Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Slavvy posted:

Ditto. Everything is terrible and empty, there is no hidden meaning or mystical structure, there is no good solution beyond balancing hedonism in the now with slotting acorns away for an uncertain future and nothing will ever make you feel better like it's magic. It's all in your head. Just try not to think about how goddamn terrible nearly every aspect of this hideous fungus we call a civilisation is.

Sometimes I kinda envy those people who can just be happy.

I mean yeah, I can laugh at jokes and TV shows and people getting hurt in funny ways, but that's just a fleeting spark of dim light in the lovely dark. And of course I like cuddling with my girlfriend and spending time with her, because it feels nice. But that's a long way away from actual happiness.

But how can anyone be truly happy and content with how poo poo everything in the world is? It must take some ridiculous ignorance or willful denial of far too many things that should be weighing heavily on everyone's minds.

I can't remember the last time I was truly happy and content with the world. Probably back when I was like 5 years old or something, and I thought the world wasn't a horribly complicated pile of steaming poo poo.

Magnus Praeda posted:

Just because some dipshits wrap it up in woo-woo hippy b.s. doesn't mean there isn't an actual physiological rationale behind it.

Don't get me wrong, I can relax, take a deep breath, close my eyes and forget the outside world for a minute, but that doesn't need a fancy word, that's just calming down and putting everyone else on /ignore for a little while. Big deal, everyone does that.

The only thing that stirs my feelings in a big way or gets me even moderately close to happiness is music. Preferably very angry and very loud music. Drown out the world.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Feb 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

KozmoNaut posted:

Sometimes I kinda envy those people who can just be happy.

Do you really want to be one of those shitlords that is happy all the time? Part of what makes life enjoyable is coming back from the lows, if you don't know what bad is like are you really going to enjoy poo poo when it's good?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

maybe that was my purpose in life all along, catalyze all you guys' spiritual awakenings

u'r welcome

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

1500quidporsche posted:

Do you really want to be one of those shitlords that is happy all the time? Part of what makes life enjoyable is coming back from the lows, if you don't know what bad is like are you really going to enjoy poo poo when it's good?

They seem pretty upbeat about it, honestly.

One of my colleagues is this happy-peppy type guy who's also into crystals, feng shui, clairvoyance, the whole shebang. He's always got a goofy smile on his face, and no matter what comes up at work with botched releases or other fuckups, he's just there in the middle of it all, in his usual happy-go-lucky, "let's play guitar and make this work great together!" type mood.

Maybe he cries himself to sleep every night or something, but I kinda doubt it.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

KozmoNaut posted:

But how can anyone be truly happy and content with how poo poo everything in the world is? It must take some ridiculous ignorance or willful denial of far too many things that should be weighing heavily on everyone's minds.

And that's where the difference is. I can be happy in situations not because of how hosed up the world is, but in spite of it. You can go the nihilism route, but there's something past that -- enjoyment. Yes, nothing matters, we're insignificant, nothing means anything... but when we can make moments we enjoy, with people we enjoy? loving revel in that, because it shouldn't be, either.

But it is. If you recognize happiness, you can create it. I have some poo poo things in my life, struggles that will go on for decades, but so the gently caress what? Who doesn't? At the end of the day, I can enjoy being with my family, my wife, or even just myself.

If you don't have that, it takes time and work to get, but the rewards are great. We are insignificant walking bags of mostly water and our synapses are making realities that are different for every one of us... but those synapses can work for us and release endorphin that makes us feel. Enjoy the feelings, enjoy the silence, recognize the world is poo poo... but yours doesn't have to be.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

meatpimp posted:

But it is. If you recognize happiness, you can create it. I have some poo poo things in my life, struggles that will go on for decades, but so the gently caress what? Who doesn't? At the end of the day, I can enjoy being with my family, my wife, or even just myself.

I have that. A girlfriend who's pretty much as dorky and socially dysfunctional as me (she moderates a Minecraft stream chat, for crying out loud), and a loving family that I enjoy spending time with.

But in my mind at least, there's a pretty big leap from enjoyment to outright happiness.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

scuz posted:

I once hated the cloud as you did, but now I have embraced it. Come with me towards the light where major email outages are Someone Else's Problem and maintenance does itself.

My Exchange servers Just Work (because I know what the hell I'm doing) and maintenance is a good excuse to work out of hours when I want to. Cloud can go gently caress itself.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

My Exchange servers Just Work (because I know what the hell I'm doing) and maintenance is a good excuse to work out of hours when I want to. Cloud can go gently caress itself.

CT is stuck in the past. YOU'RE STUCK IN THE PAST, MAAAAN!

EDIT: I used to have a Chrome extension that replaced all instances of "the cloud" with "THE CLAAAW". It was pretty good.

https://vimeo.com/18184623

The Prong Song fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Feb 24, 2016

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I'm sorry that you're paying to suck off Microsoft.

