Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Google Butt posted:

I'm an idiot

Apples and pears. Don't compare lifestyle choices to how you were born just to make yourself feel better about being a horrible person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
INN fiction: Bootstraps

Nobody ever uses that expression correctly (correct usage is not to)

CashEnsign
Feb 7, 2015
they kick you off, but not 50 minutes

CashEnsign fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Feb 24, 2016

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Unfunny Poster posted:

Isn't the system pretty much identical to other games bounty systems?

The immersive nature of being sent to your room and grounded elevates this system beyond other games.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CashEnsign posted:

Other games don't kick you off the server for 50 minutes for too much non-consensual pvp.

Wait, that's their system? They kick you if you PVP in a certain way? :laffo:

That's a pretty lazy design if you want there to be PVP in your game.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

A Neurotic Jew posted:

http://www.dorkly.com/post/77193/sketchy-video-game-kickstarters/page:3

5 Sketchy Video Game Kickstarters That Were Doomed From the Start

lol

savage

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Beer: Who was your first kill, not counting old men?
Eonwe: One of the outlaws in the Brotherhood.
Seraph84: I was there that day. You were only a squire, sixteen years old.
Eonwe: You killed Friendly Tumour with a counter-post. Best move I ever saw.
Oven Wrangler

Unfunny Poster posted:

Found the flaw in your logic.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Careful now. We don't want to get her fired.

notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

It's pretty funny he still haven't fixed the loving reset button :effort:

Betya he'll fix it and put it up again for the same price next time

Same price??

Gotta charge for parts and labor, schlub

CashEnsign
Feb 7, 2015

Unfunny Poster posted:

But only if you are in "high sec" and some places in "high sec" you can turn off "high sec" until another player comes and turns it on. But if you turn off "high sec" you get .5 of a wanted level.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Xaerael posted:

Apples and pears. Don't compare lifestyle choices to how you were born just to make yourself feel better about being a horrible person.

eating disorders aren't a lifestyle choice :iamafag:

but yea lol bens fat hehe

Google Butt fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Feb 24, 2016

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

To Those of You Complaining About Ships/PTU Releases/Progress]

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6392411/#Comment_6392411

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6392513/#Comment_6392513

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6393471/#Comment_6393471

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

A Neurotic Jew posted:

http://www.dorkly.com/post/77193/sketchy-video-game-kickstarters/page:3

5 Sketchy Video Game Kickstarters That Were Doomed From the Start

Awwwww yisss... Gonna be a classic comments section

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Scruffpuff posted:

This latest patch really helps to understand the answer to the question nobody thought to ask when this project began: "What is Star Citizen?"

We've all read the stretch goals, and we all had ideas in our minds of what this project could have been back during the Kickstarter. Many here, including myself, backed it. Some were so taken in by the possibilities offered that they continued to back it even once the problems started to surface. Very few people wanted to consider that the game would outright fail; I assert that the latest PTU patch instead indicates the direction I personally feared the project would take: the path to mediocrity.

Players had dreams of being pirates, merchants, miners, mercenaries - anything they could dream up. Early iterations of CIG's promises, "10 For the Chairman" notwithstanding, reinforced these ideas. I think many people saw this game as an evolutionary step beyond a hybrid of Eve and Elite Dangerous - the freedom and depth of the former, with the polish and attention to detail of the latter, with the added bonus of full immersion by allowing the universe to be experienced from a seamless first-person perspective.

Over the years, the most common cited cause being gross mismanagement from Chris Roberts himself, the development took on a laser-like focus on the "seamless first-person perspective" aspect of the game. A poor engine choice, combined with the absolute refusal to compromise on that vision, began to cripple the entire project. Instead of how, or even if, such a scheme could be made to work on such a grand scale, instead faith was placed in the idea that with enough money, studios, and developer talent, it just had to be possible. It was simply a matter of assigning resources.

