Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I think it's important to remember that for the writers this probably isn't their only job. An 'afternoon' spent compiling files may very well be, "Hey SLS, please wait for me to get home from the farm/factory/Olive Garden so I can send you those files." I don't imagine this excuses the delays by a long shot but when imagining Holden et al sitting around all afternoon slowly compiling files it's something to keep in mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
I'm pretty sure that Holden and Mørke are both unemployed aside from this, although Mørke may be taking college classes right now? I know they're both pretty severely financially insecure.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

I'm pretty sure that Holden and Mørke are both unemployed aside from this, although Mørke may be taking college classes right now? I know they're both pretty severely financially insecure.

Still, being unemployed can take up a surprising amount of time especially if you don't have a lot of money coming in.

I'm not saying that there aren't a lot of unexplained delays over there, or that it's okay for a product to be this late. I'm just suggested that when you see "lol it takes 6 hours to update and send a file?" what may actually be going on is, "I will do that as soon as I can."

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Today's Monday Meeting update: "Ex 3 core book – From RichT: Maria adding bookmarks to PDF, prepping printer files, and we’re getting an index for it."

So, the book is done except for indexing. (I got confirmation on this from Holden.)

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
All the free time and focus in the world isn't going to help you if your actual workflow sucks, which is what's suggested by every single shred of evidence we have of the Ex3 layout and editing process.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Can we just, like, start a kickstarter to get these guys a copy of InDesign or get Chernobyl Peace Prize to do their layout for them or something?

because

there's an entire edition's worth of books to do yet

and

I want to see Alchemicals before I die

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Autonomous Monster posted:

Can we just, like, start a kickstarter to get these guys a copy of InDesign or get Chernobyl Peace Prize to do their layout for them or something?

because

there's an entire edition's worth of books to do yet

and

I want to see Alchemicals before I die

We can encourage them to include 'writers get basic tools they need to do their job' as a stretch goal for the next kickstarter I guess

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Thought of something for people who don't like the whole "Ignore all Essence requirements when learning Charms" aspect of Supernal skills but still like the idea of being the best person around at being a Melee fighter or a Social butterfly or whatever. Make it into a uber-specialty that applies to anything you do with that skill. So, for example, a Melee supernal guy gets a extra die when he does anything related to melee, whether it be dual wielding knives or swinging a battleaxe because he's just that good. Should also free up an extra specialty to round out your character a bit, as most people feel obliged to have at least one specialty for their Supernal skill.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
"Choose a skill; treat that skill as though it enjoys every conceivable specialty" is kind of cool, although it kind of undercuts a few lore charms and other effects that work by granting or moving around specialties.

Here's my unrelated time-saving idea: when battle groups make big attacks such that they'll be rolling attack dice at multiple solar PCs at once, instead of asking each PC if and how they defend and then rolling once they've decided, you just make one big roll for the battle group right away and let each individual respond with defensive charms or WP expenditures or whatever after the fact (rather than making ahead-of-roll blind bets). BUT the costs of any such charms are doubled, to represent the fact that they're probably being used repeatedly and also to counteract the incredible efficiency advantage you gain from being able to perfectly adjust how many motes to dump into your excellencies so as to just barely evade the attack.

Endings
Jan 17, 2012

Close your eyes...

Ferrinus posted:

"Choose a skill; treat that skill as though it enjoys every conceivable specialty" is kind of cool, although it kind of undercuts a few lore charms and other effects that work by granting or moving around specialties.

Here's my unrelated time-saving idea: when battle groups make big attacks such that they'll be rolling attack dice at multiple solar PCs at once, instead of asking each PC if and how they defend and then rolling once they've decided, you just make one big roll for the battle group right away and let each individual respond with defensive charms or WP expenditures or whatever after the fact (rather than making ahead-of-roll blind bets). BUT the costs of any such charms are doubled, to represent the fact that they're probably being used repeatedly and also to counteract the incredible efficiency advantage you gain from being able to perfectly adjust how many motes to dump into your excellencies so as to just barely evade the attack.

I might go with a flat surcharge instead of a doubling, but I'd have to play with various numbers to really figure it out.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
A flat surcharge was my first thought but since defensive charms might cost any combination of motes, willpower, and initiative it seemed really tricky to decide on.

