Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Get a head unit that does bluetooth audio? Back/forward/pause is a basic feature they all provide.

Added bonus, buying car stereos is fun. Get one with CarPlay. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

If you don't want to pay $600 for a new stereo (last I checked that's the cheapeast I could find one with CarPlay), you can get a little device with audio controls that clips on to your steering wheel. I have one from Satechi that works okay.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

dik-dik posted:

If you don't want to pay $600 for a new stereo (last I checked that's the cheapeast I could find one with CarPlay), you can get a little device with audio controls that clips on to your steering wheel. I have one from Satechi that works okay.

Not quite $600. There's several in the $450 range on Amazon (though maybe approaching $600 when you get the appropriate adapters and such). Which is still significantly more than a thing that clips to your steering wheel, obviously.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

azzenco posted:

I miss my jailbreak app which let you map the volume keys to control the music.app (change track forward, back, etc). Is there anything I can buy to do that? If not, are jailbreaks still out there?

I know the headphone does that but I don't always have headphones on. Other times I am driving and want to change tracks without looking at my phone. A very specific need I know.
Could you mount the phone, hook a car charger to it, and use a car-friendly music app (like CarTunes) that leaves the screen turned on and has easy-access controls?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

Not quite $600. There's several in the $450 range on Amazon (though maybe approaching $600 when you get the appropriate adapters and such). Which is still significantly more than a thing that clips to your steering wheel, obviously.

You also have to buy parts to rewire crap like your reverse camera and stuff if your car has that. I looked into replacing the head unit on my 16 WRX and it ended up being pretty expensive so I said gently caress it.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah "Get a new head unit" is nowhere near a simple solution, and for some manufacturers there are no adapters for some features you will lose. ( For example, with a third party head unit on a Mazda3, you will lose your steering wheel call buttons. )

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I didn't say it was simple, I just said it was an option.

But yes there needs to be a standardized bus for third party devices to plug in to steering wheel media controls. We might get that by 2030.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Dave posted:

Yeah "Get a new head unit" is nowhere near a simple solution, and for some manufacturers there are no adapters for some features you will lose. ( For example, with a third party head unit on a Mazda3, you will lose your steering wheel call buttons. )

Oh, no, I totally agree it's a bad solution, and far from simple for most cars.

I'm still looking into it, because worst case I lose a USB port, but even that is possible to keep if I put in the effort. Yay for having a fairly simple car.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
My 6s finally arrived and it's magical.

Idea: Every app, by default, should have a 3D Touch menu option that brings you right to the app's settings menu. In the OS, I mean. It could be an OS level setting so third parties don't even need to activate it.

Genius, right?!!!?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Bass Bottles posted:

My 6s finally arrived and it's magical.

Idea: Every app, by default, should have a 3D Touch menu option that brings you right to the app's settings menu. In the OS, I mean. It could be an OS level setting so third parties don't even need to activate it.

Genius, right?!!!?

There's nothing in any given app which identifies what view(s) hold settings, so developers would still have to update their apps to conform if it was added.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue
All of you people with your blah blah blah car mount talk, just get the saddle brown car mount and be done with it already.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

carry on then posted:

There's nothing in any given app which identifies what view(s) hold settings, so developers would still have to update their apps to conform if it was added.

I meant the settings panel that you access from the iOS settings menu. Not inside the app itself. The place where you adjust notifications.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

azzenco posted:

Hadn't thought of that, thanks...but that won't work for me most of the time. Like when I'm running I have headphones without a mic so I can't trigger that. Also in my car my bluetooth mic doesn't work that well. Guess I'll see about jailbreaking.

The is no jailbreak for current IOS so if you update compulsively you are SOL for the time being.

As for customisation discussion I wouldn't want Apple to add themes but if they tightened up some of the animations, made portrait lock more useful, and removed useless poo poo like the carrier name from the already-crowded status bar that would be much appreciated.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

~Coxy posted:

useless poo poo like the carrier name

I imagine this is one of the few concessions Apple is willing to make to carriers on "branding," considering they don't allow any other carrier horseshit otherwise.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

~Coxy posted:

..removed useless poo poo like the carrier name from the already-crowded status bar that would be much appreciated.

My carrier name is "Vodafone UK" which is stupidly long given 1. I know which carrier I'm with and 2. I know which country I'm in. Could they have least just gone VodaUK?

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

My carrier name is "Vodafone UK" which is stupidly long given 1. I know which carrier I'm with and 2. I know which country I'm in. Could they have least just gone VodaUK?

Move to Three ("3").

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
In my country, they shut down 3 and shunt everyone to vodafoneAU :argh:

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Can't you actually change the carrier name without jail break? Or did they patch it?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I like having the carrier name up there so I can spot who I'm roaming on, and explain why I suddenly have LTE but no data available.

I wish I had taken a screenshot of how they jammed "Cellular One of Central Nebraska" in that tiny box.

Yossarko
Jan 22, 2004

How do I get the official Mail app on my iPhone to send me push notifications ? I can only get it to check (poll) every 15 minutes.

I thought this was maybe a Gmail limitation but every other app I've tried (CloudMagic, Outlook, etc) gives me instant push notifications. What am I doing wrong ?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Yossarko posted:

How do I get the official Mail app on my iPhone to send me push notifications ? I can only get it to check (poll) every 15 minutes.

