Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

cyberia posted:

I'm not trying to troll with this question but honestly, what is the appeal of owning a dog with crazy prey instincts like that? Particularly if you're just a normal schlub living in the suburbs and not, like, a hunter or farmer or something. I like my 10 pound, easy-mode fluffball and even he can be a terror when he wants to be. I can't imagine owning an animal that I can't pick up and carry around and also wants to / has the capacity to chase and kill things.
In my grandpa's case, it was that they had previously owned a purebred wire fox terrier - my dad says she was a pretty normal, happy, active dog - and they assumed getting another dog of the same breed was a good bet. Then they spoiled him rotten, didn't train him at all, and refused to neuter him, and on top of that he was just naturally loving insane.

So basically the craziness wasn't intentional, but they loved him and there was no question of "appeal" - that's just who he was. The next two fox terriers still went nuts over squirrels, but they didn't go nuts all drat day over nothing.

Speaking of terriers, I've been looking at a mini schnauzer at the local shelter. She is 7 and the calmest, sweetest little terrier-type dog I've seen. Is that normal for schnauzers? I don't know any others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

big dog and little dog getting one well so far

cloudy
Jul 3, 2007

Alive to the universe; dead to the world.

pookel posted:

Speaking of terriers, I've been looking at a mini schnauzer at the local shelter. She is 7 and the calmest, sweetest little terrier-type dog I've seen. Is that normal for schnauzers? I don't know any others.

I've only met one older mini schnauzer, and she was very sweet and calm indoors. She still liked to have a run around the backyard and bark at stuff though.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Went to the vet to clear up some issues with Stanley ... mostly his soft poop.

The verdict was an eye infection, ear infection in both ears, and giardia.

That was a quick and unexpected $300.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Verman posted:

Went to the vet to clear up some issues with Stanley ... mostly his soft poop.

The verdict was an eye infection, ear infection in both ears, and giardia.

That was a quick and unexpected $300.

Welcome to dog ownership. I'm so pumped when I spend less than $300 at the vet's office. It's a loving miracle every time.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
My puppy is great about the crate until I leave his sight and he has a complete meltdown that lasts around 30 minutes. Full on barking and panting. He doesn't harm himself but it's way more intense than what I've experienced before. Is this normal puppy growing pains? He's 4.5 months old. I've looked into a manners minder. Also have read McConnells "I'll be home soon".

He seems to do a lot better if I don't crate him, but would rather for his safety, the safety of my furniture, and to let my old dog have the day to herself without puppy shenanigans.

I feel bad cause he can't just chill and take a nap because he must follow me everywhere.

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Feb 26, 2016

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I am now the owner of a 6 month old beagle. Said beagle was walked for a majority of the afternoon and decided to wait until we had just gotten back into our AirBnB place before making GBS threads on the floor in front of the owner. Yaaaaaaaaaay.

I scrubbed the floors twice over, but the damage has been done.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I went to the store looking for a brush/comb for my GSD and there are 10 different types and I have no idea what to get. Any recommendations? I want something I can comb/brush her with every day and possibly cut down on the dog hair tumble weeds blowing around my house.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
get an undercoat rake and a shedding blade

and maybe start vacuuming your dog or praying

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Triangulum posted:

get an undercoat rake and a shedding blade

and maybe start vacuuming your dog or praying

Those look great, thanks for the advice :)

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
puppy eats so much dog poo poo you can smell it from his breath when he passes by. super gross

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
maybe make an attempt not to let him eat the poo poo?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Malachite_Dragon posted:

maybe make an attempt not to let him eat the poo poo?

Effort really isn't in Dyna Soar's vocabulary.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
lol, you guys still pissy? give it a rest will you.

i'm making active effort, i think he made a habit out of it when he was growing up in a kennel. prob. wasn't fed that well & ate poo poo for the nutrients. it's a hard habit to break though, i take the dogs out to the forest to run and there's a lot of wildlife and there so a lot of poo poo too. other dog owners take their dogs there and no one picks up poo poo from the forest even though they probably should.

he's really good in following the "leave it" command, so if i see him getting too interested in something i can stop him in time. but that's only if i'm close enough, sometimes he runs out of sight, eats a turd and comes running back to me grinning. i'm sure that with active training he'll grow out of it, i've more or less trained him out of the other nasty habits he had when we got him. still, some dogs will never stop eating poo poo if they get the chance, i hope he's not one of them.

