Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

"Maybe some dolphins have sex for pleasure."
One of my sad pathetic hobbies is collecting the weird and pathetic and offensive and dumb questions that show up on Quora, so if we're posting those here, I will share some of my favorites:

Full Album

I have a whole bunch of old subtly, and not-so-subtly, racist ones saved somewhere, but I haven't seen any of those in a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Phthisis posted:

One of my sad pathetic hobbies is collecting the weird and pathetic and offensive and dumb questions that show up on Quora, so if we're posting those here, I will share some of my favorites:

Full Album

I have a whole bunch of old subtly, and not-so-subtly, racist ones saved somewhere, but I haven't seen any of those in a while.

:catstare:

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx

Phthisis posted:

Full Album

And if you've enjoyed this, I can't help but recommend this beautiful episode of The F-Plus.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Phthisis posted:

Is there really no PYF Quora thread? How can that be?

Minchin Dupree
Oct 23, 2008

...I'll smash them.

I'm blue.
The person who liked my comment is the same person commenting "#killjonahhill" :psyduck:

All these ~satire~ websites seem to have no idea what satire actually means, this is just a straight up fake story.

Of course the OP didn't even acknowledge my comment, instead liking the comment to murder Jonah Hill.

#savejonahhill

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

Minchin Dupree posted:

All these ~satire~ websites seem to have no idea what satire actually means, this is just a straight up fake story.

That's kind of the point. Make up something outrageous but believable, people who believe it share and spread it around for you and you get those sweet, sweet clicks and ad revenue. If anyone actually does some research and points out that the story is completely untrue, you just point to the tiny "this is a work of satire" printed at the bottom of the page and shrug.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Christo posted:

That's kind of the point. Make up something outrageous but believable, people who believe it share and spread it around for you and you get those sweet, sweet clicks and ad revenue. If anyone actually does some research and points out that the story is completely untrue, you just point to the tiny "this is a work of satire" printed at the bottom of the page and shrug.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guhBR12Yl-M

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Ein cooler Typ posted:

Has our society really become so degenerate that not knowing how to do drugs is considered a "bad" thing now?

If you're going to insult someone, it is best to understand what you are insulting. If you really obviously don't know what you're talking about, absolutely nobody is going to take you seriously.

/serious answer

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

CommonShore posted:

Yep - that's the "insipid argument" part. What is apt is the core observation that it's hypocritical for feminists to suggest that their opponents hold those opinions because they're too ugly to get pussy - "neckbeard" as a euphemism for "misogynist" is just a simple inversion of the "feminists and lesbians are just angry that they're too ugly to land a husband" line.
Yeah, I was actually pretty convinced by the part that said that when we criticize misogynists by saying that they look like this [picture of neckbeard], we are implicitly letting misogynists who look like this [picture of handsome-or-at-least-normal-looking guy] off the hook. I hadn't thought of it that way before.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

Isn't neckbeard an insult because originally it was targeting the guys who grew really lovely neckbeards in an attempt to seem really manly and intelligent?

To me it's always been guys with really fat necks who grow a thin covering of beard, making it look like they simply have a big bushy beard instead of a fat neck.

You're not fooling anybody!

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

What if they're too poor to be able to afford a razor, that's classism: The water is getting lukewarm, buddy

I spent too much money on fedoras and anime wallscrolls to afford a razor. Classism!

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
This one was posted in some group which seems to be a MLM scam based around drinking these Aloe Vera drinks. I kept myself in the group since it seems to be a good source of amusement, but the amount of bullshit is unreal. Originally it was just to help you lose weight, but unsurprisingly it now seems to cure just about everything else as well.

Anyway, i did post a comment saying this was pretty irresponsible and talking about herd immunity which needless to say was deleted immediately. There are now a load of replies on the lines of "the gel cured my childs asthma" etc etc...

A quarter of a million people have commented to say that this is a bag for holding pegs in. Half a million people have liked it.

Most of the comments are people saying 'Coke'...

VVVV Christ that pisses me off

Roblo has a new favorite as of 22:58 on Feb 24, 2016

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

Eponine posted:

If you're insulting someone's appearance in a conversation, you're past the point of having an intelligent, well thought-out discussion free of prejudices.

