Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fishvilla
Apr 11, 2011

THE SHAGMISTRESS

Gorson posted:

Preach on, brother.

Hey, I think a while back you mentioned Bob's Java Hut. I've never been there, but I'm in Uptown last weekend, working my way down some side streets to avoid the traffic on 94 (on my way back to Sconnie) and I just happened to hit Lyndale at the Bob's intersection. Is it a good hangout or is it filled with wankers?

It's an interesting little joint. The people watching can be fantastic. Everything from hipsters to yuppies to hardcore bikers to suburban harley wannabees end up there on a random summer morning. The place goes absolutely nuts when the motorcycle shows are happening in uptown.

Every time I've gone there the people (i.e. guests) have been nice. There will occasionally be some really nice older bikes in there, too. BSA, Norton, Triumphs, Classic Harleys, and cafe'd out hipster bait pops in. Mostly it's a place for people to get some coffee and chat with friends, and then chat with random strangers about how awesome everyone's motorcycles are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
The conversion is complete. Turned out better than I expected.

I either need to get a replacement fender or an extender, since it bobbed itself in the crash, but whatever. I'll have to wait until nightfall to adjust the headlight, too. Have to get used to no fairing again. Also considering whether or not I should get a flyscreen or some such thing.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Fishvilla posted:

It's an interesting little joint. The people watching can be fantastic. Everything from hipsters to yuppies to hardcore bikers to suburban harley wannabees end up there on a random summer morning. The place goes absolutely nuts when the motorcycle shows are happening in uptown.

Every time I've gone there the people (i.e. guests) have been nice. There will occasionally be some really nice older bikes in there, too. BSA, Norton, Triumphs, Classic Harleys, and cafe'd out hipster bait pops in. Mostly it's a place for people to get some coffee and chat with friends, and then chat with random strangers about how awesome everyone's motorcycles are.

That sounds like it could be fun. If I ever ride up there, I'll buy you a coffee quad shot non-fat vanilla soy extra foam light whip with caramel drizzle.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Pope Mobile posted:

I either need to get a replacement fender or an extender, since it bobbed itself in the crash, but whatever. I'll have to wait until nightfall to adjust the headlight, too. Have to get used to no fairing again. Also considering whether or not I should get a flyscreen or some such thing.

Flyscreens are great at keeping noise down from wind around the cluster.

There are a handful of Buell flyscreens (Blast, XB1, Cyclone) that fit a 7" headlamp, so they're a pretty common go-to for naked conversions. You'd have to fab a couple brackets probably, but they do tend to look good. I think Holeshot makes aftermarket versions for Buells.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Pope Mobile posted:

Naked bike best bike.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
Finally got around to sinking a day into loving with my broken FZ6.

Primary/secondary ignition coil circuits check fine, plug caps test fine, brand new throttle position sensor (common FZ6 failure point, literally 1.5mi on it), new spark plugs, crankshaft position sensor is fine, etc. I'm still suspecting one of my sparkplug boots, but I've gone ahead and ordered a new battery that should be here in a few days (it reads very, very slightly out of spec). Gonna go change the oil in a bit too.

And I finally got around to removing the lovely merlin alarm that the PO put in the bike from my wiring harness. gently caress that thing.

RIP you terrible poo poo.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Took the Buell for a ride to warm up the oil. Weather was pretty clear until I got on the road, then a squall blew through and I got soaked. Got my Formula+ and 20w50, changed the oils, rode around to dry off and move the oil through the engine. Bike likes fresh oil.

Helped the spouse change her front brake lines. I guess 70,000 miles is past the "change me for god's sake" interval on oilhead boxers because one of her lines leaked all over Othello, WA last time she rode it in August. Replaced them with some fancy stainless braided lines.

The factory line goes from the cylinder to a 1-1 distribution box on the frame, down to another distribution doodad on the right fork leg, which splits to each caliper (two brakes on front? how quaint!). The line kit bypasses the useless junction on the frame. We settled on the notion that the nightmare BMW ABS system her bike is not equipped with needs the frame mounted junction for whatever reason.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

clutchpuck posted:

We settled on the notion that the nightmare BMW ABS system her bike is not equipped with needs the frame mounted junction for whatever reason.

