Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Perpetual Hiatus posted:

I feel like playing some kind of single-player game similar to board/card games

FTL and Atom Zombie Smasher both have board game style design elements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Perpetual Hiatus posted:

I feel like playing some kind of single-player game similar to board/card games, fun but shortish and relaxing/chill. Paced like Weird Worlds or Runespell. Guild of Dungeoneering sounded perfect until I read some reviews. Any suggestions?

It's a bit more active than most board games since it has actual combat, but Hand of Fate is pretty neat

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Perpetual Hiatus posted:

I feel like playing some kind of single-player game similar to board/card games, fun but shortish and relaxing/chill. Paced like Weird Worlds or Runespell. Guild of Dungeoneering sounded perfect until I read some reviews. Any suggestions?

Have you tried Hearthstone?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Perpetual Hiatus posted:

I've heard mixed things about Tharsis. To casual players it's completely brutal and unforgiving but it's completely about understanding probability and sacrificing resources to bolster your odds in a way that could only work in a board game.

I also heard a lot of good things about Chaos Reborn which is designed by Julian Gollop, creator of XCOM and Laser Squad.

James Totes
Feb 17, 2011
What's a good game like Ogame (idle-timer civilization building pvp game) that isn't completely swamped with players yet still has enough to be engaging?

I need something active to play after/during work when I'm tired.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I'm curious whether there's any current or upcoming MMO games which have a class that has a heavy emphasis on pets. I mean like City of Villains Mastermind type emphasis - where the pets deal the bulk of the damage/tanking and the player actively supports them. Preferrably if the class supports multiple pets at once.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Perpetual Hiatus posted:

Talisman sounds like what you're looking for.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

khy posted:

I'm curious whether there's any current or upcoming MMO games which have a class that has a heavy emphasis on pets. I mean like City of Villains Mastermind type emphasis - where the pets deal the bulk of the damage/tanking and the player actively supports them. Preferrably if the class supports multiple pets at once.

I don't think there's any upcoming MMOs period, the genere is mostly dead now. Lots of games that tried to compete with WoW just crashed and went free to play.

Join the goons on everquest project1999 and play a Magician or a Necromancer :cheeky:

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Talisman sounds like what you're looking for.

Yeah seconding this, talisman is super chill boardgame times, and the PC version seems okay (I have the board game, haven't played the PC version)

It is a bit light on challenge though, but if you want something short and chill there you go.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Please don't play Talisman. Its as much a game as Snakes and Ladders. The only thing that makes the boardgame bearable is being drunk and laughing at your friends when they get transformed into a toad. Playing it alone is just sad.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Fat Samurai posted:

Please don't play Talisman. Its as much a game as Snakes and Ladders. The only thing that makes the boardgame bearable is being drunk and laughing at your friends when they get transformed into a toad. Playing it alone is just sad.

I understand that it doesn't have the player agency of Agaricola or whatever your game-de-jour is, but he didn't exactly ask for a eurogame. He said relaxing/chill.

Talisman isn't a eurogame but it isn't on the tier of snakes and ladders or monopoly either. You do have choices.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Zaphod42 posted:

You do have choices.
And their consequences are completely random.

Tharsis is good and turn based, although chill may be stretching the definition a bit; Sproggiwood is turn based and cute and colourful while being quite devious but not as much as other roguelikes; the Witness is pretty good if you like puzzles and is also very pretty; there is a cartload of good boardgame conversions on iOS that allow asynchronous play.

Are we talking PC only?

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

I don't think there's any upcoming MMOs period, the genere is mostly dead now. Lots of games that tried to compete with WoW just crashed and went free to play.

Join the goons on everquest project1999 and play a Magician or a Necromancer :cheeky:

That is super disappointing. Though I have heard that the WoW warlocks will get multiple pets come Legion? Maybe that'll help.

I still feel like CoV Masterminds were the best pet class ever. No other MMO has managed to produce a class as enjoyable to me as they were.

khy fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Feb 23, 2016

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

There's still upcoming MMOs but I don't know if any of them are any good. There's a thing called Crowfall, and a kickstarted Camelot reboot. There's Black Desert and Blade n Soul which are new to the west but have been around for a bit in Korea. I don't know if any of them will do any of the things you want, but it's not really an absolutely dead genre, although it's not nearly as healthy.

