Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Flesh Forge posted:

Oh, this.

I guess I see her point in gloating but imo his path is way better (fusion power to make fossil fuels obsolete vs. domestic disturbance patrol)

I really hate defending this comic, but exactly how is Alison suited to making fusion power a reality? Or is this the "fix our problems down here" argument modified for STEM worshippers? Both are useful things. Domestic violence is a problem. Global warming is a problem. Different people are suited to different problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Alison actually has tremendous social leverage (she had much more before she decided to wear jeans and be a college student) and chooses not to employ that at all, whether because the author has a blind spot or has just chosen to depict what he's depicting. There are many things that she could accomplish with that leverage, things that could change our society in a more impactful way than being basically a police person and doing strictly physical things :shrug: It's early in the chapter though.

e: although depicting your super strong characters making PSAs and poo poo would probably not be all that exciting to look at in a comic book however interesting I might think the concept is

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Feb 24, 2016

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Warmachine posted:

I really hate defending this comic, but exactly how is Alison suited to making fusion power a reality?

She can punch atoms until they merge.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Cat Mattress posted:

She can talk at atoms until they merge off-panel because she's so right and they're so wrong.

ftfy

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Flesh Forge posted:

Alison actually has tremendous social leverage (she had much more before she decided to wear jeans and be a college student) and chooses not to employ that at all, whether because the author has a blind spot or has just chosen to depict what he's depicting. There are many things that she could accomplish with that leverage, things that could change our society in a more impactful way than being basically a police person and doing strictly physical things :shrug: It's early in the chapter though.

e: although depicting your super strong characters making PSAs and poo poo would probably not be all that exciting to look at in a comic book however interesting I might think the concept is

Eh, I'm not sure celebrity endorsements are the answer to all life's problems.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
I briefly forgot that she could fly and I thought that she was about to brutally murder Hector via goomba stomp. It was funny as hell and I'm mad that they went for an appropriate and fun way instead.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Tenebrais posted:

Eh, I'm not sure celebrity endorsements are the answer to all life's problems.

I mean more in the way of political activism :shrug: actually I can visualize some pretty good gags like filming her bending railroad ties into a giant peace sign or some poo poo. Like the roided up dudes who rip phone books in half for Jesus at some weirder church rallies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIXeKMTdVws

e: and in case it gets forgotten again, I've already been saying there is nothing at all wrong with Alison's current goal of being Strong Female Police Person, it's a good goal :shrug:

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Feb 24, 2016

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Warmachine posted:

I really hate defending this comic, but exactly how is Alison suited to making fusion power a reality? Or is this the "fix our problems down here" argument modified for STEM worshippers? Both are useful things. Domestic violence is a problem. Global warming is a problem. Different people are suited to different problems.

super strength and invulnerability: less useful for high-energy research and massive construction projects than for running a call center

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Things we know about the SFP Universe:
  • A bunch of people mysteriously gained superpowers in a very suspicious way and we don't know why.
  • Aliison pals around with a literal supervillain who, for the most part, isn't really all that reformed.
  • There's a shadowy organization killing and/or abducting heroes who make too much noise.
  • There's a serial killer with super powers roaming around killing people.
  • Governments are still wielding superheroes like the blunt force object at people and situations they don't like.
  • Allison's good friend is being tortured forever to harvest body parts.
  • One of Allison's nemeses turned sorta-friend is dying of super-cancer.
  • Allison is mutating at a suspicious rate.

And more....

And this chapter has been about...

• Drinking coffee
  • Cameos
  • Telling each other how great we are.
  • Dancing on heads.

THIS SURE IS A++ COMICS WRITING, GENTS.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

super strength and invulnerability: less useful for high-energy research and massive construction projects than for running a call center

All evidence suggests that, like plenty of liberal arts majors I know, she's bad at math, and probably doesn't care to bash her (admittedly invulnerable) face into it until she becomes good, like I did. She already does the firefighting thing, so... yeah. There's also the motivation question. I'm sure you've noticed that people who don't want to be at their jobs also tend to perform worse than people who want to be there. Ergo, rather than forcing your humanities major to shift into STEM because her superpower would be great to stand inside a nuclear reactor, have your humanities person do humanities stuff, and your stem person do stem stuff.