Mr. Tambo
Feb 7, 2015
Oh, hey, a Kickstarter update. Is it finally

quote:

Right now, we are sending the totally corrected PDF out to get its index created, which should take a month

...oh.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

At this point I assume they somehow lost the money they need to print the books (e: bullish position on bitcoin, maybe) and Holden and Morke have to engage in high risk cat burglaries to raise enough funds.

Nessus fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Feb 25, 2016

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus
If they just released the PDF there would be a fan-made index in a week at most.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

A month is actually pretty fast for a professionally-made index.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

A month is a good turnaround time for a third-party indicer to knock something out, but the index of a book, when it is made by professionals, takes almost no time at all.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Rand Brittain posted:

Oh my god dude.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Schwarzwald posted:

If that's the interview that I think it is, then I don't remember it actually being that harsh on Exalted.

He did criticize the link between the first edition of Exalted and the oWoD, but that's isn't too terribly controversial a statement.

I read it as more a condemnation of White Wolf's NwoD trying to work in Exalted as the back story of everything.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Rand Brittain posted:

I do not believe this to be a true fact

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Liquid Communism posted:

I read it as more a condemnation of White Wolf's NwoD trying to work in Exalted as the back story of everything.

What?

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Liquid Communism posted:

The NWoD never did that. The OWoD briefly did that, but backed off fast.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
I think Exalted briefly did the reverse, as well, but I also don't remember that coming to much.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Rand Brittain posted:

I asked a friend of mine who teaches people how to use desktop publishing software and he said it'd probably be a day's work for a 400 page text. Say 3 days for a 700 page one like this. Granted, of course, you may be addressing a freelancer with a ton of other projects, because people in this economy either have nothing or are horribly overloaded so that the gods may feast on our sorrows, but I don't think it would take a month of work to do.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Nessus posted:

I asked a friend of mine who teaches people how to use desktop publishing software and he said it'd probably be a day's work for a 400 page text. Say 3 days for a 700 page one like this. Granted, of course, you may be addressing a freelancer with a ton of other projects, because people in this economy either have nothing or are horribly overloaded so that the gods may feast on our sorrows, but I don't think it would take a month of work to do.

I find it very difficult to believe that any given indexer could read Exalted 3e in three days, much less be in a position to know what needs to go into the index and what doesn't.

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

I find it very difficult to believe that what needs to go into the index and what doesn't will have any bearing on the index we get.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Rand Brittain posted:

I find it very difficult to believe that any given indexer could read Exalted 3e in three days, much less be in a position to know what needs to go into the index and what doesn't.
I would hope that there would be some input given to the person composing the index about what's important, but I may be taking a lot of things for granted about the traditional gaming industry. So what is the process usually like?

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

A month to produce an index with many errors would be reasonable and understandable for a team not using automatic indexing software. What is neither reasonable nor understandable is the team not using automatic indexing software in TYooL 2016 when it's available for loving free, to say nothing of cloud-based file-hosting services that would allow all members access to the latest revision pass at any time.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Rand Brittain posted:

As Chernobyl Peace Prize has said like five times, f they'd been keeping proper tags during the development process, the index would literally create itself with a single button press, and all you'd have to do is check for user error. Even assuming everyone involved with the project has another full time job, if they'd done that, lmao forever if you think that'd take more than a week.

If you seriously think a solid month of work is an acceptable turnaround time for an index for a project you've been working on for years, you've either never worked on a project like this, or never actually worked on a project like this where the bar for competence wasn't roughly "Bulk and Skull from Power Rangers."

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Brand Retain.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

spectralent posted:

I think Exalted briefly did the reverse, as well, but I also don't remember that coming to much.

I can't be completely sure, as I got into the line during 2E, but from what I'd seen the most it amounted to was the blurb on the back cover implying it's the pre-history of WoD.

I still think a game that basically amounts to a WoD/Exalted crossover is a good, or at least fun, idea. I am deeply sorry.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Bedlamdan posted:

I can't be completely sure, as I got into the line during 2E, but from what I'd seen the most it amounted to was the blurb on the back cover implying it's the pre-history of WoD.

I still think a game that basically amounts to a WoD/Exalted crossover is a good, or at least fun, idea. I am deeply sorry.

