Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

Yeah yeah anime titties, anyway LOOK AT HOW ADORABLE THE TONBERRY AND TONBERRY KING ARE!

I love how they used the standard Black Mage design as a mirage but :laffo: at Ramuh's middle stage being named "Thunder Guy".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Txn posted:

Yeah yeah anime titties, anyway LOOK AT HOW ADORABLE THE TONBERRY AND TONBERRY KING ARE!

I love how they used the standard Black Mage design as a mirage but :laffo: at Ramuh's middle stage being named "Thunder Guy".

I am pretty pumped for this game but I'm even more pumped for the stupid cute plush stuffed animals that will inevitably come out as well.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Thunder -> Thunder Guy I loving love it

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
When does world come out anyway?

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
Oh man, you guys never played Flame Over? That's one of my favorite games I played all year on my Vita. It's fantastic. It's confusing for the first couple of hours as you learn how it works but it ends up becoming one of those "One more go" games. It's so good. It's a great game for PS+.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.
After playing demon's gaze, the encounter rate in dungeon travelers 2 is loving killing me. holy moley!!

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Kingtheninja posted:

When does world come out anyway?
No idea. Both websites (japanese and north american) just says 2016.

Edit: Also, I just noticed the woman in chocobo clothing named Chocolatte, and just like Chocolina, she's voiced by Seiko Ueda.

OgretailFood fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Feb 25, 2016

The Gentlemieu
Jan 1, 2013
Soiled Meat

Luceid posted:

After playing demon's gaze, the encounter rate in dungeon travelers 2 is loving killing me. holy moley!!

Certain tiles have forced encounters; usually on the other side of a doorway. Running is an optimal strategy btw, the maids post battle recovery works even when you run.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Policenaut posted:

Yomawari getting a US release sounds good, and I suppose Mandatory Happiness is the push I need to finally watch Psycho-Pass.

Eh, there's a edited P-P S1 which helps est the main storyline while removing the less than great parts too. I'd skip S2 because I was somewhat disappointed in the story. Also, it looks like the VN takes place during S1 due to some of the characters.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

The Gentlemieu posted:

Certain tiles have forced encounters; usually on the other side of a doorway. Running is an optimal strategy btw, the maids post battle recovery works even when you run.

I should definitely run more often, my inventory is often sagging from all the nonsense i'm picking up from killing everything.

in more DT2 chatter, i'm running Paladin (Alisia) - Berserker (Grishna) - Priest (Melvy) - Sorc (Lucy) and Dancer (Conette) but I'm starting to wonder if I shouldn't drop one of the mages or fighters for a scout of some flavour because my ability to interrupt spells is limited to lucky crits or shield bashes. But scout damage output seemed pretty anemic compared to two-handed weapons and magic, so it's a hard call!

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
Are trophies in FFX HD hosed or what? I've unlocked one trophy so far (a story one, from when Yuna joins), but I should have unlocked two others (Find an Al Bhed Primer, learn the Jecht Shot) and have neither.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Hamsterlady posted:

Are trophies in FFX HD hosed or what? I've unlocked one trophy so far (a story one, from when Yuna joins), but I should have unlocked two others (Find an Al Bhed Primer, learn the Jecht Shot) and have neither.

On the Vita? I had the console and Vita versions to do some serious transfarring between them and, on the Vita, trophies would duplicate for non-story things like "hit for max damage" even though they were supposed to be shared and the game aware of whatever ones I had already achieved. It's the first I've heard of people missing trophies, though, but I wouldn't put it behind me that the game isn't very smart about trophies in general. Non-patched game would give you the trophy for defeating the strongest optional boss just for walking around the Calm Lands.

Oh, also,

$300 collector's edition for goon favorite videogame DOAX3 is now available for preorder.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Maybe if it was Nyotengu, but Marie Rose? I'll pass, thank you.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

There's also one of Hanoka or whatever's her name:

I think it would be hell on your wrist, though.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy
Will one version be more expensive considering the higher amount of plastic taken to wrap it?

