Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Did you do any notable gold or gem transactions of some sort, like get gold gifted by someone? Could get a new account flagged as a kind of a money laundering account.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Attestant posted:

Did you do any notable gold or gem transactions of some sort, like get gold gifted by someone? Could get a new account flagged as a kind of a money laundering account.

I'm sure it could be. False positives for this kind of thing are pretty low so I wonder what happened.

Cpl Clegg
May 18, 2008

No mobile auth, but also no gold transactions, no smacktalking in local, no shitposting on forums, just plain solo leveling from level 1. I wouldn't bitch about it if I thought that it might've been triggered by some of my own actions. Anyway, no point in guessing, they will tell that themselves as soon as they see that ticket. I think.

It's not a big deal really, just fun-breaking. Actually I did expect something fun-breaking from ANet like grind, enforced PvP, gating or dull encounters or story. Probably it's a new innovative way of screwing players that they've created just for that expansion ? :confused:

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

No mobile auth plus that suspension message almost certainly means your account is compromised. Also possibly your email

Go in and change all the passwords, and turn on auth. If you don't do the former support won't entertain your request when it comes to your turn anyway

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Please use two-factor on your email too, whether it's something like Google Authenticator or just a text message.

Cpl Clegg
May 18, 2008

Certainly won't hurt to check...okay, checked and nope, no new logins from strange places, account is still there and nothing suspicious is going on.

Turned auth on anyway, just in case.

Cpl Clegg fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Feb 24, 2016

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.
Was your character named some variant of 'Dgsfgdgsfdf'? That could easily throw up a false positive.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Well I just spent an hour trying to organize TD but it failed because nobody wants to tag up or taxi untill the event is already half over. Great. Next time I'll save the effort and just jump in on other peoples organizing efforts I guess!

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

TD remains one of the most aggravating meta events because it has little room for error

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

Johnny Joestar posted:

TD remains one of the most aggravating meta events because it has little room for error

I feel like of all the meta's this one is the cruelest, most new players to the area have no idea how easy it is to screw the entire thing up by actually being helpful and killing the thing you're seemingly supposed to kill. When I did that map the first time and everyone is yelling at us to stop I had no idea what the hell (I did stop, and it succeeded by like 4 seconds because once you're on that 2min countdown any tiny fuckup is a killer and our route had like hardly anyone left alive on it by the end hitting that loving thing with everything we had). I feel like it needs to ditch the 2min mechanic if all the streams are, say, only 1/4 left to go.

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!

Tambaloneus posted:

I feel like of all the meta's this one is the cruelest, most new players to the area have no idea how easy it is to screw the entire thing up by actually being helpful and killing the thing you're seemingly supposed to kill. When I did that map the first time and everyone is yelling at us to stop I had no idea what the hell (I did stop, and it succeeded by like 4 seconds because once you're on that 2min countdown any tiny fuckup is a killer and our route had like hardly anyone left alive on it by the end hitting that loving thing with everything we had). I feel like it needs to ditch the 2min mechanic if all the streams are, say, only 1/4 left to go.

how did gw2 get like this. jfc.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

the best thing i ever did in that event was slowing down dps on the boss because i wanted event credit for the stuff after him

we ended up failing

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I bumbled into a TD meta while hunting for heroics and it was the most insane thing I'd ever seen in terms of organization.

Rewards didn't seem worth it for all that effort.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Erdricks posted:

to be fair, it's probably the only event that's like that. even the octovine was pretty well figured out

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003

Erdricks posted:

It isn't like that that at all. For the meta you target boss and kill boss.

Edit: VVV and for octovine, you just zerg counterclockwise around starting at east. None of the events have difficult mechanics. Depending on the side, you throw bombs while gliding, push bombs into him with knockback skills, turn into mushrooms and explode on him, or shoot him with rockets.

Xenix fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Feb 25, 2016

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

Johnny Joestar posted:

to be fair, it's probably the only event that's like that. even the octovine was pretty well figured out

oh wait Im a retard octovine was the one I meant... never seen the rest, not got the right skills levelled yet haha... so where the hell is octovine.... is that ab? yeesh someone stomp on my head... wait so the next map I get to is even crueler? what's the bad mechanic there?

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Tambaloneus posted:

oh wait Im a retard octovine was the one I meant... never seen the rest, not got the right skills levelled yet haha... so where the hell is octovine.... is that ab? yeesh someone stomp on my head... wait so the next map I get to is even crueler? what's the bad mechanic there?

