Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

BULBASAUR posted:

I must be insane because I scrape my palette off once I'm done with a project :v:

I get about 2hrs every other night to paint, scraping palettes would cut in to that :) As would cleaning brushes, even my poor 6 year old brush just gets dunked in the paint water before being put away after use.

You guys and your fancy palettes and airbrushes. 6 Years of abuse for my poor cheapo nylon starter set brush that does 90% of my work. Think it might be time for a new one, especially as my toddler uses it for colouring in minions too.

richyp fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Feb 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Wet palette or bust.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I used a wet palette when I was starting out, but as I gained experience and started to batch paint I migrated over to a dry plastic one. For individual models or wet blending I would def still use it.

Squiggly Beast
Apr 29, 2009

orksorksOrksORKS!
:orks: :orks101:
Gravy Boat 2k
Managed to repair my poor ORC trooper:

Think I'll varnish before using masking fluid in future. That was a hassle I could've done without.

E: thought it would be nice to see them all grouped up (and I wanted to check that I hadn't messed up the PanO blue, since half of these guys were painted over 6 months ago).

EE: You know, I never noticed how hosed up the scale is in Infinity until now. Joan has a bit of a boost because I made her base out of thicker plasticard, but still...

Squiggly Beast fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Feb 25, 2016

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

OneTrueBru posted:

Think I'll varnish before using masking fluid in future. That was a hassle I could've done without.

E: thought it would be nice to see them all grouped up (and I wanted to check that I hadn't messed up the PanO blue, since half of these guys were painted over 6 months ago).

EE: You know, I never noticed how hosed up the scale is in Infinity until now. Joan has a bit of a boost because I made her base out of thicker plasticard, but still...

These are really great (I play pano so appreciate good pano) but I'm even more impressed with the photography. Do you mind telling me what camera/settings/lighting you use to take pics?

Squiggly Beast
Apr 29, 2009

orksorksOrksORKS!
Gravy Boat 2k

JoshTheStampede posted:

These are really great (I play pano so appreciate good pano) but I'm even more impressed with the photography. Do you mind telling me what camera/settings/lighting you use to take pics?

It's an old Canon powershot S110 on auto - it seems to know what it's doing honestly. Metadata on the photo says ISO 100, f-stop f/4 and exposure time of 1/80, if that's in any way helpful. The camera itself was sitting maybe a foot or so from the minis.

The lighting is just from my magnifier lamp - it's hovering just out of frame.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

OneTrueBru posted:

Yeah, but Joan is also an AI Reconstruction in a Bodhisattva class android chassis. Being a full head taller is fine given her super-humanity. She's also wearing like 6" tactical heels.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Ilor posted:

Yeah, but Joan is also an AI Reconstruction in a Bodhisattva class android chassis. Being a full head taller is fine given her super-humanity. She's also wearing like 6" tactical heels.
Next level: Keisotsu vs Yan Huo :unsmigghh:.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Pierzak posted:

Next level: Keisotsu vs Yan Huo :unsmigghh:.
Or even new Janissary vs old Janissary. That's some scale creep, right there.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

BULBASAUR posted:

I used a wet palette when I was starting out, but as I gained experience and started to batch paint I migrated over to a dry plastic one. For individual models or wet blending I would def still use it.

I use it for batch painting, but mainly because :australia: it's so hot here 6 months of the year paint dries on the palette before you can get through 1/3rd of it

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
I bought a pot of citadel Maccragge Blue and I'm really confused. This came out basically purple to my eyes. I'm trying to build to an Ultramarine Space Marine color, and this just seems really dark on top of a black primer. I feel like I should have started with their Altdorf Blue.

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

OneTrueBru posted:

Incredible. I know how daunting Infinity minis can be, you beyond nailed these.

dr_ether
May 31, 2013

Back to working on the Kingdom Death King's Man.

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007
Thinking about a checker pattern on that cloak makes me vomit.

Super sexy.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Dayum.

Time to throw out my brushes

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

OneTrueBru posted:

These are great, please tell me that the blues were airbrushed on otherwise that's some godlike blending by hand. Also thanks for convincing me that I should stick to Nomads :)

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

SERPUS posted:

I bought a pot of citadel Maccragge Blue and I'm really confused. This came out basically purple to my eyes. I'm trying to build to an Ultramarine Space Marine color, and this just seems really dark on top of a black primer. I feel like I should have started with their Altdorf Blue.