Perpetual Hiatus
Oct 29, 2011

Thanks for your suggestions everyone.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

It's a bit more active than most board games since it has actual combat, but Hand of Fate is pretty neat

This sounds exactly like what I need, even though I didnt know it when asking :P

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

khy posted:

That is super disappointing. Though I have heard that the WoW warlocks will get multiple pets come Legion? Maybe that'll help.

I still feel like CoV Masterminds were the best pet class ever. No other MMO has managed to produce a class as enjoyable to me as they were.

Probably the next closest thing are the myriad ARPGs out there, but I think even that genre has mostly moved on from huge minion swarms ala Diablo 2's Skeletonmancer in favor of smaller numbers of conditional allies. Though I'm not totally familiar on what every character/class in Marvel Heroes, Path of Exile, or Grim Dawn do so maybe there is one? The last full blown pet class I remember was back in Torchlight 1.

Going even further away from MMOs, there's also the old Overlord games, which definitely have that "stand back and watch your minions wreck up the place" feel at least some of the time.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Feb 24, 2016

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I'm looking for a game to play late-night when I'm stoned and about to head to bed. Ideally looking for something turn-based or that vein - something I can take my time with and not feel rushed. I'd like it to be something I can pick up and play 5-15 minutes at a time. Basically, when I'm too tired/high to play an MMO or Far Cry or whatever, I want to play your recommended game.

Games that previously filled this niche include Hearthstone, Transistor, Jotun, and way back in the past, things like SimTower or SimCity 2000. I still pick up Everyday Shooter every now and then, have had that game forever. I tried more complex games like Spacechem, old-school XCOM, Civ5 etc. and they're great but way too complex for a casual sit-down.

Probottt
Dec 15, 2013

drunk asian neighbor posted:

I'm looking for a game to play late-night when I'm stoned and about to head to bed. Ideally looking for something turn-based or that vein - something I can take my time with and not feel rushed. I'd like it to be something I can pick up and play 5-15 minutes at a time. Basically, when I'm too tired/high to play an MMO or Far Cry or whatever, I want to play your recommended game.

Games that previously filled this niche include Hearthstone, Transistor, Jotun, and way back in the past, things like SimTower or SimCity 2000. I still pick up Everyday Shooter every now and then, have had that game forever. I tried more complex games like Spacechem, old-school XCOM, Civ5 etc. and they're great but way too complex for a casual sit-down.

Disgaea: Hour of Darkness fits this perfectly. It's a turb-based RPG, and a map usually takes 5-10 minutes, especially if you're grinding levels, and is extremely easy to put down if you need to stop for any given reason. Plus, it's releasing on Steam quite shortly if that's the platform you use. Otherwise, it's a pretty cheap/easy to find game if you have a PS2/PSP/DS.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Probottt posted:

Disgaea: Hour of Darkness fits this perfectly. It's a turb-based RPG, and a map usually takes 5-10 minutes, especially if you're grinding levels, and is extremely easy to put down if you need to stop for any given reason. Plus, it's releasing on Steam quite shortly if that's the platform you use. Otherwise, it's a pretty cheap/easy to find game if you have a PS2/PSP/DS.

Eh, I'm not a huge Disgaea fan TBH. I played the original on PS2. Looking for something a little less in-depth.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Mini Metro is pretty good for this. Simple enough to play half-asleep/while netflixing, deep enough to not feel like you waste brain by trying to think at it. Each session is (for me) almost exactly 20 minutes. Realtime, but you can quickpause and act while paused.

Audiosurf 1 is pretty much my go-to for stoned play, especially with slow/atmospheric music.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Invisible Inc looks insanely confusing but is actually really easy to play, and missions generally last a sweet spot of 15-20 minutes.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Invisible Inc looks insanely confusing but is actually really easy to play, and missions generally last a sweet spot of 15-20 minutes.

It even comes with a built-in undo button feature so you can make mistakes and fix 'em. (And I'm mostly sure that you can set the undos to 99 without messing up achievements if you're going for 'em.)

