Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Alikchi posted:

Sure, but then we'd be sentencing the country to President McDowell.

Couldn't be worse than president Grant--though Grant does have a cooler name and persona.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
Wait I have a WITPAE question. What does it mean when a ship has a pound sign next to its name mean? Like "Achilles#."

Fake edit

So at work when I call out to a certain providers conference call line, the computer voice tells me to "enter the conference room number followed by the pound or hashtag sign."

When did the pound sign become "or a hashtag sign" in the context of phone conferencing?

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

ZombieLenin posted:

Wait I have a WITPAE question. What does it mean when a ship has a pound sign next to its name mean? Like "Achilles#."

Fake edit

So at work when I call out to a certain providers conference call line, the computer voice tells me to "enter the conference room number followed by the pound or hashtag sign."

When did the pound sign become "or a hashtag sign" in the context of phone conferencing?

I want to say it means the ship requires major repair for a component. The only time I've seen it was when my Sodak lost half of its main guns. Someone else please confirm though.

EDIT: So its early December in my Guadalcanal campaign and I'm doing really well. I'm ready to push the Japanese off the island, sunk both of their fleet carriers and I've just unloaded reinforcements for the Kokoda trail at PM. What should I do from here? I'm thinking of doing a BB bombardment on Rabaul with 3 of my CVs (I lost the Wasp) to draw out any bombers. I'm also considering a similar raid on Truk. Are these ideas really stupid and if so, what should be my plan of action?

Dreamsicle fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Feb 24, 2016

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Dreamsicle posted:

I want to say it means the ship requires major repair for a component. The only time I've seen it was when my Sodak lost half of its main guns. Someone else please confirm though.

EDIT: So its early December in my Guadalcanal campaign and I'm doing really well. I'm ready to push the Japanese off the island, sunk both of their fleet carriers and I've just unloaded reinforcements for the Kokoda trail at PM. What should I do from here? I'm thinking of doing a BB bombardment on Rabaul with 3 of my CVs (I lost the Wasp) to draw out any bombers. I'm also considering a similar raid on Truk. Are these ideas really stupid and if so, what should be my plan of action?

The amount of midget subs that will swarm you alone make a direct raid on Rabaul or Truk too risky, let alone the thousands of mines they have. I'm not good at WITPAE but I know that Rabaul and Truk are off-limits unless you really bring some heavy hitters.

I have a question for you though. How did you successfully sink Japanese carriers. I end up sitting my carriers off of Tulagi to stop reinforcements to Guadalcanal, then the Japanese Carriers come from nowhere and get a first strike in. I lost all 3 carriers on my first play through.

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

Phi230 posted:

The amount of midget subs that will swarm you alone make a direct raid on Rabaul or Truk too risky, let alone the thousands of mines they have. I'm not good at WITPAE but I know that Rabaul and Truk are off-limits unless you really bring some heavy hitters.

I have a question for you though. How did you successfully sink Japanese carriers. I end up sitting my carriers off of Tulagi to stop reinforcements to Guadalcanal, then the Japanese Carriers come from nowhere and get a first strike in. I lost all 3 carriers on my first play through.

I just got really lucky when I placed my sub around the area around the "north" (or above) of Auki base. (hex 115,136) not specifically in that hex, but the hexes above and to the right. The sub managed to have working torpedoes and nailed the Shokaku with 2 hits. They were still able to sink the Wasp, but they were only able to send 2 raids, both hitting the Wasp TF My 3 carrier wings were able to get through the CAP and hurt them. Since my other 2 carrier TF's were untouched I followed them and they were too heavily damaged to respond and they got sunk. Usually though they would get sunk without. Considering the AI tends to be scripted, I'm tempted to "cheat" and move a surface combat TF in the area.

Did you merge all 3 carriers in one TF? I wouldn't recommend it due to the stacking limits for the allies in 1942 and that they can now target all 3 at the same wave. I also had my carriers to the left of Guadalcanal at around hex 112,138. Not sure if that helps though.

In the usual scenario I think sinking both of their Fleet Carriers is doable, but losing 1-2 carriers would be likely in the event. I got really lucky when they managed to hit the same task force multiple times.

EDIT: How can I send supplies to my soldiers fighting on the other side of Guadalcanal? Their supply situation worries me as the fighting will go on. Also when I set my torpedo bombers to use bombs, do they also dive bomb at 10K-15K like a normal dive bomber? If not I'm going to have to lower their altitude.

Dreamsicle fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Feb 25, 2016

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Dreamsicle posted:

I just got really lucky when I placed my sub around the area around the "north" (or above) of Auki base. (hex 115,136) not specifically in that hex, but the hexes above and to the right. The sub managed to have working torpedoes and nailed the Shokaku with 2 hits. They were still able to sink the Wasp, but they were only able to send 2 raids, both hitting the Wasp TF My 3 carrier wings were able to get through the CAP and hurt them. Since my other 2 carrier TF's were untouched I followed them and they were too heavily damaged to respond and they got sunk. Usually though they would get sunk without. Considering the AI tends to be scripted, I'm tempted to "cheat" and move a surface combat TF in the area.