Or are we going full on SMBC-Superman here? Because while a funny comic, it's a little... well, it's kinda hosed up. Feral levels of hosed up, actually.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Warmachine posted:

All evidence suggests that, like plenty of liberal arts majors I know, she's bad at math, and probably doesn't care to bash her (admittedly invulnerable) face into it until she becomes good, like I did. She already does the firefighting thing, so... yeah. There's also the motivation question. I'm sure you've noticed that people who don't want to be at their jobs also tend to perform worse than people who want to be there. Ergo, rather than forcing your humanities major to shift into STEM because her superpower would be great to stand inside a nuclear reactor, have your humanities person do humanities stuff, and your stem person do stem stuff.

Or are we going full on SMBC-Superman here? Because while a funny comic, it's a little... well, it's kinda hosed up. Feral levels of hosed up, actually.

'understanding math' doesn't really factor into it, there's tens if not hundreds of thousands of people involved in professionally supporting scientific research who don't have anything beyond a high school education in the subject or any particular interest in pursuing one, self included, most of the work of research and development isn't writing really complicated formulas on blackboards and then stroking your chin at them critically. the basic calculation here is not some utilitarian maximizing-good one or that without a stack of doctorates superman powers will be no use in bringing water to the starving children of the world or whatever, it's that volunteering at a crisis center and doing about as good a job as literally any other adult human with a taser or a pistol makes you A Hero and using your one-of-a-kind physics-defying untrained physical ability at the behest of the nerds who actually understand the plan to save the world makes you a glorified forklift

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Feb 24, 2016

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Toshimo posted:

Don't sell Feral short. Feral chose this. She isn't 'being' tortured - she's torturing herself. She is Shiva, drinking poison to purify the world.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

'understanding math' doesn't really factor into it, there's tens if not hundreds of thousands of people involved in professionally supporting scientific research who don't have anything beyond a high school education in the subject or any particular interest in pursuing one, self included, most of the work of research and development isn't writing really complicated formulas on blackboards and then stroking your chin at them critically. the basic calculation here is not some utilitarian maximizing-good one or that without a stack of doctorates superman powers will be no use in bringing water to the starving children of the world or whatever, it's that volunteering at a crisis center and doing about as good a job as literally any other adult human with a taser or a pistol makes you A Hero and using your one-of-a-kind physics-defying untrained physical ability at the behest of the nerds who actually understand the plan to save the world makes you a glorified forklift

"I'm afraid we'll be deviating a bit from standard analysis procedures today, Allison."
"Yes, but with good reason. This is a rare opportunity for us. This is the purest sample we've seen yet."
"And potentially the most unstable!"
"Oh, if you follow standard insertion procedures, everything will be fine."
"I don't know how you can say that. Although I will admit that the possibility of a resonance cascade scenario is extremely unlikely, I remain uncomfortable with the---"
"Allison doesn't need to hear this. She's a highly trained professional. We have assured the Administrator that nothing will go wrong."
"Ah yes, you're right. Allison, we have complete confidence in you."
"Well, go ahead. Let's let her in now."

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

Yeah, this is something the comic explicitly points out is a flaw of Alison's. I mean, she literally just realized that she can't save the world solo. It would take her a lot longer to get around to the idea that her best chance for saving the world might be to not be in charge of the effort at all.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Warmachine posted:

All evidence suggests that, like plenty of liberal arts majors I know, she's bad at math, and probably doesn't care to bash her (admittedly invulnerable) face into it until she becomes good, like I did.

Except Pintsize was using the fact that he was bad at science as an excuse, and the comic decided to side against him there. That's what Allison's whole head dance is about.

Although, really there should still be a way for superpowered people to do these complex things without doing all the math and theory themselves. Construction workers don't need to understand how to follow the blueprints, and as I understand it, astronauts mostly just follow the instructions of the scientists at NASA as opposed to figuring everything out themselves. You don't have to be reduced into a simple human machine just because you aren't the one calling the shots.

