Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrBadidea
Apr 1, 2009

grimcreaper posted:

Well. looks like i need to do me some researchment stuff on this. Any articles you can link? Quick JFGI didnt bring anything up for me, but im bad at google.

There's a bunch of poo poo linked through this reddit thread that touches on some of it, but I'm working with a couple of people that have been hosed over by him in the past so I've heard about other poo poo over the last couple of months too. Everybody I know that has dealt with him directly thinks he's a massive shitheel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Viscous Soda posted:

I'm glad you made this effort post G0RF, because if nothing else it got me to watch Jeffrey's Icky Squishy video.
Hearing him talk about getting photocopied but incomplete Atari dev manuals and hacking together his own games, his experiences starting businesses with friends, dealing with possible VCs-- I just got madder and madder about him getting sniped at by the Sperg Police. He's lived an interesting life and seems very much the ProtoGamer. If for no reasons beyond his experience, he deserves a little drat respect.

He showed as much to a bunch of whiny, thin-skinned cultist losers and even to a crappy mess of a game for sale right now-- but the spergs simply lacked the class to see it.

I do hope CIG gets wind of it and reaches out and does something nice. Perhaps I delude myself but surely at least a few people there will see what's happened and realize they could do something nice for the guy. Even if they have to go around Sandi's back to pull it off!

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

G0RF posted:

Hearing him talk about getting photocopied but incomplete Atari dev manuals and hacking together his own games, his experiences starting businesses with friends, dealing with possible VCs-- I just got madder and madder about him getting sniped at by the Sperg Police. He's lived an interesting life and seems very much the ProtoGamer. If for no reasons beyond his experience, he deserves a little drat respect.

He showed as much to a bunch of whiny, thin-skinned cultist losers and even to a crappy mess of a game for sale right now-- but the spergs simply lacked the class to see it.

I do hope CIG gets wind of it and reaches out and does something nice. Perhaps I delude myself but surely at least a few people there will see what's happened and realize they could do something nice for the guy. Even if they have to go around Sandi's back to pull it off!

it looks like some of the youtube comments have turned around and been rather lovely to him (i suspect largely thanks to posters in this thread and therefore your original post), so there's that minor consolation. i spent about an hour today listening to his dungeons and dragons youtube series; they're cool, he seems to have a good understanding of some roleplay mechanics that are cumbersome and some that are great. his voice is also very relaxing; kind of like a videogamer's bob ross.

mostly though, i just don't understand why anybody would think making GBS threads on this guy is a good thing to do because he doesn't like star citizen. i mean, he's awesome! i sincerely hope i'm still this passionate about games when i'm his age, and playing them and thinking about them as much.

god drat i hate the SC community

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector
Someone asked if I had heard of Star Citizen today. I told him to watch the video of Chris playing his own game. Hopefully I've done him a favor.

:yarg:

celewign
Jul 11, 2015

just get us in the playoffs

Codependent Poster posted:

That blonde girl who is in there for like 4 seconds shows better acting talent than Sandi does in over a minute.

thats pretty rough. she's not very good.

shes hot though, give her that.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Phi230 posted:

At this point in time, no, Sandi is not attractive to me personally. She looks like a soccer mom. Maybe like 20 years ago, yea she was hot but not now.

TOO skinny.

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

You take the blue paarp - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red paarp - you stay in pre-alpha, and I show you how deep the sperg wallet goes.

im glad to know whether or not people in the thread think sandi is pretty

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Samizdata posted:

TOO skinny.

she need to relax with that big rear end forehead she has and grow some bangs or some poo poo lmao

in what way does she think she can become a legit actress again? no talent, faded looks, she old (hollywood hates older women) and is probably poo poo listed just by being associated with chris roberts.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Romes128 posted:

she need to relax with that big rear end forehead she has and grow some bangs or some poo poo lmao

in what way does she think she can become a legit actress again? no talent, faded looks, she old (hollywood hates older women) and is probably poo poo listed just by being associated with chris roberts.

