Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Washout posted:

Yet tonnage is practically the only metric that determines who will win the match in random play.

I don't want to have to be the one to tell you this Washout, but, uh, I've semi-regularly had goon groups that basically did the Emp/Lord thing and wrecked the enemy team even despite large tonnage disparity. When people group up, actually push together, call targets, and shoot CT, we tend to win pretty handily. "Paradoxically", the more goons we have that are on board and playing well, the better we do, despite our tonnage being worse.

The "problem" (it's not actually a problem) is that not all goons are very good at the game. In fact, many of them have either not been playing very long or have come back after not having played for a long time. Also goons frequently play less than optimal builds, whereas you pretty much won't ever see an Emp team running poo poo like adders or gargoyles en masse. If you were to find a group of the better skilled goons online and get everybody together while leaving out the new people and those who haven't played for a while, you'd probably see your success rate go up rather independent of your team's total tonnage as the number of coordinated skilled players becomes a larger proportion of the whole.

Or you could just not worry about it and shoot robots with people who don't give you a conniption.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Olesh posted:

I don't want to have to be the one to tell you this Washout, but, uh, I've semi-regularly had goon groups that basically did the Emp/Lord thing and wrecked the enemy team even despite large tonnage disparity. When people group up, actually push together, call targets, and shoot CT, we tend to win pretty handily. "Paradoxically", the more goons we have that are on board and playing well, the better we do, despite our tonnage being worse.

The "problem" (it's not actually a problem) is that not all goons are very good at the game. In fact, many of them have either not been playing very long or have come back after not having played for a long time. Also goons frequently play less than optimal builds, whereas you pretty much won't ever see an Emp team running poo poo like adders or gargoyles en masse. If you were to find a group of the better skilled goons online and get everybody together while leaving out the new people and those who haven't played for a while, you'd probably see your success rate go up rather independent of your team's total tonnage as the number of coordinated skilled players becomes a larger proportion of the whole.

Or you could just not worry about it and shoot robots with people who don't give you a conniption.

all of this is very true. some of the easiest matches I've ever played were when 12 good goons all dropped in fast centurions and the like. when you all go the same speed, you can stay together and all hit targets at the same time. ezpz

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
I really wish that the private games didn't have the requirement of premium time. I'd like to do stupid poo poo like organize 12 v 12 goons and friends drops in all stock mechs. Ballistics only. LIghts only, etc. I think it'd be a goddamn blast.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
Scariest medium blob we did was fast centurions up front, ECM SRM griffins right behind them, and blackjacks bringing up the rear on cleanup duty.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Commoners posted:

Scariest medium blob we did was fast centurions up front, ECM SRM griffins right behind them, and blackjacks bringing up the rear on cleanup duty.

it fits right within the tonnage limit too. just fantastic

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Talmonis posted:

I really wish that the private games didn't have the requirement of premium time. I'd like to do stupid poo poo like organize 12 v 12 goons and friends drops in all stock mechs. Ballistics only. LIghts only, etc. I think it'd be a goddamn blast.

The biggest problems with this are interface related - there's no "force stock loadout" option and no option to use the mechlab when you're in a private lobby, and no way to drop from the lobby and rejoin it without an invitation, so you'd basically have to get 24 people all on board with the same mechs ahead of time, or break in between every round to drop the group, have everyone configure their mechs, and then manually reinvite 24 people. Oh, and that's assuming everyone has the variants in the first place, because if it's not a trial mech then everyone's gotta have the chassis to run it in a private game.

It's a tremendous pain in the rear end, which is why when we've done it we've stuck to whatever's available in trial builds.

For a 12v12 game, your _smallest_ concern is whether or not two people within the round have premium time, since you can be reasonably certain at least two in the group will.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
This is my [url=http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=291&l=b63ae9ee8d64456940eb4aa8e950e889d1c662ae=current Cheetah[/url] that's been handling fairly well. I've been doing 180+ damage, maybe a kill a round in this guy, but something feels off. I tried running with Streaks, but lock-on was too long and I had to strip a fair amount of armor. Would Med lasers or SPL's change anything drastically?