The result of that mindset became evident when the first iteration of the PTU was released. A horribly broken mess that barely qualifies as a tech demo, much less a game. As the money ran down, Chris turned 100% of his attention to SQ42 (the project he actually wanted to release, which he funded through the promises made for a project he does not care about, or know how to play), leaving the rest of his teams to keep backers happy with continued attempts to get the PTU in working order.

Whether or not those teams are able to technologically achieve that goal is not relevant. What is relevant is that with this latest patch, they have taken the first step on what will become an irreversible path: they are no longer creating the game they planned. Instead, they are designing the game in response to the behavior and experiences of the players currently in the Alpha. Ignoring the rhetoric of whether or not the PTU qualifies as a "true alpha", this is not how you design game systems. Player behavior in a game environment is completely irrelevant if no game systems are yet in place - player behavior is only valuable as a metric once you study that behavior within a completed set of interwoven gaming systems.

The result is as hilarious as it is disappointing. New rules that give players "criminal ranks" for ramming ships on the landing pads. "Time outs" in your room for being killed as a criminal. These are systems that took development time to design, code, implement, test, and release. You will not find these gaming systems in the original pitch, the expanded pitch, or even in the stretch goals. Yet it is here nonetheless - the first actual game elements are now in place - and they were instituted not as an action by CIG, but as a reaction.

Star Citizen, as a game, is finally beginning to take shape. It is not being shaped by the vision of Chris Roberts, nor by design documents. It is not being shaped by the hopes and dreams of backers, nor the promises in 10 For the Chairman. It is instead being shaped by the reactions to chaotic player behavior in a closed pre-alpha environment - systems in place to curb behavior seen as undesirable, yet in no way moving toward any of the promises of what this game could have been. We can expect more such systems to be introduced over the coming months, each one intended to either fix or balance the previous patch, or introduce a new system in order to address some new concern about player behavior.

So now we have an answer to What is Star Citizen? Star Citizen is a game where every action you take is going to be limited by artificial constraints; all put in place to restrict player behavior to what people imagine that behavior should be. The "game" will be to learn the systems, and the constraints, and either work within them, or find a way around them. In other words, Star Citizen is the ultimate metagame. And that's the opposite of immersion.

Thanks to darkarchon for pointing this post out. It's disturbingly resonant. CIG has a history of reactionary measures. Often those reactions, such as with basically everything Ben has ever done, end up being terrible failures. But it never dawned on me that the same approach would also be true of the game design. It makes perfect sense when you consider the fact that CR's interest in the gameplay of Star Citizen is insignificant compared to his interest in the cinematic aspects. Without a clear sense of leadership, established design documents, and a cohesive vision for gameplay the individual designers and developers are forced to largely come up with things on their own. This is not what someone who extensively plays his own game and is familiar with the mechanics looks like. In the absence of feedback from those in charge of course the designers are going to listen to the community and whatever the most vocal users say. Who else can they listen to?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Thanks to darkarchon for pointing this post out. It's disturbingly resonant. CIG has a history of reactionary measures. Often those reactions, such as with basically everything Ben has ever done, end up being terrible failures. But it never dawned on me that the same approach would also be true of the game design. It makes perfect sense when you consider the fact that CR's interest in the gameplay of Star Citizen is insignificant compared to his interest in the cinematic aspects. Without a clear sense of leadership, established design documents, and a cohesive vision for gameplay the individual designers and developers are forced to largely come up with things on their own. This is not what someone who extensively plays his own game and is familiar with the mechanics looks like. In the absence of feedback from those in charge of course the designers are going to listen to the community and whatever the most vocal users say. Who else can they listen to?

My impression is that this guy wanted to make movies but out of lack of funding for one he decided to make video games instead. I am certain that after getting 100 million he would have preferred to have made a movie instead and thinks about that fact all the time.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Unfunny Poster posted:

Isn't the system pretty much identical to other games bounty systems?

It's as original as every other "never been done before" idea Chris has had.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Google Butt posted:

Show me where Lesnick was diagnosed with an eating disorder. Otherwise shut up and stop trying to make yourself feel better about being a horrible person.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Rudager posted:

It's as original as every other "never been done before" idea Chris has had.