I bet that's where the ABS actuator (?) is attached on the real bike, with a 3-way fitting, and BMW with their superior German engineering knowledge determined that it was better to keep the existing $3 brake lines and make a new $50 distribution block than replace the lines and remove the block entirely.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

I bet that's where the ABS actuator (?) is attached on the real bike, with a 3-way fitting, and BMW with their superior German engineering knowledge determined that it was better to keep the existing $3 brake lines and make a new $50 distribution block than replace the lines and remove the block entirely.

It's probably cheaper from a production standpoint, likely the front end is pre-assembled before it gets put on the rest of the bike or some such thing.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Bought a new tire change stand. Foot actuated helper arm for 3 pressure points without a helper, much better design than the cheapo one I've used up to now.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Supradog posted:

Bought a new tire change stand. Foot actuated helper arm for 3 pressure points without a helper, much better design than the cheapo one I've used up to now.

Where did you get it? And was the previous one Biltema's?

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
I ordered it from Xlmoto.no Old was the cheapo biltema one, this one:

It's okay for getting tires on, but a nightmare to get off tires gracefully, like if you derped and got distracted while putting it on mounting it backwards...

I usually ended up cutting one tire side wall wire on the old tires as you cant use the arm to push tires down off it, as the rim/tire already rests on the frame of the machine.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Slavvy posted:

It's probably cheaper from a production standpoint, likely the front end is pre-assembled before it gets put on the rest of the bike or some such thing.
Probably true. I can't see why it matters for the ABS. The ABS pump is under the tank on those things.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Probably true. I can't see why it matters for the ABS. The ABS pump is under the tank on those things.

So is that junction block on the frame.

BMW golden rule - Step 1: remove tank :eng101:

There's a superfluous third nipple on it, capped.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
This.

gently caress.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
My condolences. :( One of the more frustrating risks of riding. At least your tire looked like it needed replacing soon, and you have tubeless so you didn't need it towed or whatever happens to flats on tubed bikes oh god

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Coydog posted:

My condolences. :( One of the more frustrating risks of riding. At least your tire looked like it needed replacing soon, and you have tubeless so you didn't need it towed or whatever happens to flats on tubed bikes oh god

They get towed. It happened to me twice last year.

No. 6 fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Feb 24, 2016

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
time to start packing plugs and a c02 pump

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
If only this was a thing, Razzled. I bring plugs with my tubeless, but you can't plug a tube.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Coydog posted:

It's not tubeless, it's a DRZ :v:

Took the wheel to the mechanic this morning. I'll replace the both tires sometime next month probably.

AuxiliaryPatroller
Jul 23, 2007

No. 6 posted:

How do you like the nineT? I like boxer engines and shaft drives and the nineT just looks awesome/sexy- did you compare it to a r1200r?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Coydog posted:

If only this was a thing, Razzled. I bring plugs with my tubeless, but you can't plug a tube.

no but you can pack irons, and a tube...

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

No. 6 posted:

My wife carries a plug and co2 kit under her tank. It bailed us out in the middle of New Mexico when the Harley picked up a couple staples, definitely worth it.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Just slime it and don't tell the poor sap who ends up changing the tire.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Can you slime a tubed tire and limp it home?

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

no but you can pack irons, and a tube...

You overestimate how hardcore I am. I don't even want to replace my own tire, let alone fix it in the middle of nowhere. I even hated doing that with bicycles...

Marxalot posted:

It's not tubeless, it's a DRZ :v:

Took the wheel to the mechanic this morning. I'll replace the both tires sometime next month probably.

Oh no. Were you close enough to limp it home? How quickly did it lose air?

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
I didn't know I had a nail until I tried riding the bike to work this morning. Moving a DRZ shouldn't feel like moving a truck :v:

Pretty sure I got the nail about 5mi up the road where someone put me into the shoulder by completely merging into me in a highway interchange last night.

