Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vasudus
May 30, 2003
You need to get on your voc rehab counselor's rear end, if they're the ones responsible for not submitting paperwork. Find out who their supervisor is, too.

Basically don't expect it to get fixed on its own, you need to track down whoever dropped the ball and make them pick it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Anyone have experience with 3-letter agency internships?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Justin Tyme posted:

Yeah, good loving luck getting one. If you do it's a golden ticket. Better to think of them as temp-to-hire.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Wanna know what a CIA intern does.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

App13 posted:

This might not be the right thread, but where should I go for BAH questions? I didn't receive any at the beginning of the month, and my vocrehab counselor said she forgot to file the paperwork. That was two weeks ago. My school said she called yesterday asking for them to send her the paperwork again. She hasn't answered any of my emails or calls this week. I honesty don't know what to do. If this doesn't get fixed by the first of the month I'll be sunk.

Google her name, find out who her supervisor is, spend an hour politely reaming that person's rear end.

Or if you really feel like being a dick, call your congressman. Because if she has not submitted your bah, she probably never paid the school either. So yeah, have fun when you get dropped.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

LITERALLY SHAKING posted:

Google her name, find out who her supervisor is, spend an hour politely reaming that person's rear end.

Or if you really feel like being a dick, call your congressman. Because if she has not submitted your bah, she probably never paid the school either. So yeah, have fun when you get dropped.

Remember when that happened to me? I do. :smith:

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Punch her in the face dude. Violence is the only answer.

NSA WIZARD
Jan 20, 2016

holocaust bloopers posted:

I CAN TELL YOU WHAT YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW

WHAT WE MAKE NSA INTERNS DO

Odradek
May 23, 2007

Don't hate me because I'm cute

Justin Tyme posted:

We've got a steady stream of interns at DIA. Since I'm down in Charlottesville, it's mostly UVA types.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH posted:

Remember when that happened to me? I do. :smith:

That was the school's veteran advisor that donkeyfucked your paperwork, wasn't it?

I know Voc rehab there is about as useful as a wet sponge, but that counselor actually does watch out for her folks.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Odradek posted:

We've got a steady stream of interns at DIA. Since I'm down in Charlottesville, it's mostly UVA types.
Apparently I missed the boat on applying one of those, or a Geospatial Intelligence Agency one. Those needed to be in by some time in October.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

NSA WIZARD posted:

I CAN TELL YOU WHAT YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW

WHAT WE MAKE NSA INTERNS DO

Is it paid or college credit only?

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

If the Recruit is to be believed, rails Republican chicks

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

They have (or at least used to have) an ROTC-ish program where you were given a scholarship for school and then did internships/training with them over the summer, culminating in a full-time position with them after graduation. Wish I'd known about that when I was 17.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

So a less retarded type of commission in an institution that's not backwards like the military? Weird

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

psydude posted:

Wish I'd known about that when I was 17.

No kidding

AllDogsGoodDogs
Dec 30, 2008
https://www.borenawards.org/

If you're studying language, this is your meal ticket into 3 letter work. I believe the applications were due already, but you want to prepare this app months in advance, if thinking for next year. This is also a good luck type of thing, most awardees are people who already have connections and referrals from the agencies. PM if you want more info, I'm currently abroad with it.

AllDogsGoodDogs fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Feb 22, 2016

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

JSARSOM posted:

https://www.borenawards.org/

If you're studying language, this is your meal ticket into 3 letter work. I believe the applications were due already, but you want to prepare this app months in advance, if thinking for next year. This is also a good luck type of thing, most awardees are people who already have connections and referrals from the agencies. PM if you want more info, I'm currently abroad with it.

Yeah they were due Feb 9th. It says you have to commit to a year of fed work after graduating. Also I can't stop seeing "boner awards" in that url.

AllDogsGoodDogs
Dec 30, 2008

Zeris posted:

Yeah they were due Feb 9th. It says you have to commit to a year of fed work after graduating. Also I can't stop seeing "boner awards" in that url.

You have a few years after graduating to fulfill. Schedule A into an agency, do good work, get converted to normal hire after the Schedule A period. For those unsure where they want to work, the resources are ridiculous. Agencies dive in and start grabbing up awardees.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Zeris posted:

Yeah but a year of work in the non-military world is like a half second, so that's not too bad at all.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
The Boren is legit. When I was in Tajikistan studying language, there were a handful of Boren selectees among us. They were some very smart cookies and several already had job placements for their payback tour.

