Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

:buddy: GAY 4 ORGANS :buddy:

Shadow0 posted:

Do earthquakes happen a lot there? Or just bombings?

Earthquakes are very common in the Balkans. I remember a reasonably powerful one in mid 90s, during a rumble the stuff started falling off the shelves and made a terrible mess. And we're like 30 years overdue for a really big one. It's going to suck terribly because there is a lot of rinky-dink housing built between 1880 and 1920s, when reinforced concrete became a norm, and these old houses were generally built for the working poor, with wooden ceilings and poo poo that's going to crumble to pieces.

Centripetal Horse posted:

That stove looks dope. The toilet is in an inconvenient place, though*. Where did the money come from to "rebuild" the bathroom, and how could you afford to buy that television so recently?

Back in 2007 I worked in a stove factory, building those exact stoves on the assembly line :D

And yeah I agree about the toilet, in order to take a dump you need to close the doors behind you or you can't sit straight on the throne. The money for the new tiles and stuff came from my savings. Remember that I was once employed... a long time ago that was. :(
I bought the TV off the Awesome kid who was moving and I got it for pennies because the kid obviously wasn't going to haul that thing all the way to Ireland and I needed a TV set anyways. :)

How expensive is "prohibitively" expensive?

I like to cook stews, beans and generally the kind of stuff that has to simmer for a long time. I don't even have a microwave over here in Property B, because I just don't need it. Now imagine how much electricity you'd consume by simmering six pounds of beans on a 2000W coil, and you'd have to keep running that poo poo for over two hours.
With gas, I can even use it to quickly warm up the apartment, if the steam heating conks out or something.

I was temporarily disconnected from the internet yesterday. Forgot to pay the bill and oops down the drain it goes. I bummed twenty bucks off my grandma so now I'm back on the internet... for now. :ughh:

Now goons are going to laugh at me for telling you this, but I deliberately bought an AMD FX-8150 system a few years back, which has since been considered a hot-running turd of a CPU. But I'm seriously using it to heat my apartment in the winter. Imagine, it's like heating... with science! :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i have known some cheap motherfuckers in my life, asf, but you take the cake. your frugality has transcended to an art form

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

A SWEATY FATBEARD posted:

Back in 2007 I worked in a stove factory, building those exact stoves on the assembly line :D

Is it a quality product? It looks like a quality product. Is the Croatian work week Monday-Friday? Did the stoves made on Fridays suffer from crappier quality because everyone was in a rush to go home for the weekend? I'm only half serious, but I am legitimately curious whether the stove was built to high standards.

And yeah I agree about the toilet, in order to take a dump you need to close the doors behind you or you can't sit straight on the throne.

Mine isn't much better. I have to sit side-saddle to poop.

With added fist for perspective:

That bit where the wall juts out in front of the toilet is terrible. I can't imagine any non-dwarf human male being able to sit straight on my toilet.

I like to cook stews, beans and generally the kind of stuff that has to simmer for a long time. I don't even have a microwave over here in Property B, because I just don't need it. Now imagine how much electricity you'd consume by simmering six pounds of beans on a 2000W coil, and you'd have to keep running that poo poo for over two hours.
With gas, I can even use it to quickly warm up the apartment, if the steam heating conks out or something.

I understand that more cooking uses more electricity, but I thought you meant "prohibitively expensive" on a per-unit basis. What is the price per kilowatt hour (or however you measure it in Croatia?)

Also, get a slow cooker/Crock Pot. They are literally made for cooking stews and beans and things that are meant to simmer. That is their entire purpose in life. A small one will only run at 100 watts or thereabouts. Even a big one will only use maybe 250 watts. You throw random ingredients into the slow cooker for ten hours, and you have food for a week. They're pretty much counter-top miracles.

Don't heat your house with your gas stove.

I was temporarily disconnected from the internet yesterday. Forgot to pay the bill and oops down the drain it goes. I bummed twenty bucks off my grandma so now I'm back on the internet... for now. :ughh:

Now goons are going to laugh at me for telling you this, but I deliberately bought an AMD FX-8150 system a few years back, which has since been considered a hot-running turd of a CPU. But I'm seriously using it to heat my apartment in the winter. Imagine, it's like heating... with science! :D

How much of your situation is self-imposed? You keep inheriting property, and you have aunts and grandmas and such that don't seem to be living on the edge of starvation. Do you have access to resources that you choose not to use?