Shes got money. Backer money. And shes not afraid to use it.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Happy Sisyphus posted:

im glad to know whether or not people in the thread think sandi is pretty

ben is fat, sandi is the definition of average looking older woman, and chris is mildy retarted

that's my opinion and im glad to know you're glad to know it

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

grimcreaper posted:

Shes got money. Backer money. And shes not afraid to use it.

shhhhh you're not supposed to tell that sandi is using backer money for her own personal projects.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

"You don't like me? Well I never liked you anyway!" -goons unironically

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

boviscopophobic posted:

All this backer dissent is fun, but CIG has now shown that the only thing that can affect it is money. I'm interested to see how the next major ship sale/cash grab goes.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Ryan Davis was better at acting than Sandi despite not being an actor. RIP.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
A Dorkly video on the fate of failed Kickstarter games from April, 2015.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJQC0va2LX8

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
picked this post out from a ways back as I was catching up with the thread:

peter gabriel posted:

And I do agree about not getting swollen heads, but as a guy who sees funny stuff being made and makes poo poo as well, I notice it. On a personal note I see one of my vids get hits then a subscriber joins from Cryengine (or an affiliate, not sure) or similar and lo and behold CIG come up with a sort of, kind of response, and well, there is a pattern to it.
I may notice this because I am making daft vids, or it may be coincidence, I am not sure and don't really care either way as long as fun is had.
I've really noticed though their kind of, sort of shots back at people like us what with the sudden 'Versebusters' bullshit and 'Which Glitch' - it feels like they are toothlessly trying to hit back, now the thing that makes this funny to me is that like a couple of hundred people 'get it' and the other thousands are just thinking 'wtf is this poo poo why are they laughing at the glitches?'

It's really badly aimed and loving hilarious to me but I do believe it's a thing that is happening for sure.

You are completely right, not just having apophenia or whatever because you make videos and feel noticed. They definitely respond and change up what they show on AtV & other marketing videos in a weird attempt to invalidate criticism. They've been doing it for a long time now.

I first noticed it a while back, because at the time I was pounding really hard on the line that game dev does not look like this, they are working backwards. You don't make the assets and details first then try to construct some kind of awful framework around it. Real game dev starts with greyboxing all that poo poo so you can explore whether the big will work first. This is a potemkin village made to sell jpegs and give the illusion of rapid progress. (Plenty of other people were saying stuff like this, I don't claim any special insight here.)

What happened six months later? Greybox became the new favorite word on AtV and early work in progress modeling poo poo was the hot thing to show off in excruciatingly long segments. I found it really weird, it felt kinda creepy to post things and have these people update their lies seemingly based on that. Anyways that made me kinda check out on the whole SC thing for a while because if they are gonna be straight up deceitful and try to cover any holes in their story it was pointless to even try arguing on the internet about it. Didn't pay attention again until derek smart (pbuh) showed up to blow the roof off the comedy ceiling.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Samizdata posted:

A Dorkly video on the fate of failed Kickstarter games from April, 2015.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJQC0va2LX8

loving on point. Ending scene is incredible.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
EVEN IN DEATH I STILL POST.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Seriously someone screenshot that because LOL CIG.

Ezekeel
Nov 18, 2015

Klyith posted:

picked this post out from a ways back as I was catching up with the thread:

You are completely right, not just having apophenia or whatever because you make videos and feel noticed. They definitely respond and change up what they show on AtV & other marketing videos in a weird attempt to invalidate criticism. They've been doing it for a long time now.

I first noticed it a while back, because at the time I was pounding really hard on the line that game dev does not look like this, they are working backwards. You don't make the assets and details first then try to construct some kind of awful framework around it. Real game dev starts with greyboxing all that poo poo so you can explore whether the big will work first. This is a potemkin village made to sell jpegs and give the illusion of rapid progress. (Plenty of other people were saying stuff like this, I don't claim any special insight here.)

What happened six months later? Greybox became the new favorite word on AtV and early work in progress modeling poo poo was the hot thing to show off in excruciatingly long segments. I found it really weird, it felt kinda creepy to post things and have these people update their lies seemingly based on that. Anyways that made me kinda check out on the whole SC thing for a while because if they are gonna be straight up deceitful and try to cover any holes in their story it was pointless to even try arguing on the internet about it. Didn't pay attention again until derek smart (pbuh) showed up to blow the roof off the comedy ceiling.

So you are saying Goons control all of CIG's decisions about development and marketing. I always knew. Kinda ironic that the best way to get heard by CIG and actually change anything is posting here on these forums.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Stop committing posting fraud?!?!

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Last time you put out a call for profile comments, I left a remark implying that CIG would be on the wrong side of history. You remove it, or was that CIG?

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
if the :qq: posting earlier wasn't enough enough bullshit for you, here is Bensday with Batgirl: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2WjK3wuC60

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Ezekeel posted:

So you are saying Goons control all of CIG's decisions about development and marketing. I always knew. Kinda ironic that the best way to get heard by CIG and actually change anything is posting here on these forums.

I'd imagine you need to be a more prolific poster. I mean they couldn't be reading all the white noise, could they?