Tangled Depths is roughly divided into 4 lanes. The meta spawns a boss, Chak Gerent, in each lane (each lane has it's own gimmick you have to deal with in between phases of wearing down Gerent). If one lane fails to kill their Gerent (it's timed), or fails the lane gimmick, the whole meta fails.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
If missing a TD lane gimmick meant you missed a burn phase instead of instant loss, it'd be a lot better.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yeah, octovine is a hell of a lot easier to actually manage in comparison because all you need is warm bodies in each quadrant and have some of them hold off while the others burn their vine some more.

in the gerent event you're kinda always playing with fire and at any moment a big message on the screen will say THE ___ LANE HAS FAILED TO MAKE THEIR GERENT APPEAR which means you're hosed

e: it's notably poo poo because even the dragon's stand meta is way more manageable and the entire loving map is focused around it.

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003

Magres posted:

If missing a TD lane gimmick meant you missed a burn phase instead of instant loss, it'd be a lot better.

Currently, TD requires that half to two-thirds of each lane not be afk for the non-burn portions of the event. I think that it's acceptable for the game to require you participate in a 10 minute event if you want to win and get credit. Now, if we were talking about the old chak gerent...

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Xenix posted:

Currently, TD requires that half to two-thirds of each lane not be afk for the non-burn portions of the event. I think that it's acceptable for the game to require you participate in a 10 minute event if you want to win and get credit. Now, if we were talking about the old chak gerent...

I've had Nuhoch fail because not enough people pulled off a burn in time, and I didn't see anyone afk :shrug:

That said, I know what you're saying. I'm generally one of the people tagging up and leading lanes and half the time getting people to do anything more than afk for rewards is like pulling teeth, good lord.

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003
The problem with the DPS phase failing is two-fold. The first is people think that not participating in the unburrowing mechanic is ok. If you don't push each lane to tier 5 (except for SCAR, which will reach it automatically), the lane's damage is going to be lower than it should be because you lack the capped Angry & Vulnerable debuff (ogre), number of beetles (nuhoch), or additional damage from the golen (novus). The second is that people don't understand their class or basic combat mechanics. With few exceptions, classes do significantly more damage in melee than from range. When I see lanes fail due to lack of dps, it's because two of the 20 people in lane are meleeing and the rest are camping longbow/rifle/guardstaff. I've been in lanes that have gotten him to 15% health remaining in the first burn phase. I suspect he can be killed there.

I'll amend what I said before: I think that it's acceptable for the game to require you to actively participate in a 10 minute event and to require a basic understanding of your class and combat mechanics.

Fuzzy Butt
Jan 8, 2009

(not a furry)
Looks like SFD's Big Dick Arus has gone on a little walkabout

I do hope he's okay! :ohdear:

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.

Xenix posted:

I'll amend what I said before: I think that it's acceptable for the game to require you to actively participate in a 10 minute event and to require a basic understanding of your class and combat mechanics.

It's fine, but having to hope that you get in a map where all the Turbo Nerds and Casual Game Enjoyers have spread themselves out evenly despite having turned off mapchat, and then not get hosed up by mushrooms and fail the whole thing and have to come back in 2 hours isn't the best.

If there's any good example that the TD meta didn't get much testing feedback, it's that the nuhoch lane event originally scaled up in such a way that it became literally impossible to complete, on top of being the most annoying of the four, compared to 'aoe some eggs' and 'try not to distract the cats'. Likewise the Octovine south lane is a loving hassle next to the others, on top of trying to coordinate burns across a map being a bit unwelcome in zerg content.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Current TD is no harder than Tequatl if the majority of your map isn't afk.

Wanting people to actually play events to get event rewards isn't exactly hard gated content.

Magres fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Feb 25, 2016

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Magres posted:

Idk if this is true, and I never will because pre-nerf it was basically the opposite of fun and killed any desire I had to do it again after getting the mistward thingy.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Even a half-assed map organising five minutes before spawn has an excellent chance of killing it nowadays

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Kessel posted:

Even a half-assed map organising five minutes before spawn has an excellent chance of killing it nowadays

This. Same for TT, same for Teq. I haven't seen it fail recently and I've farmed enough of those crystals to get all but 2 specialization weapons.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

ItBurns posted:

This. Same for TT, same for Teq. I haven't seen it fail recently and I've farmed enough of those crystals to get all but 2 specialization weapons.

Wait, Triple Trouble is as easy as Teq now? drat I got a boatload of Mastery Points I need to scoop up. The one time I tried recently a bunch of people were standing around the Waypoint before declaring the attempt dead before it started.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
Unrelated, when we gonna get another LA election? That was a fun lighthearted event.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Based on the last one, someone's gotta off one of the current members of the captains council first.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

AnacondaHL posted:

Wait, Triple Trouble is as easy as Teq now? drat I got a boatload of Mastery Points I need to scoop up. The one time I tried recently a bunch of people were standing around the Waypoint before declaring the attempt dead before it started.

People do it every day at specific times, or so it seems. I don't know any of the fights/mechanics to judge how good the groups are but they're usually successful. I pretty much just check GWTimer.com and queue up for whatever is happening if I can't be attentive enough to do fractals/raids.