Stuff about Gundam Breaker 3 in terms of customization and stuff.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Saoshyant posted:

There's also one of Hanoka or whatever's her name:

I think it would be hell on your wrist, though.

The Hitomi one looks fine. The Marie Rose one doesn't look like it provide any support. That's not a practical novelty at all!

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

That's not Hitomi! It's bad enough what they did to her face in this game, let's not get her confused with the character whose theme is that "she has big tits like a cow, let's put her in cow outfits".

RIP Hitomi

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Saoshyant posted:

That's not Hitomi! It's bad enough what they did to her face in this game, let's not get her confused with the character whose theme is that "she has big tits like a cow, let's put her in cow outfits".

RIP Hitomi

I meant to say Honoka. My bad. Also, I thought the cow outfits were for Tina? I haven't played DOA5.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.

Luceid posted:

I should definitely run more often, my inventory is often sagging from all the nonsense i'm picking up from killing everything.

in more DT2 chatter, i'm running Paladin (Alisia) - Berserker (Grishna) - Priest (Melvy) - Sorc (Lucy) and Dancer (Conette) but I'm starting to wonder if I shouldn't drop one of the mages or fighters for a scout of some flavour because my ability to interrupt spells is limited to lucky crits or shield bashes. But scout damage output seemed pretty anemic compared to two-handed weapons and magic, so it's a hard call!

Two magic users (Witch and Bishop) is a pretty good combo at 30 until the end of story mode so I'd drop the fighter. Preferably Alisia since the fighters tend to have better passives as the story goes on. Also taking 4 unique classes lets you see stats on bosses which is pretty useful for lining up resists and keeping track of health. I'd get an assassin for weak stab until 30 and then it's a choice between sniper and treasure hunter where sniper does a pretty crazy amount of damage but you lose weak stab (divine cannon has a higher than usual crit % but it's not 100%) and some great utility. Dagger users will usually do poor damage with the exception of pursuit stab on a target with a decent amount of buffs/debuffs but the therian seal you can get later in postgame helps to make up for it.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Saoshyant posted:

On the Vita? I had the console and Vita versions to do some serious transfarring between them and, on the Vita, trophies would duplicate for non-story things like "hit for max damage" even though they were supposed to be shared and the game aware of whatever ones I had already achieved. It's the first I've heard of people missing trophies, though, but I wouldn't put it behind me that the game isn't very smart about trophies in general. Non-patched game would give you the trophy for defeating the strongest optional boss just for walking around the Calm Lands.

Yeah, vita. I've been transferring the save back and forth between a vita and a PS TV using PS+ so maybe that's confusing it.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Gonna dig out my PS TV when I get home so now I've got some questions!

If I ended up getting bored of Trails in the Sky because of the slow overall pace is Trails of Cold Steel going to be any different? Or are they even related besides the name prefix

Wasn't there some "like monster hunter but with gods and souls and spine-tearing and stuff" on the Vita? might have had God in the name? I can't reliably google from work, I've just got some vague memories to go on

What happened to the old thread?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Combat is way faster, the story is still a slow burn although it's more obvious what it's building towards

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Cold Steel has much better pacing than Trails in the Sky IMO. Also the game you're thinking of is God Eater, of which two different games are coming this Summer overseas.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I can deal with that then, the slower story on its own might not be a showstopper like the combination of it and the slooowwww combat in TiTS was. Thanks awfully

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

Wasn't there some "like monster hunter but with gods and souls and spine-tearing and stuff" on the Vita? might have had God in the name? I can't reliably google from work, I've just got some vague memories to go on
If you mean literal spine-tearing you're thinking of Soul Sacrifice/Soul Sacrifice Delta.

God Eater is another game like Monster Hunter and my personal favorite, but while it does have God in it's name, it doesn't feature spine-tearing or souls.