:(

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/pmqs-david-camerons-behaviour-was-a-lot-uglier-than-jeremy-corbyns-suit-a6893496.html

quote:

The PM also launched a seething personal attack on Corbyn that was completely uncalled for. After a Labour backbencher heckled him about his mother signing a petition opposing cuts to children’s centres, Cameron said “Ask my mother? I think I know what my mother would say. I think she’d look across the dispatch box and she’d say: put on a proper suit, do up your tie and sing the national anthem.” The hordes of backbenchers behind him descended into uncontrollable jeering and guffawing which seemed to go on for an eternity, not helped by the fact that Speaker Bercow failed to intervene.

:britain:

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

Roblo posted:

This one was posted in some group which seems to be a MLM scam based around drinking these Aloe Vera drinks. I kept myself in the group since it seems to be a good source of amusement, but the amount of bullshit is unreal. Originally it was just to help you lose weight, but unsurprisingly it now seems to cure just about everything else as well.

Anyway, i did post a comment saying this was pretty irresponsible and talking about herd immunity which needless to say was deleted immediately. There are now a load of replies on the lines of "the gel cured my childs asthma" etc etc...

A quarter of a million people have commented to say that this is a bag for holding pegs in. Half a million people have liked it.

Most of the comments are people saying 'Coke'...

VVVV Christ that pisses me off

From what I can tell, people post stuff like that so a bunch of dumb people look at their page/add them as a friend, and then they have a huge audience to shill MLM products to. Especially that It Works nonsense.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

I don't keep up with British politics, but I've heard good stuff about that Corbyn guy. I also haven't heard of him saying "well m8, say what you will, but i'm not the one who face-hosed a dead pig". How does he manage?

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Masonic Youth posted:

Yeah, I was actually pretty convinced by the part that said that when we criticize misogynists by saying that they look like this [picture of neckbeard], we are implicitly letting misogynists who look like this [picture of handsome-or-at-least-normal-looking guy] off the hook. I hadn't thought of it that way before.

this is entirely true though? Ugly men have to be extremely careful not to offend someone or they'll be labeled some brand of sex offender, while literal rapists like James Dean are fine if they're attractive.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

That macro makes no sense tacked onto her rant. If she has an autoimmune disease, the correct visual metaphor should really be Neo punching himself in the face.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE
May I present to you exhibit A in why Kanye is actually bad.

When Paul Ryan likes your views on things you must be doing it wrong.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Masonic Youth posted:

Maybe not in those exact words, but it is a point that people have made before, and it's pretty valid.
Basically it's two-fold:
a) It sets up a double standard, where it's ok to say "lol gently caress off neckbeard ugly virgin nolifer" to dismiss someone, despite knowing that "lol ugly fat dyke" is not ok
and
b) Similar to how Cumslut put it, it carries the connotation that ONLY neckbeards are awful. Don't agree with the first part of Cumslut's post about being afraid, but the last bit is kinda true. The James Deen thing was met with a dose of "b-but can it be??". I know that the guys from Sherlock have been asses on multiple occasions (no rape situations, but they're an easy example), and yet they're still fairly-well regarded, and don't you dare bring up that, say, Cumberbatch IIRC compared autistic people to Frankenstein's monster. Obviously, folks who look into it more realize and know that everyone can be a poo poo, but it's not a hard situation for someone to take advantage of for example.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Serperoth posted:

Maybe not in those exact words, but it is a point that people have made before, and it's pretty valid.
Basically it's two-fold:
a) It sets up a double standard, where it's ok to say "lol gently caress off neckbeard ugly virgin nolifer" to dismiss someone, despite knowing that "lol ugly fat dyke" is not ok
and
b) Similar to how Cumslut put it, it carries the connotation that ONLY neckbeards are awful. Don't agree with the first part of Cumslut's post about being afraid, but the last bit is kinda true. The James Deen thing was met with a dose of "b-but can it be??". I know that the guys from Sherlock have been asses on multiple occasions (no rape situations, but they're an easy example), and yet they're still fairly-well regarded, and don't you dare bring up that, say, Cumberbatch IIRC compared autistic people to Frankenstein's monster. Obviously, folks who look into it more realize and know that everyone can be a poo poo, but it's not a hard situation for someone to take advantage of for example.

