Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dred_furst
Nov 19, 2007

"Hey look, I'm flying a giant dong"

Ad by Khad posted:

Absolutely destroyed one of the biggest traffic problems I've had in weeks. Junctioned timed traffic lights are cool and all, but I never considered they could go on freaking ROUNDABOUTS.

This cobbled together frankenstein works pretty well.

Started with a basic Morrack's sunken interchange off the workshop. When that failed I added timed lights. When that failed I added a separate road for right turners coming from the top. When that failed I hooked in a couple more separate roads. When all that failed I switched to an elevated roundabout. When that failed I started adding timed lights to the roundabout. When that failed I junctioned the two lights on the right side together so oncoming traffic from the bottom can get through that weak spot on the lower right of the roundabout where there isn't enough distance between intersections. When that failed I changed the top's separate road to a Toronto-style collector highway that branches off so right-turners can skip the roundabout. Problem solved.

This is why I play Cities.

You probably want less lanes in some places, more in others:

Having less off ramp lanes means you don't have so many lanes on the roundabouts dedicated to people exiting and more dedicated to people trying to traverse the roundabout. Having an equal number (or nearly equal number) of lanes on the enterance to the roundabout means that when traffic joins, a large volume can do it at once, rather than trickle feeding it.

By making sure the lanes are continuous, or a lot more consistant, with stacking lanes at the end, you reduce cars weaving and merging at difficult spots causing congestion. Especially with traffic manager's advanced AI, this is a real issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
The city skylines wiki States that metro station orientation counts in terms of whether cims use it or not. Does that mean if I have a T style layout, the cims at the bottom of the T will never use it to travel to the tip edges of the T.

This is very confusing if so, how would I get them to use it if ever?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

MikeC posted:

The city skylines wiki States that metro station orientation counts in terms of whether cims use it or not. Does that mean if I have a T style layout, the cims at the bottom of the T will never use it to travel to the tip edges of the T.

This is very confusing if so, how would I get them to use it if ever?

I'm not 100% sure I understand the question, but does the station have sidewalk access? Is there a metro route stopping at the station? If yes, it will be used. Cims are happy to transfer between routes as well. I always try to make my metro systems allow anyone to transfer to any other line with only 1 transfer, people absolutely start one one line and transfer over to other lines to finish their trip.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
I left this game alone for a few months and now that I've come back to it I'm kind of drowning in mods. What are the ones that are seen as pretty much vital these days? Does anyone have any building sets that are really awesome looking for people that like semi-futuristic lookin' sets?

Are the expansions required or can you still get away with the base game?

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

Sion posted:

Are the expansions required or can you still get away with the base game?

Expansions are not required. The day/night cycle was a free update. Rain/Fog was also a free update. Afterdark is underwhelming. I don't have Snowfall and probably won't get it until a Steam sale has it on sale.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The only good thing in afterdark are bikes, and the only good part of the snow DLC are trams. If you can do without bikes and are ok using mods for trams, don't bother with them.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

Dred_furst posted:

You probably want less lanes in some places, more in others:

Having less off ramp lanes means you don't have so many lanes on the roundabouts dedicated to people exiting and more dedicated to people trying to traverse the roundabout. Having an equal number (or nearly equal number) of lanes on the enterance to the roundabout means that when traffic joins, a large volume can do it at once, rather than trickle feeding it.

By making sure the lanes are continuous, or a lot more consistant, with stacking lanes at the end, you reduce cars weaving and merging at difficult spots causing congestion. Especially with traffic manager's advanced AI, this is a real issue.

This is good advice, and I tried a number of different lane setups. Unfortunately I reached a point where merging was simply impossible in many places because of the high volume, and so I fixed that by adding traffic lights to the roundabout (and eventually to the outbound highways). Any place in the interchange where two sources of traffic met at the same time became a horror show, sometimes due to lane issues like you said but sometimes just due to sheer volume. I also fixed some of the weaving problems by changing the northbound exit to a left-lane exit, as weird as that may sound. By using a timed traffic light instead of merging, you can then use more lanes which boosts the throughput considerably. Putting timed lights on the highway exits allowed me to use 3-laners as offramps, meaning a lot more trucks can get through. 1-laners merge well but didn't carry enough volume, 2-laners carry more volume but don't merge as well, so I stopped the merging entirely.

