Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Collateral Damage posted:

I'm honestly surprised MapQuest is still around.

It's actually not horrible anymore, as near as I can tell it's feature equal to google maps. It just gets ignored because everyone defaults to google.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Bob Morales posted:

Is there a posterboy for Azure like NetFlix for Amazon's service?

Apple's iCloud uses Azure.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

MrMoo posted:

Apple's iCloud uses Azure.

Yeah, but it's not advertised anywhere, and I'm sure Apple makes sure MS can't talk about it.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
loving Vmware. I am updating a host with the latest ESXI patches and for some reason after rebooting of one it can no longer be contacted by VCenter. Other hosts have gone through this process without issue and nope, this one destroys itself every time. Rolling back works, but re-installing the patches borks it again. I am almost tempted to re-install ESXI but gently caress it, this host is just going unpatched.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Sickening posted:

loving Vmware. I am updating a host with the latest ESXI patches and for some reason after rebooting of one it can no longer be contacted by VCenter. Other hosts have gone through this process without issue and nope, this one destroys itself every time. Rolling back works, but re-installing the patches borks it again. I am almost tempted to re-install ESXI but gently caress it, this host is just going unpatched.

I had a host like that, turned out to be a hardware issue that simply wasn't exposed in an earlier version of ESXi. Check the patches to see if any drivers are being updated, and maybe remediate the host one patch at a time to see which one triggers it? Also, check to make sure the firmware for the host is up to date, ESXi is much more sensitive to that than anything else I've encountered.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

xzzy posted:

It's actually not horrible anymore, as near as I can tell it's feature equal to google maps. It just gets ignored because everyone defaults to google.

And everyone defaulted to Google because Mapquest sucked rear end. Last time I used them was a few years ago for a road trip, the directions looked sketchy so I used Google instead. Google took me right to my location, Mapquest said the same location was like a half hour across town, both using my home address as the starting point. Mapquest may not be as bad now, but they were poo poo for long enough that fixing their problems now is a moot point, especially with smartphone GPS nowadays.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
One engineer here wrote a library wrapper around JDBC stuff even though we're using Spring because he loves to reinvent wheels. Found this nice method signature for calling some sql:
code:
public abstract java.lang.Object call(java.lang.Object... objects)
Thanks rear end in a top hat. I guess I'll just throw in every permutation of every god drat object I can think of until it works during runtime. Cherry on top is that it's all Groovy which means it decompiles into poo poo when you try to pop it open. No javadocs either or comments in his code.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Ozz81 posted:

And everyone defaulted to Google because Mapquest sucked rear end. Last time I used them was a few years ago for a road trip, the directions looked sketchy so I used Google instead. Google took me right to my location, Mapquest said the same location was like a half hour across town, both using my home address as the starting point. Mapquest may not be as bad now, but they were poo poo for long enough that fixing their problems now is a moot point, especially with smartphone GPS nowadays.

Google should be even more cemented in now that they own Waze. That app is magic, the estimated times are scary accurate.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Super Slash posted:

lol disaster recovery meetings

So we decided to dredge out the old unfinished business continuity document and have a meeting to bring it up to spec, director peaced out despite hogging the room making us wait 40 minutes to even start.

Discussions were had which basically boiled down to again me writing the thing, when everyone was ready to leave I dropped that there was a list of issues that would need to be dealt with to even begin to uphold this plan.

Among them was the fact we don't have proper backup Internet connectivity;

:v: "But don't we have that BT line?"
:eng101: "Well yeah but that's a 7mbps DSL line, it just wouldn't cut it"
:v: "So what's the problem?"
:eng101: "Well best practice would be to run two connections from different providers for redundancy"
:v: "But our provider has been pretty good right?"
:eng101: "And what if something knocks the connection dead? say the receiver dish on the roof gets destroyed because of severe weather?"
:v: "Ha ha ha you think of too many things that's just silly"
:eng99: "I'm just stating the facts, the importance of having a running business is up to you"

:lol: I love stuff like this, a former client of mine from a previous job acted the same way (only it came from a board of directors that didn't want to spend money)

:v: After the last storm knocked out power and fried some equipment, I highly suggest a better UPS, maybe a backup generator, and sending your server data offsite for redundancy
:downs: I'll run it by the board of directors, they make all the decisions.
:v: Alright, just bear in mind if you have another serious disaster like this, you could literally lose EVERYTHING.
:downs: Well last time you and <other engineer> helped get us back and running again!
:v: Yes we did, because it was an emergency situation that required all hands on deck. Moving forward, if this happens again, it'll be considered a project to rebuild your infrastructure.
:downs: But WHY you did it this time for <x time and money> and and...
:v: ...and I spent almost an entire weekend getting your stuff working again, I worked 8 days straight with no time off. Not happening again.

