Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which non-Power of the Daleks story would you like to see an episode found from?
This poll is closed.
Marco Polo 36 20.69%
The Myth Makers 10 5.75%
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 45 25.86%
The Savages 2 1.15%
The Smugglers 2 1.15%
The Highlanders 45 25.86%
The Macra Terror 21 12.07%
Fury from the Deep 13 7.47%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Davros1 posted:

The best was recently he was begging online for someone to help him pay for this huge shipment of records he was trying to procure. I think he was asking someone to go in half for it. And in return, they would get a fair number of the records. Selected by him, after he went through the collection for what he wanted.

I am happy to give Levine some credit, because the thing that he blew his fortune on the first time around in the late 1980s was sinking a whole pile of money into a record label which would bring in all of these old Tamla Motown artists and get them recording new Motown-style songs. I think that's an admirable use of one's resources. Of course, the main problem was that Ian Levine is nowhere near as talented a songwriter or producer as Holland-Dozier-Holland, Smokey Robinson, Norman Whitfield, Frank Wilson or Berry Gordy. It tried its best, but in the end it didn't have the same quality as any of the Tamla Motown material from the 1960s it was trying to emulate.

IceAgeComing posted:

but they've both explicitly been the same show since the start? certainly since "school reunion", which I think is one of the best episodes of New Who and - I was still a kid at the time (13 or 14 I think) but I thought that it was cool that they were bringing back people who'd been in the original show, although I probably cared more about K9 than Sarah Jane since i liked the idea of the Doctor having a robot dog as a pet.

As I understand it, the BBC were keen that the 2005 series should be a complete reboot, but RTD pushed very hard to ensure that it was a revival and not a remake. He doesn't get as much credit as he deserves for that; in fact, he's often been accused of aiming in the other direction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Spare Parts too, that was good. Not as good as Spare Prats though

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

Fuck them other cats I'm running with my own wolfpack

Keep fronting like youse a thug and get ya dome pushed back
Colditz rules.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

MrL_JaKiri posted:

XXXXXX

In Valhalla, Capital of Callisto, Jupiter's premier moon, anything and everything is for sale. But Valhalla is in trouble due to Earth granting independence and cutting off the supplies. The Doctor visits the Job Centre and finds power cuts, barcoded citizens and monthly riots and a termite problem.

XXXXXX

Cast

The Doctor — Sylvester McCoy
Jevvan — Michelle Gomez
Our Mother — Susannah York
Laxton — Philip Jackson
Gerium — Fraser James
Tin-Marie — Donna Berlin
Clerk — Duncan Wisbey
Groom — Dominic Frisby
Worker — Jack Galagher

XXXXXX

Written by Mark Platt (Spare Parts, Ghost Light)
Directed by John Ainsworth
Executive producers Nicholas Briggs, Jason Haigh-Ellery

XXXXXX

It's The Macra Terror but less good

Excuse me that's Marc Platt I'll have you know :goonsay:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Trin Tragula posted:

Excuse me that's Marc Platt I'll have you know :goonsay:

Corrected, thanks for the heads up!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

That's as embarrassing as when one of the pure mathematicians in the department said in a lecture that the Riemann zeta function was holomorphic for Re(s)>0 rather than Re(s)>1!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Anyway what should I listen to next? Only heard Loup-Garoux, Chimes, Spare Prats, Davros, The One Doctor and Blood of the Daleks so far and my tablet's given up the ghost so I need something else to entertain me in the gym.

(Respectively: ok, ok, :perfect:, :mediocre:, absolute shite, :mediocre: )

I'd suggest The Kingmaker, purely because while it's merely okay for the first half (and in fact has some glaring problems/bizarre narrative choices) it has one of the most amazing cliffhangers 3/4s of the way through and the final episode just embraces fully going loving crazy and is a lot of fun.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Colditz first because it's cheap!

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Singularity is an underrated gem.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CobiWann posted:

I thought it was okay, but I'm still struck by how (superficially) similar the story beats are to The Sound of Drums/The Last of the Time Lords, which was made a couple years AFTER this audio.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

jivjov posted:

War, 9, 10, and 11 honestly believe that they did, in fact, doom their entire species. The Doctor has that guilt and shame, and it isn't until the events of Day of the Doctor that 11 and forward change things. From the point of view of the Doctor and the viewer, that entire time the Doctor did push the button. The Doctor was willing to burn Gallifrey and all the Daleks, and, for at least a while, he actually did make that choice.

