Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Last nights arena fuckery was weird. I got a penta with Bakasura, who i have historically been poo poo with but i'm now tearing it up, I also had two games in a row where the pubbies went "lol five man assassin teams" and I managed to carry one of those matches to victory.

Aside from that I decided to try and teach my friends conquest. Three experienced guys, one terrible guy but has 400 hours, one newbie who hasn't played games on a pc his entire life, aside from in the last two months.

The newbie got given ADC and one of the experienced guys was tasked with teaching him how to farm and keep his rear end out of the fire, it went pretty well. Other experienced guy went solo lane and I went mid with vulcan (i've never played mid, vulcan didn't seem like a bad choice though, i was leading in kills/damage). It was going really well, except for our horrendously bad guy.

I've gone over the basics of farming with him, we all went over the basics of jungling with him, we gave the fucker a route to try and follow when he can. You know what he loving does? He picks loki, then to try and gank, he'll run directly at the enemy, THEN go invisible once they've seen him, then complain that he can't do any damage because he's not loving farming.

Help me to not stab this guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Electric Lady posted:

The good news is: I just had my first game where I did better than anyone else on my team!!

The bad news is

:smithicide:

Happens :unsmith:

Just keep having fun! You'll go places for sure~ should arena with me and some other goons later :shobon: v

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
Already master 3 raijin

he is just too fun and them drum sounds

ive gotten some nice snipes with T A I K O D R U M S :japan:

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/hirezscott/status/701865466852208641

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things

Lastgirl posted:

Happens :unsmith:

Just keep having fun! You'll go places for sure~ should arena with me and some other goons later :shobon: v

I can't feel too bad, I did pretty well in an arena game just previous to that.

That would be really nice~ Are you in the Mumble at all? If not what's your in-game name?

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
https://twitter.com/HirezChris/status/701919528356286464

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

Cute. I hope she has her wolf companion with her too.

X_ThePerfect
Jul 31, 2010
Got a ps4 alpha code - T486-7MNM-JG44

I registered as in the UK so it might only work on the UK PSN store but I honestly have no idea.

My PSN is the same as my username if anybody wants to play also but I have no clue what I am doing but mythology is cool and fun.

beaner69
Sep 12, 2009
Besides the bone i also play some on ps4 psnid: FutaInYourButta

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I just hit 100 hours of playtime on this game after starting about 6 weeks ago on PC. Fun game, I do like it. I have a few issues with it:

1. Matchmaking is garbage. Way too often I get matched with (and against) absolute garbage tier players. Once in a while I'll check smite.guru and confirm my suspicions. The utterly useless pubbie on my team, yup, 40% win rate or thereabouts. In my most recent game, Hades in Arena, I had six ultimates in a row, snaring three+ enemies, with no followup whatsoever from the rest of my team. Not a single nuke or autoattack, and they went in after the ultimate had ended. We still won because the enemy team had dumpster players too, but Jesus Christ. I guess maybe it gets better once I start playing ranked?

2. Too many gods have this weird delay/lag on casting their abilities and too often it means I try to quickly cast something and it never goes off. Tyr is the single biggest offender for this. He's animation-locked for basically everything he does, and you can't smoothly stance switch to chain up combos. I've basically given up entirely on trying to play Tyr and Ullr because of this, it's cost me too many fights where I try to hit a button and it just never casts. Freya has a similar problem where you can't quickly 1-2 or 2-1 and get full uptime on both abilities because she's stuck in the casting animation. Closest you can get is about 4.5 seconds on the first buff and 4 seconds on the second buff once you're finished casting both. It's kind of a shame since I like the concept of all three gods and the times when their mechanics DO cooperate smoothly with me feel really great. In comparison, Sol and Amaterasu and Ravana are super responsive and I wouldn't be surprised if that's partly contributing to why they're considered strong nowadays (aside from meta considerations).

3. In the occasions that matchmaking does toss me up against competent players, high level Arena/Joust kind of sucks, it becomes a huge game of footsie waiting for someone on the other team to gently caress up and everyone dogpiles after that. Without that fuckup, then it becomes a constant waiting game with waveclear and tepid poking. Conquest takes way too long for the amount of time and patience I have these days, and Siege/Assault/Clash are frankly nonserious gamemodes.

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

Brannock posted:

nonserious gamemodes

A billion lols

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

well, he's not wrong

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

TheChaosPath posted:

A billion lols

Oh, no, I get it. Arena and Joust shoves tons and tons of gold at you and you don't really have to work much for it, and the intricacy is significantly dumbed down from Conquest. I'm a longtime dotalike veteran, I definitely get it. Siege/Clash/Assault are even worse about this. I'd play more Conquest if games didn't have a habit of going 30-40 minutes long.