Heating your home with a computer processor seems inefficient. Processors are designed to make as much use of the electricity as possible, and produce as little waste heat as possible. I would think you'd want the exact opposite in a home heating appliance.

szary
Mar 12, 2014

Hey man, nobody deserves this, me and other goons will send you some cash if you can't afford toilet paper.

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

Is it a quality product? It looks like a quality product. Is the Croatian work week Monday-Friday? Did the stoves made on Fridays suffer from crappier quality because everyone was in a rush to go home for the weekend? I'm only half serious, but I am legitimately curious whether the stove was built to high standards.

I worked for some time in that factory and I know which models were good and which ones were duds. Brown lacquered stoves were good ones to avoid, as they tended to scratch - we even had problems in the factory with our stoves getting scratched before they even came off the assembly line. White enamel was okay, but you had to inspect your stove for ashes in the enamel - the enamel furnace was gas-fired, the enameled parts being baked at 800 degrees celsius, and it was normal to have a speck of ash here and there in the enamel (provided that it wasn't in some jarring spot that made it stick out like dogs balls)
The gas furnace replaced an older electrical one which made wonderful enamel, but the factory had to run the drat thing 24/7 since it took no less than eight hours for the furnace to reach operating temperature, and keeping the thing running throughout the night was obviously not very economical.
The best stoves use stainless steel parts. These don't stain or scratch, but they do cost quite a bit more than ordinary enameled stoves. It's no accident that I bought myself a stainless steel one.

Workdays in the blue collar sector are Monday to Saturday. Our factory didn't demand us to come working on Saturdays, but pretty much everyone would show up because that meant getting a much needed $30 bonus on your slip. Remember that we were working minimum wage, which was roughly $350 a month back then.

As far as quality was concerned, when I first came to the factory the norm was 200 units per day, and we strived to push out a good product. Then, for some reason, the brass decided to more than double the norm - we got bumped up to 430 units per day (with the pay remaining exactly the same, wooooo)

After this, we were in a constant rush to get the things done, and mistakes tend to happen. Of course, all the stoves were tested before being packaged, but every unit spent a grand total of 30 seconds in the testing cubicle. The guys would check for the gas leaks, run the coils through an ohmmeter to see if everything is hooked up correctly, test the thermocouplers and the oven hinges... and that's pretty much it. Our stoves had one particularly weak spot, and it was the oven doors - the tempered glass tended to bust into pieces if you worked the doors too roughly. There is a lot of stuff that doesn't get tested in the factory at all, for example; coils are never heated up, and there just miiight be a wire going astray underneath the coil that will start burning when it comes in touch with the heated metal.

The rule of thumb is; test your stove immediately after buying it. Don't trust anything you see or smell. If it doesn't go kaboom within the first hour of operation, it'll keep working without a hitch for the next twenty years.

That bit where the wall juts out in front of the toilet is terrible. I can't imagine any non-dwarf human male being able to sit straight on my toilet.

I have something similar in my bathroom, there is a pipe shaft running behind the toilet and the wall is fake (just two inches of hollow porobeton with "wonderful" 1970 tiles over it)
Funny thing about my bathroom, I know the EXACT date when it was finished. When I bought property B, the plaster in the shower wall was getting loose and I decided to replaster the wall before painting it with waterproof acrylic paint. I removed the old plaster and found a QC seal on the wall, ostensibly put there by the foreman, and it said 27th November 1970.

I understand that more cooking uses more electricity, but I thought you meant "prohibitively expensive" on a per-unit basis. What is the price per kilowatt hour (or however you measure it in Croatia?)
I'm not sure, but it's expensive enough that any money you'd save by cooking for yourself at home would spill over into an increased electricity bill. Gas, on the other hand, is almost free. I spent around 200 cubic meters of gas in the past year, and my gas bills are generally issued twice a year - and they run up to roughly $15 for six months of cooking. I don't think there is a crock pot that can beat that. :)

Don't heat your house with your gas stove.