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Feb 25, 2016

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Coydog posted:

You overestimate how hardcore I am. I don't even want to replace my own tire, let alone fix it in the middle of nowhere. I even hated doing that with bicycles...

Would you rather try to push a goldwing with a flat tire up a hill and onto the back of a truck, or...
pop it on it's center-stand, slide the axle out, wheel off, air out rip out tube, lube and slide in new one, curse a couple times trying to get that loving valve stem through, succeed, re-mount wheel, pump up tire, and ride off?

The toughest part of that whole process is getting the drat valve stem through.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Rubbish, the toughest part of the whole process is pumping the tyre up with a billion strokes whilst wearing your riding gear.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Slavvy posted:

Rubbish, the toughest part of the whole process is pumping the tyre up with a billion strokes whilst wearing your riding gear.

Get a better pump, or a CO2 thing.

Or get swole I guess.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Marxalot posted:

Get a better pump, or a CO2 thing.

Or get swole I guess.

cruiser tires take a lot of loving CO2.
Get a bike pump or if you have luggage, get a small 12v pump and run it while you idle with the choke on.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

AuxiliaryPatroller posted:

How do you like the nineT? I like boxer engines and shaft drives and the nineT just looks awesome/sexy- did you compare it to a r1200r?

I never tried the r1200r, but the R Nine T rides well. I ride pretty hard and the brakes and suspension do well. I can see super sport riders finding it a bit soft, but overall I can throw it around or just cruise. It's pretty great.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Slavvy posted:

Then finding out you've pinched the tube and need to push it up the hill into the back of a truck anyway.

(Psst, ride it slowly in first gear up the hill)

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Marxalot posted:

I didn't know I had a nail until I tried riding the bike to work this morning. Moving a DRZ shouldn't feel like moving a truck :v:

Pretty sure I got the nail about 5mi up the road where someone put me into the shoulder by completely merging into me in a highway interchange last night.

The bane of my existence is the contractor's truck. I swear I drove behind trucks in Raleigh that would hit a bump and have nails and bolts fall out of the various holes in the bed. I caught a bolt(!) in the rear tire right after I moved there, replaced the tire, then caught a screw on my way out. Never, ever ride near new construction. :(

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Slide Hammer posted:

Then finding out you've pinched the tube and need to push it up the hill into the back of a truck anyway.

(Psst, ride it slowly in first gear up the hill)
either

or

or if you're fancy like me

I've changed a few hundred tires, maybe a third of them were tubes, and only ever pinched one tube.

Also, waterbottles make great rim-savers

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Ripoff posted:

The bane of my existence is the contractor's truck. I swear I drove behind trucks in Raleigh that would hit a bump and have nails and bolts fall out of the various holes in the bed. I caught a bolt(!) in the rear tire right after I moved there, replaced the tire, then caught a screw on my way out. Never, ever ride near new construction. :(

Are you in Raleigh now then? We should ride again after I get my new bike

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

either

or

or if you're fancy like me

I've changed a few hundred tires, maybe a third of them were tubes, and only ever pinched one tube.

Also, waterbottles make great rim-savers

How does the no-mar compare to baby powder?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

builds character posted:

How does the no-mar compare to baby powder?

No-Mar is the mother of all tire lubes. It goes on super thin, spreads easily, is super slick, and evaporates completely.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

cruiser tires take a lot of loving CO2.

I guess. When we patched up the Road King near Santa Rosa it took 2 cans.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

No-Mar is the mother of all tire lubes. It goes on super thin, spreads easily, is super slick, and evaporates completely.

The best part is you can dilute it in hot water dump it in a spray bottle, and spray it on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Z3n posted:

The best part is you can dilute it in hot water dump it in a spray bottle, and spray it on.

Well yeah but that's a bit harder to do when you're on the road. I just fill up a small pill-bottle with the stuff and keep it in my tool bag.

The spray bottle is loving tits for having around the shop though.
Cruiser tires don't stand a chance.