Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
also the myojin of night's reach could move toshiro from kamigawa to dominaria

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

suicidesteve posted:

I, too, associate most closely with a genius surrounded by morons.

Also I'm a Dragonkin.

it's more like

Archenteron posted:

Counterpoint: A reasonable adult surrounded by screaming teenagers. Much like my LGS on EDH night

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Ajani Vengeant is pissed off and enraged because Bolas killed his brother.

Ajani Steadfast is mournful that Heliod killed his best friend, but still carries on the ideals he and Elspeth represented.

Maturation!

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Chandra is the only one of the 4 I really like and that's cause she owns up to being a petulant brat

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Bonus posted:

well first of all Ulamog is indestructible and so you can't kill him with fire, only -X/-X effects and exile. secondly
Its like poetry:

Nissa tapped five forests to add 5 green mana to her mana pool. She used 2 to cast Bonds of Mortality, paid a green to activate its ability, and then use the remaining 2 to cast Channel. Chandra, her 2HG teammate, channels for 13 and taps a mountain to cast Fall of the Titans for its surge cost thanks to the spells that Nissa previously cast that turn. Good thing too, she couldn't channel for the 24 required to kill Kozilek without the Surge cost because she didn't have enough life to pay for it since she started at 20.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I hope they don't try anything like Big Set - Big Set any time soon. Let's let the new block format work a little bit before throwing in twists.

Zoness posted:

also the myojin of night's reach could move toshiro from kamigawa to dominaria

I like the idea that Dominaria is a weird exception to the Planeswalkers planeswalking only rule. But I'm not going to get too hung up on the lore.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

mandatory lesbian posted:

Chandra is the only one of the 4 I really like and that's cause she owns up to being a petulant brat

She actually has personality even if it entirely consists of "lol fire"

Nissa lost her elf supremacism and is basically nature-loving hippy number billion

Gideon is all grr argh justice I am so concerned with protecting the innocent let me make some speechs

Jace is actually a pretty interesting character in some of the fiction that has been written but he consists entirely of "smug douche" in cards

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I'm dreading the answer to this question, but how, exactly, is mana described in lore bullshit? Like, is the idea of gaining greater access to more mana the longer a fight goes on between two opponents explained in any way? Or is that aspect of the gameplay not really tied into lore at all?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

A big flaming stink posted:

She actually has personality even if it entirely consists of "lol fire"

Nissa lost her elf supremacism and is basically nature-loving hippy number billion

Gideon is all grr argh justice I am so concerned with protecting the innocent let me make some speechs

Jace is actually a pretty interesting character in some of the fiction that has been written but he consists entirely of "smug douche" in cards

I liked the part in this story where Jace says "please Ugin let me work with you," and Ugin's basically tells him he's a smug douche and can gently caress right off. I think in fairness, Jace had a pretty good point: he tried to set up a Hedron Trap for Ulamog the way Ugin wanted, but he couldn't have really foreseen the interference of Ob Nixilis.

BJPaskoff posted:

I hope they don't try anything like Big Set - Big Set any time soon. Let's let the new block format work a little bit before throwing in twists.

I like the idea that Dominaria is a weird exception to the Planeswalkers planeswalking only rule. But I'm not going to get too hung up on the lore.
"Planes" are basically just planets and the "Blind Eternities" are roughly equivalent to outer space. Dominaria is supposed to be the "nexus of the multiverse" but functionally it seems like its just a REALLY BIG planet (which is why you have whole sets based on various continents).

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Feb 24, 2016

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Double post:

Sealed Leagues coming to Magic Online March 2!

https://t.co/Pi5a8PXmwx

Pretty pricey though.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Feb 24, 2016

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Angry Grimace posted:

I liked the part in this story where Jace says "please Ugin let me work with you," and Ugin's basically tells him he's a smug douche and can gently caress right off. I think in fairness, Jace had a pretty good point: he tried to set up a Hedron Trap for Ulamog the way Ugin wanted, but he couldn't have really foreseen the interference of Ob Nixilis.

im pretty sure when a telepath and precognitive fails to foresee another person doing a thing it's incompetence rather than bad luck :tem:

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

Angry Grimace posted:

Double post:

Pretty pricey though.

https://twitter.com/SaffronOlive/status/702534711021731841

First format in a while that rewards grinders I think, though getting a good sealed pool is, in my experience, like a 3% possibility.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Angry Grimace posted:

to his defense foresee isn't in standard, just read the bones

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Devor posted:

Please format all lore-chat using italics so that I can ignore it along with flavor text

+1

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

alansmithee posted:

If you ban eye, why ban mimic? You don't get them free anymore.