I'm aware of the inherent dangers, but my place is way too drafty to allow for CO buildup. I never burn gas while it's unattended (or if I'm asleep) as this can end up badly in quite a few ways.

How much of your situation is self-imposed? You keep inheriting property, and you have aunts and grandmas and such that don't seem to be living on the edge of starvation. Do you have access to resources that you choose not to use?

My only "resource that I chose not to use" is a regular day job. Well I've proven to myself that I can get along by bumming for, uh, four years already and it's been a neverending stream of strife. My health is actually improving (though that's not saying much), but the maprotiline is an absolute miracle. I don't feel "high" from it anymore, and the constipation effect has persisted. Now I can actually go out without worrying that I'll poo poo my pants once again! :hurr:

Processors are designed to make as much use of the electricity as possible, and produce as little waste heat as possible. I would think you'd want the exact opposite in a home heating appliance.

Well, AMD FX is quite a humdinger - it launched with what amounts to an apology from the CEO for delivering a poo poo product. FX was supposed to be the next big thing and to pick up from where the amazing A64 family of processors left off. The FX spent a long time in development hell and the final product was essentially an eight-core Pentium 4; a serious underperformer that you had to clock up preposterously high just to match the A64 processors which FX was poised to replace in AMD's lineup :ughh:

Oh, and I ran out of cigarette papers the other day. Mr. Hippie brought me my baccy (which I already paid for, over a month ago :argh:) but this paper crisis left me unprepared. Luckily, I carved myself a nice little bong out of a potato. :D

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
nice work macgyver. now the potato is cooked and ready to be eaten. 2 birds, 1 stone

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

Woah, finally some good news!

The charges against me were dropped since Nicholas took my advice and forked over those bloody 108 bucks for the back utilities in a long since sold Crackden apartment. Still, I lost $13 because I appealed the charges and this was a processing fee. I could have used that money in a more creative way. :(

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

I guess it's moot if you only pay $15 for six month's worth of gas (:wtc: is it subsidised?), but if you're doing a lot of 6-hour stews, you should look into hayboxes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haybox
http://www.instructables.com/id/hay-box-cooker/

You just gotta have a food thermometer, and consider reboiling it at the end in case of bacterial growth.

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

Lead out in cuffs posted:

I guess it's moot if you only pay $15 for six month's worth of gas (:wtc: is it subsidised?)

Yeop, it's not only subsidized as a "strategic fuel", but it's also produced locally - Croatia doesn't really have much (if any) oil, but we're swimming in natural gas, adriatic sea especially; around Istria, there are several large drilling platforms for gas extraction.

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

Oh, just remembered one thing. There is a wi-fi USB adapter stick plugged into the TV I bought off the awesome kid. What does this ethernet interface do on a TV?

Maybe it's a dumb question, but I haven't owned a TV set in quite a few years so I'm kinda out of the loop.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Oh, just remembered one thing. There is a wi-fi USB adapter stick plugged into the TV I bought off the awesome kid. What does this ethernet interface do on a TV?

Maybe it's a dumb question, but I haven't owned a TV set in quite a few years so I'm kinda out of the loop.

Ethernet means wired, as opposed to wifi.

The dude probably left a chromecast or some kind of equivalent (roku, western digital?). They do various things:
-if your PC is running a DLNA server, and the stick has a DLNA client, it will allow you to stream videos that are on your pc's hard drive, e.g. pirated shows, to your TV.
-It will probably interface with some services like amazon prime or netflix to watch streaming TV, you may have local equivalents.
-It might ? also connect to something like youtube, crunchyroll, allow you to browse facebook/twitter from your tv
-it might connect to streaming music services too like, uh, I don't know any lol but yeah stuff like pandora maybe.
-if it has an SD card slot i it, it might be able to read movies/music/pictures off the SD card and play them on the TV.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
To run a DLNA server on your pc, get http://www.universalmediaserver.com load it up, and add the directory containing your video files, then restart it. Now use the chromecast thing on your tv (hopefully it game with a remote, or it might use your smartphone, if you have one, as a remote) and see if it connects to dlna clients.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