What is Donald Trump? He has no policy aside from vague notions of American Exceptionalism mixed with strong nationalist tendencies (please note that the word "nationalist" is not a synonym for "fascist, racist or misogynistic" EVEN when applied to traditionally "white-anglo-saxon" nations). While he's very smart and well-educated, he's not a public intellectual. He's not a policy wonk. He's not a military hero. He's not even a lawyer with a career in politics. So, what is he?

He's a goddamned Alpha Male.

I've been saying for the past few years that Feminism (the monolithic manifestation of the Progressive Will to Power) is pushing too hard. They have essentially won. They control the schools, the universities, the legislatures, the courthouses, and the media. But, winning isn't enough for them. They want to destroy traditional culture and salt the Earth afterwards. That metaphor is especially apt. Feminism would rather create a barren, stagnant, impoverished Orwellian police state than permit males and females to naturally organize, work, and live in a natural state of equanimity.

Donald Trump, and his amazing candidacy, is a reaction to Feminism and Progressivism. Do you realize that working-class white males have become the radicals pushing against the oligarchy of entrenched leftism?

Who will be his opponent in the general election? It's not going to be Bernie Sanders. He's a puppet. The pantheon of leftist orthodoxy permitted Sanders to run against their anointed Queen because they know he has no chance of winning. Why do you think Bloomberg said he would only run as a third party candidate if Hillary did not win the nomination? Because, even though he's a billionaire, he knows who his masters are. All you have to do is look at the "super-delegate" count to see that Hillary is the Feminist/Leftist nominee for president. The race is a red-herring, a distraction from the truth that there really is no democratic process in the Democratic Party.

Think about it. Bernie Sanders is better on every. single. issue. that Leftist/Progressives claim to care about. Hillary is a corporate stooge. She was decidedly anti-homosexual until it became popular to support homosexuals. She's not anti-gun (because gun manufacturers are corporations, and Hillary loves corporations), she's anti-freedom-- she wants to have the power to determine who can possess guns. The list goes on and on.

So, this brings us back to Donald Trump. He might very well win the Republican nomination, and it scares the poo poo out of the Puppet Masters who own the Republicans and the Democrats. This was supposed to be Hillary's years. The Feminist Thought Police made sure of that by commanding the media to declare any voice in opposition to Hillary "misogynistic", just like any voice that is critical of Obama is "racist." These aren't real words that have any meaning. These words are tools of oppression, Thought-Crime, if you will, employed by the entrenched Leftist Oligarchy against any voice of dissent.

But, Lo, here comes Donald Trump-- a man who singularly seems to be immune from any type of Leftist criticism. It doesn't matter how many times the media calls him a misogynist, a racist, a fascist, a Nazi. He keeps winning. Why?

because we are in the midst of a social revolution. The people who have built this society and culture are simply tired of the parasites taking it away from them. America is a culture of Alpha Males, Muscular Christianity, and Social Darwinism. For the past 40 years, the Leftist/Progressive have tried to change that, and in fact, they did. But they pushed too hard. And Donald Trump is the vanguard of their Apocalypse.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Birb Katter posted:

May I present to you exhibit A in why Kanye is actually bad.

When Paul Ryan likes your views on things you must be doing it wrong.

Counterpoint, Paul Ryan also thinks Rage Against the Machine's songs are compatible with his political views. He's just stupid and uses batshit insane lolbertarian definitions of words that have no connection to reality.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Cumslut1895 posted:

..while literal rapists like James Dean are fine if they're attractive.

For a moment I thought there was a ton of dirt on the dead actor, until Google autocorrect kicked in and told me the scumbag dude is James Deen.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

I actually kind of disagree bout the neckbeard thing. It's kind of transcended the original meaning of "ugly rear end in a top hat" and has a little nebula of meanings, including but not limited to:

Over-opinionated
Condescending
Unpleasant
Selfish
Rude
Super stubborn
Unwilling to grow or change (stagnant as a person)

Poor hygiene (taking baths, not just shaving) can be a thing too. Like, you can be super good looking and still be a massive neckbeard. I've actually known quite a few attractive people I would call a neckbeard.