The special also isn't 100% clear whether he actually did always save Gallifrey or if he changed the past. Lines like "you'll burn, I've seen that and I never want to see it again" make it easy to imagine that right up until Day Of The Doctor he actually did kill all the Time Lords.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

2house2fly posted:

The special also isn't 100% clear whether he actually did always save Gallifrey or if he changed the past. Lines like "you'll burn, I've seen that and I never want to see it again" make it easy to imagine that right up until Day Of The Doctor he actually did kill all the Time Lords.

That's what makes the "retcon" of Day of the Doctor so good; it allows both "Killed all the Time Lords and most of the Daleks" both happen and not happen.

And, even if the outcome was always "Didn't actually kill everyone", the Doctor at least still had to live with the knowledge that he did it.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Day of the Doctor was a C at best.

This is not something I'm saying as part of the "reveal your secret Doctor Who beliefs" because I'll happily tell it to anyone who'll listen.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Day of the Doctor was a C at best.

I'm getting tired of the relentless negativity this thread constantly has for Day of the Doctor! I can't believe I was literally the only person who liked it, I guess I just don't watch Doctor Who "right".

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jerusalem posted:

I'm getting tired of the relentless negativity this thread constantly has for Day of the Doctor! I can't believe I was literally the only person who liked it, I guess I just don't watch Doctor Who "right".

Love you so much

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

SICK TO HIS STOMACH!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

It's the CARDIS.

loving kills me every time.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

CobiWann posted:

And once again I'll cite those last thirty seconds as an emotional gut-punch that only Davison could have pulled off.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

cargohills posted:

The first one wasn't great but I recently finished listening to the second War Doctor box set and it's much, much better. It gets across the sense of a Time War across very well: in the third episode, "The Neverwhen", it's just a regular battle but time is constantly shifting - technology and evolution both go back and forwards, with past/future Daleks and Time Lords involved. It's really cool.

I really enjoyed the second boxset too, just finished it up and while it is still mostly straightforward in terms of the potential weirdness of the Time War, I think they're moving in the right direction. I also loved how they characterized the War Doctor, particularly the way everything wraps up with his warning to Ollistra about how he means to go about matters from now on. Was a bit of a :hellyeah: moment for me even though in context it is a little heartbreaking.

Best part though is in the Behind the Scenes stuff. While Big Finish were discussing bringing in David Warner for a major role, he rang them up to ask if he could pop in for a few minutes to say hello to John Hurt :3:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

This was the best Xmas present. Thank you again, Forktoss :3:

(You should totally do more comics)

EdBlackadder
Apr 8, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

Jerusalem posted:

Nah man, I loved it and so did my whole family.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

It's my favourite Who thing of the revival, honestly.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Rochallor posted:

Marc Platt really is a hit-and-miss writer. For every Spare Parts or The Silver Turk, there's a this or a that one story he did with Morbius and the Eighth Doctor.

That was Nick Briggs. Platt wrote the crocodile one, which I thought was pretty great.

(That said, Platt has his ups and downs, but at the very least he clearly puts a lot of effort into creating imaginative and interesting settings and characters. It's more like he concocts stories than plots them, hence all the foul tasting brews I guess.)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

EdBlackadder posted:

Nah man, I loved it and so did my whole family.

The_Doctor posted:

It's my favourite Who thing of the revival, honestly.

It was a joke :ssh:

Day of the Doctor is the closest this thread has ever come to a consensus opinion, most people seemed to love it (perhaps the fact it was loving amazing was a factor). I was just mocking a common thing that happens in these threads where immediately after the initial airing of a new episode, after lots of people praise it you get one or two somewhat negative comments and then somebody posts that they are shocked at the hugely negative reaction the episode is getting and can't understand why nobody liked it. I forget the exact term for it (confirmation bias? Or is it the opposite of that?) but basically the comments that disagree with somebody's point of view seem to stick out more and become the only thing they can focus on.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

It was a joke :ssh:

Day of the Doctor is the closest this thread has ever come to a consensus opinion, most people seemed to love it (perhaps the fact it was loving amazing was a factor). I was just mocking a common thing that happens in these threads where immediately after the initial airing of a new episode, after lots of people praise it you get one or two somewhat negative comments and then somebody posts that they are shocked at the hugely negative reaction the episode is getting and can't understand why nobody liked it. I forget the exact term for it (confirmation bias? Or is it the opposite of that?) but basically the comments that disagree with somebody's point of view seem to stick out more and become the only thing they can focus on.

This post is so wrong it could have been written by Pip and Jane!