It's just that I can't find that sweet spot between the constant action of Arena and the dozen different ways of inching ahead of your opponent that Conquest has. Joust isn't quite it, and high level Arena is, as I said, too careful and cautious to be it.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Ranked is too high pressure for me except for duel. If you're tired of lovely randoms play with friends/goons?

Also did you ever play on the old Joust map? If you think the tower camping is bad now

Farecoal fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Feb 24, 2016

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
The old Joust map was loving awful and I'm very glad it's gone. New Joust is a gigantic improvement. I kind of wish there was like, one extra way to gain a map advantage other than Bull King // setting up an ambush here!

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
My quests for the week are Hunter and Norse. I go, oh I'll just play Freya and knock both of them out at once.

Freya and Sol don't count as hunters.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

they do magic damage so uh yeah what did you expect

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Play Ullr and marvel and how annoying he is to use.

Seriously, if your team doesn't fancy locking anyone down and the other team is even slightly seriously towards escaping, Ullr is loving awful to try to get kills with. He's by far my worst hunter. Granted, this might just be because no hunter I use is as good as AMC.

On nuking terms, i really, really hate mages right now. They're the last set of characters I have to master and if the team i'm playing against isn't locking people down then i'm useless. Or at least I feel useless, i'll pull off 40,000 damage a game and end up with four kills or something silly because people can just escape the wraith.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Minrad posted:

they do magic damage so uh yeah what did you expect

Clearly I expected them to be hunters. I've never heard anyone refer to sol or freya as anything but a hunter.

cyclonic
Dec 15, 2005

Brannock posted:

I just hit 100 hours of playtime on this game after starting about 6 weeks ago on PC. Fun game, I do like it. I have a few issues with it:

1. Matchmaking is garbage. Way too often I get matched with (and against) absolute garbage tier players. Once in a while I'll check smite.guru and confirm my suspicions. The utterly useless pubbie on my team, yup, 40% win rate or thereabouts. In my most recent game, Hades in Arena, I had six ultimates in a row, snaring three+ enemies, with no followup whatsoever from the rest of my team. Not a single nuke or autoattack, and they went in after the ultimate had ended. We still won because the enemy team had dumpster players too, but Jesus Christ. I guess maybe it gets better once I start playing ranked?

2. Too many gods have this weird delay/lag on casting their abilities and too often it means I try to quickly cast something and it never goes off. Tyr is the single biggest offender for this. He's animation-locked for basically everything he does, and you can't smoothly stance switch to chain up combos. I've basically given up entirely on trying to play Tyr and Ullr because of this, it's cost me too many fights where I try to hit a button and it just never casts. Freya has a similar problem where you can't quickly 1-2 or 2-1 and get full uptime on both abilities because she's stuck in the casting animation. Closest you can get is about 4.5 seconds on the first buff and 4 seconds on the second buff once you're finished casting both. It's kind of a shame since I like the concept of all three gods and the times when their mechanics DO cooperate smoothly with me feel really great. In comparison, Sol and Amaterasu and Ravana are super responsive and I wouldn't be surprised if that's partly contributing to why they're considered strong nowadays (aside from meta considerations).

3. In the occasions that matchmaking does toss me up against competent players, high level Arena/Joust kind of sucks, it becomes a huge game of footsie waiting for someone on the other team to gently caress up and everyone dogpiles after that. Without that fuckup, then it becomes a constant waiting game with waveclear and tepid poking. Conquest takes way too long for the amount of time and patience I have these days, and Siege/Assault/Clash are frankly nonserious gamemodes.

1) Play with goons, join the mumble. The unfortunate thing is matchmaking is bad for us too. We'll go on a win streak then the matchmaking will put us up against pros, and the one pubbie we have on our team will be autobuying/auto-leveling. Or the elo disparity between the goons will be too wide and the matchmaking puts us up against either newbs or pros...at least you will have semi-competent teammates though.

2) I have this problem on some gods, the worst offender for me is Scylla's crush. There's so many times I could've sworn I mashed the detonate button but nothing happens, and my target just feely walks out.

3) Those are pretty much how our Arena/Assault games run. We were on a Clash kick for the longest time (because you can't turtle like you can with the other modes), but we're running into super try-hard groups that do nothing but pick the new OP gods (my last Clash game the enemy team consisted of Chiron, Sol, Ravana, Raijin, Thor :smithicide:). We've gone back to Assault so we don't have to put up with these tryhard comps anymore. We don't like dealing with the bullshit "footsies" either, so we usually dive hard. We probably end up losing because of it, but an action packed 15 minute game is better than a 40+ minute farm/stare fest.

RGCrab
Aug 23, 2012

dogstile posted:

Play Ullr and marvel and how annoying he is to use.

Seriously, if your team doesn't fancy locking anyone down and the other team is even slightly seriously towards escaping, Ullr is loving awful to try to get kills with. He's by far my worst hunter. Granted, this might just be because no hunter I use is as good as AMC.

