Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

It's noisy when it gets loud, but maybe that's just why I notice the processor speeding up. People have reported it gets really demanding around that screen on PC as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cams
Mar 28, 2003

anyone from here going to wnf tonight? had to open on thursday last week so i didn't go.

gonna have a lot of fun playing the worst character in the game

also, here is my favorite match i've played yet in sf5 https://youtu.be/ClOPe8hQ-n8

cams fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Feb 24, 2016

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

I want to like Gief but he is not good and I am not good so we're not a good match.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
I keep losing to round 50 Bison. Just make it stop.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Agoat posted:

I wanted to so bad but I couldn't get the day off.

Dang

RIP, I'll take pictures and video

God Damn Dam God
Dec 24, 2004

I push buttons. I turn dials. I read numbers. Sometimes I make up little stories in my head about what the numbers mean.
Grimey Drawer

Cat Machine posted:

i had a really fun round 2 in this match, mindgames own

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Srf35ndAQ20&t=110s

That bison is pretty much me every game.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Okay guys:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DL9WWmlBNQQ

This is a video of me being bad at videogames for about five matches.

Advice on how not to be bad at videogames would be appreciated greatly. I might do more if people are actually interested. (And actually fix my volume so you can hear me chatting about what I'm thinking while I play)

The big thing to note. The super comes out by accident almost every time.

I'm late here, but one really striking thing to me is that you NEVER (I watched only first six minutes) use normals outside of when you are 100% sure they will hit or are well in range to be blocked. This means your entire approach is limited to two things: "walk into range of my buttons I push" and "jump in."

Watch a match video of a good Laura player, and notice the buttons she'll throw out even if she's not in range to know that they will hit or be blocked. You should be moving and whiffing moves in a way that encourages your opponent to either jump into you for an anti-air, forces them to do something else unsafe, or forces them to risk throwing out a move which you potentially can whiff punish. This kind of thing could also force your opponent to actually move into range of one of your pokes, putting you in range without having to predictability walk right into range.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I've tried several times and it's made me so furious. Even when I got good luck with health recoveries and made it all the way to Bison, he just rushed me down and obliterated me before I could get anything going.

I just wish that they made a normal arcade mode with difficulty select and tied colors/titles to that, and then did a separate survival mode with infinite enemies and let you get BP from that. Right now it just seems like the worst of both worlds. It's like playing in the arcade but you're not allowed to put another credit in.
I find that skipping the health boosters in favor of attack damage boosters can work out well if you're at half health or higher. If I see a low health boost, I'll go for the damage boost instead and just go in hard on the next fight. It's a roll of the dice but, more often than not, you'll get a better health boost in the next match.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

be very careful with whiffing normals as laura. lp, lk, and standing mk are her only normals that aren't astoundingly easy to whiff punish. those buttons are very good though. i also recommend getting them to block crouching hp as much as possible, ideally at max range.

i'll write a huge post about laura later, most likely after wnf. still need a little more data.

i saw a birdie matchup chart earlier, i still think he WRECKS laura

i saw a reversal chart earlier, yes laura's only reversals are a 4 frame super (that i do not think is invincible a startup) and an ex elbow with a point of hit invincibility after 3 frames of startup.

laura is great.

cams fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Feb 24, 2016

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

cams posted:

anyone from here going to wnf tonight? had to open on thursday last week so i didn't go.

gonna have a lot of fun playing the worst character in the game

also, here is my favorite match i've played yet in sf5 https://youtu.be/ClOPe8hQ-n8

Literally watched this game as I played a Vega and got him to gently caress up by being really lame.

angel opportunity posted:

I'm late here, but one really striking thing to me is that you NEVER (I watched only first six minutes) use normals outside of when you are 100% sure they will hit or are well in range to be blocked. This means your entire approach is limited to two things: "walk into range of my buttons I push" and "jump in."

Watch a match video of a good Laura player, and notice the buttons she'll throw out even if she's not in range to know that they will hit or be blocked. You should be moving and whiffing moves in a way that encourages your opponent to either jump into you for an anti-air, forces them to do something else unsafe, or forces them to risk throwing out a move which you potentially can whiff punish. This kind of thing could also force your opponent to actually move into range of one of your pokes, putting you in range without having to predictability walk right into range.