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

Deathy McDeath posted:

The Boren is legit. When I was in Tajikistan studying language, there were a handful of Boren selectees among us. They were some very smart cookies and several already had job placements for their payback tour.

book smart or well-rounded smart?

SnarkyHipster
Feb 14, 2014
Anyone have any advice for a 28 year old enlisted Marine vet begining the MBA application process? I'm looking at applying to a top 20 or so program and I'm trying to see how I should frame my veteran (enlisted) status in the application, and which schools might throw me a bone. All of the veteran info/network for MBAs out there seems to be directed almost entirely towards the All-American WASPY Academy fighter pilot/ranger guys, and not so much the tattooed, inbred GED waiver door knob licker types. For example, I dropped by a veteran networking event at Harvard/MIT and the retired General hosting the event did the whole "all my academy guys raise their hands, all my ROTC guys raise their hands, etc. etc." and out of the 20+ people there, I was literally the only one who had to sit there with my hands in my lap; Everyone then looked at me like I was an alien when I had to explain I was enlisted.

I enlisted after high school, then went to undergrad, and have been doing software consulting for the last two years. My relatively young age and recent civilain experience almost seems to make me more of traditional MBA candidate compared to the officers and senior enlisted that seem to make up the majority of veterans in these programs, and only have Uncle Sam on their resume. Anyone been through the process or have some suggestions?

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

SnarkyHipster posted:

Anyone have any advice for a 28 year old enlisted Marine vet begining the MBA application process? I'm looking at applying to a top 20 or so program and I'm trying to see how I should frame my veteran (enlisted) status in the application, and which schools might throw me a bone. All of the veteran info/network for MBAs out there seems to be directed almost entirely towards the All-American WASPY Academy fighter pilot/ranger guys, and not so much the tattooed, inbred GED waiver door knob licker types. For example, I dropped by a veteran networking event at Harvard/MIT and the retired General hosting the event did the whole "all my academy guys raise their hands, all my ROTC guys raise their hands, etc. etc." and out of the 20+ people there, I was literally the only one who had to sit there with my hands in my lap; Everyone then looked at me like I was an alien when I had to explain I was enlisted.

I enlisted after high school, then went to undergrad, and have been doing software consulting for the last two years. My relatively young age and recent civilain experience almost seems to make me more of traditional MBA candidate compared to the officers and senior enlisted that seem to make up the majority of veterans in these programs, and only have Uncle Sam on their resume. Anyone been through the process or have some suggestions?

Was the advice they gave at that seminar not applicable to you? What separates you from them aside from the fact that when you were in the military you were enlisted and when they were in they were officers? If you have your undergrad degree then you're at commiserate educational levels so all that's really different is your job experience while in the military?

I think I remember some people talking about certain schools maybe setting aside slots for veteran applicants for graduate programs. I can't imagine they'd really differentiate between O and E though.

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

not trying to be a snarky bitch, but aren't MBAs (from good schools) aimed mainly at young managers aiming to be executives one day? (eg those circlejerking fuckwits who were raising their hands)

e: young in this context being late 20s-mid 30s types

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Dude McAwesome posted:

not trying to be a snarky bitch, but aren't MBAs (from good schools) aimed mainly at young managers aiming to be executives one day? (eg those circlejerking fuckwits who were raising their hands)

e: young in this context being late 20s-mid 30s types

Good school MBAs are also for:

anybody trying to get into a competitive consulting firm (management consulting, obvs) or any other competitive environment where having a graduate degree is necessary for starting at not-quite-lowest-level-but-still-a-cog level.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

SnarkyHipster posted:

Yeah the MBAs look officer-heavy, but not exclusive in that regard.
Some reading for you--
This is a popular media topic in:
Bloomberg
P&Q
Some more background info
Yet more reporting

More concrete resources:
Columbia's MBA claims itself as vet-friendly
You might find MBA application advice at Harvard's Armed Forces Alumni Association
More info on the above

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

SnarkyHipster posted:

Sign up for Service2School and get connected with one of their MBA ambassadors. http://service2school.org/groups/mba-ambassadors/
Most of the guys are former officers, but there are a handful of enlisted guys who could help you out.