I'd agree, except it'd be oWoD, which is neither good nor fun, in this, AD 2016.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Rand Brittain posted:

No one should have to read anything, man. This should be automated!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Attorney at Funk posted:

I'd agree, except it'd be oWoD, which is neither good nor fun, in this, AD 2016.
*installs bloodlines at u*

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Nessus posted:

*installs bloodlines at u*

imho bloodlines is a good metaphor for oWoD in general because it starts out really strong in the beginning and by the end you're slogging through battles to the death with kaiju monsters.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
oh and, it's really only in an acceptable state if you download the fan-patch, which I suspect is a metaphor for houseruling.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Bloodlines was emblematic of oWoD revised, which was basically nWoD already. It told a local, character-driven story peppered with low-key weirdness.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

No one should have to read anything, man. This should be automated!

By "automated" people seem to mean that the writers should be trained to tag everything they write when they write it so that the index can be picked out that way. That isn't actually a small task, and given that RPG writers are already mostly underpaid to the point of being volunteers, it's not surprising that this isn't how it happens.

I don't actually know anybody who constructs indexes the way you're describing. Maybe it's more common in other industries? But it's not common here. If you think it ought to be, maybe you should start finding or creating best practices guides and sending them to the major RPG publishers so they can benefit from your experience!

...that's not even really sarcasm. I keep wishing I had a copy of "Developing A Complex Art Project With A Small Team of Fanatical Amateurs And Hardly Any Money For Dummies." If you write one, I'll buy it!

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Rand Brittain posted:

By "automated" people seem to mean that the writers should be trained to tag everything they write when they write it so that the index can be picked out that way. That isn't actually a small task, and given that RPG writers are already mostly underpaid to the point of being volunteers, it's not surprising that this isn't how it happens.

I don't actually know anybody who constructs indexes the way you're describing. Maybe it's more common in other industries? But it's not common here. If you think it ought to be, maybe you should start finding or creating best practices guides and sending them to the major RPG publishers so they can benefit from your experience!

...that's not even really sarcasm. I keep wishing I had a copy of "Developing A Complex Art Project With A Small Team of Fanatical Amateurs And Hardly Any Money For Dummies." If you write one, I'll buy it!

That's how we did Myriad Song, with two people, and Microsoft Word. Because it's easier that way.

I mean - yes, it's harder than just not doing it, but then you still need an index. If you're going to do the index, and you're writing a book, the easiest way to do it is to tag your poo poo and let the machine handle all the pagination.

I mean, I'm not just talking poo poo from a position of complete ignorance. I've been part of a project to make an RPG! With an index! This is a thing that I did!

What frustates me is that Holden and Mørke should have _more_ assets, _more_ tools, _more_ guidance from their peers than our tiny indie project did, and it seems like they've either no access to those things or they've actively rejected them?!

RiotGearEpsilon fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Feb 25, 2016

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I guess if you were building an index manually... well, I guess you could just build some kind of spreadsheet for the 700 Charms, which presumably are what people are likely to search for the most often, because they have to find Resplendent Crane Stance vs. Resplendent Crane Style.

Otherwise I'm figuring you have some kind of mix of:

* You have terms you want in your index, and the indexer hits ctrl-F on the final draft and marks down when they appear. (Alternately, they tag them for the autoindexing software.)
* The indexer goes through page by page and reads for key words and references if you're getting real completionist about every mention of the Guild or Dragon-Blooded or whatever, noting down which page they appear on. (And possibly also tagging them as they go.)

The immediately obvious bug is that you'd get twenty entries for DBs on the two pages where they appear, but I assume indexing software corrects for this somehow, and if not, it'd be relatively easy to remove extraneous entries in the final index.

This might not get you the most exhaustive index possible but Charms + similar + key terms + artifacts and monster outline names seems like it'd be a good go of it. How is indexing usually done?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danakir
Feb 10, 2014
The thing that bothers me most about this situation is that nobody at Onyx Path seems willing to admit there's a problem at all. We're supposed to pretend the project being so late is perfectly acceptable… somehow?

How are they supposed to do better with the other books if they won't sit down to even reflect on what went wrong? I mean, honestly. None of their other properties have this problem. Regardless of whether a month for an index is sensible, I don't think being years late is anything to brush off casually.

At the very least, I'd like to see a post-mortem eventually personally.