Did you merge all 3 carriers in one TF? I wouldn't recommend it due to the stacking limits for the allies in 1942 and that they can now target all 3 at the same wave. I also had my carriers to the left of Guadalcanal at around hex 112,138. Not sure if that helps though.

In the usual scenario I think sinking both of their Fleet Carriers is doable, but losing 1-2 carriers would be likely in the event. I got really lucky when they managed to hit the same task force multiple times.

EDIT: How can I send supplies to my soldiers fighting on the other side of Guadalcanal? Their supply situation worries me as the fighting will go on. Also when I set my torpedo bombers to use bombs, do they also dive bomb at 10K-15K like a normal dive bomber? If not I'm going to have to lower their altitude.

Don't supplies get sent to adjacent hexes? So if you have Tunga or Lunga or whatever, as long as you have good supply there it will get sent to the troops in Tassafaronga. If you click on a hex and press 5 it'll show supply lines I think.

Also you could try to unload supplies direct into Tassafaronga if you're desperate but that seems like a failure from the start but do it anyway because it sounds awesome.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
I started a LP of the current 8 Goon thunder-dome

The first turn ended up essentially being a walkthrough of all my turn 1 logistics and decision making, so it could be helpful for anyone who just picked up ATG and is a bit lost. Don't read it if you're actually in the game, though! :v:

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Generation Internet posted:

The first turn ended up essentially being a walkthrough of all my turn 1 logistics and decision making, so it could be helpful for anyone who just picked up ATG and is a bit lost. Don't read it if you're actually in the game, though! :v:

Oh good we've got an LP now.

I can't wait to go back in a few months to see how you chronicled impending tailspin that Das Reich is headed towards if I keep playing without really knowing what I'm doing.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Phi230 posted:

I can't wait to go back in a few months to see how you chronicled impending tailspin that Das Reich is headed towards if I keep playing without really knowing what I'm doing.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

It'll be just like Hitler except even worse military decisions.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.

Phi230 posted:

I hope it catalogs your insult of the glorious Russian race.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Chump Farts posted:

I hope it catalogs your insult of the glorious Russian race.

I'm glad you got that! It took me a very minimal amount of effort you commie.

For reals though send it to Gen. Internet so he can post it. Such a well written and witty insult should make the papers.

Phi230 fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Feb 25, 2016

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Oh my, turn 2 and already the alliance offers are flying thick and furious.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Saros posted:

Oh my, turn 2 and already the alliance offers are flying thick and furious.

The jist of my assessment of the worldwide political situation in my thread is that we're going to see a WWI scenario where the second any single goon declares war it's going to spark a domino effect of hidden agreements and treaties that somehow brings the whole world into it.

It'll be glorious :getin:

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

Thanks for putting this together for recent purchasers.

FYI, your screenshot for 2nd Army breaks tables on 1920x1080 resolution.

Edit: I was looking in the wrong direction, it's 3rd Army.

Quixzlizx fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Feb 25, 2016

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

The jist of my assessment of the worldwide political situation in my thread is that we're going to see a WWI scenario where the second any single goon declares war it's going to spark a domino effect of hidden agreements and treaties that somehow brings the whole world into it.

It'll be glorious :getin:

We are the Balkans. We are a powder keg. A powder Keg in a bonfire.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
WW1 turn-based games that I'm aware of:

Commander: The Great War
Strategic Command: WW1
Making History: The Great War
To End All Wars
France '14 (John Tiller Games)
East Prussia '14 (John Tiller Games)
Guns of August

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Feb 25, 2016

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

FebrezeNinja posted:

In C:tGW, is it possible to do a Mesopotamian push? I tried once and the supply system meant my full infantry units failed to kill the smallest of defenses.

I've never once managed a successful amphibious assault on the Ottoman Empire in that game. Fortunately you don't really need to.

If you really want to try again, remember that your units get supply if they're on the cost and inside the control range of a surface ship (subs don't count). This is the game modeling supplying units by water. What might work better than an assault in Mesopotamia is to get two waves of of British and French infantry ready and slam them towards Constantinople once the Ottomans are well and truly committed elsewhere and just accept that you're going to lose most of them trying to take the capitol city you need to get good supply. Really though, there are better places to use that many troops.

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

Phi230 posted:

Don't supplies get sent to adjacent hexes? So if you have Tunga or Lunga or whatever, as long as you have good supply there it will get sent to the troops in Tassafaronga. If you click on a hex and press 5 it'll show supply lines I think.

Also you could try to unload supplies direct into Tassafaronga if you're desperate but that seems like a failure from the start but do it anyway because it sounds awesome.

So I have a number saying 78 in the Tassafaronga hex when I did that. I also tried to land supplies in the hex and it got shot at by the coastal guns. They're still alive so I'm moving them to Lunga.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Dreamsicle posted:

So I have a number saying 78 in the Tassafaronga hex when I did that. I also tried to land supplies in the hex and it got shot at by the coastal guns. They're still alive so I'm moving them to Lunga.