SnarkyHipster
Feb 14, 2014

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Was the advice they gave at that seminar not applicable to you? What separates you from them aside from the fact that when you were in the military you were enlisted and when they were in they were officers? If you have your undergrad degree then you're at commiserate educational levels so all that's really different is your job experience while in the military?

I think I remember some people talking about certain schools maybe setting aside slots for veteran applicants for graduate programs. I can't imagine they'd really differentiate between O and E though.

I know MBA programs look for diversity and tend to (deliberately or not) break applicants into categories. All the people with banking backgrounds compete against each other, those with non-profit experience compete against each other etc. I'm sure veterans are considered in such a manner as well. It's not so much the education level as our military experience. My military experience occured between age 18 and 22 where as a grunt I was responsible mostly for myself or a small team of Marines. This might be compared to a 28 year Captain applying for an MBA who just finished a tour as a company commander with significantly more responsibility. On the flip side, I have more civilain work experience. Admissions committees (to my knowledge) really look at an applicants entire background and "story" as well as their raw numbers. I'm just looking at how to frame mine, as it's quite different from most veterans applying to these tob MBA programs.

I'm not in any kind of panic about this, just looking for any advice. There seem to be a lot of intelligent vets in this thread at some top schools giving out good advice.

SnarkyHipster
Feb 14, 2014

Deathy McDeath posted:

Sign up for Service2School and get connected with one of their MBA ambassadors. http://service2school.org/groups/mba-ambassadors/
Most of the guys are former officers, but there are a handful of enlisted guys who could help you out.

Zeris posted:

Yeah the MBAs look officer-heavy, but not exclusive in that regard.
Some reading for you--
This is a popular media topic in:
Bloomberg
P&Q
Some more background info
Yet more reporting

More concrete resources:
Columbia's MBA claims itself as vet-friendly
You might find MBA application advice at Harvard's Armed Forces Alumni Association
More info on the above

Thanks for the links guys.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

SnarkyHipster posted:

I know MBA programs look for diversity and tend to (deliberately or not) break applicants into categories. All the people with banking backgrounds compete against each other, those with non-profit experience compete against each other etc. I'm sure veterans are considered in such a manner as well. It's not so much the education level as our military experience. My military experience occured between age 18 and 22 where as a grunt I was responsible mostly for myself or a small team of Marines. This might be compared to a 28 year Captain applying for an MBA who just finished a tour as a company commander with significantly more responsibility. On the flip side, I have more civilain work experience. Admissions committees (to my knowledge) really look at an applicants entire background and "story" as well as their raw numbers. I'm just looking at how to frame mine, as it's quite different from most veterans applying to these tob MBA programs.

I'm not in any kind of panic about this, just looking for any advice. There seem to be a lot of intelligent vets in this thread at some top schools giving out good advice.

It sounds like you've found your angle: you've taken what you learned during your time in the military and used that to assist you in your civilian career. You're now looking to take that further and move into leadership roles in the private sector.

Frame it as a part of your overall work experience, not the only thing.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I've been applying to entry-level up to managerial positions. The people I know at agencies are telling me to go for those higher-up jobs because of my military experience. Any of you guys have any luck bypassing entry-level with mil experience and an undergrad?

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

I've been applying to entry-level up to managerial positions. The people I know at agencies are telling me to go for those higher-up jobs because of my military experience. Any of you guys have any luck bypassing entry-level with mil experience and an undergrad?

Kinda, but it was mostly nepotism that got me to where I am

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

You'll have a leg up on people with nothing, but still get beaten by those with more relevant experience.

Shotgun that poo poo out to your actual level + 1.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Vasudus posted:

You'll have a leg up on people with nothing, but still get beaten by those with more relevant experience.

Shotgun that poo poo out to your actual level + 1.

Thanks, Vas. :3:

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
According to my email, I've been accepted for the fall semester. Yaaay.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

McNally posted:

Congrats! May you enjoy all the butts.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

McNally posted:

Congrats! :toot:

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Young lady in one of my classes talked about how academic writing is elitist and exclusionary. Advocating for everyone writing in their own personal vernacular because that will make it inclusive (and retarded).

I guess maybe college is full of retards after all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
MLA formatting is offensive to my zyr sensibilities.

• Locked thread