On nuking terms, i really, really hate mages right now. They're the last set of characters I have to master and if the team i'm playing against isn't locking people down then i'm useless. Or at least I feel useless, i'll pull off 40,000 damage a game and end up with four kills or something silly because people can just escape the wraith.

Ullr is actually really great for jousting and dueling. He can 100% equal level hunters if you catch them off guard by going glory bound->throw axe->stance switch->bladed arrow->hail. I used to really hate him since one of my buddies insisted on playing him in arena and he couldn't secure anything, but I started playing him for 3v3 jousts and realized how much of a beast he can be in short lanes and some jungles.

If you are having trouble locking people down for the kill as a mage, you should try Chronos or Isis. Chronos is pretty much a confused ADC that ended up at Hogwarts' and a properly built Isis can 100% another mage with just a Spirit Ball. They both also have stuns/slows/speed boosts in their kits so chasing is a breeze.

beaner69
Sep 12, 2009
Speaking of ullr, hes getting a buff!

cyclonic
Dec 15, 2005

Leap year sale:

quote:

From Friday, February 26th to Monday, February 29th, enjoy 50% off 29 skins for the Leap Year!

Translation: spend those gems you've been freely accumulating so you have nothing when the season ticket promotion starts and will be forced to buy gems!

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

LibrarianCroaker posted:

Clearly I expected them to be hunters. I've never heard anyone refer to sol or freya as anything but a hunter.

This is still blowing my mind

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
PTS Patch 3.3 notes:

http://www.smitegame.com/pts-patch-notes-victory-lap-3-3/

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Amaterasu was challenging Queen Bellona for the throne, so they gotta take her down a notch.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Ravana is too cool for a nerf Hi-Rez

and :lol: at the Bulwark and Valor changes. people weren't dying enough i guess????

cyclonic
Dec 15, 2005

Bulwark needs to get nerfed. I don't know what they were thinking.

Wait I do know. It's HiRez balance at work: nobody is buying an item so they buff it to the point where it's OP and EVERYONE is buying it.

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix
Bulwark was a little too ridiculous. I had zero fun when playing a guardian or tanky warrior desperately trying to whittle down a Khepri or Geb's bulwark shield before it came back up again and stacked making them even more impossible to kill. It was a nightmare playing with people who didn't understand that if nothing else, the shield needed to come off because if they were able to stay alive long enough it would just be up again. I once saw a Geb at like 15% health with enough shields from bulwark and his 3 that he was effectively above half.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Nucular Carmul posted:

Bulwark was a little too ridiculous. I had zero fun when playing a guardian or tanky warrior desperately trying to whittle down a Khepri or Geb's bulwark shield before it came back up again and stacked making them even more impossible to kill. It was a nightmare playing with people who didn't understand that if nothing else, the shield needed to come off because if they were able to stay alive long enough it would just be up again. I once saw a Geb at like 15% health with enough shields from bulwark and his 3 that he was effectively above half.

It had gotten to the point where I advised all of my friends to fit bulwark into their build. The death rate was cut in half, its so loving good right now. It's probably still going to be good, but it won't be "put it on an assassin and chew through three people focusing on you" good.

RGCrab posted:

Ullr is actually really great for jousting and dueling. He can 100% equal level hunters if you catch them off guard by going glory bound->throw axe->stance switch->bladed arrow->hail. I used to really hate him since one of my buddies insisted on playing him in arena and he couldn't secure anything, but I started playing him for 3v3 jousts and realized how much of a beast he can be in short lanes and some jungles.

If you are having trouble locking people down for the kill as a mage, you should try Chronos or Isis. Chronos is pretty much a confused ADC that ended up at Hogwarts' and a properly built Isis can 100% another mage with just a Spirit Ball. They both also have stuns/slows/speed boosts in their kits so chasing is a breeze.

He's got great poke, but I can never confirm a kill with him. I don't do bad, I just don't perform outstandingly well with him. I like his throw axe ability though, its really good for setting you up for that last bit of damage.

As of last night, I have now mastered both Chronos and Isis. Isis is a loving blast to play and i've gotten more than a few people angry at my "stunning" performance. Chronos was really fun once I realised how good accelerate was, especially as you can use it to help you tower dive and then ult back out of the tower. Won us an assault via pheonix dive with that trick.

42 minute game of assault because four of us rolled (and rerolled) mages and one guy (who is a drat good guardian) rolled geb.

I'm going to miss playing chronos, dancing around an ADC who doesn't know how to juke is so fun.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

Jimbot posted:

Amaterasu was challenging Queen Bellona for the throne, so they gotta take her down a notch.

The weird thing is Amaterasu is good.. There's no denying that but I never felt like "Man she's just too much to deal with." So I'm just a bit confused as to why she's even getting a nerf.