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Feb 29, 2016

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
try this crazy thing called a leash

or just keep letting him eat poo poo, w/e

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Triangulum posted:

try this crazy thing called a leash

or just keep letting him eat poo poo, w/e

can't keep him on a leash forever

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
I don't know, my dogs love bunny poo poo. And that poo poo's really hidden so I won't realize it's around until they're snarfing it up. Also it's all over our backyard, and I do want to let them roam our backyard leashless. The moment I see them shoving their whole face into the dirt, I get them away but it's not something you can really train them to stop doing with positive reinforcement training. You can only distract the best you can.

Our vet doesn't think it's a big deal so I just control the amount as best I can.

edit Now that I think about maybe bunny poo poo isn't a big deal but dog poo poo is? I don't know, I'm just not sure how I would deal with it either even though dog poo poo is more visible. You just miss things sometimes.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Rurutia posted:

I don't know, my dogs love bunny poo poo. And that poo poo's really hidden so I won't realize it's around until they're snarfing it up. Also it's all over our backyard, and I do want to let them roam our backyard leashless. The moment I see them shoving their whole face into the dirt, I get them away but it's not something you can really train them to stop doing with positive reinforcement training. You can only distract the best you can.

Our vet doesn't think it's a big deal so I just control the amount as best I can.

yeah, exactly. dog poo poo is nasty though and can be infested with worms and other parasites.

our older dog loves rabbit and deer poo poo too and since i live right next to the woodlands i can't really do much them occasionally eating some. i'm not worried about those though, they don't really smell and i don't think herbivore parasites can infect dogs.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Dyna Soar posted:

there's a lot of wildlife

Do you have any idea how sick your dog could get eating wildlife poo poo? Because it's pretty bad sick and most of us who have dogs that do it are aware of the warning signs and I want to be sure you are too.

E: should've read further. Guess you don't.

Dyna Soar posted:

i don't think herbivore parasites can infect dogs.

:cripes:

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
eh, vet wasn't worried and said that exact thing, that most of our local herbivore (meaning rabbit, deer and elk and maybe cow to an extent) parasites don't infect dogs. you shouldn't let your dog indulge in wildlife droppings, but it's not really that dangerous if they occasionally sneak a poopy treat when you're not watching.

dogs eat all bunch of really nasty stuff if they get the chance, like moldy food and whatnot. naturally we try and keep them from doing it and i really salute you if you can honestly say your dog has never eaten something forbidden or that's bad for it.

i'd be really interested in seeing a respectable source that says that dogs eating poo poo is somehow abnormal or super dangerous.

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Feb 29, 2016

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

Dyna Soar posted:

can't keep him on a leash forever

yeah you absolutely can (most people with greys and huskies have to) but you could just also keep him on leash til you can control him better. it's not like it's rocket science, if your dogs doing lovely things off lead keep him on leash til you teach him not to.

Dyna Soar posted:

i don't think herbivore parasites can infect dogs.

they definitely can, don't be a retard

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
the incredibly difficult two step process to keep your dog from eating hosed up things

1. keep it on leash if it grazes on random poo poo it finds on the ground. muzzle it if eats dangerous poo poo like rocks

2. keep your garbage and food where it can't get it or better yet, train it not to

w o w

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Triangulum posted:

yeah you absolutely can (most people with greys and huskies have to) but you could just also keep him on leash til you can control him better. it's not like it's rocket science, if your dogs doing lovely things off lead keep him on leash til you teach him not to.

it's not about control, really since he does come when called and drops whatever is in his mouth when told to. it's more about that nasty habit that i need to break. it doesn't happen every day or even every week, but now and then he finds a poop he just has to have i guess.

Triangulum posted:

they definitely can, don't be a retard

well, again i'd like to see a source that says so. i know that dog poo poo and human poo poo are dangerous but from what i understand and what my vet told me is that herbivore poo poo is relatively harmless.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

Dyna Soar posted:

it's not about control, really since he does come when called and drops whatever is in his mouth when told to. it's more about that nasty habit that i need to break. it doesn't happen every day or even every week, but now and then he finds a poop he just has to have i guess.

The more he practices the habit the harder it's gonna be to break and if he's far away from you, you can't stop him from eating poo poo. If you want him to stop eating poo poo you're gonna need to keep him close by for a while.

Personally I view off leash freedom for dogs as a privilege not a right. If they behave and don't do poo poo you hate, fine go crazy but there's nothing wrong with taking away that privilege for a while. There are plenty of ways to exercise a dog without taking off the leash.