That's ok, you're using it as a base coat, so if nothing else it's just creating a good starting point, and using the base pigment density to cover the black.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

richyp posted:

4 colours

Red
Orange
Flesh
Sand

Left side is with 3:1 Glaze Medium + Paints above (Except Red which is just paint), Right Side = Just the paints. Both paints thinned as normal with water.

The brush strokes on the left required several passes for the colour to appear over the red meaning you can do strokes that overlap to build up thickness/tint, the right hand side is just one stroke. You can achieve the same effect with water rather than medium but as I said above the more water you add the harder it can be to control especially when you add in gravity.

You could hit the whole area with a red glaze to mute the colours too if you went too far with the lighter colour.

When you say 'several passes' do you mean several coats, or several wet brushstrokes? some kind of additive painting? :O It does look great though. I'm thinking of getting Vallejo glaze medium + spray dullcote - thoughts?

EDIT: Also I see lots of these Citadel base-coat paints with really high pigmentation (like, red going over black in one coat!?) - is it worth looking into? I've got mainly Vallejo, Army Painter and Coat D'Arms now - the latter has lovely tones but awful coverage.

Southern Heel fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Feb 25, 2016

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Southern Heel posted:

When you say 'several passes' do you mean several coats, or several wet brushstrokes? some kind of additive painting? :O It does look great though. I'm thinking of getting Vallejo glaze medium + spray dullcote - thoughts?

Several passes as in the brush had to be dragged up and down several times for the colour to stick where as the non medium version is pretty much just one swipe of the brush. Vallejo glaze medium is what I used in the picture. In the past I've had success with a big tub of Windsor & Newton Matt Medium (grabbed it from a nearby Hobby Craft if there's one near where you live) for almost the same cost as the small dropper of glaze medium. I'm doing a field trip later there to get a new brush so I'll take a look on what else they have.

I expect something like this will work just fine too: (http://www.hobbycraft.co.uk/decoart-media-matte-medium/604943-1000) never heard of the brand but it's just acrylic and at 3.50 for 120ml too :)

I never use varnish as I just paint poo poo, post them here then stick them in a box for eternity so I can't really suggest anything other than pray for perfect spraying conditions.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

SERPUS posted:

I had the same thing happen with VGC Ultramarine Blue while painting my Wrath of King Hadross. On my green-based models, the color looked blue. On my turquoised-based models though, the "blue" looked purple. I think it has something to do with both your base color and the way it interacts with the surrounding colors. Try a blue wash and see if that modifies the tone any.

Squiggly Beast
Apr 29, 2009

orksorksOrksORKS!
Gravy Boat 2k

richyp posted:

These are great, please tell me that the blues were airbrushed on otherwise that's some godlike blending by hand. Also thanks for convincing me that I should stick to Nomads :)

Absolutely airbrushed, hence the masking fluid usage (and ORC leg disaster! :ohdear:). I can't blend for poo poo. I've tried it a few times, but it usually ends in disaster if it's not on a teensy area.

dr_ether posted:

Back to working on the Kingdom Death King's Man.

This is rad as hell. I don't envy you painting those checkers - getting the alignment right on flowing cloth must have been great fun.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

OneTrueBru posted:

Absolutely airbrushed, hence the masking fluid usage (and ORC leg disaster! :ohdear:). I can't blend for poo poo. I've tried it a few times, but it usually ends in disaster if it's not on a teensy area.

They're so nicely done I had to double check they weren't the official Angel Giraldez pictures. If it wasn't for the little extras you did like the PanO logo and the grey knee pads it'd be pretty hard to spot the difference.

Today was a good day, I went to the art store to get a new brush (apparently they don't sell W&N Series 7's since I last went many years ago) and some Flow Improver (sounds like medication for a urine infection). When I got back there was a parcel of models so that I can beef up my Nomads and Combined Army.

Now to mess about with mediums and flow enhancers and see what happens.

EDIT: Made a nice custom water solution of about 5:1 tablespoons of water to flow enhancer with 3 drops of glaze medium and used that to thin some paint on my trusty test mini. Makes the paint so smooth, then I added another 3 drops of glaze to some brown paint + above mix to create a wash that blends really well.

Also having a brush that doesn't look like roadkill is nice for a change, even if the hair is probably from roadkill.

richyp fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Feb 25, 2016

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

My brain thinks this is a watercolor.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

berzerkmonkey posted:

My brain thinks this is a watercolor.

All my stuff looks like that close-up I just paint weirdly and it looks sloppy I guess. It usually looks ok at a distance though.

e.g.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

richyp posted:

All my stuff looks like that close-up I just paint weirdly and it looks sloppy I guess. It usually looks ok at a distance though.
I'm not saying it was sloppy, it's just that my brain keeps interpreting that photo in a weird way.

