Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

It would be a real kick in the teeth to be an aging feminist academic scholar, having lived through, documented, and researched the tragic internal fragmentation of your field of study, only to see that the age of the Internet has allowed external forces to try to finish clipping its wings by making what you've devoted your life to studying into either a punchline or a weapon to be wielded by idiots, or both :smith:

Yeah, getting old sucks for everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Captain Monkey posted:

Yeah, getting old sucks for everyone.

Not for whiskeys.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Solice Kirsk posted:

Not for whiskeys.

I doubt the whiskeys themselves care much either way.

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

It would be a real kick in the teeth to be an aging feminist academic scholar, having lived through, documented, and researched the tragic internal fragmentation of your field of study, only to see that the age of the Internet has allowed external forces to try to finish clipping its wings by making what you've devoted your life to studying into either a punchline or a weapon to be wielded by idiots, or both :smith:

I think you're severely overestimating the significance of Reddit in modern society.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

Not for whiskeys.

People are more interested in consuming them, which seems like a negative for the whiskey itself.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Lamprey Cannon posted:

I think you're severely overestimating the significance of Reddit in modern society.

Nah, I hear lots of public figures saying, "I'm not a feminist!" in the same tone they would use to deny making GBS threads their pants.

Bonus points when they're women running for political office.

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009

AlbieQuirky posted:

Nah, I hear lots of public figures saying, "I'm not a feminist!" in the same tone they would use to deny making GBS threads their pants.

Bonus points when they're women running for political office.

This predates Reddit.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Dogfish posted:

This predates Reddit.

It doesn't predate the Internet imo. Although maybe we're responding to different posts?

I think right-wing talk radio got a good start on the wing-clipping, if I understand GOTTA STAY FAI's metaphor, but the Internet took it further.

When I taught college in the early nineties, I didn't hear the average student talk trash about feminism.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Lamprey Cannon posted:

It's not just Reddit--"feminist" has been a stand-in word for "woman I don't agree with" for quite a while. The Internet is just helping spread its use by giving idiots a new target to level their guns at. Look basically anywhere on social media:

"The Ghostbusters reboot will have a FEMALE cast? Fuckin' feminists"

"Stupid feminists want a livable wage; they'd make more money if they did MEN's work instead of being secretaries"

"How dare she give this game I like a 7/10 review score? loving feminism"

"Ha, goddamn feminists bitching about how women's personal care products cost more than men's"

"I'm voting for Trump because I don't want a fuckin' feminist in the White House"

etc.

edit: VVVVVVV Much more eloquent and succinct than my explanation. I blame feminism.

GOTTA STAY FAI has a new favorite as of 19:07 on Feb 24, 2016

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Lamprey Cannon posted:

If it helps, just think of Feminist as interchangeable with SJW.

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009

AlbieQuirky posted:

It doesn't predate the Internet imo. Although maybe we're responding to different posts?

I think right-wing talk radio got a good start on the wing-clipping, if I understand GOTTA STAY FAI's metaphor, but the Internet took it further.

When I taught college in the early nineties, I didn't hear the average student talk trash about feminism.

Women not wanting to be identified as feminist because of negative social consequences or because of a misperception that being a feminist means hating men or being a lesbian definitely, without a doubt, predates the internet.

When I graduated high school, the same year Reddit was founded, I absolutely did not identify as a feminist because that was my perception of feminism and the perception of everyone I knew. I'm not saying that's how everyone in the world felt at the time (definitely not the case), but the idea that feminism is a fringe movement suitable for radicals and based in at least some form of man-hating is a really widespread and long-standing one.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Last weekend I overheard a dude complain how he had thought that when he started university there would be sensible mature adults there, but all he found were "some loving feminists". Sadly I didn't stick around long enough to get an idea what he's studying.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Veib posted:

Last weekend I overheard a dude complain how he had thought that when he started university there would be sensible mature adults there, but all he found were "some loving feminists". Sadly I didn't stick around long enough to get an idea what he's studying.

Probably engineering.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Dogfish posted:

Women not wanting to be identified as feminist because of negative social consequences or because of a misperception that being a feminist means hating men or being a lesbian definitely, without a doubt, predates the internet.