Basically I'm at the point with this interchange where real-world solutions seem to break down, and weird voodoo ideas that would never work in real life become effective.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

IAmTheRad posted:

Expansions are not required. The day/night cycle was a free update. Rain/Fog was also a free update. Afterdark is underwhelming. I don't have Snowfall and probably won't get it until a Steam sale has it on sale.

Okay. Did anyone work out a way to make traffic not become a total poo poo show 4-5 hours into building a city

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
But I thought that was the game? Every other part of the city simulation is completely trivial, making sure traffic is smooth is the only planning challenge for zone placement and roads I thought.

King Faraday
May 22, 2009

These are all harvested from this thread somewhere, but here are some useful articles on that;
- The Beginner's Guide to Traffic (includes some demo assets)
- Guide for better train usage

I've found this crib sheet useful too;

The first of those links also showed me this, which I thought was genius after cargo loving myself a few times by being excited by hooking in external rail links.

Dred_furst
Nov 19, 2007

"Hey look, I'm flying a giant dong"

Sion posted:

Okay. Did anyone work out a way to make traffic not become a total poo poo show 4-5 hours into building a city

use modern randabahts
No really, the ai is pretty unglitchy with them with traffic manager installed, I'm not sure how they are in the stock game but I hear they are pretty okay
The main trick is to not stop the vehicles and get the vehicles off of the roundabout as quickly as possible. This is at the main enterance to my city:

About 30% of my traffic turns left here, just under 179 cars planned:

Then again about 60% of the traffic goes straight over, not stopping.

And 6% to go right...

but that 30% is not an insignificant number. The main reason this thing isn't a clusterfuck is because it's pretty large and cars can queue quite easily to get on/off of it.
If a roundabout doesn't cut it, you're probably after a stack interchange or variant thereof.

Afterdark
Sep 27, 2006
I did a clear out of all the mods that I had before the update and subscribed to the ones recommended a few pages ago. Mostly got active the ones that people consider essential and the ones from that post, nothing too serious apart from traffic ++ but I suddenly got a problem.
No cars leave the police buildings, the number flickers from 0 to 1 but nothing comes out and as a result crime sky rockets on new maps. On existing maps the police stations act normally and the number of cars in use rise and fall.
It's only on new maps, has anyone else come across this?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Oh my gently caress can I make a google map of my city?!??!?

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

gently caress... I've somehow managed to brick the game so that now whenever I try to save the game just hangs on saving but never manages to do it. I only filled one tile! :(

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The solution to traffic a lot of people have is to just use a traffic manager to remove lights.

The problem is, the game doesn't simulate congestion problems at free intersections. The reason they refuse to add that feature into the base game as it works now is that it's basically cheating; it lets you make a perfect congestion-free intersection. The holdup of the lights is, in the game's traffic model, meant to be the stand-in representative for the delay you get from any kind of busy intersection, lighted or not.

If they did add the ability to remove traffic lights they'd only do it alongside adding merge congestion; at which point the intersections would become basically just as bad. And then the traffic would be about the same as it is now, except with added UI and design complexity. You gain nothing and confuse early players with the option.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Feb 24, 2016

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Baronjutter posted:

I'm not 100% sure I understand the question, but does the station have sidewalk access? Is there a metro route stopping at the station? If yes, it will be used. Cims are happy to transfer between routes as well. I always try to make my metro systems allow anyone to transfer to any other line with only 1 transfer, people absolutely start one one line and transfer over to other lines to finish their trip.

This is the relevant section

quote:

The orientation of Metro stations matters. The Metro station must be oriented in the direction the citizens wish to go. For example: If you build an industrial district to the west of a residential district and you wish to connect them with a Metro line, both stations must be oriented east/west. If you place a station such that the station's tracks are north/south then it will be completely ignored, even if the tracks curve to connect to the two stations. If you find that nobody is using your metro system, take a look at the orientation of your stations and make sure they are pointed in roughly the direction that the intended passengers would like to go.