At least it isn't Oracle I guess...

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Slavvy posted:

FWIW I think therapists are like mechanics for your brain but they can't get in there with a screwdriver themselves, all they can do is tell you how to use the tools and what goes where. Kind of like when a mate needs help with his car and I stand there telling him what to do without getting my hands dirty :v:

The analogy works, here's what happens when AI posters try it:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

There is no such thing as "The Cloud", only "other people's computers".

That said, I'm very satisfied with Google Drive and Docs. And we're using Office 365 at work. Surprisingly it's not 100% poo poo.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Sigma X posted:

CT is stuck in the past. YOU'RE STUCK IN THE PAST, MAAAAN!

My breaker points, solid lifters, and mechanical voltage regulator Just Work and maintenance is a good excuse to work out in the garage when I want to.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Enourmo posted:

heres the thing i did all the right things that you're "supposed" to do a while back

Yeah the thing that sucks is you have to keep doing them and sometimes it sucks and you feel bad regardless.

Go get some loving help. Finding a therapist that I got along with well enough to open up to helped start changing my life around to a significant degree, and while stuff is still a massive effort some days, I now actually have some tools other than weed, booze and self pity to deal with them, and the other important life foundation poo poo like diet, sleep and exercise was suddenly a lot easier to snap into place. I wish I had done it years ago, hell, part of the therapy was me grieving over lost time spent being ill and doing nothing about it. Don't be a me and let it fester for years, go get help and stick with it rather than shouting up from the bottom of the well about the poor quality of the piss and how slippery the walls are.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

KozmoNaut posted:

I have that. A girlfriend who's pretty much as dorky and socially dysfunctional as me (she moderates a Minecraft stream chat, for crying out loud), and a loving family that I enjoy spending time with.

But in my mind at least, there's a pretty big leap from enjoyment to outright happiness.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
I mean if I had like a *nix server running email at home, fine, awesome, but I don't, so google-all-the-way! :buddy: In related news, guess who's installing Microsoft Access 2003

Pham Nuwen posted:

The analogy works, here's what happens when AI posters try it:

What's the best way to get that blown-up into like a 46"x32" picture so i can frame it? I love that picture, reference it all the time.

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Rick and Morty is the best show. Ever.

Edit: damnit wrong image
Well you're not wrong!

scuz fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Feb 24, 2016

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

BrokenKnucklez fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Feb 24, 2016

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

scuz posted:

In related news, guess who's installing Microsoft Access 2003

What the gently caress is wrong with you.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I spent a few extra bucks on the dozens of ebay headlights for ones that said waterproof, and I got them today and it still says to seal them with silicone. :argh:

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with you.
  • Client needs to change something thing in an Access database they setup a loooong time ago
  • scuz hunts and pecks and searches for an Access installer that matches client's current Office version (2010)
  • scuz finds an Office Pro 2003 installer
  • scuz installs Access 2k3 after everyone in his loving company doesn't have an answer as to where the 2010 version is, and the client doesn't either
  • scuz finds out that this particular unnamed client's licensing is being piggy-backed (a nice way of saying stolen) from other clients
  • scuz's manager finds out and lays a brick
:buddy: I cannot WAIT to see how this pans out.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Gravity Falls is a strong contender.

It hits some nostalgia buttons for me, which haven't been hit in a looooong time.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Cage posted:

I spent a few extra bucks on the dozens of ebay headlights for ones that said waterproof, and I got them today and it still says to seal them with silicone. :argh:

That sounds like this "no caulk drain" that I had to install. Then I read and it says "Caulk around the lower rim". You guys said no caulk, it means I shouldn't have to run back to Home Depot right before they close! But it leaked anyways, switched to plumbers putty, problem solved.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

When I look at my Impreza's headlights, polished by me two years ago and now as cloudy as ever, I wish for $40 sealed beams. :sigh:

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

scuz posted:

• Client needs to change something thing in an Access database they setup a loooong time ago
  • scuz hunts and pecks and searches for an Access installer that matches client's current Office version (2010)
  • scuz finds an Office Pro 2003 installer
  • scuz installs Access 2k3 after everyone in his loving company doesn't have an answer as to where the 2010 version is, and the client doesn't either
  • scuz finds out that this particular unnamed client's licensing is being piggy-backed (a nice way of saying stolen) from other clients
  • scuz's manager finds out and lays a brick
:buddy: I cannot WAIT to see how this pans out.

You poor bastard.

Just had a look through my work poo poo and we have an ISO for Office XP. :v:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

KozmoNaut posted:

Gravity Falls is a strong contender.

It hits some nostalgia buttons for me, which haven't been hit in a looooong time.

Agreed, Gravity Falls is superb.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

88h88 posted:

Agreed, Gravity Falls is superb.