When I graduated high school, the same year Reddit was founded, I absolutely did not identify as a feminist because that was my perception of feminism and the perception of everyone I knew. I'm not saying that's how everyone in the world felt at the time (definitely not the case), but the idea that feminism is a fringe movement suitable for radicals and based in at least some form of man-hating is a really widespread and long-standing one.

Personally I don't identify as feminist because I'm a guy and:

me in an A/T thread by someone who works in the sex industry posted:

I consider myself a humanist and feminism is part and parcel with that. However you're right in saying men can't really be feminists. I am fully in support of all of feminism's goals, but I'm doing that from a position of privilege that precludes me from ever truly experiencing being the object of the prejudice. My objection is on moral and ethical grounds because it can't be on personal grounds. And I would never presume to claim personal grounds on behalf of any woman capable of claiming them for herself. If I was MtF trans I might claim it but as long as I gender myself male I can't truly be a feminist.

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009
Oh good I hope we can have a long discussion about activist terminology and the role of allies now.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Groke posted:

I doubt the whiskeys themselves care much either way.

Excuse me, but I am therian whiskeykin, and I care a lot.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

http://imgur.com/gallery/TCPhLv1

How much of a stupid idiot do you have to be to fall for this stuff. Besides the fact that every human being in STDH stories all talk exactly the same. Other immediate triggers for other people who aren't morons:

-Vague comment about "ABC News radio broadcast"
-:siren: FEMALE :siren: broadcaster
-:frogsiren: FEMALE :frogsiren: interviewer.
-Stereotyping, but no Australian talks like this.
-This is only a great comeback if you're 12 year-old sexist.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

razorrozar posted:

That's really well put. As a feminist woman I never object to a guy identifying as feminist, because simplifying labels helps clarify messaging, and a man might have more influence in changing other men's minds about "feminist" being a dirty word, but I appreciate nuanced thinking about the issue and I'm enjoying thinking about how angry imgur commenters would be to read this conversation.

I'm also trying to find a bad imgur post to get the conversation on track again but imgur seems oddly un-terrible today so here's a green dog:

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

I'm also trying to find a bad imgur post to get the conversation on track again but imgur seems oddly un-terrible today so here's a green dog:

http://imgur.com/gallery/Szl37vs

quote:

I'm a middle school teacher. Last year, many of the 8th grade students were Imgur users who enjoyed making little references in my classes to keep things entertaining (or distract the hell out of me). This year I have about zero Imgur users, and it makes me very sad. I keep making little references in all my classes to see if any of my students have discovered this magical place, but none had..... until today! After playing a YouTube clip, one of my favorite kiddies commented "11/10 Ms. Mimzical, would watch again", to which I replied "5/7, best video ever". He nearly fell off his chair laughing while the rest of the class looked at both of us like we were crazy people, which we evidently are. I just wanted to share this little moment with you, Usersub. Have a 5/7 day.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Dogfish posted:

I am really confused. I'm saying a particular social attitude (talking trash about feminism) didn't become widespread among 18-25-year-olds in the US, in my observation, until the mid-1990s. Your saying that you had that attitude in 2005 doesn't really respond to what I said.

Am I being unclear? I'm saying that in my experience, before the mid 90s, most 18-25-year-olds in the US didn't care about feminism either way, and that it wasn't widely discussed in that demographic.

AlbieQuirky has a new favorite as of 21:28 on Feb 24, 2016

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Dogfish posted:

Oh good I hope we can have a long discussion about activist terminology and the role of allies now.

I will never quite understand the mindset that threads need to be solely about what's listed in the header and nothing more. It'd be like if I wandered into a card shop and got pissed that people were talking about things that weren't Magic.

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009

AlbieQuirky posted:

I am really confused. I'm saying a particular social attitude (talking trash about feminism) didn't become widespread among 18-25-year-olds in the US, in my observation, until the mid-1990s. Your saying that you had that attitude in 2005 doesn't really respond to what I said.

Am I being unclear? I'm saying that in my experience, before the mid 90s, most 18-25-year-olds in the US didn't care about feminism either way, and that it wasn't widely discussed in that demographic.

I'm sorry; I had misread you as saying that you thought this social trend had been precipitated by Reddit and in general by "the internet" (which I assume means by the particular social role that anonymous internet communication currently occupies). In my brain, somehow the mid-90s became the mid-00s, probably because I was thinking about the rise of social media.

