Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Murdered: soul suspect has some creepy enviroments that don't rely on jump scares, just the kind of stuff you see and can picture how it was used (takes place in Salem, witch trial stuff)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

poptart_fairy posted:

Why can't we be a sexy Jason.

They should have had a stretch goal of mod support.

Being terrorized by a gored-up touhou, stalked not by 'Ch-ch-ch Ha-ha-ha', but by 'Itadakimasu".

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

woodenchicken posted:

Oxenfree is a recent one like that. Gorgeous/eerie location (resort town built over a WW2-era military facility), an old mystery associated with it that you uncover slowly, tons of little creepy details you can find if you search every corner. The part where you chitchat with friends constantly and that influences the story's outcome is done a little sloppily I think, but the game's atmosphere is just killer.

Good call. I know the composer so this one has been on my radar for a while, but I've yet to play it. Sounds like as good a reason as any to pick it up!

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

OxMan posted:

Murdered: soul suspect has some creepy enviroments that don't rely on jump scares, just the kind of stuff you see and can picture how it was used (takes place in Salem, witch trial stuff)

Yeah but in order to see those places you'd have to play Murdered soul suspect which is probably illegal in most countries with anti-torture laws.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Foxhound posted:

Yeah but in order to see those places you'd have to play Murdered soul suspect which is probably illegal in most countries with anti-torture laws.

Oh it's not that bad. It's below-average in many ways, especially with the inclusion of combat, but I played through it with some friends without tearing out my eyes.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Morpheus posted:

Oh it's not that bad. It's below-average in many ways, especially with the inclusion of combat, but I played through it with some friends without tearing out my eyes.

I sold it off the day I played it. I agree it's not the worst game in the world, but I really didn't feel like it had much going in its favor either. Also I didn't feel like it's setting or presentation thereof was in any way innovative or interesting. Not a fan of that one, I'm afraid.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

poptart_fairy posted:

Why can't we be a sexy Jason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAorf4tbqng

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

You should have posted the girl who cosplayed as that statue, because :drat:

Murdered was a great game except for its core gameplay, which yeah is a pretty big deal. I enjoyed it a lot for the characters and the collectibles.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
I mostly find it weird that people had such a massive problem with dodging the evil spirits. Like yeah, it was tacked on and seemed out of place, but it definitely wasn't that much of a time sink or an annoyance. If anything I just was annoyed with the clue and crime scene puzzle solving because sometimes it gave the dumbest possible answers that I didn't think it could possibly be right and yet it was. Like it'd say "Oh, what piece of evidence shows that this person was at the scene" and you've just got a piece of dialogue where someone says "Yup, I was at the scene"...are you trying to trick me game or is this meant for babies?

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

Zombie Samurai posted:

Murdered was a great game except for its core gameplay, which yeah is a pretty big deal. I enjoyed it a lot for the characters and the collectibles.

I agree that the setting and the story was alright, but it was just not fun at all to play. It had potential to be a fun ghost sherlock holmes thing but in the end felt more like a david cage game.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Zombie Samurai posted:

This one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DsJa6lJbDg

She did a good job with the costume, cosplay is tough poo poo

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Zombie Samurai posted:

The gameplay was incredibly easy (except for some demon stuff because you had to rapidly switch hiding spots to actually hide from them, especially late in the game), but the characters and environment were engaging enough that I really didn't give a poo poo.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

The gameplay was incredibly easy (except for some demon stuff because you had to rapidly switch hiding spots to actually hide from them, especially late in the game), but the characters and environment were engaging enough that I really didn't give a poo poo.

I must just be the odd one out here then because I didn't find the characters to be remotely engaging. The more I think about it the more I guess the worst thing I can say about the environment is that it's mostly forgettable for me.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Soul Suspect was just a poor man's Ghost Trick and Blackwell really.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Feb 24, 2016

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

The Saddest Rhino posted:

We Know The Devil is some kind of weird visual novel thing but it has a strong noise/synth soundtrack and creepiness

It's a pretty good sad gay spook 'em up

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Where can I get my greasy mits on that statue?! :prepop:

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Captain Yossarian posted:

Where can I get my greasy mits on that statue?! :prepop:

If you google for 'bishoujo Jason' you could probably find one. There was even a sexy Freddy Kreuger one too. (Yes, a company has made multiple statuettes as so-and-so character.... but as a sexy anime babe!)

