Then because I was curious, I evac'd my psi ops dude to see what'd happen. Turns out the Mind Control immediately breaks, but the previously-controlled alien doesn't get a react move or anything. It just had to stand there and watch as the rest of the squad evac'd out too. In my mind it was impotently shaking its tiny alien fist.

I MC'd a shieldbearer and was a little bummed I couldn't take him with me.

quote:

They kind of just straight up flipped the roles of 'invader' and 'defender', which is just about the coolest and straightforward idea for a sequel I've seen in a long time. I'm wondering where they go from here though? They've done a defense campaign and an offensive campaign- perhaps if we're lucky and Firaxis is ambitious enough we'll get a ridiculous, full scale, Star Craft esque game where you can play a campaign as either faction.

Building XCOM bases and take back city centers from the aliens would be fun. Have a squad a continent! Build interceptors (I love those jets though the airgame wasn't great)! Get civilians to fight back!

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Feb 24, 2016

Soho Joe
Aug 11, 2006

the torment of existence
weighed against
the horror of nonbeing
Nap Ghost
Yahtzee complained about mission timers and RNG and why "More XCOM" is "A Bad Thing" :allears:

ZuljinRaynor
Apr 25, 2010

NERD LICENSE IMMUNITY
It's just been revoked!

Soho Joe posted:

Yahtzee complained about mission timers and RNG and why "More XCOM" is "A Bad Thing" :allears:

So basically what every negative Steam review is?

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

The game is pretty well set for a XCOM Apocalypse-ish mode. XCOM has control of a few Advent-topia zones, Advent has a few and the rest are contested. Defend and take back city zones preventing Advent's new nefarious plans. While cosmic horrors and elder gods come pouring through the rift from the ending. Final missions would send the Avenger through the rift.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Thyrork posted:

You carry on carrying on. You're doing glorious work.

Or:

These are both good choices. But beware the stove, for it burns no matter how cleverly you touch it or how long you ignore it.

Yeah, I avoid staring into the abyss.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I actually kind of dig the mission timers and usually I hate things that add extra pressure in games. It means you really have to do some scary, daring poo poo to get the job done. At one point the timer was ticking down, I had to eliminate all the enemies to finish up, and my team was positioned in such a way that I had to blow up a fuel tank on a train that was acting as cover for three sectoids in order to get a clean shot... along with one of my best soldiers. He survived the explosion with one bar of health and then mercifully had a panic attack and ran screaming across half the map to take cover inside a building.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

I got my base defense mission way early. As a result I had to throw most of my injured corporals/squaddies into the meat grinder to kill the beacon and get back before we were overrun. Turn before everyone should have been back in the evac zone one of my rookie sharpshooters that spent the whole time taking pot shots from squadsight was shot by a MEC and panicked running out of the evac zone into a ditch.

Guess who got left the gently caress behind for being weak.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Definetly not a mole!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
My hope is they get a good expansion out and some quality dlc because why not.

Then prequels? I'd love to play a regular Joe schmuck during the invasion fps style if it can be good. Like conventional forces vs sectopods and cyberdiscs.

Have him recruited by xcom in the middle or something. Give him cooler weapons.

I dunno it could be made to be good.