But sure, if her real passion is running a call center or however this whole thing is going to work, so be it. Some people are born with the capacity to see a fourth color, but they don't need to do make use of that for a living, and not all tall people have to play basketball. I just really don't get why she wants to specifically go out and get people with powers to do something that requires no powers to do. You're imposing a weird restriction for no reason.

edit:

Cat Mattress posted:

"I'm afraid we'll be deviating a bit from standard analysis procedures today, Allison."
"Yes, but with good reason. This is a rare opportunity for us. This is the purest sample we've seen yet."
"I don't know how you can say that. Although I will admit that the possibility of a resonance cascade scenario is extremely unlikely, I remain uncomfortable with the---"
"Allison doesn't need to hear this. She's a highly trained professional. We have assured the Administrator that nothing will go wrong."

This is great. You're great.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

that superman comic pretty much covered everything sfp is trying to do in a single strip aside from the incredibly unappealing character portraits, and its point wasn't some Randian poo poo about how doing necessary work that isn't fun is the world enslaving you with its need

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Toshimo posted:

• A bunch of people mysteriously gained superpowers in a very suspicious way and we don't know why.
  • Aliison pals around with a literal supervillain who, for the most part, isn't really all that reformed.
  • There's a shadowy organization killing and/or abducting heroes who make too much noise.
  • Governments are still wielding superheroes like the blunt force object at people and situations they don't like.

And more....

And this chapter has been about...

• Drinking coffee
  • Cameos
  • Telling each other how great we are.
  • Dancing on heads.

THIS SURE IS A++ COMICS WRITING, GENTS.

I actually don't mind what this chapter is doing at all, but yeah there are some really interesting plot hooks that are getting all rusty.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

that superman comic pretty much covered everything sfp is trying to do in a single strip aside from the incredibly unappealing character portraits, and its point wasn't some Randian poo poo about how doing necessary work that isn't fun is the world enslaving you with its need

This comic is not in the least Randian.

The closest it has come is is "a character is upset because doing the most useful work he could be doing is a lot more boring than being a showboating famous superhero like in his precious childhood comics, but eventually relents and then his friend dances on his head in celebration" which is... basically the opposite?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

that was in reference to that other dude itt trying to use it as an example of how evil doing work that isn't all about your gratification is, not the comic.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Feb 24, 2016

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

that was in reference to that other dude itt trying to use it as an example of how evil doing work that isn't all about your gratification is, not the comic.

Oh, sorry! My bad.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Speaking of Daniel they should go back to Daniel because Daniel was pretty cool.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
It's Randian in that it's a sequence of scenes in which two characters speechify at each other, and one of them (usually the protagonist) is Right and the other is Wrong and Dumb, and the rest of the narrative exists largely to set up these scenes, being contradicted or discarded in their service.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I love that you think my point about letting people fill the roles they feel the most satisfaction in because that tends to make them happier and better workers is Randian.

Cat Mattress posted:

I'm pretty glad this came out of this though.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Discendo Vox posted:

It's Randian in that it's a sequence of scenes in which two characters speechify at each other, and one of them (usually the protagonist) is Right and the other is Wrong and Dumb, and the rest of the narrative exists largely to set up these scenes, being contradicted or discarded in their service.

As many problems as I have with this comic this seems like a pretty bad misread given that the entire point of this sequence is that both characters, Pintsize and Allison, were simultaneously wrong (about themselves) and right (about each other).

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I dunno I think aside from this particular couple of pages, that's pretty fair to say about the comic in general.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Flesh Forge posted:

I dunno I think aside from this particular couple of pages, that's pretty fair to say about the comic in general.

Pintsize, who was Wrong first and more dramatically, is getting to bear witness to Right's superior initiative-taking apology. The comic is the gradual development of Allison into the Randian ubermensch. Alternately, the exchange isn't over yet- there's still time for Pintsize to abruptly start spewing homophobic beliefs out of nowhere or something- it's how they handled Patrick.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I'm not a fan of what's been done with Patrick at all but .... what? :what:

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

God drat, this comic used to be good.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

Toshimo posted:

One of my theories about this story was that all the stuff Patrick told Allison about there being some evil one world government cabal stagnating the world from the shadows, was that it's all lies. He just read her mind and realized saying that would play off all her doubts about what she was doing as a government enforcer. We only have his word for this Cabal and he clearly had that presentation set up for Allison. It just seemed so suspicious to me that he basically neutralized his biggest threat right at the moment she was going to capture him, and then began befriending her while saying things that fed into Allison's own beliefs.