Spite

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

Angry Grimace posted:

Double post:

Pretty pricey though.

Not really though? We've all been spoiled by stores losing money/breaking even on prerelease.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Brownhat posted:

Not really though? We've all been spoiled by stores losing money/breaking even on prerelease.

iirc prereleases are basically huge profits for stores because wotc sells those prelease kits at a very low price to the vendors

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Brownhat posted:

Let me tell you the difference between the price of real cards and digital cards.

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

Zoness posted:

iirc prereleases are basically huge profits for stores because wotc sells those prelease kits at a very low price to the vendors

Except they don't. Prerelease kit costs have been creeping up for years. They actually cost stores more than six boosters usually do now.

EDIT: And stores have to buy most, if not all, of their prize support for prereleases now.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

mandatory lesbian posted:

Venser is the only cool planeswalker. I guess Koth too

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
Look we've had this discussion before and the conclusion we reached is that the only cool Planeswalkers are Ral Zarek and maybe Tamiyo.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Alris posted:

Look we've had this discussion before and the conclusion we reached is that the only cool Planeswalkers are Ral Zarek and maybe Tamiyo.

I don't think there is a MAYBE when it comes to Tamiyo.

Tammy moon socks is the best planeswalker.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Sorry but it's definitely Jaya Ballard because she has the best flavor text.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Venser is the best. He has a mask like he's a big fan of the man in the iron mask, and also he has a sliver.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

uhhh Teferi is basically Michael Jordan so he is the coolest actually:

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Michael Jordan abused steroids

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
It's as if everyone you could ever admire is really a horrible monster inside.

I'm sure that even the desk I'm sitting in has a heroin addiction or something.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Zoness posted:

Sorry but it's definitely Jaya Ballard because she has the best flavor text.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

ShaneB posted:

I'm dreading the answer to this question, but how, exactly, is mana described in lore bullshit? Like, is the idea of gaining greater access to more mana the longer a fight goes on between two opponents explained in any way? Or is that aspect of the gameplay not really tied into lore at all?

I don't know if there's an answer now, but in the original manual for Magic, it talked about land holding a certain amount of mana and a planeswalker can make psychic links to lands in order to use their mana as well. And a planeswalker can sense someone else drawing mana out of nearby lands. I've always pictured Magic games as taking place over multiple days, and Innistrad's day and night system seems to support that.

Alpha posted:

Worzel soon found that gathering the proper mana for her protective spells was going to be difficult. She needed the mana of the countryside, and disturbances in the ether were preventing her from making the necessary psychic bonds to any of those lands. She had precious little to draw on in the first place, so it could take a while before she managed to get a link to the plains.

keeblerdrow
May 4, 2004
Still not king, damnit.
The only good planeswalker is a dead planeswalker.

#makedominariagreatagain

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

whydirt posted:

Oh man, the Chris Rush episode of Maro's podcast... :smith:

well I just finished it :smith:

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

rabidsquid posted:

Michael Jordan abused steroids

but he made a good scented cologne, something sweaty magic nerds could learn from

also space jam

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Gyshall posted:

but he made a good scented cologne, something sweaty magic nerds could learn from

also space jam

He's a cheater and a liar, and if you look up to a corrupt role model your life will go off the tracks

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Alris posted:

What's wrong with Karn and Tezz and Koth?

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

rabidsquid posted:

He's a cheater and a liar, and if you look up to a corrupt role model your life will go off the tracks

The same could be said of bugs bunny.

Also in Space Jam.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
as depicted in the seminal documentary work Tales of Game's Presents Chef Boyardee's Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden, Chapter 1 of the Hoopz Barkley SaGa, michael jordan is not a good person to learn from

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

God, this is great.

https://twitter.com/lsv/status/702615607234015232

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Clearly the only way for magic's plot to be fixed is for Garruk to get lured to and planeswalk to a lost piece of Dominaria that never got mended where a bunch of oldwalkers are chilling out/trapped, but they never stopped being immortal oldwalker gods because they weren't a part of the mending and now that someone has reached their little speck of broken plane, they are freed from their prison to return to the multiverse and kill off all of the idiots currently running around calling themselves planeswalkers.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Not really getting the Spreading Seas part other than as anti-nonbasic tech, but looks funny regardless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

?

It's there for Eye of Ugin / Eldrazi Temple which together make this whole Eldrazi nonsense possible in modern.

• Locked thread