I thought this was maybe a Gmail limitation but every other app I've tried (CloudMagic, Outlook, etc) gives me instant push notifications. What am I doing wrong ?

http://iphone.appleinsider.com/articles/13/03/25/googles-push-gmail-changes-surprise-new-iphone-buyers-apple-store-reps

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

Yossarko posted:

It's a gmail limitation.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

xzzy posted:

I didn't say it was simple, I just said it was an option.

But yes there needs to be a standardized bus for third party devices to plug in to steering wheel media controls. We might get that by 2030.

An option for less and less cars. I haven't had a car in the last 10 years where the head unit could be replaced.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yossarko posted:

It's a Gmail limitation. Other apps get around it by having an external server poll Gmail constantly, then pushing to you when there's an update.

If you're really intent on using Gmail and the stock app, you can have Gmail forward to iCloud, and use that.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

benisntfunny posted:

An option for less and less cars. I haven't had a car in the last 10 years where the head unit could be replaced.

Yeah p much since cheap LCDs and computers became a thing manufacturers started cramming every feature that didn't NEED a physical control with single layer UI onto it (and sometimes even that, see early prius putting the AC controls behind a touch screen) into it which kinda makes it kind of hard to standardise. Also dashboards have been designed around them while turning them from entertainment units to infotainment units and this is a good thing imo. Third party head units (even the modern double DIN ones) have always looked chintzy as gently caress and sticking with compatibility would have prevented manufacturers from going balls to the wall nuts with beauts like this

though OTOH lack of standardisation also allowed loving travesties like this piece of poo poo

Win some lose some I guess

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

iPad Pro Tesla dock looking good.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.
So what are everyone's impressions of the new S7/S7 Edge from the viewpoint of current iPhone users? I like that they actually added thickness for a bigger battery, plus it cuts down on the camera hump. I think it would be nice to see the dust and water resistance on an iPhone now that I have a kid... Two of my friends have had mics/earpieces ruined in their phones due to drool. The screen looks gorgeous as well.

However I still don't like touchwiz that much even with themes/launchers applied. The app quality just never seems to stand up to iOS either - sometimes it seems like driving a Ferrari on a dirt road. I'm just curious to see if they have sparked the interest of any current iPhone users.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

Yeah p much since cheap LCDs and computers became a thing manufacturers started cramming every feature that didn't NEED a physical control with single layer UI onto it (and sometimes even that, see early prius putting the AC controls behind a touch screen) into it which kinda makes it kind of hard to standardise. Also dashboards have been designed around them while turning them from entertainment units to infotainment units and this is a good thing imo. Third party head units (even the modern double DIN ones) have always looked chintzy as gently caress and sticking with compatibility would have prevented manufacturers from going balls to the wall nuts with beauts like this

though OTOH lack of standardisation also allowed loving travesties like this piece of poo poo

Win some lose some I guess

I am super not okay with touch only controls in cars. My dad was trying to use the touch controls in his new Impala while I was riding with him and it was terrifying.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

New cars with din/2din sockets are still out there, but it does narrow your options a fair bit.

But the interior is way more important than the exterior anyways. Too bad everyone buys based on the body style. :v:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I am super not okay with touch only controls in cars. My dad was trying to use the touch controls in his new Impala while I was riding with him and it was terrifying.
Touch-only controls are fine for little-used or unimportant functions. Like, if you want to put stereo EQ settings there, sure; those are rarely getting adjusted, and not really on the go. Unfortunately, everyone is shoving every control possible in them without any physical redundancy, and that's not good.

Also, Tesla's UI design looks like it should be a WinAmp skin from 1998.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Samsung phones are absolutely gorgeous but the software is totally poo poo. My brother and dad both have them and you couldn't pay me to use one.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
edit: nevermind i am a rear end

cage-free egghead fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Feb 25, 2016

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
Different case chat: battery case or external battery brick, thoughts?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Neither, my phone gets through a day just fine with its internal battery.

Though I do lug an external battery when backpacking.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Yeah, you shouldn't need it every day. Just get an external battery charger for long trips.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I've a brick for hiking too. Little anker thing. It's great. Wouldn't disrespect my 6s+ rose gold with a battery case :reject:

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Respect the Rose Gold.

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Wouldn't disrespect my 6s+ rose gold with a battery case :reject:

Wouldn't disrespect my phone with a Saddle Brown case either.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

MrBond posted:

Different case chat: battery case or external battery brick, thoughts?

Normal sized or plus? You have no good battery case options with the plus and it's not needed anyway. For the 6/6S the Anker cases are criminally cheap for what you get and I can't recommend them enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
My wife just got a new 6s+ and we're trying to restore from an iTunes backup of her old phone (5s). Both iTunes and the phone are up to date (iTunes 12.2.2.25 on a MacBook Pro; iOS 9.2.1). However plugging in the phone always produces this message:

Not sure what that's all about, since iTunes interfaces with her old phone just fine.

I tried checking for updates in iTunes. It said everything was up to date (and "About iTunes" identifies it as 12.2.2.25), but also throws up an error message about not being able to reach the update server:

Anyway wondering if anyone has experience with that error. Really hoping to restore soon. Can't restore from iCloud since there was some problem preventing backups on her old phone for months.