If you are indeed saying that you think Reddit, social media, etc. caused the widespread perception that feminism is a negative thing that nice women should avoid, I think you're wrong. If you're saying that they changed the conversation, I think you're right.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

razorrozar posted:

That is a very good way of going about it.

I am of the opinion that a man can identify as feminist without it being problematic. Many feminist women I know are happy when men do it, since it helps erode the stigma that "feminist=bad", but at the same time there's a lot of guys who use the title as a trophy. Or they'll talk over women during conversations of feminism. So I total understand when some women say men can't truly be feminists, and I'd never argue that point with them.

I have a very personal investment in feminism, because overall feminism has done more to support me as a bisexual male than the drat LGBT community has.

Lady Naga posted:

I will never quite understand the mindset that threads need to be solely about what's listed in the header and nothing more. It'd be like if I wandered into a card shop and got pissed that people were talking about things that weren't Magic.

Not to mention this is actually an interesting derail where some people have asked questions and learned things.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Lady Naga posted:

It's less about that and more that this particular discussion gets very old and very semanticy very fast, and happens at some point in any conversation of feminism that goes on long enough.

As for me. I am a man that supports and endorses equal treatment for all genders and sexes. Whether that makes me a feminist or an ally really makes no difference to me. I think people get hung up on terminology too often.

gently caress egalitarian tho

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

http://imgur.com/gallery/Y8KisL6

Ahh.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Racism is cool as long as it's against the bad guys!

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Being buttmad that someone joked about ISIS loving sheep is peak inverse irony. Or is it?

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RareAcumen posted:

Racism is cool as long as it's against the bad guys!
The first three words of that sentence are more in line with how imgur users think.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Lady Naga posted:

Usually it's when it 100% takes over a thread and ruins all potential for discussion of the topic that the thread is about. That said, often times people are too touchy about it for sure.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

I don't think you should be on this site without your parents' permission

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Captain Monkey posted:

Usually it's when it 100% takes over a thread and ruins all potential for discussion of the topic that the thread is about. That said, often times people are too touchy about it for sure.

But then the people complaining about it never actually contribute. Want a thread to back on track? Post some content, don't just complain that others are talking.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

blarzgh posted:

Being buttmad that someone joked about ISIS loving sheep is peak inverse irony. Or is it?

2006 is that-a-way, man!

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Lady Naga posted:

Nah it'd be like if you walked into a card shop and found out that for that day they didn't sell magic cards anymore they sold some poo poo you didn't care about but if you did could easily find at a different store.

aegeryn
Oct 14, 2006

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

I'm also trying to find a bad imgur post to get the conversation on track again

Gotcha covered.

http://imgur.com/gallery/whWF2Ql

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

duh, hate crimes are for when an attack is based on race, not when an attack is based on race.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

BobbyK posted:

Nah it'd be like if you walked into a card shop and found out that for that day they didn't sell magic cards anymore they sold some poo poo you didn't care about but if you did could easily find at a different store.

Whenever a derail happens nothing is preventing you from continuing to post and discuss the content outlined in the header hth

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Finding good content for this thread is always such a Pyrrhic victory.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Dogfish posted:

I'm sorry; I had misread you as saying that you thought this social trend had been precipitated by Reddit and in general by "the internet" (which I assume means by the particular social role that anonymous internet communication currently occupies). In my brain, somehow the mid-90s became the mid-00s, probably because I was thinking about the rise of social media.

If you are indeed saying that you think Reddit, social media, etc. caused the widespread perception that feminism is a negative thing that nice women should avoid, I think you're wrong. If you're saying that they changed the conversation, I think you're right.

I was more trying to get at something more like "popularized" or "made commonplace" rather than "caused", but I know I was not as clear as I could have been. But I think the trend really picked up steam among young US adults in the 1990s specifically because of the Internet (blogs, websites, Usenet, forums, etc.)

Thanks for being patient with my confusion! Sometimes headaches make me not very quick.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009

AlbieQuirky posted:

I was more trying to get at something more like "popularized" or "made commonplace" rather than "caused", but I know I was not as clear as I could have been. But I think the trend really picked up steam among young US adults in the 1990s specifically because of the Internet (blogs, websites, Usenet, forums, etc.)

Thanks for being patient with my confusion! Sometimes headaches make me not very quick.

It was as much my confusion as yours :)

• Locked thread