:tipshat:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Not quite done with The Neverwhen yet, so maybe that will change my mind a little bit, but after the first two episodes of the 2nd War Doctor boxset, I'm still a little disappointed in how they're writing the War Doctor himself. John Hurt continues to amaze and impress, and he's got the "Captain Grumpy" persona down pat...but I really want to see hear the Doctor really be the "one who broke the promise". For example, the conclusion of A Thing of Guile would have played SO much better to me if the Doctor himself who put on the Anima device and coerced the Daleks into firing on each other, rather than having Ollistra do it. I think that flows better for an incarnation that would say "What I did, I did without choice. In the name of peace and sanity". Talking someone else through an unpleasant scenario, making them to the dirty work, just doesn't seem like the War Doctor's style to me.

I know that fundamentally he's still the same man...but every time the War Doctor behaves exactly like any other incarnation of the Doctor would, it really undermines the "broke the promise" thing; makes me wonder why the 9th through 11th incarnations refused to acknowledge that incarnation's existence.

EDIT: Just rewatched a bit of Day, 11 even says that the War Doctor was a man who "had more blood on his hands than any other". So far they haven't let the War Doctor directly do much killing at all...

jivjov fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Feb 26, 2016

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Anyway what should I listen to next? Only heard Loup-Garoux, Chimes, Spare Prats, Davros, The One Doctor and Blood of the Daleks so far and my tablet's given up the ghost so I need something else to entertain me in the gym.

Seasons of Fear, Neverland, or The Natural History of Fear are my recommendations for a McGann audio.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Listen to RRRRRRRRed.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Flip-Flop. And tell us what you think of it immediately.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I have yet to listen to the War Doctor, but I read the book, and I think it's more interesting and appropriate for moments of the old Doctors to shine through. He is the same man after all.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Astroman posted:

I have yet to listen to the War Doctor, but I read the book, and I think it's more interesting and appropriate for moments of the old Doctors to shine through. He is the same man after all.

Well, sure, there should be moments. He is, of course, still the Doctor...but I just want to see the moments that led him to pushing the Big Red Button the first time around.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

jivjov posted:

Not quite done with The Neverwhen yet, so maybe that will change my mind a little bit, but after the first two episodes of the 2nd War Doctor boxset, I'm still a little disappointed in how they're writing the War Doctor himself. John Hurt continues to amaze and impress, and he's got the "Captain Grumpy" persona down pat...but I really want to see hear the Doctor really be the "one who broke the promise". For example, the conclusion of A Thing of Guile would have played SO much better to me if the Doctor himself who put on the Anima device and coerced the Daleks into firing on each other, rather than having Ollistra do it. I think that flows better for an incarnation that would say "What I did, I did without choice. In the name of peace and sanity". Talking someone else through an unpleasant scenario, making them to the dirty work, just doesn't seem like the War Doctor's style to me.

I know that fundamentally he's still the same man...but every time the War Doctor behaves exactly like any other incarnation of the Doctor would, it really undermines the "broke the promise" thing; makes me wonder why the 9th through 11th incarnations refused to acknowledge that incarnation's existence.

EDIT: Just rewatched a bit of Day, 11 even says that the War Doctor was a man who "had more blood on his hands than any other". So far they haven't let the War Doctor directly do much killing at all...

"more blood on his hands" is referencing that he was the one that destroyed Gallifrey.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

cargohills posted:

"more blood on his hands" is referencing that he was the one that destroyed Gallifrey.

The way the lines and depictions are structured; 11 is saying that at Arcadia, pre-destruction of Gallifrey, War has the blood on his hands.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

jivjov posted:

I do think that by the end of The Neverwhen you'll have seen that they are very much moving in the direction you'd like, I certainly did.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Jerusalem posted:

I do think that by the end of The Neverwhen you'll have seen that they are very much moving in the direction you'd like, I certainly did.

Oh good!

And again; I think the stories being told are great, John Hurt is killing it...I'm just not getting quite what I expected. With two more box sets to go, I'm hoping we get a nice neat arc that leads in the general direction of the Engines of War novel and the fall of Arcadia from Day.

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
There is one announced but unannounced (as in, the title hasn't been revealed yet) book adaptation on its way. As great as Nick Briggs' War Doctor impression is, it'd be incredible to have a full cast Engines of War audio as a lead-out to the War Doctor series. Bonus points if they manage to get Timothy Dalton in for some lines.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

MrL_JaKiri posted:

There's a disturbing lack of Evelyn in that list.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Jerusalem posted:

Quoting the same post again because I went ahead and finished up The Neverwhen before bed...and yes, yes that is exactly what I wanted from the War Doctor.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

Assuming that the thing being confirmed is "The thread is anti-Doctor Who" then it's a confirmation bias.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

After The War posted:

There's a disturbing lack of Evelyn in that list.

Good news!
http://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/doctor-who-special-offers-on-evelyn-smythe

• Locked thread