Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Pyronic posted:

Well, they were like actually immortal before werent' they?

THE MOON WAS EMRAKUL ALL ALONG.

They used to be ageless at a minimum and have far greater powers (they died all the time, so they certainly weren't immortal). It was retconned for story reasons, of course - they wanted to put Planeswalkers on cards and "unaging gods" was probably a bit much.

It also seemed to be a lot easier for non-Planeswalkers to move from plane to plane before the Mending thing, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

It's okay, they'll set Emrakul on fire too, then they'll set Nicol Bolas on fire, and then they'll set all of New Phyrexia on fire.

Turns out you can solve any problem by setting it on fire.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Man how would they even do the guild model with a two-set block

edit:

Jaya Ballard posted:

Turns out you can solve any problem by setting it on fire.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Pyronic posted:

Well, they were like actually immortal before werent' they?

Yeah, pre-mending planeswalker's were just immortal. Their body was really just an extension of their will and could be any age they wanted.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Structural Distortion seems like a pretty big hint.

Distortion is Kozilek's thing and that card is clearly Nahiri loving poo poo up

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

dragon enthusiast posted:

Man how would they even do the guild model with a two-set block

edit:

pretty easily since 10 guilds splits into 5 each set

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
I kind of wish I had been around for the Urza's Saga lore. I recall when he, Taysir, and Daria et al were invading Phyrexia with Giant Robots that they had collapsed planes to use as bombs built into the mechsuits. Then Urza had a twenty minute conversation with Yawgmoth and then decided to abandon the obsession of his entire life to kill Yawgmoth and destroy Phyrexia and instead joined him.

I think he then tried to detonate the bombs inside the mechsuits but Taysir managed to disarm all of them except his.

Yawgmoth is/was a pretty interesting character. Utterly covetous of the planeswalker spark that he could never have, but in the end so much more powerful than any old-walker(Funny story, supposedly Yawgmoth had so much black mana in his being that his mere entry into another plane would irrevocably poison it.) A character defined by irony is pretty basic, but you don't see any of that in the new Power Rangers.

By the way, do the New Phyrexians actually know about Yawgmoth, or do they still view Karn as their creator?

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Feb 24, 2016

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Structural Distortion seems like a pretty big hint.

My favorite Structural Distortion song is I Was Wrong. Mike Ness Jace is gonna be the best Jace yet

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

mandatory lesbian posted:

pretty easily since 10 guilds splits into 5 each set

Okay, but would you then have two "big" sets then? How would you draft something like that

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

A big flaming stink posted:

Didn't get theorized that just like the broods could be considered as individual cells from the Titan's projection on the plane, the Eldrazi Titans themselves could be cells of one overarching being?

edit: All the hate for the story on the cards aside, it was an unbelievable fuckup not to have Elspeth's death featured on a card, or referenced in any way, shape, or form until the set after theros block. Also that Taigam never got a loving card.

e2: Hah! I just got the callback of Ajani Steadfast to Ajani Vengeant. Now that's a cool way to show character growth.

Yeah, that's a possibility that hasn't been technically ruled out yet, but the fact is that so far every time they've had a choice with the [new] Eldrazi storyline, they've taken the fork in the road towards Dumbtown. I guess there are only two real data points so far in this particular sequence (The Titans aren't actually dead -> Yes they are; There's a definite consequence to killing them this way -> No there isn't), but the rest of recent history doesn't offer much more hope.

It's funny that you mention Elspeth's death, but the cards' involvement notwithstanding that was actually an anomalistic bright spot (so to speak) in the recent storyline. Just a shame Elspeth had to be the one who died, but I'll take a sympathetic character who has to die to show their tragic flaws over being smugged at repeatedly by the stand-in for a particularly annoying sort of reader.

e: I guess there's actually at least three dumb decisions so far, because "hey let's wrap this all up in one small set instead of letting it breathe" was the first one

JerryLee fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Feb 24, 2016

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Madmarker posted:

Yeah, pre-mending planeswalker's were just immortal. Their body was really just an extension of their will and could be any age they wanted.