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

Olesh posted:

The biggest problems with this are interface related - there's no "force stock loadout" option and no option to use the mechlab when you're in a private lobby, and no way to drop from the lobby and rejoin it without an invitation, so you'd basically have to get 24 people all on board with the same mechs ahead of time, or break in between every round to drop the group, have everyone configure their mechs, and then manually reinvite 24 people. Oh, and that's assuming everyone has the variants in the first place, because if it's not a trial mech then everyone's gotta have the chassis to run it in a private game.

It's a tremendous pain in the rear end, which is why when we've done it we've stuck to whatever's available in trial builds.

For a 12v12 game, your _smallest_ concern is whether or not two people within the round have premium time, since you can be reasonably certain at least two in the group will.

I'm not worried about forcing the stock loadout. I doubt everyone who was looking to have fun is going to cheat, and it's not a big deal if they did anyway.

We have mumble for organization.

I dunno man, I think it would be fun. Also, trial builds sounds fun too.

Orv
May 4, 2011

BirdOfPlay posted:

This is my [url=http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=291&l=b63ae9ee8d64456940eb4aa8e950e889d1c662ae=current Cheetah[/url] that's been handling fairly well. I've been doing 180+ damage, maybe a kill a round in this guy, but something feels off. I tried running with Streaks, but lock-on was too long and I had to strip a fair amount of armor. Would Med lasers or SPL's change anything drastically?

I am Bad™ and clear 300 damage with a SPL Cheetah with almost no effort in every game.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

BirdOfPlay posted:

one thing that goes unmentioned about the Cheetah -- if you put missiles on the arms, the arms get hella big. They're already squishy so making them a bigger target is Bad News.

Try this:

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=291&l=0673c22705b1651b68e33300644d53eb895cf864

you can strip off a SPL and add a heatsink as well. Either works

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Spls all the way. Clan streaks are too slow for the sort of in and out play you need as a cheetah IMO. Remember you are a priority target so you have quite a bit less viable time on target than say a cicada.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

sebmojo posted:

Spls all the way. Clan streaks are too slow for the sort of in and out play you need as a cheetah IMO. Remember you are a priority target so you have quite a bit less viable time on target than say a cicada.

I absolutely loving hate Cicadas and Shadowcats. They're pesky in the extreme, especially with PPC's.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Talmonis posted:

I absolutely loving hate Cicadas and Shadowcats. They're pesky in the extreme, especially with PPC's.

Shadow Cat is p. interesting now that the MASC changes mean it can tool around at 128kph for extended periods of time. I tried out a streak-y light-hunter build last night and it's like not bad man.

very different from the Streakcrow in that you can't rely on your huge alpha (3 SSRM6 vs. 5) but you're faster, have JJs/MASC, and have ECM, so you can follow lights for longer

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Pattonesque posted:

one thing that goes unmentioned about the Cheetah -- if you put missiles on the arms, the arms get hella big. They're already squishy so making them a bigger target is Bad News.

Try this:

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=291&l=0673c22705b1651b68e33300644d53eb895cf864

you can strip off a SPL and add a heatsink as well. Either works

This is the gold standard cheetah build, but you may find it easier to manage before you elite the chassis by doing what Pattonesque suggested and swapping 1 SPL for an extra heatsink. It's really less about how much your cooling rate goes up (from 2.1 hps to 2.25 is only about a 7% increase, after all) and more about reducing your heat generation by 1/6th.

6 clan SPLs is the magic number, though, because it means two alphas to the rear CT (72 pinpoint damage) will kill a direwolf or anything smaller, and an atlas in 3. You will very rarely come across anyone with more than 10 armor on their back, so being able to kill the vast majority of mechs in the game in two shots from behind (instead of 3) is pretty important. It also means that if you're on voice comms with another identical cheetah, you can run around and instantly murder people from behind before they have a chance to react, which is always hilarious.

Marijuana Nihilist
Aug 27, 2015

by Smythe
The shadowcat is a pretty fun mech and im glad you goons talked me into buying one

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
I really want to buy an Executioner, what's the deal with them? They any good? It's this or a Gargoyle, I'm a man who likes choosing the not so favorable choices.