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

For a longer session: Tropico could work, I've found that 4 is easier than 5 and also has a better soundtrack.

For shorter sessions maybe Little Inferno, Recettear, Bejeweled, Peggle or something along those lines?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Mini Metro looks great, gonna check that one out. Haven't heard of Invisible Inc., will take a look as well. Thanks for the recommendations - I can't believe I forgot about Audiosurf!

Tropico is way too complex for what I'm looking for considering I mentioned Xcom and Civ5 were not what I was looking for...

I opened Steam last night and Hitman: Go was on sale, so I picked that up and it's been a lot of fun so far. Simple concept, turn-based, nice visuals....aw yeah.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
You can play tropico in sandbox mode and set it up to be basically impossible to lose or even literally impossible to lose, I just saw you liked SimTower and SimCity so I thought I'd give you another city builder type game :shrug:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Ahundredbux posted:

You can play tropico in sandbox mode and set it up to be basically impossible to lose or even literally impossible to lose, I just saw you liked SimTower and SimCity so I thought I'd give you another city builder type game :shrug:

Yeah, I guess those 2 are so ingrained in me I can play them with my eyes closed at this point. Anything past SC2000 (3000, 4, Cities XL etc.) and my mind turns to mush :V

Sorry if I came off harsh - no dickishness meant!

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

khy posted:

I don't play those classes myself, but Final Fantasy XIV has Arcanist/Summoner/Scholar that are all pretty dependent on pets (IIRC low-level Arcanists were able to solo a lot of early content because with good management their pets make pretty effective tanks). Machinist also exists, but I think their turrets are less controllable and more "make sure you place this in an optimal spot"

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

I don't play those classes myself, but Final Fantasy XIV has Arcanist/Summoner/Scholar that are all pretty dependent on pets (IIRC low-level Arcanists were able to solo a lot of early content because with good management their pets make pretty effective tanks). Machinist also exists, but I think their turrets are less controllable and more "make sure you place this in an optimal spot"

The FFXIV classes are all very much single pet at the a time classes though.

John Murdoch posted:

Probably the next closest thing are the myriad ARPGs out there, but I think even that genre has mostly moved on from huge minion swarms ala Diablo 2's Skeletonmancer in favor of smaller numbers of conditional allies. Though I'm not totally familiar on what every character/class in Marvel Heroes, Path of Exile, or Grim Dawn do so maybe there is one? The last full blown pet class I remember was back in Torchlight 1.

Going even further away from MMOs, there's also the old Overlord games, which definitely have that "stand back and watch your minions wreck up the place" feel at least some of the time.

PoE has summon skills but not sure how viable those are. Marvel Heroes has Squirrel Girl which in theory plays like a skellimancer but it's just not that satisfying to me.

Honestly my guess is that MMOs (which are very much not dead as a genre) are going to steer away from the multi-pet model because they are probably resource intensive and not very newbie friendly since it's more puttons to push. Almost every new MMO will have at least one single pet class though.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

John Murdoch posted:

I have hundreds of hours in Overlord 1 and 2, I roll a new WD every season in D3, and every once in a while I roll up another Skellymancer in D2 just for giggles. But yeah, nothing in an MMORPG has come close to being as fun as Masterminds.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Yeah, I guess those 2 are so ingrained in me I can play them with my eyes closed at this point. Anything past SC2000 (3000, 4, Cities XL etc.) and my mind turns to mush :V

Sorry if I came off harsh - no dickishness meant!

Here's an another alternative: OpenTTD, just play with planes for a while and ignore trains. Planes are hecka easy, just build two terminals, buy some planes, set a route. Move up to trucks or buses after a bit.

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.
I'm after a co-op 2 player game to play with my wife, for either PC or XBOX360, prefer PC. This is for couch play with the XBOX360 controllers. So far, we have been enjoying the various Lego games and the 3 Trine games on Steam. They don't have to be platformers or action/adventure. Preferably something that isn't too challenging, or allows for the second player to keep coming back to life as she's not super good at games.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Vidaeus posted:

I'm after a co-op 2 player game to play with my wife, for either PC or XBOX360, prefer PC. This is for couch play with the XBOX360 controllers. So far, we have been enjoying the various Lego games and the 3 Trine games on Steam. They don't have to be platformers or action/adventure. Preferably something that isn't too challenging, or allows for the second player to keep coming back to life as she's not super good at games.