Lol if you think Chris knows anything about some non-movie made on another continent

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Xaerael posted:

Show me where Lesnick was diagnosed with an eating disorder. Otherwise shut up and stop trying to make yourself feel better about being a horrible person.

Well he didn't get that morbidly obese by not eating everything around him lol.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

This shitizen thinks that the part about funding on the kickstarter means that 100 million isn't enough and they will have to limit the release.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Google Butt posted:

That's an incredible understatement.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Lol if you think Chris knows anything about some non-movie made on another continent

pretty sure that thing he did with kevin costner is a non-movie

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Google Butt posted:

This will come as a shock but I believe you may be a bad poster

darkarchon
Feb 2, 2016

My name is a trolling word

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Thanks to darkarchon for pointing this post out. It's disturbingly resonant.

Just doing my job. Why is there no salute smiley? I'm disappointed SA.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

mp5 posted:

pretty sure that thing he did with kevin costner is a non-movie

Pretty sure anyone who mentions that to him gets fired

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

Xaerael posted:

how am I horrible? just laughing at you defending the honor of one and not the other

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

darkarchon posted:

The :patriot: smilie needs a Stimpire flag.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

This will come as a shock but I believe you may be a bad poster

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Ben's fat LOL

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

darkarchon posted:

Here is your reward: :commissar:

darkarchon
Feb 2, 2016

My name is a trolling word

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Here is your reward: :commissar:

That's a stimpire-worthy reward. Now I can finally be free! FREE!

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Google Butt posted:

Ben's fat LOL

lmao!

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Whenever I read this poo poo I wish I could reach out through my 4k monitor and slap them.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

MeLKoR posted:

Whenever I read this poo poo I wish I could reach out through my 4k monitor and slap them.

Same but more monitors

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Xaerael posted:

laughing at you and your extremely misplaced crusade for a better society is laudable and righteous

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Sickening posted:

My impression is that this guy wanted to make movies but out of lack of funding for one he decided to make video games instead. I am certain that after getting 100 million he would have preferred to have made a movie instead and thinks about that fact all the time.

That's pretty much a given at this point. What I don't understand is why he pitched this MMO crap instead of going on Kickstarter and saying "I'm Chris Roberts, the guy who made the Wing Commander series and some other cool games you loved. I'd like to make another one like them using modern technology. I think it'd be pretty drat awesome, and if you do to, kick in some money and we'll try and make the best spiritual sequel to Wing Commander possible." People fall over themselves to back old developers with poo poo franchises all the time. If the guy who made Clock Tower can get money to make another running away simulator, I'm sure Roberts could have raised the funds for another FMV masterpiece without making up this Star Citizen crap.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

fuctifino posted:

The Star Furnace PC is back on ebay for £1,250 this time. I don't think he understands how auctions are meant to work. lol

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Star-Citizen-Official-Unique-AMD-based-system-TNGS-1st-prize-/161984139754

This thing is going to be auctioned so many times, by the time he sells it, he will break even on fees, even take a loss!!!!

I forget which article about star citizen was linked earlier but it lead to this.

http://www.timesunion.com/local/article/Secrets-of-NXIVM-2880885.php

Share your favorite cult.

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

Sunswipe posted:

That's pretty much a given at this point. What I don't understand is why he pitched this MMO crap instead of going on Kickstarter and saying "I'm Chris Roberts, the guy who made the Wing Commander series and some other cool games you loved. I'd like to make another one like them using modern technology. I think it'd be pretty drat awesome, and if you do to, kick in some money and we'll try and make the best spiritual sequel to Wing Commander possible." People fall over themselves to back old developers with poo poo franchises all the time. If the guy who made Clock Tower can get money to make another running away simulator, I'm sure Roberts could have raised the funds for another FMV masterpiece without making up this Star Citizen crap.

That was the original pitch.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
i_still_trust_cig continues to fight the good fight, making a persuasive case for fish tank diversity and gender inclusiveness in Star Citizen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
thread needs some Eonwe

• Locked thread