Love, gromdul

I'm not sure, but it's expensive enough that any money you'd save by cooking for yourself at home would spill over into an increased electricity bill. Gas, on the other hand, is almost free. I spent around 200 cubic meters of gas in the past year, and my gas bills are generally issued twice a year - and they run up to roughly $15 for six months of cooking. I don't think there is a crock pot that can beat that. :)

I don't know what you pay per kilowatt-hour, but a quick calculation shows that a 150-watt slow cooker used for ten hours per week will cost about $9 per year at typical USA electricity rates. Even if you triple the numbers, it's competitive with what you stated. If you don't want one, you obviously shouldn't get one. I only brought it up because they cost almost nothing to operate, and they make exactly what you said you like to cook. They're fool-proof, too. They require essentially no effort. You put stuff in, turn the dial, and forget about it for a day. I love my Crock Pot.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
This is like the best episode of The Jeffersons ever.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Great thread, never stop posting Mr. FATBEARD.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

You are correct, Zagreb has little to nothing to offer, unless you're interested in urban decay and (decaying) brutalist architecture. Every summer I'm seeing foreign tourists walking around with their maps and backpacks and stuff, and literally all of them look lost and disappointed. I always get this urge to apologize to them for coming to Zagreb.

Tourists should go to the one town near Zagreb to eat kremsnit then go to the coast/islands to swim

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

DisDisDis posted:

Tourists should go to the one town near Zagreb to eat kremsnit then go to the coast/islands to swim

It's around 5AM and I just got home. I got the rent money from Mario and I was getting kinda thirsty... so I took my backpack and pedaled on my bike to the central railway station which has a 0-24 convenience store. The trip took me about 30 minutes and now my rear end bones are hurting because those seizure-induced pratfalls took their toll on my butt but that's not the point of this post.

Yesterday afternoon I was bumming around at my usual spot, in front of the shopping mall, when I saw a large group of Asian tourists - there were around 20 of them they didn't seem to have gotten lost - which means that they seriously came all the way here to see the commieblocks. The commieblocks, for gently caress's sake.

I just don't know anymore. Maybe it's the strangest thing that we built commieblocks that were actually finished well and were comfortable for living? Is it really that strange that people from the other side of the world, probably Korea, went all the way to see this miracle?

To prove my point, take a few minutes of your time and go bumming around the Dugave estate in Google street view. The construction of Dugave estate was started in 1976, the whole thing was completed by 1982 and was subsequently voted as the most exemplary planned new neighborhood in all of Yugoslavia: https://www.google.hr/maps/@45.7646456,15.9929883,3a,75y,5.94h,91.82t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s8MAPeLAKSxRAaaYRccm5Og!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en-HR

A two-bedroom apartment over here is going to cost you around $120K, before taxes. I used to live around here as a kid and I loved the open spaces and lightly cultivated nature. If you're allergic to tree pollen, Dugave is obviously a wrong place to be living in.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

Love, gromdul

To prove my point, take a few minutes of your time and go bumming around the Dugave estate in Google street view. The construction of Dugave estate was started in 1976, the whole thing was completed by 1982 and was subsequently voted as the most exemplary planned new neighborhood in all of Yugoslavia: https://www.google.hr/maps/@45.7646456,15.9929883,3a,75y,5.94h,91.82t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s8MAPeLAKSxRAaaYRccm5Og!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en-HR

A two-bedroom apartment over here is going to cost you around $120K, before taxes. I used to live around here as a kid and I loved the open spaces and lightly cultivated nature. If you're allergic to tree pollen, Dugave is obviously a wrong place to be living in.

Huh. That doesn't look particularly odd, to me. The buildings are definitely heavy on age-worn concrete, but there's nothing that really strikes me. Possibly, the photographs don't convey the full experience. If you covered up all the not-English signs and some of the cars, I probably wouldn't have questioned it if you told me that neighborhood was somewhere in a fading Great Lakes steel town, or maybe near a large southern city. Hell, Harvey Norman totally sounds like a Louisiana politician.

I like your stories. I'm always rooting for good things to happen to you, and I look forward to your posts in this thread. I feel like it would be interesting to just come collect bottles and tour concrete-block neighborhoods with you for a week or two.