Triangulum fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Feb 29, 2016

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Triangulum posted:

The more he practices the habit the harder it's gonna be to break and if he's far away from you, you can't stop him from eating poo poo. If you want him to stop eating poo poo you're gonna need to keep him close by for a while.

hmm, i guess. we go there maybe once every 3 or 4 days and as i said, he doesn't usually do it, just rarely. he leaves all poop alone when leashed which is progress since when we got him he used to lunge at every poo poo he saw.

eh, maybe i'm rushing it a bit with keeping him free. both dogs just love running in the forest together.

I am not a book
Mar 9, 2013
I want a dachshund but I'm worried about back issues, is that just something I'd have to live with, or are there some that are worse than others?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I am not a book posted:

I want a dachshund but I'm worried about back issues, is that just something I'd have to live with, or are there some that are worse than others?

Even well bred dogs unfortunately have issues sometimes.

Dyna Soar posted:

well, again i'd like to see a source that says so. i know that dog poo poo and human poo poo are dangerous but from what i understand and what my vet told me is that herbivore poo poo is relatively harmless.

http://www.southarundelvet.com/sites/site-2440/documents/Eimeria.pdf Hope you like Giardia.

E: And get a better loving vet.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

that link says pretty much the same as my vet? apparently there are some parasites that can be infected, but it doesn't say anything about how common they are nor if they can't be infected from other sources like dirt, sticks etc.

here's a vet saying the opposite :)

http://www.southwestjournal.com/voices/voices/keeping-your-dog-safe-around-rabbits

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Feb 29, 2016

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Dyna Soar posted:

that link says pretty much the same as my vet? apparently there are some parasites that can be infected, but it doesn't say anything about how common they are nor if they can't be infected from other sources like dirt, sticks etc.

You are literally dumber than the poo poo your dog is eating.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

You are literally dumber than the poo poo your dog is eating.

maybe a mod should send you to cool down a bit? you seem to be taking this personally.

here's a vet saying the opposite btw:

http://www.southwestjournal.com/voices/voices/keeping-your-dog-safe-around-rabbits

i've also got a link with a researcher from the finnish center for disease control saying the same, but it's unfortunately in finnish.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

quote:

Parasites that potentially could be transmitted from rabbits to dogs via ingesting their droppings
are Cryptosporidia and Giardia

c'mon at least read the whole thing

is it the end of the world? probably not. is it something you should allow? probably not, especially since yours is an equal opportunity shiteater

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Dyna Soar posted:

maybe a mod should send you to cool down a bit? you seem to be taking this personally.

here's a vet saying the opposite btw:

i've also got a link with a researcher from the finnish center for disease control saying the same, but it's unfortunately in finnish.

I mean, google translate exists. But no. You are just ceaselessly stupid about everything and antagnostic and you're either trolling (which I've said before) or you just willfully want to do poo poo wrong with your dog, man. I don't know which, but it gets old.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Went to the dog park yesterday. Our dog had a good time and socialized well with the other dogs and owners.

And then an owner walked in with a mastiff that had a "In training" harness on. He said his dog was a little fearful and he wanted to socialize it with some other dogs so it learns how to behave. Then he walked over to the corner and ignored his dog. You can imagine how it went.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Triangulum posted:

is it the end of the world? probably not. is it something you should allow? probably not, especially since yours is an equal opportunity shiteater

well, as i posted before it's not something i allow, nor is it something my vet said you should let your dog do, but at the same time it's not really that dangerous. we all de-worm our dogs twice a year, right?

i know giardia you can get from a watersource or just the soil. not sure about crptospo i'd guess it would be the same.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
http://kuono.fi/miksi-koirat-syovat-kakkaa-2/

quote:

Eating Kakan is probably one of the dogs bizarre and disgusting ways. But what is the owner feels disgusting, is for dogs, and many other predators, quite ordinary käyttäytymispiirre.

Eating feces is a natural way for dogs. One of the reasons why wolves initially we started to tame and accepted in human settlements, was that they allowed the droppings from ancestors. Emokoira eat puppies droppings to keep the nest clean. Some dogs again are the actual greedy, who-popping almost anything edible - and unfit. In particular, the cat's feces for many dogs seem to be real treat.

eating other animals' feces can be caused by nutrients, such as, for example, the lack of B-vitamins. The dog may also have a medical condition that prevents the absorption of nutrients. Also, too confined space held and bored puppies may eat their own ulosteitaan.

Probably the reason why dogs eat feces, however, is not known. Some of it has become a habit, and some dogs eat feces in order to obtain nutrients. The stool is always some unmelted material remained. Ällöttävyydestään despite eating Kakan rarely will flow to the dog no harm.

