Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Wrr posted:

They did an internal game jam to come up with the idea for survival mode?
A mode that existed in previous Fallout games and countless mods?
Howard didn't say that it was a brand new concept they never heard about before. They did the game jam, some dev submitted Survival Mode (maybe he was "inspired' by New Vegas or mods like FWE, who knows) and the people in charge like the concept enough to put development resources into it and patch it in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Also nu-survival will have some other features like disease different damage rates and apparently limited saves.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

SeanBeansShako posted:

Armorsmith isn't going to uniform an entire NPC faction though.

I support any more faction diversity mods (as long as you don't go too modern/away from the canon aesthetics) future Fallout modding goons.

You can do this in a few minutes in FO4Edit. Pick the new uniform you want, I'm guessing it's like an all-black flight suit instead of an orange one, then find the level list for all the random Brotherhood scribes and either add to it or make a new one to overwrite it. You could find a Nexus mod that does exactly this and use it for a guide.

e:

Bholder posted:

Also nu-survival will have some other features like disease different damage rates and apparently limited saves.

I like the mod combination I'm using now: Loot is severely limited, so I didn't even have bobby pins to pick the first few safes I came across, and ammo is so scarce it made more sense to use the bow and arrow mod with reusable ammo; and someone cleverly made food an drink items addictive, forcing you to stay fed. My first few hours were pretty hardscrabble.

Limited saves sounds like a pain in the dick unless it means limited in where you CAN save, which was a voluntary restriction I took in Call of Chernobyl that increased the die-anytime tension nicely.

Saint Sputnik fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Feb 23, 2016

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

SeanBeansShako posted:

Am I the only one who wants a classic Brotherhood faction mod?

I mean, I kind of dig the field uniform for the scribes but I am not a fan of the weird orange recon suit overalls thing now.

I replace every shred of orange on that faction with red. Why ORANGE, BOS?!

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

I'm itching for some new weapons, there are some on the nexus but I'm wondering if they're okay to use? The description on millenias scratchmade shotgun retexture says they're waiting for the mod tools to be able to put weapons in, do I run the risk of things breaking if I use any of the weapons others have put up?

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Wow still no GECK? When that poo poo coming out? I've been putting off playing a second play through until we get more mods.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Bottom of last page dude.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Wrr posted:

They did an internal game jam to come up with the idea for survival mode?

A mode that existed in previous Fallout games and countless mods?

To add on to what Raygereio said, they do these game jams all the time apparently. There was some pretty cool poo poo in the Skyrim one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGIgXeGC6Dg

e: I can't seem to find a non-lovely version of this video that isn't just the entire 45-minute keynote speech so whatever enjoy

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
Updated the op with some new tools, check the thread updates section for details.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Raygereio posted:

Howard didn't say that it was a brand new concept they never heard about before. They did the game jam, some dev submitted Survival Mode (maybe he was "inspired' by New Vegas or mods like FWE, who knows) and the people in charge like the concept enough to put development resources into it and patch it in.

I guess I should stop being so salty. At least it's free DLC and not a patch! Hopefully they do a really, really good job on it, better than any modder can or deeply integrate it into the code or something. While I did spend a ton of time with the settlement building, it never really felt like "This is something only Bethesda could implement", and that was disappointing.

Saint Sputnik posted:

Limited saves sounds like a pain in the dick unless it means limited in where you CAN save, which was a voluntary restriction I took in Call of Chernobyl that increased the die-anytime tension nicely.

This would make survival mode make a ton more sense! I would love this version of limited saves. Saves are restricted outside of Diamond City, Faction HQs, and your settlements. It would fit nicely into the preexisting gameplay loop of dungeon running & settlement building, make expanding the player settlement area more meaningful, and add a ton of weight to long, extended exploration.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
No matter what anyone says every time bethesda adds to the game, increasing the possibilities its good for the community, it will just allow for more options for modding. Official work will always be good for the mods, especially when they add new systems, like robot pokemon with custom components. a mod could probably do something similar, but it wouldn't be core mechanics, it would be tacked on.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

LumberingTroll posted:

No matter what anyone says every time bethesda adds to the game, increasing the possibilities its good for the community, it will just allow for more options for modding. Official work will always be good for the mods, especially when they add new systems, like robot pokemon with custom components. a mod could probably do something similar, but it wouldn't be core mechanics, it would be tacked on.