Never Alone from the current Humble Bundle is worth a look.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I've never played any Souls games but Bloodborne is $24 on PSN, worth it?

I like games with customization and I was a pretty big fan of Ninja Gaiden 1+2 so it seems like a no-brainer, but the most actiony game I've played in the last year or so was Shadows of Mordor which is pretty baby-times in terms of difficulty. Also, is it one of those games where there's a bunch of different weapons/armor/fighting styles but one is clearly way better than everything else, or is there actually a lot of variety to it?

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

Geektox posted:

PoE has summon skills but not sure how viable those are.

Like with many builds in Path of Exile, the effective way to do a summoner is to level up using other skills and then transform into summoning later. It's very possible to just not care about efficiency, and play a pure summoner anyway. A Witch is the most obvious class for a summoner, and I'd recommend going for the Minion Instability keystone node in the passive tree. This makes minions explode when they're about to die, which makes bosses and other things that can kill the horde a lot more bearable.

As a summoner in PoE you get:
  • Raise Zombie, which gets you your basic mob of mooks. You can get to 6 simultaneous zombies easily, and up to about 12 if you really push it with items and the passive tree
  • Summon Skeletons, which gets you temporary mooks which do not follow you around, but also don't require corpses
  • Raise Specter, which copies the monster abilities of the corpse used, but you only get a couple of them at a time
  • Summon Raging Spirit, which is more like a damage spell in the form of floating skulls that chase and bite monsters. They do not block monster movement
  • Vaal Summon Skeletons, which is hilarious and summons a whole mess of various skeletons including BIG SKELETON, but you'll probably have to trade for the skill gem, and it can only be used once in a while
There are also totems, golems and animated armor and weaponry, but going for those as well probably spreads the build too thin.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I need a F2P FPS that has tolerable game mechanics despite it being a F2P game.

I know a while back goons were into Blacklight Retribution, what happened with that?

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Are you into arena shooters at all? The new Unreal Tournament that's in development (but perfectly playable) is great if you liked the old UTs.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Nah not really. They were sort of in their hayday before I was old enough to play games.

Expanding on that, I've gravitated to shooters that are slower paced. BF2/Project Reality if that helps. I notice a lot of games in the F2P FPS genre feel like meat grinders.

buglord fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Feb 25, 2016

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Wolfsheim posted:

I've never played any Souls games but Bloodborne is $24 on PSN, worth it?

I like games with customization and I was a pretty big fan of Ninja Gaiden 1+2 so it seems like a no-brainer, but the most actiony game I've played in the last year or so was Shadows of Mordor which is pretty baby-times in terms of difficulty. Also, is it one of those games where there's a bunch of different weapons/armor/fighting styles but one is clearly way better than everything else, or is there actually a lot of variety to it?

I haven't played Bloodborne but the Souls games are all about giving you different movesets with different weapon types. The Souls games are a lot like older games in that there is no armor or weapon or accessory that will make the game a breeze, it is your skills as a player that are forced to get better through the course of the game. The easiest and most reductive analogy is that Dark Souls is a 3D third person version of Castlevania with a bazillion more weapon and armor combinations.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Avocados posted:

Nah not really. They were sort of in their hayday before I was old enough to play games.

It's third person not first person, but Warframe's supposed to be pretty good and is well supported.

Phetz
Nov 7, 2008

Daddy like...
Fun Shoe

Avocados posted:

Expanding on that, I've gravitated to shooters that are slower paced. BF2/Project Reality if that helps. I notice a lot of games in the F2P FPS genre feel like meat grinders.

Planetside 2 has the feeling of being a meat grinder when you first start out, but if you play a support/back line role and try to gravitate toward smaller battles as you unlock stuff you can kind of play at a more leisurely pace. It's been a while since I stopped playing but it was my Chill Out After Work With A Beer Game for a good long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Yeah Planetside 2 can be really cool and chill (for a shooter) if you just stay away from the bigass furball fights.