*a week passes*

:downs: The board shot down the ideas for offsite backups, a bigger UPS and any backup generator because of cost.
:v: So you plan to keep using USB drives for backups, on site, without saving them elsewhere for emergency.
:downs: It was too much for the monthly backup plan and sending data offsite and a new backup device and...
:v: The cost of losing everything and business being down for several days will far exceed the cost of backups and power protection.
:downs: We'll take our chances I guess

Thank gently caress I don't work with them or for that old company any more. So many tightwad clients that didn't want to spend money yet wanted us to MacGyver a solution together in the cheapest way possible. I'm gonna laugh if that place gets hit by a storm again and they have to rebuild the facility.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
Sounds like you trained them that it only costs $X to recover.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well in a sane environment the first incident is "free" to get the place to a point where they're treading water, followed up by a month of debriefings and root cause analysis before someone comes up with a scheme to prevent it from ever happening again.

Usually by swinging all the way to the other extreme, requiring so much redundancy and red tape that no one can actually get anything done.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Gounads posted:

Sounds like you trained them that it only costs $X to recover.

The trick there is to put a proposal together with three options, the good option, the okay option, and the stupid option. Be sure to make the stupid option so abhorrent that nobody, no matter how retarded would choose it. Framing is key here. Include cash flows and lost profit in the downtime calcs and suddenly the stupid option that takes a week to get back up and online looks even more stupid.

Good option: N+1 UPS, offsite backups, genset.
Okay option: Good quality double conversion UPS and inline surge protector, offsite backups.

Stupid option: Keep everything the same and we'll charge you 50 hours billable time to completely rebuild your systems from scratch and $4000 to get the drive recovered by drivesavers. And then you get to find a new MSP because we told you so and don't like redoing work because your cheapass board refuses to spend money.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

HPE know my location - it's saved with my support profile and also happens to be the place where the kit is registered to.

So why the gently caress do they try calling me at 00:30 local time to give me a routine ticket update?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Happens to me all the loving time, though generally around 5 or 6 am. Even when I specify in my ticket that I want to be contacted by email.

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
poo poo that's pissing me off: collegues that call me over as soon as I walk into the door. Just give me two minutes to take my coat off and put my bags down, FFS! Usually it's for something minor, too.

Also, collegues that call directly to my cell phone before trying my desk phone. I'm taking PTO today, rear end in a top hat!
Pissing me off even more are collegues that call my cell after the reception tells them I'm not in the office today.

sixth and maimed fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Feb 24, 2016

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
^ I'm in my civvies, got my backpack and sunnies on. Walking briskly towards the exit, I hear "before you go, how do I print a zip file?"

I could pretend I don't hear them. I could just run for it.

It's useless. They have me. God drat.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Swink posted:

^ I'm in my civvies, got my backpack and sunnies on. Walking briskly towards the exit, I hear "before you go, how do I print a zip file?"

I could pretend I don't hear them. I could just run for it.

It's useless. They have me. God drat.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

lodewijk posted:

poo poo that's pissing me off: collegues that call me over as soon as I walk into the door. Just give me two minutes to take my coat off and put my bags down, FFS!

And, uh, recover from the concussion? :shobon:

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

feedmegin posted:

And, uh, recover from the concussion? :shobon:

I do it to numb myself from the idiocy of users. ;)

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

From the files of 'call anyone but IT for IT help'

To: SOMEONE NOT IN THE IT DEPARTMENT
Subject: Email

Hi
I had to get a new
On vacation and I can't get my
Email.....
get me
Steps to
Get
It on my
iPhone
I just need to monitor it can you find out if anyone can email me How to update my work email on phone thanks

Sent from my iPhone

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
Try changing a contact for a incident!

I opened a case with HP, and then gave it to one of the JR guys to handle. They refused to call him and kept calling me.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I know someone had asked for a catch-up megapost but frankly I'm too burned out to spew out all the terrible crap I've put up with over the last year.