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

Possibly, the photographs don't convey the full experience. If you covered up all the not-English signs and some of the cars, I probably wouldn't have questioned it if you told me that neighborhood was somewhere in a fading Great Lakes steel town, or maybe near a large southern city.

The place smells like cow dung in the spring, and during the summer, an exciting aroma from a neighboring dump/landfill will tickle your nostrils. Still, it's way better than living in the ghetto. I spent 27 years in the ghetto and I made a beeline back to the concrete commie utopia at the first opportunity.
Large Apartment property with Dad the dad was located in this estate. I sold it and bought a studio in a massive soviet commietower in a different estate which had a much better infrastructure and better public transport.

I like your stories. I'm always rooting for good things to happen to you, and I look forward to your posts in this thread. I feel like it would be interesting to just come collect bottles and tour concrete-block neighborhoods with you for a week or two.

Yeah I feel the same. If some goon gets lost around Zagreb, they can feel free to come over and crash at my place (PROTIP: bribe me with a 2L bomb of beer and I'll show you lots of weird, non-touristy places in the town.) Renting a bicycle seems to be a pretty good way to see the town.

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat

I just don't know anymore. Maybe it's the strangest thing that we built commieblocks that were actually finished well and were comfortable for living? Is it really that strange that people from the other side of the world, probably Korea, went all the way to see this miracle?

As a commieblock dweller, I have to say it varies wildly. Both the actual series of the block (building styles and plans would come into 'series' or production runs, for instance, I live in a 103. series), the build quality and the vibe of the area/neighbourhood/microdistrict or sometimes even an individual cluster of buildings.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Yeah I feel the same. If some goon gets lost around Zagreb, they can feel free to come over and crash at my place (PROTIP: bribe me with a 2L bomb of beer and I'll show you lots of weird, non-touristy places in the town.) Renting a bicycle seems to be a pretty good way to see the town.

I have a few friends who have told me that Zagreb needs to be first on my list of places to visit in Europe, and they could never really articulate why really. Certain people just seem to fall in love with it.

Koreans go everywhere, I saw several buses of them in Ankara, where I did not see many other foreigners at all. Not much reason to go there unless you are a Turkish history buff, I don't think.

Weldon Pemberton
May 19, 2012

Everyone always overemphasizes how lovely the place they live (or grew up) in is. Here in America I have to watch what I say about the UK or they'll get the wrong idea and think I'm saying it's some hellhole, when in fact I'm just a griping cynic. Croatia has problems but maybe don't look at Fatbeard's lifestyle and assume it's the norm.

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

shovelbum posted:

I have a few friends who have told me that Zagreb needs to be first on my list of places to visit in Europe, and they could never really articulate why really. Certain people just seem to fall in love with it.

To be fair, I think the part of the country's charm is that it's a very friendly place. If you're visiting Croatia, I'd say that you could get a kick out of mingling with the locals. Towards that end, the wrong way to experience Croatia is flying in by airplane, and then booking a room in an oversized, sterile hotel. What you should do instead, is to go around by bus and then rent out a room or an apartment from the locals - this way, you get to experience personal hospitality and what's even better, it's actually cheaper to rent a room from a local Croat than paying to stay at the hotel. Many people on the coast professionally rent out their houses to tourists.

This is probably why I liked Prague so much when I visited the town in 1999.

Weldon Pemberton posted:

Everyone always overemphasizes how lovely the place they live (or grew up) in is. Here in America I have to watch what I say about the UK or they'll get the wrong idea and think I'm saying it's some hellhole, when in fact I'm just a griping cynic. Croatia has problems but maybe don't look at Fatbeard's lifestyle and assume it's the norm.