Okay, this is so far beyond what I'm even doing that I have literally no idea what this would even begin to entail. If I whiff things aren't I just create opportunities for my opponent to kick my poo poo in? Like Laura doesn't have any normal that advance her position on the stage so I have literally no idea what whiffing a bunch of attacks would even do as long as my opponent is vaguely calm?

I'm grateful for the help, but I honestly don't understand.

E: FB Cams who said that way better than I could.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Okay, this is so far beyond what I'm even doing that I have literally no idea what this would even begin to entail. If I whiff things aren't I just create opportunities for my opponent to kick my poo poo in? Like Laura doesn't have any normal that advance her position on the stage so I have literally no idea what whiffing a bunch of attacks would even do as long as my opponent is vaguely calm?

Whiffing normals can be good because it makes the opponent unable to walk forward without getting hit. Though obviously the slower a normal is (and how predictable you are with using it), the more likely you are to get whiff punished.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Right now the game feels really decently balanced

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

ZenVulgarity posted:

Right now the game feels really decently balanced

Said a non zangief main.

Sarcasm aside, I agree overall.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Benson Cunningham posted:

Said a non zangief main.

Seems kind of hard to say Gief isn't balanced (currently at least) considering he won a 160-man tournament last week, beating the best dhalsim in america in the process.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Literally watched this game as I played a Vega and got him to gently caress up by being really lame.

Okay, ignore whiffing normals then and let's just focus on "walking back and forth." Instead of just walking straight into them, or walking, stopping, then walking in further, start also walking back and forth.

Even if you don't press a single button, you're tempting the opponent to push something to hit you, and if you do it right, it will whiff. This also makes a jump-in you go for more likely to hit them as they go for a button press. If you only ever walk straight in, you're more predictable. The idea is that you are confusing them about your intentions: are you going to walk all the way in and command grab? Are you going to poke them at a certain range? Are you going to back totally out of their button ranges for a moment and hope they whiff a poke? Since they don't know, they have to mentally load up all possibilities and ideally make a bad decision. If you only ever walk straight in, they can just say "I'll wait until he's just about to my cr. mp range and press cr. mp."

Once you start doing this and seeing how it works, you will start to get first-hand how whiffing buttons while doing the shuffle stepping at their poke ranges could become beneficial.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

A.o.D. posted:

What's tacticool Taskmaster doing here?
Naw, that's just Skull Man.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
I'm really enjoying Necali right now. I've done a few long sets against my roommate's Birdie and it feels moderately even, because if you can get inside even once you're going to do about half of birdie's health and 75% of his stun in just a few seconds. Plus he gets crazy annoyed at how activating Super Saiyan is instant for Necali, so I can just do it on reaction to anything he does and figure out the safest response. I need to practice actual max-damage punishes, but right now I seem to be working out well just doing his easy MK-HK-V-skill target combo. I still haven't figured out a good way to use his horizontal dash attack, though. It's just so unsafe and dangerous that every time I do it I eat a massive punish. Am I missing something on how to use it or is it sort of a 'avoid this move' thing?

cams
Mar 28, 2003

i think the game is very well balanced. i also think laura has the worst matchups in the game.

gief is great.

just had someone rage quit on me in casual

edit twice in a row lol

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
hey guys im cams and i play laura THE WORST CHARACTER IN THE GAME

cams
Mar 28, 2003

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

hey guys im cams and i play laura THE WORST CHARACTER IN THE GAME
no you're bebop

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
no i'm cams cant you tell by my exclaiming that LAURA IS THE WORST CHARACTER IN THE GAME and also THAT I PLAY HER

cams
Mar 28, 2003

well i'm a big fan of me so i support this. i don't think it's great sfv content though.

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
hit confirm into critical art was all the skill needed to get bronze :toot:

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I guess I just don't get why you use Laura when all you do is complain about how much you hate playing her

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Help Im Alive posted:

I guess I just don't get why you use Laura when all you do is complain about how much you hate playing her
that's a terrible problem you have

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Zodiac5000 posted:

I still haven't figured out a good way to use his horizontal dash attack, though. It's just so unsafe and dangerous that every time I do it I eat a massive punish. Am I missing something on how to use it or is it sort of a 'avoid this move' thing?

It's used for a couple of things.

1. Goes through fireballs.

2. Combo Ender.

3. Soft punish for things that would otherwise be out of reach.

The Ex version in V-Trigger mode especially does quite a bit of damage (It's more of a berserker barrage at that point) so it's overall usefulness goes up.