This week the office manager has started a new harassment campaign: turning my A/C off when I step away from my office. Our offices are next to one another but he and I are on separate HVAC loops and we each have our own thermostat. Works great, first time I've ever had my own thermostat and it's necessary due to the amazing amount of sun we get on our side of the building. In the afternoon the A/C barely can keep up, and if you turn it off you never will. Starting Monday if I leave my office for more than 20 minutes I come back to find he's turned the control wheel to the top, turning off the A/C. No one else sits in our corner of the building and I doubt anyone else hates me enough to put so much effort into this. I leave work before him so he turns it off after I go, making sure that my office is cooking when I arrive in the morning.

So this evening before I leave I'm going to smear hand lotion on the control wheel. It's a small thing but I don't have any other options. Maybe it will annoy him or gross him out.

Next week I'll have been here for a year, and two weeks from now will be the one year anniversary of the last status meeting I had with my boss. It will also be the one year anniversary of the last meeting I had with the CEO. They were both supposed to meet with me together every two weeks but after the beginning of March 2015 they would just cancel the meeting week after week until they finally stopped scheduling it.

Although the CEO contacts me about once every two months to yell about problems with his iPhone I've received no feedback for the entire year. No positives, no negatives. Nothing. On the few occasions my boss or the CEO speak with me it's entirely one direction, even if they ask me a question like when they're having a tech issue. They never let me finish a sentence. Never.

So I've been invisible except when there's a problem. It struck me that I can't remember the last time someone I worked for said something like "Good job" or "keep up the good work" or something to that effect. The most minor of positive comments. At the same time I also don't get any constructive feedback. It's just... nothing. Probably 2003 was the last time I had a boss that now and then would say something encouraging. He was a good guy that had my back and didn't treat me like an appliance. I'm really weary of being an appliance.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Appliance is showing signs of abnormal behavior. Recommend rebooting or replacing.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Where do you find such wonderful places to work?

It sounds like you have enough experience to get at least a few interviews per job hunting round. What kind of questions are you asking at interviews? Are you investigating companies before joining them? Or is it just the desperate want of leaving your current company that makes you jump at any job offer that seems halfway decent without continuing the hunt for something even better?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Where do you find such wonderful places to work?

It sounds like you have enough experience to get at least a few interviews per job hunting round. What kind of questions are you asking at interviews? Are you investigating companies before joining them? Or is it just the desperate want of leaving your current company that makes you jump at any job offer that seems halfway decent without continuing the hunt for something even better?

All I can do is assure you that I'm not crazy. I do investigate the companies. I don't take the first thing that comes my way. I am alert for signs of any of the horrible bullshit that's cursed my working life. I check out Glassdoor, I look to see what other positions they might be hiring for, how long they've been open. I grilled the recruiter that I worked with and all he could tell me was that they were slow to make decisions. He wasn't kidding. I refer to the corner where my boss and the CEO sit as "The place where decisions go to die."

EDIT: Having either worked in small companies or larger companies where I was locked out of responsibility by someone like Tony I agree that I've been painted into a corner. My higher level practical skills have evaporated due to lack of use and without actual I.T. staff to provide that my only option are companies that are committed to having an MSP provide the skills while I bring the oversight, strategy, etc.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Feb 24, 2016

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Dick Trauma posted:

All I can do is assure you that I'm not crazy. I do investigate the companies. I don't take the first thing that comes my way. I am alert for signs of any of the horrible bullshit that's cursed my working life. I check out Glassdoor, I look to see what other positions they might be hiring for, how long they've been open. I grilled the recruiter that I worked with and all he could tell me was that they were slow to make decisions. He wasn't kidding. I refer to the corner where my boss and the CEO sit as "The place where decisions go to die."

Your type of role just seems like a niche thing from my point of view. You are basically a highly paid, solo desktop support person. I just can't fathom how anybody would be happy performing that role and the level of social skills required to keep the kind of people you support happy. I feel like your job is such a high level of % politics that it would only make sense if you had people under you.

I do wish you a lot of luck finding a place you would be happy working at though. I am rooting for you.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Dick Trauma posted:

refer to the corner where my boss and the CEO sit as "The place where decisions go to die."