This is of course after I buy my last SCR.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

Stringbean posted:

I really want to buy an Executioner, what's the deal with them? They any good? It's this or a Gargoyle, I'm a man who likes choosing the not so favorable choices.

It's a brawler with MASC, with not-so-great hardpoints.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Olesh posted:

If I group with those same people and just take a 3 or 4 man with maxxed tonnage we win nearly every game unless we hit emp/lord.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Stringbean posted:

From what I've seen, the Executioner really rewards going all-out with a single gimmick but punishes you very hard for trying to generalize.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Stringbean posted:

They both shoot from the ankles and if even a small tiny hill is in your way it will block your arms. Executioner is better tho.

Washout fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Feb 24, 2016

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

A.o.D. posted:

Getting a targeting computer to do things it actually is supposed to be able to do...

hahaha. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH.

What does the targeting computer actually do? I didn't even know it was implemented in the game (only just got my first clan mech).

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

Bubbacub posted:

What does the targeting computer actually do? I didn't even know it was implemented in the game.

Buncha soft buffs to weapons. Gets you more zoom, better laser range, faster ballistic velocity, etc etc. The level 1 TC is usually a good investment of one ton on your heavy and assault class laser mechs. For ballistic mechs its not as worthwhile.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
Would reticle shake not reduce the effectiveness of Helios?

And you CAN control it , by having a TC.

I know we're pissing in the wind but the idea is giving me a boner.

I played MW4 with a force feedback sidewinder pro and I loved that poo poo.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Not enough to matter. When you know where the enemy is and can core them out before reticle shake even happens, it's kind of irrelevant.

Like I know we primarily bitch about the aimbotting part of it in here, but it's not even the worst part about dealing with Helios folks.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
Love my HBK-4G. Hunchback is really underrated. Some good brawling to be had.

e: Each of those kills were from my AC20, and dammit that's some good poo poo.

Stringbean fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Feb 25, 2016

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Oh Snapple! posted:

Not enough to matter. When you know where the enemy is and can core them out before reticle shake even happens, it's kind of irrelevant.

Like I know we primarily bitch about the aimbotting part of it in here, but it's not even the worst part about dealing with Helios folks.

Honestly shooting robots is so trivially easy that the aimbot is the least harmful part of Helios.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Astroniomix posted:

Honestly shooting robots is so trivially easy that the aimbot is the least harmful part of Helios.

Yeah if they have perma-wallhack they don't need auto-aim

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
I knew I was in for a special time when this voice came on at the beginning of the match. It was a LRM boat asking for an ECM to stay back and cover him.

He was a King Crab bragging about his 4 LRM-15s and how he was going to bring the rain.

Now they aren't content with being dead weight anymore. They want otherwise useful builds to become dead weight to cover them.

We lost the match.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

The Saddest Robot posted:

I knew I was in for a special time when this voice came on at the beginning of the match. It was a LRM boat asking for an ECM to stay back and cover him.

He was a King Crab bragging about his 4 LRM-15s and how he was going to bring the rain.

Now they aren't content with being dead weight anymore. They want otherwise useful builds to become dead weight to cover them.

We lost the match.

The last line is superfluous.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I installed this game a couple days ago. Fun so far. I spent all my spacebucks to outfit a stalker with 5 LRM20s and now I am OP. Errr.. actually I got a Thunderbolt with LPLs. Now that I'm not using trial mechs, is it best to save my my Cbills for two more Thunderbolts so I can unlock all the skills or should I be going for some more types of mechs?

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Get different mechs, next good purchase would be a Stormcrow, Blackjack-1X, or Crab-27SL for fun with mediums. Alternatly Timberwolf or Hellbringer for heavies. If you want some kind of SRM build instead Stalker-5M is a good choice, it can also do a laser build, Timber is also versatile. If you decide to go for a light the Cheetah is still the best and cheapest.

The reason I don't mention models on the clan mechs is that they are pretty much all the same, buy the one with the most omnipods to match the build you want to make. The blackjack and crab might actually be more expensive because you have to purchase an XL engine for them, where the clan mechs come with the engine you need to start with, and one of the stormcrows is good right out of the box with little modification IIRC.