.......or, you know, I could just be looking at it sideways to the rest of the world and be absolutely wrong.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

EL BROMANCE posted:

For a moment I thought there was a ton of dirt on the dead actor, until Google autocorrect kicked in and told me the scumbag dude is James Deen.

Whoops. Sorry, rotting-corpse-of-james-dean

DicktheCat posted:

I actually kind of disagree bout the neckbeard thing. It's kind of transcended the original meaning of "ugly rear end in a top hat" and has a little nebula of meanings, including but not limited to:

Over-opinionated
Condescending
Unpleasant
Selfish
Rude
Super stubborn

Poor hygiene (taking baths, not just shaving) can be a thing too. Like, you can be super good looking and still be a massive neckbeard. I've actually known quite a few attractive people I would call a neckbeard.

.......or, you know, I could just be looking at it sideways to the rest of the world and be absolutely wrong.

Let's not pretend it's not an insult based on appearance.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

DicktheCat posted:

Over-opinionated
Condescending
Unpleasant
Selfish
Rude
Super stubborn

The people complaining about "neckbeard" having sexist connotations are usually the same kind of people who are totally unable to understand the context of something said or done and try to just classify certain words and actions as "bad" in 100% of situations.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS
Are "poo poo-poster" and "internet troll" appearance based? I tend to use those more. Neckbeard was cool, but it seems really dated now. And that's the only time "neckbeard" and "dated" can get used in a sentence together. :rimshot:

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
This neckbeard thing is dumb. If your beard looks bad on you, and you have the means to shave, and there's no cultural reason not to, shave it. You'll feel better and less itchy. Aside from that, go with the rule of 'don't be a dick to other people'.

There, simple.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Cumslut1895 posted:

Whoops. Sorry, rotting-corpse-of-james-dean

Let's not pretend it's not an insult based on appearance.

I'm not, I admit that's where it started, and is often used in the same way. What I'm saying is that it also has other traits and is a little more flexible than just appearance.

For example: I would call some of Richard Dawkins' behavior neckbeardy, despite him being well groomed and popular.

Sometimes the scope of words change over time.

E: Let's meet halfway and call people with the traits I outline "human garbage" instead, since there's no appearance or gender baggage.

DicktheCat has a new favorite as of 01:41 on Feb 25, 2016

FAROOQ
Aug 20, 2014

by Smythe
It's not a problem when I do it

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Calling people neckbeards probably is problematic, but not problematic enough for me to actually give a poo poo and stop doing it.

FAROOQ
Aug 20, 2014

by Smythe
I feel the same about harassing women at abortion shelters.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

FAROOQ posted:

I feel the same about harassing women at abortion shelters.

Yes, because those two things are analogous.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
There is nothing more important than taking the consideration of the feelings of white dudes on the Internet at all times.

FAROOQ
Aug 20, 2014

by Smythe
Now you're just being transphobic

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009

DicktheCat posted:

Over-opinionated
Condescending
Unpleasant
Selfish
Rude
Super stubborn

The formatting made me think at first glance that this was an acrostic poem, and then I was disappointed when it wasn't. :(

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Karma Monkey posted:

Are "poo poo-poster" and "internet troll" appearance based? I tend to use those more. Neckbeard was cool, but it seems really dated now. And that's the only time "neckbeard" and "dated" can get used in a sentence together. :rimshot:

These are things that are used when you have never seen a person, so no.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

DicktheCat posted:

I'm not, I admit that's where it started, and is often used in the same way. What I'm saying is that it also has other traits and is a little more flexible than just appearance.

For example: I would call some of Richard Dawkins' behavior neckbeardy, despite him being well groomed and popular.

Sometimes the scope of words change over time.

E: Let's meet halfway and call people with the traits I outline "human garbage" instead, since there's no appearance or gender baggage.

you're the kind of person that uinronicially describes people as "ugly inside" aren't you

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
I never thought about it before but now I am going to say "smug know-it-all loser" instead. I hope the smug know-it-all loser who wrote that article will be happy that I am critiquing his personality, intellect, and drive instead of his competence at shaving.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Someone tell me why there's been a massive surge in simple PEMDAS (don't be pedantic about the acronyms) math questions popping up on my Facebook feed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

So how about that new "liking" system on Facebook, eh?