Never mind that Urza was actually two rocks that held Glacian's Spark but somehow Urza the artificer's will/personality.

Angry Grimace posted:

It also seemed to be a lot easier for non-Planeswalkers to move from plane to plane before the Mending thing, too.

From what I can tell special ships / devices / portals were needed in each case.

I kind of wish I had been around for the Urza's Saga lore. I recall when he, Taysir, and Daria et al were invading Phyrexia with Giant Robots that they had collapsed planes to use as bombs built into the mechsuits. Then Urza had a twenty minute conversation with Yawgmoth and then decided to abandon the obsession of his entire life to kill Yawgmoth and destroy Phyrexia and instead joined him.

I think he then tried to detonate the bombs inside the mechsuits but Taysir managed to disarm all of them except his.

Yawgmoth is/was a pretty interesting character. Utterly covetous of the planeswalker spark that he could never have, but in the end so much more powerful than any old-walker(Funny story, supposedly Yawgmoth had so much black mana in his being that his mere entry into another plane would irrevocably poison it.) A character defined by irony is pretty basic, but you don't see any of that in the new Power Rangers.

By the way, do the New Phyrexians actually know about Yawgmoth, or do they still view Karn as their creator?

Is this some planar chaos version of invasion block that you're citing because I'm pretty sure the bombs did go off after Tevesh Szat killed two of the other planeswalkers and Urza was like ok you're the bomb now.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Feb 24, 2016

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Okay, but would you then have two "big" sets then? How would you draft something like that

it would probably be two large sets and you draft them separate, thats what they've done in the past

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

it would probably be two large sets and you draft them separate, thats what they've done in the past

They only did that because the assumption was that you'd draft all three in DGM. Kinda have a hard time believing they'd make what is essentially two single-set blocks that have no cross-pollination between the two asides from flavor

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

JerryLee posted:

It's funny that you mention Elspeth's death, but the cards' involvement notwithstanding that was actually an anomalistic bright spot (so to speak) in the recent storyline. Just a shame Elspeth had to be the one who died, but I'll take a sympathetic character who has to die to show their tragic flaws over being smugged at repeatedly by the stand-in for a particularly annoying sort of reader.

Oh yeah, the entire manner of Elspeth's death and the details surrounding it fit the Greek downfall of the hero to a T. It also tied into her experiences in NPH where she was forcibly ejected from the plane by Koth IIRC. I'm not actually sure if it was ever mentioned in the plotline, but that sort of thing could lead to a serious survivor guilt complex.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

They only did that because the assumption was that you'd draft all three in DGM. Kinda have a hard time believing they'd make what is essentially two single-set blocks that have no cross-pollination between the two asides from flavor

So GGR then, I don't see why that wouldn't work

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Why would that be necessarily no cross-pollination?

RGD had a 4/3/3 guild structure and 3 color support for drafting 3 guilds. Bloodthirst worked very well with Graft in RUG while the UWx color combos worked well on being spread out on three different sets with powerful white and blue cards

Zoness fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Feb 24, 2016

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Oh yeah, the entire manner of Elspeth's death and the details surrounding it fit the Greek downfall of the hero to a T. It also tied into her experiences in NPH where she was forcibly ejected from the plane by Koth IIRC. I'm not actually sure if it was ever mentioned in the plotline, but that sort of thing could lead to a serious survivor guilt complex.

Yeah, that's the other thing I was just thinking, it fits in perfectly with the theme of Greek tragedy and the capriciousness/jealousy of the gods.

Theros block was really a bright spot in a lot of ways, especially compared to what's come more recently.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Zoness posted:

Never mind that Urza was actually two rocks that held Glacian's Spark but somehow Urza the artificer's will/personality.

From what I can tell special ships / devices / portals were needed in each case.