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I hate that I keep brining him up, but was watching Harsly critical playing Firewatch and binged the entire thing in one go. That was really engaging and kinda creepy up to a point. Kind of reminded me of Scratches how Your own paranoia feeds into this greater story that doesn't actually happen.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

LadyPictureShow posted:

If you google for 'bishoujo Jason' you could probably find one. There was even a sexy Freddy Kreuger one too. (Yes, a company has made multiple statuettes as so-and-so character.... but as a sexy anime babe!)

Yowza that sexy Freddy Kreuger... I lived my whole life as a slasher movie fan and my resistance to sexy anime statues prevented me from getting this beauty?! :(

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

For those of you that play Lakeview Cabin Collection, did you know you can get into the sewer in the intro? Because holy :stonk:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Has anyone played the Darkness WIthin games? They're part of a humble bundle right now.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Might be worth cross posting here. Capcom confirmed we are getting ps4 and Xbox one copies of resident evil 4,5 and 6.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Len posted:

Has anyone played the Darkness WIthin games? They're part of a humble bundle right now.

I played the first one, though not much of it. It wasn't an immediately engaging game and I moved on to something more interesting, but that said at least the bit I played seemed fine, which sadly is more than can be said for a lot of suspense/horror games. My understanding is that they're heavily inspired by Lovecraftian horror if that's your bag. Could be wrong on that though.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Yowza that sexy Freddy Kreuger... I lived my whole life as a slasher movie fan and my resistance to sexy anime statues prevented me from getting this beauty?! :(

Pfft, they're not even horribly burned or facially deformed, as a discerning consumer, I wouldn't waste my money!

Also, I think somebody earlier in the thread posted a shorter mention of this, but this article contains the whole 'epic' saga:
https://storify.com/jasperrolls/the-silent-hill-wiki-circumcision-meltdown-of-2015

Some mod on the Silent Hill Wiki has a complete and utter meltdown spanning several days about the horrors of circumcision. He picks fights with users, he keeps editing pages to put circumcision speculation back in, even screams at a user with a baby boy DID YOU MUTILATE YOUR SON?! 9/11 being an inside job and 'LOL all religions are wrong and people are sheeple' also come into play.

Voidburger was doing gods work in documenting the dilemma

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Until Dawn is 30 bucks on PSN. Is it worth it?

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

oldpainless posted:

I'd say yes. It's a pretty classic "slasher/teen horror movie" game with a couple of interesting twists.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Until Dawn is definitely worth it. Just keep in mind that even though it seems like it's going to be a cliche storm, it sets about subverting a good deal of the stereotypes and the attitude of a lot of the characters can depend on the choices you make.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

oldpainless posted:

Hell yes. It's also 100% girlfriend approved (or boyfriend). I joke, but my girlfriend seriously Sat down and watched me play through the whole thing and actively got engaged :)

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Hell yes. It's also 100% girlfriend approved (or boyfriend). I joke, but my girlfriend seriously Sat down and watched me play through the whole thing and actively got engaged :)

congratulations!!!!!!!!!!

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
We did it, reddit!

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

GulagDolls posted:

congratulations!!!!!!!!!!

Lmao dear God no I meant "really got into watching the game" :argh:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Lmao dear God no I meant "really got into watching the game" :argh:

Well, get busy with that other thing then.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

OxMan posted:

The developers research pretty much was "oh there were some witches and stuff"

Everything else is pretty much made up and wasn't actually in Salem.

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

MockingQuantum posted:

I'm not sure if it would count towards what you're looking for, but maybe look at Silent Hill 4 and Fatal Frame 3, specifically the hub areas.

Again I'm not sure if it would count, but I've started playing Anodyne recently and it feels wrong in a way I can't pinpoint.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Until Dawn really has no right being as good as it is

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it
Has anyone played Anatomy yet? It's getting some really good buzz with a bunch of horrorgames people I follow on Twitter.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

DrSnakeLaser posted:

I'm not sure if it would count towards what you're looking for, but maybe look at Silent Hill 4 and Fatal Frame 3, specifically the hub areas.

Again I'm not sure if it would count, but I've started playing Anodyne recently and it feels wrong in a way I can't pinpoint.

Oooh actually Anodyne might be along the lines of what I'm looking for, in a way. Very weird and unsettling in a way you can't always put your finger on.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Macaluso posted:

Until Dawn really has no right being as good as it is

I played through it enough to get all the trophies and it didn't make me hate it which is an achievement itself.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/02/26/frogwares-hear-the-call-of-cthulhu-in-2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

quote:

Stealth mechanics

Nope, im good. Getting kinda tired of this crutch in horror.