A lot of the more questionable things he did, like showing her all those dudes he kidnapped, make a bit more sense if he was testing how far she'd go for the Greater Good, as explained and revealed by someone who's judgement Allison had learned to trust implicitly.The blowup they had in his office was him pushing to hard, or self sabotage because he actually likes Allison as more than a pawn. Or maybe even a deliberate confrontation to make her think she'd become the dominant one in their relationship, so he could get another couple of years of passive hand wringing out of her.

That was my theory years ago, and now I feel like that's giving the comic to much credit, but the notion of Patrick just making up that evil undetectable conspiracy to manipulate Allison really appealed to me.

If it does exist, I guess that means they're going to kill Pintsize at some point to keep the world dependent on fossil fuels or whatever.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

It also means Alison is totally safe :v:

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

idonotlikepeas posted:

This comic is not in the least Randian.

The closest it has come is is "a character is upset because doing the most useful work he could be doing is a lot more boring than being a showboating famous superhero like in his precious childhood comics, but eventually relents and then his friend dances on his head in celebration" which is... basically the opposite?
Seriously, this page was really good.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Galvanik posted:

If it does exist, I guess that means they're going to kill Pintsize at some point to keep the world dependent on fossil fuels or whatever.

Given the fall in quality, I'd wage this is safe money. At the same time, this doesn't really seem like their style. Yeah, he can shrink and push science forward by leaps and bounds. But it's not negotiating with cancer to make it not kill the host, or literally making free energy. Paladin's meta-intelligence is probably worth more than his by the metrics in place.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Oh for sure, Paladin would be the one to upset the status quo by inventing something radical and new (like maybe genuine sentient AI) and not the guy who can shrink.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

It may be that ability to change the world isn't the only thing the secret murderers were selecting for; Patrick only believes that based on the evidence he's found; he's never been able to catch any of them, so he has no direct knowledge of their motivations.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
And the possibility that Patrick made the whole thing up is still real.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

idonotlikepeas posted:

It may be that ability to change the world isn't the only thing the secret murderers were selecting for; Patrick only believes that based on the evidence he's found; he's never been able to catch any of them, so he has no direct knowledge of their motivations.

I hope it is exactly this and I really hope the author goes back to it because it's a really interesting plot supposition.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Then it turns out it's the actual Illuminati. vOv

Green Bean
May 3, 2009
I kinda like the idea that it's not actually a conspiracy, just a bunch of amoral actors independently responding to the same set of incentives. Like, power companies killed off the kid able to produce unlimited free energy, and pharmaceutical companies killed off the girl who could talk to diseases, but they aren't actively colluding, just protecting the status quo and therefore their markets. It's structural violence rather than a single group of people.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

That would actually be more in line with the decent part of the story, which is that you can't punch your way to a better world. If there was some hidden cabal at work, it would suggest that if you got those guys maybe things would be better - if it is actually just everyone screwing poo poo up because FYGM, you can't punch it to a solution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It feels like the comic was headed towards a big takedown of "the man," the people who were keeping the people of the world down, and Allison was going to save the world by boldly quitting the business of chasing after giant monsters and supervillains and focusing on "what really mattered," but the writer matured some in the time since he started, and that Occupy Wallstreet simplistic optimism just isn't there anymore.

So the comic turned away from the conspiracy plot, but without that, there was less grounding for Allison's moral high ground to the people she's opposing, and there's nothing left but unearned self-congratulation, patreon cameos, and a character who's great at punching things with nothing that needs to be punched. Furnace feels like he was discarded as an artifact of the old plotline, and this whole call center thing seems like it might be a gambit to make the comic more episodic and get out of the idea of Allison having to fix everything.

• Locked thread