Is this some planar chaos version of invasion block that you're citing because I'm pretty sure the bombs did go off after Tevesh Szat killed two of the other planeswalkers and Urza was like ok you're the bomb now.

working off extreme recollection, and I'll be damned if I can figure out where to actually look up this stuff.

e: more classic lore question, who's spark is it the Karn has, well started with since he has Venser's (rip in peace) now. Was it Urza's or the Glacian's?

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

working off extreme recollection, and I'll be damned if I can figure out where to actually look up this stuff.

e: more classic lore question, who's spark is it the Karn has, well started with since he has Venser's (rip in peace) now. Was it Urza's or the Glacian's?

Glacians Spark went into the Thran stones that were recovered by Urza and Mishra which then acted as Urza's Spark when he blew up a magical nuke and somehow it jammed the stones into his head and then when Karn got the stones to complete the legacy they became his spark.

It's fuckin stupid.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Feb 24, 2016

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

This is how they did Return to Ravnica and Gatecrash - I assume they'd just make it 111 and 222. But really, just doing it 221 for the second wouldn't be a big deal, I think.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Feb 24, 2016

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Zoness posted:

Glacians Spark went into the Thran stones that were recovered by Urza and Mishra which then acted as Urza's Spark when he blew up a magical nuke and somehow it jammed the stones into his head and then when Karn got the stones to complete the legacy they became his spark.

It's fuckin stupid.

I'm ok with Karn being inebriated, but Karn being stoned all the time?

Ducking unacceptable.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Zoness posted:

It's fuckin stupid.

okay but how do the Mechas fit into this

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Urza built nine giant robots to invade Phyrexia with. He also brought along Tevesh Szat, a known villain that everyone knew would backstab them, including Urza. He did this because he needed an excuse to kill a planeswalker to power his superweapon.

e: pics of the Mecha in question

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Feb 24, 2016

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Look the planeswalkers clearly had the attitude and there were at least 5 of them

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Zoness posted:

Why would that be necessarily no cross-pollination?

RGD had a 4/3/3 guild structure and 3 color support for drafting 3 guilds. Bloodthirst worked very well with Graft in RUG while the UWx color combos worked well on being spread out on three different sets with powerful white and blue cards
There's no cross pollination because you never draft the sets together

Angry Grimace posted:

This is how they did Return to Ravnica and Gatecrash - I assume they'd just make it 111 and 222. But really, just doing it 221 for the second wouldn't be a big deal, I think.

Half of the guilds ergo half of the color pairs would be represented twice as much as the other three in draft. Maybe they'd fill the set that gets two packs with a bunch of non-aligned stuff and play up the Guildless subplot from RTR?

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Maro has said they wouldn't feel beholden to make the next Ravnica set about a mechanic for each guild.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Urza built nine giant robots to invade Phyrexia with. He also brought along Tevesh Szat, a known villain that everyone knew would backstab them, including Urza. He did this because he needed an excuse to kill a planeswalker to power his superweapon.

wow Urza's kind of a dick

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Half of the guilds ergo half of the color pairs would be represented twice as much as the other three in draft. Maybe they'd fill the set that gets two packs with a bunch of non-aligned stuff and play up the Guildless subplot from RTR?

Or they could not do strict color-pair identities again.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

That is kind of Urza's thing. Imagine a vengeance obsessed autist with superpowers and a love of gadgets.

Basically, he's Wizard Batman with less morals.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Angry Grimace posted:

Uncharted Realms: Magic Story

Actual story:

* Gideon wanders around the Ally Encampment going for his new custom: a morning jog without his armor (I swear I am not making this up). He shirtlessly ruminates upon all that happened and is like "gently caress yeah we rule." Tazri catches up to him and is like "good job Gideon" and they run together for a while. Tazri's like "with all the people leaving, we're gonna be alone here in a couple of days." Gideon is too dense to get that she's saying she wants to gently caress, so he's like "yeah I bet haha" and then Tazri's all sad because Gideon's planning to bounce.