Do you think someone at CIG has to ponder :eonwe:'s words?

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

A Neurotic Jew posted:

if the :qq: posting earlier wasn't enough enough bullshit for you, here is Bensday with Batgirl: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2WjK3wuC60

Skimmed it, all the usual 'I can't comment on that' or 'we don't know'

The only interesting part is Batgirl will be interviewing Sandi tomorrow, so that should be good for a few gifs

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

A Neurotic Jew posted:

Does Ben just have like 3 shirts

That blue checkered shirt is starting to trigger me

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

CIG, if you're reading this, the only way to survive is to release the financials. Whatever's in there, you'll be in control of the conversation once you're proactive in providing information. You're on the backfoot now, you really have to take control. If it's bad, Chris and Sandi can get on with their mocap dreams and Ben can get counseling. Do what you have to do.

Ezekeel
Nov 18, 2015

Matlock Birthmark posted:

I'd imagine you need to be a more prolific poster. I mean they couldn't be reading all the white noise, could they?

Do you think someone at CIG has to ponder :eonwe:'s words?

There is an entire thinktank within CIG staffed with former NSA and CIA experts with the sole task of going trough all of :eonwe:'s post in this thread, analyse them and report the findings to Sandi. They are broken men.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Ezekeel posted:

There is an entire thinktank within CIG staffed with former NSA and CIA experts with the sole task of going trough all of :eonwe:'s post in this thread, analyse them and report the findings to Sandi. They are broken men.

They should have just hired the same team of FBI agents that investigated the lyrics of "Louie Louie."

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
I think something is wrong with their forums, my perma-deleted account is back?

Not good.

Edit : no, it's still deleted but I can sign in? weirdness.

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD
Yo Derek, what's your take on that tech demo they debuted with the guy flying a ship from space to quantum travel to aero flight over a planet? How much of it is BS and how much is capable of being transplanted into the PU?

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Thanks for your dedicated service, Prime Commando. o9

Full Burn is literally the worst. I can't imagine a better metaphor for Star Citizen.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Romes128 posted:

Does Ben just have like 3 shirts

That blue checkered shirt is starting to trigger me

To be fair, he probably has to get all his clothes custom made. And then remade when he outgrows his old clothes...

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

peter gabriel posted:

Can I make a video using your screenshot? I'd like people to know about this bullshit too

Absolutely mate, all I can do is make noise about it so you're welcome to help.

Also good morning thread.

HKS
Jan 31, 2005

Napoleon Bonaparty posted:

Yo Derek, what's your take on that tech demo they debuted with the guy flying a ship from space to quantum travel to aero flight over a planet? How much of it is BS and how much is capable of being transplanted into the PU?

lol

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

I'm not Derek but considering how things have gone so far if they could actually do that and implement it they'd have probably already haphazardly tried to stuff it into their Non-Persistent Time-Out simulator..

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD
I figure there is some level of bullshit, or it's designed so separately these completely different chunks of code are totally incompatible, but reddit keeps suggesting I'm not a game designer, so I'm asking the one which has been conveniently placed in front of me.

Also Derek, as a frequent maker of stuff, I can say critics and creators are really not that far apart. If I'm not critical of my work, it'll suck. If people aren't critical of what I do, what I make won't be worth having.

Isn't that basically the Crobberts problem? Isn't that why we hate Lesnick and Sandi and all the other shitheads the CIG Marketing team puts in front of us? You can't seriously lead the CIG criticism charge and also not be willing to take criticism on your own game. LOD's got its problems. No hate, you do what you love, but there's usually good reasons why unpopular things are unpopular.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

moonraker posted:

The moment we where introduced to the two lead designers for Scam Citizen another nail in the coffin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HKS
Jan 31, 2005

I figure there is some level of bullshit, or it's designed so separately these completely different chunks of code are totally incompatible, but reddit keeps suggesting I'm not a game designer, so I'm asking the one which has been conveniently placed in front of me.

Also Derek, as a frequent maker of stuff, I can say critics and creators are really not that far apart. If I'm not critical of my work, it'll suck. If people aren't critical of what I do, what I make won't be worth having.

Isn't that basically the Crobberts problem? Isn't that why we hate Lesnick and Sandi and all the other shitheads the CIG Marketing team puts in front of us? You can't seriously lead the CIG criticism charge and also not be willing to take criticism on your own game. LOD's got its problems. No hate, you do what you love, but there's usually good reasons why unpopular things are unpopular.

Please read the thread, he not only said it was complete bs when the trailer was first released he explained why technically.

• Locked thread