And speaking of God Eater: http://gematsu.com/2016/02/god-eater-resurrection-story-prologue-animation

Yes, that same 11-minutes OVA from 7(?) years ago makes a return, and they still didn't bother to dub it.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Ah ha, Soul Sacrifice. I must have gotten it conflated in my head, thanks for the clarification.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
Lol at Sega, the west with Destiny showed how to make a killing with console MMOs and they still sit on the english translation of PSO 2.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

I can deal with that then, the slower story on its own might not be a showstopper like the combination of it and the slooowwww combat in TiTS was. Thanks awfully

To offer a contrary opinion, I thought Cold Steel did have faster paced gameplay because it let you skip the animations but also thought the story was slow paced and the game pretty much ended as it was starting to get interesting. TitS might have a slow paced story too but even FC has some payoff by the end. Cold Steel just kind of made me feel that nothing got resolved.

Cold Steel is still worth getting and a good game, but I wasn't totally in love with the story like others here were.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

I feel the same. I loved the setting and meandering nature of Trails in the Sky but after 10 hours I realized I never once died in combat or felt close to it and just kinda petered off. Every encounter was identical and kinda boring after a while.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

In Training posted:

I feel the same. I loved the setting and meandering nature of Trails in the Sky but after 10 hours I realized I never once died in combat or felt close to it and just kinda petered off. Every encounter was identical and kinda boring after a while.

Pretty much the same for me; the plot was starting to go somewhere but by that time, about eight hours in, I'd just plain stopped caring

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Ciaphas posted:

What happened to the old thread?
People got used to being able to shitpost nilly-willy and when someone made a stupid comment everyone else took that as an excuse to go into shitpost hyperdrive, upon which one of the mods went "yeah, not dealing with this, let's nuke it".

Ciaphas posted:

Soul Sacrifice Delta is an excellent game. However do keep in mind that you have a number of Monster Hunter games on the Vita, which roughly follow the same blueprint, but each spice it to taste.

Soul Sacrifice is the grimdark fairytale one, where you have fast-paced battles with a set of six spells (out of 100+) that have limited (rechargable) ammo and at higher levels require combinations of spells to be effective.

Freedom Wars is a futuristic anime, where you have a grappling hook and a number of melee weapons, as well as a number of guns. It is also quite fast-paced.

Toukiden is a "historical" thing with ye olden melee weapons and (i think) one token gun, which is a little slower and deliberate.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy

Mithaldu posted:

People got used to being able to shitpost nilly-willy and when someone made a stupid comment everyone else took that as an excuse to go into shitpost hyperdrive, upon which one of the mods went "yeah, not dealing with this, let's nuke it".

Good summary. I think some people think the blame rests solely on that one person.

Speaking of that old thread: Guess what's coming out on March 15th in North America?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

limaCAT posted:

Lol at Sega, the west with Destiny showed how to make a killing with console MMOs and they still sit on the english translation of PSO 2.

I'm pretty sure the first-person shooter by the makes of one of the most popular first person shooters of all time published by one of the biggest companies in the business with a giantic marketing and sales budget is significantly more likely to succeed than a fairly niche and increasingly aging RPG-style game. I mean I'd like to at least see PSO but the two aren't comparable.

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

At the very least SEGA should localize Phantasy Star Nova. Sure, I didn't like it that much because it lacked online mode but it was a fun game.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Mithaldu posted:

Soul Sacrifice Delta is an excellent game. However do keep in mind that you have a number of Monster Hunter games on the Vita, which roughly follow the same blueprint, but each spice it to taste.

Soul Sacrifice is the grimdark fairytale one, where you have fast-paced battles with a set of six spells (out of 100+) that have limited (rechargable) ammo and at higher levels require combinations of spells to be effective.

Freedom Wars is a futuristic anime, where you have a grappling hook and a number of melee weapons, as well as a number of guns. It is also quite fast-paced.