* Chandra's sitting on an uncomfortable chair (they tell you this about a billion times). She's using her pyromancy powers to heat up soup and survey her fellow Planeswalkers. She's hot for Gideon (but she always was) and she's already bosom buddies with Nissa, but Jace is straight up staring off into the distance brooding because he's Jace. They keep going around this chair thing a lot and it turns out to be Ulamog's skull and it turns out that Chandra's paralyzed (temporarily) for using all the world's power to fuel the spell that killed Kozilek and Ulamog.

* Jace is brooding about poo poo and he straight up starts bemoaning the fact that he's a charisma black hole which isn't nearly as cool as Gideon. This happens.

* Ugin shows up and he's a huge dick. He gets mad at Jace and listens to the Gatewatch explain all the poo poo that happened, but Ugin isn't having it and he's mad because he wanted to study the Eldrazi and discover their purpose. He didn't actually have an idea something bad would happen if you killed them; he was literally just making that poo poo up. Jace is like "tell me what you know" but Ugin is a dick and refuses and tells Jace he sucks. Jace lists the remaining threats for the gatewatch: Nicol Bolas, Emrakul (who Ugin confirms left the plane entirely), Ob Nixilis and finding Sorin for whatever reason. Jace confirms he is heading for Innistrad to find Sorin.

* Nissa wanders around the glyph marvelling at how awesome she is and thinking about trees and poo poo. Chandra walks up with her Ulamog's Skull Cane and they have a Girlz Moment where Nissa's like "but I cannot possibly leave Zendikar" and Chandra goes "well you don't have to" but then gives the Uncle Ben speech about power and responsibility and Nissa instantly changes her mind because it would be too hard for her to leave her friend Chandra behind, despite the fact she met Chandra 2 chapters ago.

I hope the eldrazi were some fundamental force of the multiverse that needs to exist and killing them fucks up everything.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
Please format all lore-chat using italics so that I can ignore it along with flavor text

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Ugin is the only character in the story who i have any kind of sympathy for

I, too, associate most closely with a genius surrounded by morons.

Also I'm a Dragonkin.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

suicidesteve posted:

I, too, associate most closely with a genius surrounded by morons.

Also I'm a Dragonkin.

Counterpoint: A reasonable adult surrounded by screaming teenagers. Much like my LGS on EDH night

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Ciprian Maricon posted:

Why do they write this stuff? I've never met a single person who likes Jace or cares about any of this poo poo.

Don't pay attention to Magic-related Tumblr, for the most part. It's disgustingly twee at times. "NEW UNCHARTED REALMS OMG MY FAVOURITE CHARACTER IS THERE AND MY OTP".

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

e2: Hah! I just got the callback of Ajani Steadfast to Ajani Vengeant. Now that's a cool way to show character growth.

I don't get it

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

well first of all Ulamog is indestructible and so you can't kill him with fire, only -X/-X effects and exile. secondly

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

there's no kind of about urza's dickery

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

In a few years there's going to be a noticeable portion of Magic: The Gathering fans who pretty much have never played the game before and simply care about the writing/movies/comics/etc., and make fun of people who let game rules/card sets shape their understanding of the franchise's lore.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Zoness posted:

Yeah, they had the Weatherlight and there was also a portal to Phyrexia in the Caves of Koilos as well as whatever the gently caress they did to overlay Rath. I think I read on Maro's blog (it might have been Doug Beyer's) they mostly closed off the concept of moving from plane to plane without a Planeswalker spark around the time they decided to start featuring new Planes every block and move away from the Dominaria thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
If they do another Ravnica block in the 2-set blocks they could do it like Lorwyn/Shadowmoor. 5 Guilds in a large set, the other 5 in another large set as the first block, drafted separately. Then the next block is like DGM if it were a large/small block (and also good :v:) with all 10 guilds.

• Locked thread