And, not for nothing, a lot of really nicely painted miniatures break down when you zoom in on them at 1000%. Doesn't mean they're bad or poorly painted, it just means that they are being viewed in a way that they shouldn't be.

You, of all people, shouldn't be apologizing for your painting.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I don't like richyp's messy painting.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

berzerkmonkey posted:

I'm not saying it was sloppy, it's just that my brain keeps interpreting that photo in a weird way.

And, not for nothing, a lot of really nicely painted miniatures break down when you zoom in on them at 1000%. Doesn't mean they're bad or poorly painted, it just means that they are being viewed in a way that they shouldn't be.

You, of all people, shouldn't be apologizing for your painting.

Sloppy was probably the wrong word, I meant sloppy in that I tend to paint in broad deliberately inaccurate strokes with a big brush like I'm using oils or watercolor rather than carefully and delicately. :v:

sassassin posted:

I don't like richyp's messy painting.

You and me both but he'll disappear soon enough.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
Progress on my dreadnaughts

I've caught a dreadful dread fever and will be acquiring the venerable dread and the ironclad one! at least the venerable comes with 10 marines and a captain these days (it's in the start collecting! box)

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
Nomad Panda dude from the box earlier

He's probably the smallest model I've painted. It was between painting him tonight or the Combined Army Shavastii Sniper but being a dumbass I left him at a height at which he could be knocked off my desk and now he needs rebuilding again.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
This thread has inspired me to start painting for the first time in over twenty years. Here is the progress I've made so far on my third mini:

I know I should've removed the mold lines, but I figured this was just a practice run and I was sick of removing them from my CoC. Everyone's advice on using mediums, eyes, and thinning paints were particularly helpful.

I don't like the paint I use for iron, it is a bit clumpy.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Third mini in twenty years?

Well that's obnoxiously good. Nice work! There's really nothing obvious to criticise, it looks good.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
My only real suggestion would be to use a lighter metallic color to highlight the sharpened part of the axe. Other than that, looks good!

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
Man, I've been busy but never seem to have enough time.

Two large bases for two large models:

That's the Storm Strider.

That's for the Storm Wall, which I put pins in so I can just plop onto the base when it's done.

Fits nice. So I primed em up and started airbrushing :science:

I need to go get some mineral spirits so I can do some oil paint washes. I'm happy with how it's going thus far though.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
I bought this model from Atlantis Game's consignment section at the 2015 Nova. It was badly damaged, poorly assembled with a bunch of missing arms and weapons. I got it because it was cheap and I might be able to use it for a conversion. I don't know why, but this month I just had to paint this model for a dead game I never played.

Not sure why Mary's face looks all hosed up.

I also painted some of my Wrath of Kings Hadross models this month:

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Any 80's kids here?

Saw this and immediately had to get the full set. Apparently more are coming in the series: http://ntseshop.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=185

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

krushgroove posted:

Any 80's kids here?

Saw this and immediately had to get the full set. Apparently more are coming in the series: http://ntseshop.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=185

I loved Time Bandits :v:

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
What's up with Prodos' models? I cleaned up a few Warzone Resurrection models as usual, but the primer just beads right off of them like on a Bones model. Are they made of some weird material?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
AFAIK just standard resin, but they might use a wax or petroleum jelly type material to aid the mold release, so did you give them a good wash in warm soapy water? I have a couple boxes of army starter sets but I have yet to even open them.

e: also if you're painting or airbrushing the resin on, try not to dilute it at all (or very much) sometimes primer likes to be at 'full strength' - and I nearly forgot, what is the temperature of the room you're painting in? If it's cold (like, less than 70 degrees F or 21 degrees C) paint doesn't like to stick to plastic very much.

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Feb 26, 2016

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I washed them in warm soap water, then cleaned them with cold, clear water. They say on the official forum that you don't need to wash the models because of their 'special' release agent, but there's no way that isn't bullshit.
It's about 25c where I work today, the sun heats the place up like crazy, so that's not the problem. Vallejo's airbrush primer didn't work even if I didn't dilute it at all, so I had to use some of their thick dropper bottle primer, and it still wanted to bead up even with a 5:1 primer-water ratio.
Guess I'll try a couple of other figures to see if they're any better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Slowpoke, I love that coven throne. Based on your post in the oath thread it seems that you were going for a Hocus Pocus theme and you nailed it. It looks awesome.

Do you mind telling me how you did the ghostly green flames? I have a demon prince on the block as my next painting project, and I have been toying with the idea of using a similar ghost flame effect on him.