Toukiden is a "historical" thing with ye olden melee weapons and (i think) one token gun, which is a little slower and deliberate.

Cool, thanks for both. On the MH-like games, I saw some discussion on SSD like ten pages ago, and it made me wonder, what do each of these do to improve on good old MH4U on the 3DS? I'm basically a sucker for MH4U right now but I'd just as soon play on a larger screen with a proper controller if I can.

(I'd research this myself but I'm at work :()

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Ciaphas posted:

Cool, thanks for both. On the MH-like games, I saw some discussion on SSD like ten pages ago, and it made me wonder, what do each of these do to improve on good old MH4U on the 3DS? I'm basically a sucker for MH4U right now but I'd just as soon play on a larger screen with a proper controller if I can.

They don't necessary improve things, since they're all their own thing. It's just a different spin for different tastes. The only common trend is: Giant beasts, and crafting. Maybe what would help you is to simply look up gameplay videos on youtube. BlueMaxima has a channel that probably has lengthy videos for all of them.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I was gonna do that anyway probably but youtube is blocked here and I'm bored :v:

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

Mithaldu posted:

Schrodingers cat posted:

Good summary. I think some people think the blame rests solely on that one person.

Speaking of that old thread: Guess what's coming out on March 15th in North America?

ur poo poo

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

God Eater differences:

- Your main weapon is a combination of four parts: "Blade", "Gun", "Shield" and a "Control Unit".
- You can switch between Melee combat and Ranged combat by pressing the R button and, depending on the game, by other button combinations).
- Melee combat uses your blade (yes, even the hammers are considered blades in the japanese version) to attack and your shield to defend. Ranged mode let's you shoot the hell out of the Aragami or restore your allies HP by using healing bullets.
- There's no ammunition system. Each bullet has an Oracle Point (OP) cost depending on how powerful they are, you regain OP by attacking the Aragami with melee attacks.
- Speaking of bullets, you can create your own bullets. Some can get costly yet powerful, a few others can be cheap and useful, a lot end up being flat-out useless and the rest is just for show.

I loved the Spirograph when I was a kid, ok? :colbert:

- While in melee mode, you can make your blade "bite" an aragami (literally, your god arc suddenly spawns a jaw). Doing this gives you the Burst state. You deal more damage, take less damage, get special bullets based on that aragami attacks, and some skills can only be active during a Burst.
- There's no armor category. Clothing is entirely cosmetic and it's only purpose is to make cutscenes awkward thanks to your fashion sense. Your defenses are entirely dependent on the shield you have equipped.
- The battlefield is one big arena unlike Monster Hunter which each area is divided in zones. And just like Monster Hunter, the Aragami retreat to another part of the arena to recover HP, luckily they only do that three times in total (at 75% HP, at 50% and 25%) and they always go to a gathering point so you might as well get that item.
- Oh yeah, the "oh crap" moment. Some missions have you fight A LOT of aragami at the same time. Those can get awful if you're not careful. See: Two monkeys and a scorpion, all with large AoE attacks in a narrow path. F.U.N.

Edit: I just noticed how everyone was rolling in that last screenshot. I hate my timing when taking screenshots :(.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Ciaphas posted:

SSD is my MHlike of choice ( though I also love 4U). It has a genuinely interesting story told in a fairly novel way and very very fast-paced gameplay. There's basically no resource collection (aside from monster drops) and crafting is more a way to boost spells then to get special ones (AFAIK you can get every spell by doing missions/killing stuff). Weapon variety is pretty insane and there are a lot of weird poo poo like slowing time or making giant pillars. The art and monster designs are also top notch (though raiments for women tend to be on the waaaay skimpier side) and the tone is super bleak and grotesque in interesting ways. Even the arenas are interesting. My favourite is the one where you're on the back of a giant man-faced worm that travels the world.

Basically it's really good and way more interesting than the whole "dark fairy tale" shtick may lead you to believe.