Notice that I'm glorifying the socialist suburbs, and denouncing the inner city ghettos. I have every right to do so, because I spent most of my life living in a ghetto. Also, I don't think anybody thinks that my lifestyle is the norm. Common sense should tell you this.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Considering that the unemployment rate for <35yos was hovering around 51% when I left in 2011, and that situation hasn't improved (probably got worse since), it is a legitimate hellhole for anyone trying to have a reasonable life.
Zagreb was always a bit better than the rest of the country due to the centralized tax system. Living in provincial parts with no steady influx of real estate was hard.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

Love, gromdul

I'm American fat. I don't know if your little Eurobikes can handle me. If you build your bikes the way you build your residential blocks, it'll probably be OK.

insufficient guns
May 4, 2009

personally, I would
like to fuck Wall-E

:h: :roboluv: :h:

To be fair, I think the part of the country's charm is that it's a very friendly place. If you're visiting Croatia, I'd say that you could get a kick out of mingling with the locals. Towards that end, the wrong way to experience Croatia is flying in by airplane, and then booking a room in an oversized, sterile hotel. What you should do instead, is to go around by bus and then rent out a room or an apartment from the locals - this way, you get to experience personal hospitality and what's even better, it's actually cheaper to rent a room from a local Croat than paying to stay at the hotel. Many people on the coast professionally rent out their houses to tourists.

I think we just found the solution to your income situation.

Bobbie Wickham
Apr 13, 2008

by Smythe
Oh my god, The Sweaty Fatbeard Reality Tour!

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Yeah, one guy I know who loves the place has distant relatives there I think who always greet him like a long lost brother or something. I hope to visit someday myself.

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

miy mwoiultlh tbreaptpreude ifno srteavtiecr more

Bobbie Wickham posted:

i would go on this. fatbeard, i would do this and pay you for it

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Bobbie Wickham posted:

If I didn't mind the idea of drinking warm beer and tripping out on pharmaceuticals and I hadn't watched the Hostel series I'd probably do this

compshateme85
Jan 28, 2009

Oh you like racoons? Name three of their songs. You dope.
I would also do this

artichoke
Sep 29, 2003

delirium tremens and caffeine
Gravy Boat 2k
As would I. I mean, I've learned way more about Zagreb and surrounding area from this thread and your other ones alone than anywhere else, ever.

steady
Feb 28, 2011
Pillbug
Who would have thought Fatty's gloomy and depressive thread would turn into a tourist destination sales pitch? So proud Croatia can cater to all sorts. Fatty, you're doing God's work here, sonny.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

So let's see if I got this right: Sweaty is feeling sorry for foreign tourists that he sees in Zagreb so he's now importing even more goon tourists to crash at his place(s), for which they may or may not pay him in 2L beer bottles?

Also, my buddy used to work in a hostel, so I chatted with a bunch of tourists there and most common opinion was that Zagreb was good for several days before you take for the coast. There were, of course, some awesome crazy ones that fell in love with the city and stayed for several months, even finding some kind of minor jobs to sustain themselves for a time.

Sweaty, Zagreb is much better than it used to be before. It's not quite there yet but it is getting noticeably better every year.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Bobbie Wickham posted:

Croatia: The Sweaty Fatbeard Reality Tour (payable in 2L beer bottles)

stringball
Mar 17, 2009

Bobbie Wickham posted:

Is the biperiden included?

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Disco Infiva posted:

So let's see if I got this right: Sweaty is feeling sorry for foreign tourists that he sees in Zagreb so he's now importing even more goon tourists to crash at his place(s), for which they may or may not pay him in 2L beer bottles?

Also, my buddy used to work in a hostel, so I chatted with a bunch of tourists there and most common opinion was that Zagreb was good for several days before you take for the coast. There were, of course, some awesome crazy ones that fell in love with the city and stayed for several months, even finding some kind of minor jobs to sustain themselves for a time.

Sweaty, Zagreb is much better than it used to be before. It's not quite there yet but it is getting noticeably better every year.

I like to take visitors on a bike tour of the solar system. There are fun things to do in Zagreb if you are a tourist.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Seriously considering visiting Croatia with a friend in the fall now. I'm actually really curious about Zagreb after all this back and forth.

SFB, I can bring our local hobo beer and we can compare, I'm not sure if it can be deposited for change there though :)

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

Hmmm. I've given these ideas some thought, and I'm down with this provided that some mentally healthy Zagreb-based goon steps up to provide a counterweight to my weirdness. I'm too easily misunderstood and having me show you the all the squalor Zagreb has to offer would invariably paint a grim picture of this town and I obviously wouldn't be doing anyone a favor with this :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
Oh god please everyone go have Gooncon: Croatia Edition with this guy as your tour guide and film the whole thing.