Not emptyquoting, but yes

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Speaking of shows for kids, has anyone been watching Steven Universe? I'm waiting for the second season to finish so I can torrent it all in one go.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I enjoy it, but I'm also waiting for it to finish. I hate waiting week to week.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

kastein posted:

I'm sorry that you're paying to suck off Microsoft.

At least it isn't Oracle I guess...

Guess what the majority of the servers I manage are?

(Hint - Not Microsoft)

Bucephalus posted:

My breaker points, solid lifters, and mechanical voltage regulator Just Work and maintenance is a good excuse to work out in the garage when I want to.

The Cloud is your car's ECU in someone else's truck.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Cakefool posted:

If I lived a mile from work I'd alternate between not giving a poo poo about fuel prices in a V8 and cycling in.

E:bosuoku 1UZ TT RX8.
Right there with ya.

I'm about 4 miles from my office.
I really should be riding to work, don't have much in the way of good storage for the bike, though.

At current gas prices I really couldn't care less right now about getting 12-14 mpg. I'm at 2400 miles 6 months into the Mustang.

KozmoNaut posted:

There is no such thing as "The Cloud", only "other people's computers".

That said, I'm very satisfied with Google Drive and Docs. And we're using Office 365 at work. Surprisingly it's not 100% poo poo.
My boss' brother runs a print shop. Thus:

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Feb 25, 2016

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Safety Dance posted:

Speaking of shows for kids, has anyone been watching Steven Universe? I'm waiting for the second season to finish so I can torrent it all in one go.

its on hiatus after the last week-long block of episodes, no word yet when it comes back again

's a good show tho

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

$9.61 shipping for a $0.17 screw. Anyone have one of these they're willing to mail to me?

https://www.fastenal.com/products/details/0143967

Alternatively, how do I make my local fastenal order a part for me?

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

My boss told us the other day thats hes taken our most irritating and usless coworker and put him out doing jobs on his own before he "Has an industrial accident" :stonk:

He gets paid more than us, does less than us, can make an absolutely meaningless task last HOURS (like doing a pre-op check on a tractor. Its a 15 min tick n flick checking oils, waters, things like that) and he can make it take 3 hrs- but if you pull him up on it, he'll just say "Dont you want me to do the pre-op properly and thoroughly?"

Apparently management is worried that hes going to "fall" into the wood chipper one day!

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

KozmoNaut posted:

I can't remember the last time I was truly happy and content with the world. Probably back when I was like 5 years old or something, and I thought the world wasn't a horribly complicated pile of steaming poo poo.

The only thing that stirs my feelings in a big way or gets me even moderately close to happiness is music. Preferably very angry and very loud music. Drown out the world.

Music works exactly the same for me too. A couple of beers and a loud gig makes me happy and content for the duration!

I've been to see Enter Shikari tonight in a small, sweaty venue in Wales. was great fun :)

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

kastein posted:

e: I'm alright trying to help people but from my occasional glances into E/N it's more like trying to get a 300ZX owner to put new battery cables on than trying to talk a buddy through repairing their car while standing off to the side with a beer, metaphorically speaking.

This is a very true statement. Also whenever I think of him and those loving pajama pants I laugh. Ohhhh the euphoria of a curve at 80 mph in an Indiana custom turbo 300zx

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
The one time in my life i have 2 grand burning a hole in my pocket and there is nothing remotely cool on CL to waste it on.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Any one have experience with Eastwood or Longevity welders? Both brands have a 200 amp mig welder that are reasonably priced, and both have 100% duty cycle at 130 amps which is perfect for what I want to do. The Miller 211 is only 30% at 130 amps and the Hobart 210mvp is about the same. To get the better duty cycle in a Miller I am looking at the 212, which is pushing 1800 bucks.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Woo! Finally got my hands on some real Psuedorephidrine to deal with this head cold of mine. Im sick of my sinus' having a sloshing feeling...

The gov cracked down hard on the sale of real Psuedo so everyone changed their forumula to use Phenylephidrine... which doesnt loving work. Its almost at the stage where its easier to actually go and find a drug dealer, buy some ice off him and then break it down to extract the real pseudo out of it than go to the loving pharmacy and buy tablets.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Ferremit posted:

Woo! Finally got my hands on some real Psuedorephidrine to deal with this head cold of mine. Im sick of my sinus' having a sloshing feeling...

The gov cracked down hard on the sale of real Psuedo so everyone changed their forumula to use Phenylephidrine... which doesnt loving work. Its almost at the stage where its easier to actually go and find a drug dealer, buy some ice off him and then break it down to extract the real pseudo out of it than go to the loving pharmacy and buy tablets.

Glad that Australia is the same as us, then.

I finally got some as well (yay free medical) and then forgot them at loving work.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

alright which one of you is this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Eew. Compressed air is full of bitterants.

• Locked thread