I have really found no other reference for this anywhere else but its in the wiki.

Theroetical example

Would someone from the south east corner of the system take that metro to get to the north east corner. What about SE corner to NW corner?

I really wish there was a tool where you could just click on a stop and see the trips that are emerging to and from that particular stop like SC4 had

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Oscar Romeo Romeo posted:

gently caress... I've somehow managed to brick the game so that now whenever I try to save the game just hangs on saving but never manages to do it. I only filled one tile! :(

Please help me chaps. I have a map I started yesterday, still on the forst tile with not much filled in yet. There have been multiple saves while working on the beginnings of this city and everything has been fine. Now whenever I hit save the game just hangs. It doesn't freeze. I can still move the camera around but the game is still 'saving' and I can't change any options or open a new menu. I've force quite the game and tried immediatly saving on load to see what happens... the same thing. I've left the game a good ten minutes while it says its saving and no joy. Playing on a 2011 Mac Pro with Intel Xeon and 24gb RAM so I'm a tad confused as to why this issue has suddenly occurred. No new mods installed since the last save. Surely it can't be a corrupt save file as it loads perfectly fine?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

MikeC posted:

This is the relevant section

I have really found no other reference for this anywhere else but its in the wiki.

Theroetical example

Would someone from the south east corner of the system take that metro to get to the north east corner. What about SE corner to NW corner?

I really wish there was a tool where you could just click on a stop and see the trips that are emerging to and from that particular stop like SC4 had

I would be pretty shocked if this ends up being true. Like I believe that the wiki says it but I've never worried about this before and my metros get heavy use.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I think the implication is that when cims are deciding on route, they look for metro stations near the origin and destination that are roughly pointing at each other. Then if that checks, they pathfind through the system.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Can anyone recommend some decent looking pre-made off ramps?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I always use actual cross-over metro stations rather than trying to jam multiple lines together with the vanilla stations when lines cross over, the cims absolutely use them in any configuration to get where they need to go. Get some cross over stations.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Thank you for this, I'm just picking it up again with Snowfall out and this is exactly the kind of poo poo I need.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

Baronjutter posted:

I always use actual cross-over metro stations rather than trying to jam multiple lines together with the vanilla stations when lines cross over, the cims absolutely use them in any configuration to get where they need to go. Get some cross over stations.
[/

[quote="Baronjutter" post="456677448"]

You mean like a station with multiple rail lines with their own platforms, right? What mod do you use for that?

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

How do I make cities good :(
I keep just slapping down whatever, wherever as needed, and people seem happy to a point, but the game is clearly a lot deeper than the early parts suggest. How do I road good, what services are worth while, and how the hell does industry work?

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

MikeJF posted:

The solution to traffic a lot of people have is to just use a traffic manager to remove lights.

The problem is, the game doesn't simulate congestion problems at free intersections. The reason they refuse to add that feature into the base game as it works now is that it's basically cheating; it lets you make a perfect congestion-free intersection. The holdup of the lights is, in the game's traffic model, meant to be the stand-in representative for the delay you get from any kind of busy intersection, lighted or not.

If they did add the ability to remove traffic lights they'd only do it alongside adding merge congestion; at which point the intersections would become basically just as bad. And then the traffic would be about the same as it is now, except with added UI and design complexity. You gain nothing and confuse early players with the option.

Get enough volume merging at the same time and there absolutely is congestion as everyone cuts off everyone else. It's true that Traffic Manager is mostly just used to axe traffic lights but then there are the heaviest intersections where you need to add traffic lights back. What separates Traffic Manager from the older mods that would just cut out traffic lights is the ability to time and coordinate the lights you do have, and this makes them work a hell of a lot better than the vanilla traffic lights that change way too fast.

TM lets you do crazy wizard poo poo. Make a traffic light where the north-south gets a left-turn only green for 8 seconds, then straight traffic for 15 seconds, then eastbound only for 10 seconds, then westbound for 4. This takes like five minutes to set up and blows vanilla's mechanics out of the water. Then you start coordinating traffic lights, so let's say you make the four traffic lights on your main drag go green at the same time and stay green for as long as you want. Make traffic lights that only allow pedestrians to cross when you want them to, instead of going everywhere and blocking traffic. Make working yield and stop signs. Control your lane arrows so spots that need a double-turning lane get one or spots that shouldn't be able to turn left/right cannot do so.