If you can stomach it grinding for two more Thunderbolts is a good idea, but you probably want a little more variety before doing that. If I were you I'd get a medium first and then decide if you want to try more weight classes or finish out the ones you have. Lights and assaults are the ones that are most important to get elited, mediums and heavies can still perform just as well without.

Washout fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Feb 25, 2016

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

taqueso posted:

I installed this game a couple days ago. Fun so far. I spent all my spacebucks to outfit a stalker with 5 LRM20s and now I am OP. Errr.. actually I got a Thunderbolt with LPLs. Now that I'm not using trial mechs, is it best to save my my Cbills for two more Thunderbolts so I can unlock all the skills or should I be going for some more types of mechs?

I've been buying random mechs here and there since I started. Just don't sell them until you've finished getting all the basic skills on them. So if you want to spice it up a bit, go buy another mech. Otherwise, if you really enjoy playing your T-bolt, buy two more and Master the one you like the most.

e: Also seconding getting a Stormcrow or Timber if you've got the bills. That poo poo rakes in c-bills like crazy.

Stringbean fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Feb 25, 2016

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

taqueso posted:

Now that I'm not using trial mechs, is it best to save my my Cbills for two more Thunderbolts so I can unlock all the skills or should I be going for some more types of mechs?

The thing you should be doing is finding builds and mechs you like playing first and foremost. Don't force yourself to play stale mechs just to elite them out, or to force a branch out into classes you don't like either.

You can make decent good builds doing pretty much whatever.

Whats your preferred playstyle? What do you want to try next, and of the trials, what stood out to you?

Can someone remind me how eliting/mastering things first-time in a weight class works out? I forget, but its relevant here for planning ahead.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Mastering mechs hardly matters, newbies are going to spend that 3 million on another mech not a second weapon module or even a first. It's too confusing for new players to bother worrying about really. I only recently finished mastering all my stormcrows and I've been playing them since they were released.

You have to basic 3 of a particular model before you can elite any of that model. You have to elite 3 of a weight class before you can master any of that weight class, which can include the 3 that you may have elited of one model.

Washout fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Feb 25, 2016

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Ok, so I can ignore elite for now. I got all the basics on the Tbolt pretty quickly, but I wasted a decent amount of gexp on those before I figured out I should be using it for pilot skills. I discovered the hard way that changing around mech upgrades (endosteel/ferrofiber/etc) costs each time you change it. Is that right?

How do I find out how many mechbays I have?

I was thinking I'd try a medium or light next. I can go 74kph in the Thunderbolt right now, but I've spectated some people that go 130-150ish and that looks fun. But it would also be fun to try out gauss or whatever is for long range sniping.

e: auto-cannons look fun too

taqueso fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Feb 25, 2016

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Unless you have 3 autocannons they are kind of gutless, so they mostly only work on Assaults, which are generally not recommended if you are new. Since they nerfed all the quirks there are not any dominant autocannon heavies any more really, people still use the Jagermech but ehhh.

Of the mechs I listed earlier the Blackjack-1X is the fastest. The Hellbringer can mount a really solid Gauss + 4xCERML build, and the Timberwolf can do the same, timberwolves can mount 2xAC10 but they have to give up a lot to do so.

edit: You only ever want endo on anything except in a very few edge cases and lights they get both. But for the most part having both takes away too many crit slots and then you can't fit enough weapons.

Washout fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Feb 25, 2016

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
That whole "buy three of the same mech" poo poo is the single weightiest reason I'm never giving these assholes any money. I mean, there are dozens of other reasons, but none of them is as much of a deliberate dick-slap to the customer's face as that particular mechanic.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

I was a little surprised when I found out it is $5 per color.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

taqueso posted:

I was a little surprised when I found out it is $5 per color.

Yea, free colors in events is actually one of the few ways to get them. Because come on, no one actually buys them. There are basic colors but they are drab and kind of expensive.

Washout fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Feb 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Books are the real treasures of the world!
Fun Shoe
Just you wait. Some day they will release Barbie Pink. When that day arrives I will happily pay my :10bux: to be the most fabulous robot in the galaxy.

• Locked thread