Well your guys probably got SOME supply from the attempted supply rush through gunfire.

I have no idea what the 78 means?

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

WW1 turn-based games that I'm aware of:

France '14 (John Tiller Games)
East Prussia '14 (John Tiller Games)

I have both of these and want a pbem game!

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
I have all but East Prussia and Guns of August.

I'll need a few weeks to get up to speed on France '14. I haven't had much time to poke around with it yet.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.

Phi230 posted:

We are the Balkans. We are a powder keg. A powder Keg in a bonfire.

Well a public declaration in turn 1 is enough to already get people a-backstabbin'

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

I have all but East Prussia and Guns of August.

I'll need a few weeks to get up to speed on France '14. I haven't had much time to poke around with it yet.

Send me a PM when you're ready, I'll get up to speed on it as well. I'll watch the thread too.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

Phi230 posted:

Well your guys probably got SOME supply from the attempted supply rush through gunfire.

I have no idea what the 78 means?

78 means 78 percent of the supplies make it to that hex. There is a cost to moving supplies, based on distance and terrain type, and that view shows you how quickly your ability to get supplies to a certain hex drops off.

78 is good, any units there should be in supply. However, the base they are coming from need to have enough, I don't think the supply run happens every day, etc., so there could be other possibilities if they aren't getting what you need.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

ZombieLenin posted:

Couldn't be worse than president Grant--though Grant does have a cooler name and persona.

Grant was a better president than he usually gets credit for being. Ex-confederates have been smearing him as part of the century-long campaign to pretend that the war wasn't about slavery (it was totally about slavery).

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

ZekeNY posted:

Grant was a better president than he usually gets credit for being. Ex-confederates have been smearing him as part of the century-long campaign to pretend that the war wasn't about slavery (it was totally about slavery).

As a denizen of the South, Confederate apologia I can easily say is one of the biggest things I am shameful of of this country. Until the Charleston shooting we didn't even recognize it, and the discussion disappeared quickly.

Time to destroy the Rebels in Ultimate General. My Union ferver has grown strong.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Is Ultimate General moddable at all? Could you give GG Meade some AK-47s so he can really GG the Rebels?

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Phi230 posted:

As a denizen of the South, Confederate apologia I can easily say is one of the biggest things I am shameful of of this country. Until the Charleston shooting we didn't even recognize it, and the discussion disappeared quickly.

Time to destroy the Rebels in Ultimate General. My Union ferver has grown strong.

I was raised in the south myself, I know just how you feel.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

gradenko_2000 posted:

Is Ultimate General moddable at all? Could you give GG Meade some AK-47s so he can really GG the Rebels?

See I was hoping to mod in 155mm Howitzers instead of cannons for the union.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Happy Hedonist posted:

Send me a PM when you're ready, I'll get up to speed on it as well. I'll watch the thread too.

Sounds good. Let's shoot for an April 1 kickoff.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Talking to a friend about the recent Fire Emblem release made me have a loving great idea: Take that one game that has you managing a war and personal relations with your party / generals AND ADD ROMANCE OPTIONS! HUH? HUUUUH? :downs:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Talking to a friend about the recent Fire Emblem release made me have a loving great idea: Take that one game that has you managing a war and personal relations with your party / generals AND ADD ROMANCE OPTIONS! HUH? HUUUUH? :downs:

I'd be totes down with Decisive Campaigns: Barbaromance

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'd be totes down with Decisive Campaigns: Barbaromance

:golfclap:

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Mass Effect style romance options, set against the background of the 2nd sino-japanese war!

Its the game literally noone asked for, and no one wants!

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Phi230 posted:

Mass Effect style romance options, set against the background of the 2nd sino-japanese war!

Its the game literally noone asked for, and no one wants!

A game that manages to offend everyone involved!

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

ArchangeI posted:

A game that manages to offend everyone involved!

And even a lot of people who weren't!

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Maybe it's just out of patriotism, but is there any way to save the Canadian Battalions in Hong Kong? :canada:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auJB0VJRMsY

Another related question - Is there a good use for the Prince Class Cruisers? (David, Robert, Henry)

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Frosted Flake posted:

Maybe it's just out of patriotism, but is there any way to save the Canadian Battalions in Hong Kong? :canada:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auJB0VJRMsY

I've managed to evacuate them to the Philippines and take a small cadre from there to Java via sub to rebuild. But that is really saving in name only.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

ZekeNY posted:

Reconstruction was managed, including by Grant, uhh... Let's just say "less than well."

I consider this half the reason half the South remembers the war as being "not about slavery," and instead a "righteous war against the tyrannical Yankee invaders..."

Well that and prosecution of the first modern Total War with the South on the receiving end. Which incidentally is really a credit to the Marshal plan when you consider that neither Germany nor Japan harbor a seething resentment about World War 2.