Ah~ I still love it when people complain that Ares is kill stealing. It's sooo beautiful. Sorry I'm "Bursting them down so much" with Ares? You know bursting them down with my damage over time abilities. Apparently getting in there chaining 3 people and tanking all their attacks is KSing now.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Electric Lady posted:

I can't feel too bad, I did pretty well in an arena game just previous to that.

That would be really nice~ Are you in the Mumble at all? If not what's your in-game name?

I'm not in mumble because my ears are broken :unsmith:

It's LAVRENMAYBERRY in game

Brannock posted:

Fair assessment tbh, I do agree that Smite's MMR is rear end and your best and safest bet is to play with people you know. I get better results with this.

A tip for quick casting is to press K in game, it will bring up the skill descriptor with a drop down menu on each panel and see if you can toggle from Default, Normal, Quick, Instant Cast.

I did this for Raijin's 3 and it was a gamechanger. I swapped it from default to Quick Casting, so all I have to do is hold down R, which is what I keybinded his 3 to, and let go once I find the area I want to flash to. Try that imo, it'll change it up for sure. I put Kali's 3 on instant casting for stun. Plenty of ways to change this up

Lastgirl fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Feb 25, 2016

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

this owns

Skadi and Artemis laning buddies~

cyclonic
Dec 15, 2005

Zain posted:

The weird thing is Amaterasu is good.. There's no denying that but I never felt like "Man she's just too much to deal with." So I'm just a bit confused as to why she's even getting a nerf.

She gets free (bonus) damage off her mirror, so she can deal substantial damage while building tanky. It's one of many reasons why Bellona is strong (bonus damage off her bludgeon).

Her ult makes everyone panic because unlike the old Guan Yu ult where you had to hit the same consecutive target to get the cc, she gets the cc "for free" as long as she hits SOMETHING (even minions).

That plus her sustain and mobility are unreal, compounded by low flat cooldowns. Not only is her ult difficult to deal with, she most likely will have hers up again before yours (75 flat vs a typical 90s; and if she maxes CDR she can have it up in 45s equating to almost every team fight).

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
I'll live with the reduced damage on the 2, but I really hope they don't change the way Amaterasu's ult delivers CC. Ammy gets unkillable after a certain point between her 2's damage reduction and constantly switching her 1 for the healing. Her place is in the middle of a teamfight, tanking, giving her aura to anyone else who's in the thick of it and cleaning up anyone who might try to run away with her 3 before diving right back in (which is easy since it stops as soon as it hits someone). Even if they reduce the 4's damage, I think it's really important that she is able to CC as many folks as possible. Maybe they could take out the CC proccing by hitting minions, but If they make it like Guan Yu's old ult full-stop then while she'll still have the tanking, she'll lose a ton of usefulness in the teamfight by losing the threat of a big group 4, and the entire second half of her kit becomes a weird chasing set that doesn't fit with the rest of it. Granted, with what you build on her (the frost hammer and whatnot) she does have that chasing capability and do a lot of right-clicking, but for me she's really shone as a tank.

Lastgirl posted:

I'm not in mumble because my ears are broken :unsmith:

It's LAVRENMAYBERRY in game

Very sorry! I had no idea in the least.

I added you this morning before work so I'm looking forward to playing with you and other folks soon =)

Electric Lady fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Feb 25, 2016

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I just don't like how often her ult procs, especially with how hard it is to avoid and how potent it is. She can build tanky as hell, hit her 2, hit her ult and that's it, you're hosed. Even if you've built tanky, she does enough damage and keeps you in one place long enough to get bursted down.

I can still deal with her, but she's noticeably more annoying than Bellona.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Beads make her ultimate useless. Hit them before the 3rd hit and laugh as you avoid being stunned.

I play with randoms too, so it's not like they make use of me stunning a few people anyway.

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
I wonder if they could balance it by making the 4's hitbox smaller. I'd be upset for maybe 10 minutes, but I think I could manage.

Jimbot posted:

Beads make her ultimate useless. Hit them before the 3rd hit and laugh as you avoid being stunned.

I play with randoms too, so it's not like they make use of me stunning a few people anyway.

I usually wait to drop the 4 but this comment makes me think it'd be an effective initiate from the damage alone and the suggestion to pop beads before the 3rd hit (so long as your team can follow up with more CC). Enjoy wasting your beads, nerds <3

(But all in all, I think the 4 should be considered for its teamfight utility, not its chasing utility, just for the threat it provides.)

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I usually initialize with my 4 towards the end game but early and mid I use it to finish off low-health enemies sitting under towers. Then I can use my 3 and 1 to get away and heal the damage I took.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cyclonic
Dec 15, 2005

Jimbot posted:

Beads make her ultimate useless.

No it doesn't. The low cooldown on her ult makes your beads useless.

• Locked thread