This forever and ever. Bethesda's survival mode will be lacking in some way and mods will be able to hook into whatever poo poo they put in and improve on it. Likewise settlement building is going to get real good because it's integrated in the base game, modders can spend more time refining out rather than making a mountain of scripts to do even basic poo poo.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

KakerMix posted:

This forever and ever. Bethesda's survival mode will be lacking in some way and mods will be able to hook into whatever poo poo they put in and improve on it. Likewise settlement building is going to get real good because it's integrated in the base game, modders can spend more time refining out rather than making a mountain of scripts to do even basic poo poo.

Or making 7 different versions of the same mechanic filled to the complete loving brim with feature creeps

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I want someone to add an NCR or Legion advance scouting force to the Commonwealth so they can show the bumpkins what a real postwar civilization looks like.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Magmarashi posted:

Or making 7 different versions of the same mechanic filled to the complete loving brim with feature creeps

And creepy features!!

Arcsquad12 posted:

I want someone to add an NCR or Legion advance scouting force to the Commonwealth so they can show the bumpkins what a real postwar civilization looks like.

The bumpkins tend to generate massive concrete forts covered in missile turrets, I think they'd be just fine against dudes with lever action rifles and spears.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

shovelbum posted:

And creepy features!!

The bumpkins tend to generate massive concrete forts covered in missile turrets, I think they'd be just fine against dudes with lever action rifles and spears.

Nobody said the NCR or Legion were smart. New Vegas is proof enough of that.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Isn't 4 post NV? Which would mean the legion is more than likely gone. Caesar at least is dead.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Nasgate posted:

Isn't 4 post NV? Which would mean the legion is more than likely gone. Caesar at least is dead.

Didn't you hear? Canonically, according to Bethesda, the Courier kills Mr. House, but that meant the nuclear missile he was holding suspended in the air with the power of CHIM advanced technology slammed into New Vegas, reducing it to a crater.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Saint Sputnik posted:

Didn't you hear? Canonically, according to Bethesda, the Courier kills Mr. House, but that meant the nuclear missile he was holding suspended in the air with the power of CHIM advanced technology slammed into New Vegas, reducing it to a crater.

You go looking for your son and instead of the Institute boss he has become Vivec.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Saint Sputnik posted:

This is a joke, right?

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Saint Sputnik posted:

That's loving bullshit.
Never kill House.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Woebin posted:

This is a joke, right?

It's what happened to Morrowind after Vivec decided that this plane of existence was getting pretty lovely and hosed off to who knows where/when/why.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Babe Magnet posted:

It's what happened to Morrowind after Vivec decided that this plane of existence was getting pretty lovely and hosed off to who knows where/when/why.
Oh yeah, I know the Morrowind thing. I guess I wasn't sure if Bethesda pulled the same thing with Vegas or if it was a joke, hence my question.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Woebin posted:

Oh yeah, I know the Morrowind thing. I guess I wasn't sure if Bethesda pulled the same thing with Vegas or if it was a joke, hence my question.

Of course it's a joke. Everyone knows Ulysses was the one with access to CHIM.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Brainamp posted:

Of course it's a joke. Everyone knows Ulysses was the one with access to CHIM.

Makes an insane amount of sense actually.

The Thirty-Six Lessons of Ulysses: Sermon One posted:

He was born in the ash among the Twisted Hairs, anon Arizoners, before the war with the historical reenactment nerds...

Cirosan
Jan 3, 2012

Full Dialogue Interface has been updated with a version compatible with the Beta 1.4 patch available through Steam. Obviously, you shouldn't use it if you're not using the Beta 1.4 patch. For further information, check my stickied post at the top of the mod's comments page.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Now the GECK is confirmed, if any goon is serious about doing faction appearince and diversity mods hit me up for the Minutemen, I got quite a bit of image resources covering the American Revolution to the War of 1812. I can send you some image stuff for inspiration.