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

If you ever see EVOS advertising in lfg for TT loving take it, it's your best chance. All the other maps I go through end with failure and people patting each other on the back for a 'nice try'.

As for HoT metas in general success rates are usually great as long as you look specifically for organized maps to taxi into, preferably at a good amount of time before the event actually starts based on the bi-hourly schedule (check dulfy). I wish it was something more laid back but they've set everything up so that there's scheduling involved and a moderate time commitment. You can't be surprised at zoning into a failing octovine with uncommitted people while everyone else has their instances locked down and filled well in advance. If you are in an organized instance that failed it's likely because you didn't taxi enough people in time.

check out my Youtube
May 26, 2006

Satan's on my side
and you wanna brawl?
When the Devil comes
you better heed his Quall

Magres posted:

Wanting people to actually play events to get event rewards isn't exactly hard gated content.

On the other hand, if one mortar isn't removing scales the other mortars can still prevent the bone wall from going up. If enough mortars stop and the bone wall does go up that doesn't automatically mean loss because there is enough time to recover. Same deal if one of the batteries or megalaser fails their defense phase.

If anyone messes up any stage of Gerent at any point every single person loses and the last two hours of the map were more or less a waste of time. It could and should be reworked so that any slip up isn't an automatic failure for the people in other lanes who possess rudimentary self-awareness and the ability to respond to stimuli.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ItBurns posted:

Man you'll say anything to defend lovely game design won't you.

As easy as Teq, give me a loving break, Teq nowadays can done with pugs got there literally minutes before he spawns, Triple Trouble and Chak require at a bare minimum a hugely organized instance and that's still not guarantee for a win.

quote:

If you ever see EVOS advertising in lfg for TT loving take it, it's your best chance. All the other maps I go through end with failure and people patting each other on the back for a 'nice try'.

As for HoT metas in general success rates are usually great as long as you look specifically for organized maps to taxi into, preferably at a good amount of time before the event actually starts based on the bi-hourly schedule (check dulfy). I wish it was something more laid back but they've set everything up so that there's scheduling involved and a moderate time commitment. You can't be surprised at zoning into a failing octovine with uncommitted people while everyone else has their instances locked down and filled well in advance. If you are in an organized instance that failed it's likely because you didn't taxi enough people in time.

Ah yes the ever so fun and enjoyable mash join instance and pray you get in gameplay aspect, fun fun!

The map wide metas are loving stupid, they should have kept to world events like Tequalt not require a 150 assholes to hopefully be on the same page, Chak is especially bad since one lane fails=everyone fails, Teq and Triple at least have mechanics that let you salvage it unless things go horrifically wrong and even then, MAYBE, as I personally led a Teq instance that failed a battery and we still won by the skin of our teeth(fun as hell to.)

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

Octovine south is that the one where you push the bomb with shove moves? Ranger Longbow 4 it's your time to shine (don't pretend you don't use that loving move on literally everything you see you utter bastards).

NO NOT THAT WAY WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU!?

(never done a look for group, i've come across the meta's naturally and had them win a few of those times, but had fun trying)

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

Alteisen posted:

Ah yes the ever so fun and enjoyable mash join instance and pray you get in gameplay aspect, fun fun!

Actually that's not fun at all, but if you have to resort to brute forcing your way into a map because all the other taxis dried up you're already too late.

The alternative of course is sitting in a map for 30 minutes waiting for the event to start, which isn't fun either but it beats waiting for 2 hours.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Alteisen posted:

Man you'll say anything to defend lovely game design won't you.

As easy as Teq, give me a loving break, Teq nowadays can done with pugs got there literally minutes before he spawns, Triple Trouble and Chak require at a bare minimum a hugely organized instance and that's still not guarantee for a win.

The map wide metas are loving stupid, they should have kept to world events like Tequalt not require a 150 assholes to hopefully be on the same page, Chak is especially bad since one lane fails=everyone fails, Teq and Triple at least have mechanics that let you salvage it unless things go horrifically wrong and even then, MAYBE, as I personally led a Teq instance that failed a battery and we still won by the skin of our teeth(fun as hell to.)

lol

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
I haven't played GW2 in like a million years, but I'm suddenly in the mood to level a new character in it, since I remember just running around the leveling zones and doing stuff being super relaxing and fun. I can't decide what class to play, though! The classes that appeal to me aesthetically the most are the elementalist or the mesmer, but I remember them being really fiddly and difficult to play. Is that still the case, or have things changed since... like... 2012 or whenever it was I last tried them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kubert
Aug 9, 2010
even though elementalists and mesmers are more difficult to play relative to some other classes, you should stick with them if you like the style. you can't expect to be an expert right away but improving by playing the game is part of what makes video games fun right?

• Locked thread