- In particular, horse droppings and the hare and rabbit droppings often dogs like taste. chopping the fibers in these animals contained in vegetable food takes place in solid and in the large intestine by microorganisms and they are producing at the same time, for example, B-vitamins. It may be one reason why dogs like to eat them. faeces of horses, rabbit and hare does not stick to a dog parasites. Feces always contain a lot of bacteria, but the stools of healthy animals is generally not harmful to dogs disease-causing bacteria, says Professor Marjukka Anttila, Evira's Pathology Research Unit.

The provision of sufficient and high-quality food for dogs may lead it to refrain from eating Kakan. If a dog eats your ulosteitaan, they should be repaired quickly out or just walk the dog on a leash, so it is easier to control. If your dog is eating Kakan pastime, it obviously needs more substitutes stimuli, such as toys, monitors and exercise.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I mean, google translate exists. But no. You are just ceaselessly stupid about everything and antagnostic and you're either trolling (which I've said before) or you just willfully want to do poo poo wrong with your dog, man. I don't know which, but it gets old.

i don't really understand, how do you think i'm willfully hurting my dog exactly? how am i being antagonistic? i'd say most of my posts have been civil and my dogs are healthy and well behaved. the puppy has a lot to learn but he's doing really great all things considering.

since that link you posted does actually name the parasites, i'll be sure to ask my vet about them.

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Feb 29, 2016

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
also i have to add that ALL dogs have some parasites in their digestive system. every single one unless they live in laboratory conditions. what i've said from the start is that herbivore droppings are relatively harmless and what i mean by that is that your dog could just as well pick up parasites or a bacterial infection from wherever. is it something you should encourage? no, but neither is it something you should fear.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
you ask questions or complain about things your dog does and then get huffy when people give you simple, straightforward solutions. it's kinda strange tbh and you're dogs poo poo eating definitely isn't the first time, you also got huffy and weird when people suggested incredibly common sense solutions for keeping your dog from destroying your belongings (that didn't involve crating!). if you're not willing to put forth any effort into fixing problems, then don't complain about them.

youre doing this to yourself and i legit don't understand the motivation behind things like complaining that your dog eats poo poo and then going NO poo poo EATING IS ACTUALLY COOL AND GOOD

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
One of my acquaintance's dogs died when they ate some wild animal droppings. It's probably not worth letting them go wild.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Triangulum posted:

you ask questions or complain about things your dog does and then get huffy when people give you simple, straightforward solutions. it's kinda strange tbh and you're dogs poo poo eating definitely isn't the first time, you also got huffy and weird when people suggested incredibly common sense solutions for keeping your dog from destroying your belongings (that didn't involve crating!). if you're not willing to put forth any effort into fixing problems, then don't complain about them.

well, to be fair i actually did smack my own forehead when someone mentioned baby gates and actually went out and bought one. posted about it straight away, too. so maybe we remember that differently, but thankfully you can read back and see how it actually went.

Triangulum posted:

youre doing this to yourself and i legit don't understand the motivation behind things like complaining that your dog eats poo poo and then going NO poo poo EATING IS ACTUALLY COOL AND GOOD

i haven't actually said anything even resembling this at any point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
"Relatively harmless" is not the same as "totally harmless", and your vet meant "you don't have to make an emergency visit if he manages to sneak a bite of rabbit poo poo before you notice", not "he can eat as much rabbit poo poo as he wants, no harm done, nature is just one big buffet table for dogs".

Dyna Soar posted:

http://kuono.fi/miksi-koirat-syovat-kakkaa-2/

i don't really understand, how do you think i'm willfully hurting my dog exactly? how am i being antagonistic? i'd say most of my posts have been civil and my dogs are healthy and well behaved. the puppy has a lot to learn but he's doing really great all things considering.

since that link you posted does actually name the parasites, i'll be sure to ask my vet about them.

That link you posted said that it's not dangerous for dogs to eat the poo poo of healthy animals. The problem with poo poo-eating (other than the fact that it's gross) is that you have no loving idea about the health status of whatever animal left that pile of poo poo. It might be healthy, or it might be parasite-infested...and since all animal poo poo is potentially-infested and you have absolutely no way of knowing other than to wait for your dog to get sick from it, the responsible thing to do is treat all animal poo poo as dangerous.

Sure, they can also be infected by other things, like drinking contaminated water or eating contaminated dirt...but your dog shouldn't be doing those things either! You're endangering their dogs by totally neglecting your responsibility as their owner to keep them out of trouble, because rather than preventing your dogs from eating potentially contaminated poo poo, you'd rather spend your time running foreign website articles through Google Translate in hopes of finding some justification for letting your dogs eat and drink anything they want outside while you sit around doing nothing to control them.