Not only does it give you way finer control of your traffic, but it also lets you keep lights green for much longer than vanilla. Vanilla's short green phases just ends up in a lot of blocked traffic.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

super fart shooter posted:

You mean like a station with multiple rail lines with their own platforms, right? What mod do you use for that?

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=502665431&searchtext=
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=489630720&searchtext=
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=454379736&searchtext=

Here's some reasonable ones.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Oscar Romeo Romeo posted:

Please help me chaps. I have a map I started yesterday, still on the forst tile with not much filled in yet. There have been multiple saves while working on the beginnings of this city and everything has been fine. Now whenever I hit save the game just hangs. It doesn't freeze. I can still move the camera around but the game is still 'saving' and I can't change any options or open a new menu. I've force quite the game and tried immediatly saving on load to see what happens... the same thing. I've left the game a good ten minutes while it says its saving and no joy. Playing on a 2011 Mac Pro with Intel Xeon and 24gb RAM so I'm a tad confused as to why this issue has suddenly occurred. No new mods installed since the last save. Surely it can't be a corrupt save file as it loads perfectly fine?

Did you add any new assets to the map before the issue started? Which map are you having this issue on?

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

Destroyed another traffic snarl with traffic manager wizardry. People were asking earlier in the thread for examples of traffic problems and how they got solved and I can break this one down nicely.

I had a standard 4-way stop at the entrance of one of my towns. Heavy traffic from north and south mostly going straight, but also moderate traffic from the sides as well. I tried using a traffic light but it just wasn't happening, and with limited space I couldn't add much in the way of separate roads.

So I made a small 3-lane roundabout and put traffic lights on it. Four of them. I also added separate exit roads for north and southbound with the limited space I did have.

The traffic lights are all connected together and have 3 steps to them.

Step one: North-south traffic is allowed to enter the roundabout for 16 seconds. Because of the exit roads, they can also exit the roundabout without waiting for the light to change.

Step two: East-west traffic is allowed to enter for 8 seconds. East-west traffic does not have exit roads and has to wait, but there aren't enough of them for this to be a problem.

Step three: No traffic can enter the roundabout for 7 seconds. This clears out the roundabout enough that when step one starts again, north-south can freely enter-exit without getting stopped.

Problem solved.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Le0 posted:

So I didnt buy the expansion yet but I've been playing my old city from before the patch and all of a sudden I noticed crime was at 60% and continuing to climb.
Any idea what could cause this? Same thing for crematoriums...

I think high unemployment now increases crime rate, that might be it?

I have also noticed higher crime rate then before the patch, so they did something.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

CLAM DOWN posted:

Oh my gently caress can I make a google map of my city?!??!?
Kind of?

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=416064574

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

I wish traffic lights had turning separate turning phases by default, so I didn't need to add them by hand with traffic manager.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

The new one is here- https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=416064574

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Where's that tunnel on the bottom left coming from?

Also, is anyone else having a CTD problem when quitting the game? I can quit to desktop no problem, but if I quit to main menu the game crashes. It's been doing this since Snowfall dropped.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Also, is anyone else having a CTD problem when quitting the game? I can quit to desktop no problem, but if I quit to main menu the game crashes. It's been doing this since Snowfall dropped.

Yep same thing is happening for me. It's pretty annoying if I want to mess with mods and stuff.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

It's been doing that for me since AD dropped, at least. I resigned myself to CTDs a long time ago.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Please post more pretty city pictures, this thread def needs more of that!

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Right on. At least it's not me. Small comfort.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

CLAM DOWN posted:

Please post more pretty city pictures, this thread def needs more of that!
The little burgs continue to grow into each other:

For some reason the game is slowly down significantly, and I'm not altogether sure why. I haven't added any major new gameplay mods recently, I don't even have traffic manager running, but the game is noticeably slowing down even before the city hits the 50k mark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Holy moly, I thought this was a real photo for a second. It pretty much looks like an area by my college from the air, haha.