Also, Laser Blunderbus and crank Pistols would rule.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

LumberingTroll posted:

I wonder how long it will take for someone to make a mod for the dlc where you build custom sexbots. I'm sure loverslab has a thread about it already

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

Kainser posted:

I wonder how long it will take for someone to make a mod for the dlc where you build custom sexbots. I'm sure loverslab has a thread about it already

Custom? we already have Mr and Miss Handy. capable of satisfying 3 at once. even supply's us with water based lube. but be careful not to get burned by that jet.

while we are on the subject, ok, not thaty subject specifically, but this: they copied curie to a synth body, yeah, but the original curie just went plonk, for no real reason. Why? they just copied the data across.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

staberind posted:

Custom? we already have Mr and Miss Handy. capable of satisfying 3 at once. even supply's us with water based lube. but be careful not to get burned by that jet.

while we are on the subject, ok, not thaty subject specifically, but this: they copied curie to a synth body, yeah, but the original curie just went plonk, for no real reason. Why? they just copied the data across.

Because Fallout 4 isn't very developed or well thought out when it comes to the whole synth thing, either ethically, politically or scientifically, so don't think about it too much.
Based on how the dialog is I'm guessing that curie being put into a normal body was added late in the game's development.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

staberind posted:

Doctor Amari or Curie herself probably just turned it off when they swapped over.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Saint Sputnik posted:

Turns out this is exactly how it works and you can only save by sleeping, nice.

http://www.thevaulttecinc.com/2016/02/fallout-4-survival-mode-full-overview.html

quote:

Saving
Manual and quicksaving are disabled. To save your game, you'll need to find a bed and sleep for at least an hour.

Combat
Combat is more lethal for everyone. You now deal, but also take, more damage. You can increase the damage you deal even further with "Adrenaline" (see below).

Fast Travel
Fast Travel is disabled. If you wish to be somewhere, you'll have to physically travel there.

Weighted Ammo
Bullets and shells now all have a small amount of weight, which varies by caliber. Heavier items such as fusion cores, rockets, and mini-nukes can really drag you down.

Compass
Be sure to keep your eyes peeled, as enemies will no longer appear on your compass. As well, the distance at which locations of interest will appear has been significantly shortened.

And much more. The only small disappointment is that you still only need stimpacks to heal crippled limbs, no doctor bags like in NV.

Saint Sputnik fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Feb 25, 2016

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:
I like those changes to survival but am going to really look forward to an immersive fast travel mod like a brahmin train or something.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Survival Mode sounds great, and I imagine that stuff like doctor bags and fast travel services will be added in mods.

It'd be great if you could build fast travel posts in settlements and get brahmin trains to show up.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
I added a bunch of mods to the op, only about 1/4 of the ones on my list to add, so more coming soon.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

WAY TO GO WAMPA!! posted:

I like those changes to survival but am going to really look forward to an immersive fast travel mod like a brahmin train or something.

Alternately, mod the jet-jump in power armor to last a bit longer, so you can jump from the castle to spectacle island. after that, you only need to fast travel for the institute, I suppose that could be limited to either the institute and one spot on the map. there is also a spawnable bubble car, have never tried it, but it seems to work, a brahmin train sounds like the most straightforward, perhaps from settlement to settlement, if you have put down a feeding trough.
Some boats would be nice as well.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
I don't know why but I can't get the Homemaker Expanded Settlements mod to work. I install it, and every time I load up the game, it just crashes to the desktop. I just want to have houses that don't look like poo poo... :(

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Waffleopolis posted:

I don't know why but I can't get the Homemaker Expanded Settlements mod to work. I install it, and every time I load up the game, it just crashes to the desktop. I just want to have houses that don't look like poo poo... :(

sounds like a missing master. run f04edit and see what the error tells you. I guarantee you that you just need to reorder your plugin order.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Why would I use brahmin for fast travel when I have captured deathclaws?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Nasgate posted:

Why would I use brahmin for fast travel when I have captured deathclaws?

Brahmin probably take it less personally when you whip them like a rented mule

• Locked thread