It's a good move as long as you aren't randomly throwing it out and hoping your opponent forgets to block, basically.

madmac fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Feb 24, 2016

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Help Im Alive posted:

It's because she's interesting.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?

keithy george posted:

It's noisy when it gets loud, but maybe that's just why I notice the processor speeding up. People have reported it gets really demanding around that screen on PC as well

I'd like the game to support overlays like everything else does. I can't see my fps or temps like I do with HWinfo for other games.

I did a FT3 and logged the temps and cpu/gpu usage, the GPU is used a lot but my CPU doesn't get too much stress.

Hydrocodone
Sep 26, 2007

Fought my way up to bronze, tilted back down to ~450, back to bronze--I think this is where I'm settling currently. It fits my "I forget the punish for aggro I trained as soon as a real match starts" play style.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Benson Cunningham posted:

Said a non zangief main.

Snake eyez says his only bad matchups are sim and chun but they're still very winnable

But he's a grappler autist so ymmv

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
grappler autist

Kwilty
May 31, 2011

For the OP there's a nice set of super beginner informational tutorials out by Capcom for a couple of the characters. I went ahead and put them all in a playlist (for some reason they thought hey lets spread these randomly through our channel).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZGql2q-G1k

Kwilty fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Feb 24, 2016

Hydrocodone
Sep 26, 2007

I have a little trouble with the slightly-delayed-grab option select. I hit it better in training than in matches, like EVERYTHING, and so I've been assuming feeling a bit tense is loving up my timing as usual. But it did make me curious, does the way they handle lag mean you need to hit things on time or a bit ahead of time?

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

In SF4 I played about 8 characters all very poorly so I wanted to just commit to one character and actually get competent before branching out. I picked Gief and while I'm having lots of fun with him and his weird pokes and high damage, Chun, Cammy and Sim all feel very fun and probably better overall, so I'm thinking I should play one of them instead. I also think Ryu is really neat and cool in this game but I don't want to be part of the stupid Ryu army. Should I go on a spirit journey to solve my character crisis?

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008
Hey cams, I believe Laura beats Gief, how come you don't think so? It feels like charged fireball fucks his poo poo up.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.

Jmcrofts posted:

Whiffing normals can be good because it makes the opponent unable to walk forward without getting hit. Though obviously the slower a normal is (and how predictable you are with using it), the more likely you are to get whiff punished.

I'm going to be doing this. If you get hit, it's your own fault.

Okay, then I'm going to start kicking air like this.

...and if any part of you should fill that air, It's your own fault.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Help Im Alive posted:

Maybe cams just wants to prove that he can be good at the game with arguably the worst character on the roster?

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

I sat down for my first extended online session on ranked/casual today since the betas and did pretty well, going 13-4. I'm now sitting comfortably at the 1250-1300lp range and I'm quite sure I can do better than that.

I practiced a few offensive setups with Necalli and drilled my meaty timing, which I think helped a lot. I'm finding that you HAVE to pressure on wakeup with Necalli, it's pretty much all that he's got. Meaty cr.hp is extremely good, and you can cancel into medium stomps for a frame trap or light stomps for a blockstring. It loses to invincible reversals, as does the medium stomp cancel, but it works really well and the newbie Ryus don't seem to realize that heavy shoryuken doesn't have invincibility like medium does so I'm getting a lot of crush counters with it.

So far I'm thinking that Necalli is going to be a very matchup-dependant character, maybe moreso than a lot of the cast. I've been dunking all over Ken, Ryu and Vega like crazy, as well as bad Laura (although good ones have better close-in mixups) and bad Fangs, of which there are more than good Fangs. I can't do anything useful against Nash though, I don't know how to fight against Bison and I fall for dumb Karin overheads almost every time. I suspect Vega is actually a pretty even matchup for him, but the ones I'm playing against don't have very good footsies.

I think I need to delve deeper into other characters' frame data to figure out what is and isn't punishable for Nash and Bison. I've started with Nash and noticed that super will punish a blocked f+HP from him from any range, so that's a start, but Bison is a complete mystery to me. Does anybody have any tips on how to deal with him? I tried to dp him when he was in v-trigger and he stomped on my head in midair and killed me. It looked cool but I'd rather not have it happen again.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

dhamster posted:

Lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

dhamster posted:

This works remarkably well.