Ah yes. Okay you want approval before spending any money no matter how small we need an additional office365 account because you hired someone else.
"Let me think about it"
It's $12/month it's less then 25cents /day
"It adds up, it's a lot of money"
We can cancel tomorrow and pay the only for the single day
"Just give me a list of everyone with email"
*3 weeks later*
"Increase the license count by 1 %user% needs an email"
*1 week later*
"terminate %user%'s account we fired them"

Oh okay, but you plan on replacing them and don't wan to decrease the license count now because their replacement will use it. So aggravating when it's something so small.

Need a new production label or sublimation printer for $10k+? No problem. That's resolved in a week after getting a quote for repairs and realizing a new one is 10 times faster then your 20 year old piece of junk and only 20% more expensive.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Because Bill is being such a dick right now I'll recount a story that indicates why I think he's such a low-down ratfucker.

Like Tony, with people he thinks are important he's a relentless kiss-rear end. He's so servile before the CEO and the CEO's family and friends I find it revolting. But with people he thinks don't matter (like me) he can be a terror.

Our two offices are in the small lobby area. There's no receptionist. Who knows why. There's a sign that says "Welcome. Please dial '0' for assistance." Visitors and delivery people often blow right past the sign searching for someone to talk to.

A few months ago a messenger walked in and went right through the lobby and past my door. He was an elderly asian guy, and I saw him standing in front of Bill's door looking confused. He called out "Excuse me?" and Bill boomed "Do you not read?"

The man was speaking haltingly because he was confused and didn't seem to have good English skills. He got a few words out to the effect that he had a letter for someone and didn't know where to go but Bill shouted again "DO YOU NOT READ? THE SIGN? DO YOU NOT- OH never mind.

I hear Bill get up from his desk and he snatches the letter from the guy and sits back down. The messenger holds out his clipboard.

Messenger: "Can I get name? I need-"
Bill: "Yo mama."
Messenger: (mumbles a little, not understanding)
Bill: Yo. Mama.

The messenger nodded and left.

I was so goddamn disgusted by his behavior. My life has been liberally seasoned with these lovely people who turn everything into a display of dominance, the weaker the victim the better, while at the same time they are beloved by the people at the top. After Bill verbally attacked me last year my boss had the nerve to tell me that he has "excellent customer service, the best I've ever seen."

There are reasons I think most people are terrible.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Feb 24, 2016

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Find a delivery driver with rage issues at the end of his rope. Arrange for him to give your boss a package on a day you're out of the office.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Dick Trauma posted:

Because Bill is being such a dick

I think you need to start taking advice from your avatar

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

"Hey IT, we just bought this 20k printer and we need help getting it configured for our network." "Don't worry about the cable run, its already taken care of."

This is just one of the 3 office doorways that this cord is run across of. Yes, that is black tape. No, we weren't consulted for a 20k IT purchase.

Today is a fun day.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica
Re: AzureChat. The last company I worked at was going to use Azure as it's cloud solution. This was because all of the customers they did work for considered themselves direct competitors to Amazon & didn't like the thought of us giving them money.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Sickening posted:

"Hey IT, we just bought this 20k printer and we need help getting it configured for our network." "Don't worry about the cable run, its already taken care of."

This is just one of the 3 office doorways that this cord is run across of. Yes, that is black tape. No, we weren't consulted for a 20k IT purchase.

Today is a fun day.

I like the convenient foot-catching loop pre-configured to trip someone and break their neck.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Sickening posted:

Today is a fun day.

That's a network cable? gently caress sake

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

Sickening posted:

Today is a fun day.

You know, I'm doing a floor cable run in my apartment (for 2 cables passing 1 hallway, nothing major) and I actually took the time to buy one of those rubber cable concealers. It might just be me, but...

oh who am I kidding this is still really stupid.

Also, I barely recognized you with your new avatar.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Migishu posted:

Also, I barely recognized you with your new avatar.
Yeah, I kinda miss Walter.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Greatbacon posted:

Re: AzureChat. The last company I worked at was going to use Azure as it's cloud solution. This was because all of the customers they did work for considered themselves direct competitors to Amazon & didn't like the thought of us giving them money.

Azure is fine :dunno: Use whatever cloud provider works for you - Azure works really nicely if you're trying to get enterprise workloads off-site. If you're making webapps then fair enough, stick to AWS.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
I wish the portal wasn't a huge clusterfuck. Powershell is the way to go of course, but still.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Can't argue with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Dick Trauma posted:

So this evening before I leave I'm going to smear hand lotion on the control wheel. It's a small thing but I don't have any other options.