Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Picnic Princess posted:

So how about that new "liking" system on Facebook, eh?

The little emoticons remind me of a protracted version of Meow Meow Beanz. They're so, I don't know. Theatrical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

BJPaskoff posted:

Someone tell me why there's been a massive surge in simple PEMDAS (don't be pedantic about the acronyms) math questions popping up on my Facebook feed.

[img-timeline]

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Picnic Princess posted:

So how about that new "liking" system on Facebook, eh?

The new facebook emoji reactions will further the dissolution of all emotion in our sterile interactions. Love becomes a pictogram. This is how it starts. :)

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

It does answer that old canard about whether "liking" someone's request for prayers over Mr. Mitten's feline lukemia is meant as a show of support, or that they literally like the fact a cat is gravely ill.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous
My MIL discovered emojis last year, so now everything my husband posts gets a like and a cartoon smiley. This can only end badly.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

I just want my loving "dislike" button. Maybe even a "hate" button.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Scathach posted:

It amuses me that you would like a dislike button.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I dislike that there is only a like button.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Scathach posted:

Well, there's "sad" and "angry" now. :shrug:

gaydad
Mar 23, 2015

This guy has other weird posts on his Facebook. He usually shares pictures from that popular Bernie Sanders Dank Meme page and then from Mr. Conservative. It's really a big contrast.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

gaydad posted:

This guy has other weird posts on his Facebook. He usually shares pictures from that popular Bernie Sanders Dank Meme page and then from Mr. Conservative. It's really a big contrast.

As far as it goes for loss.jpg's this is the one where I'm quite comfortable saying that it was for the best that the last panel was a write off.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

hyperhazard posted:

My MIL discovered emojis last year, so now everything my husband posts gets a like and a cartoon smiley. This can only end badly.

My dad just discovered you can make phonecalls through chat!

:downs:

gaydad posted:

Ah, this comic. Trans people are fake but if you don't take the personal testimony of an evangelical Christian you're a hypocrite! Somehow!

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

cash crab posted:

Ah, this comic. Trans people are fake but if you don't take the personal testimony of an evangelical Christian you're a hypocrite! Somehow!

This kind of breaks down by panel 2; as I recall the reaction to Rachel Dolezal was almost universal mockery.

Just as Jesuslovers should be, naturally. :smug:

gaydad
Mar 23, 2015

Otisburg posted:

This kind of breaks down by panel 2; as I recall the reaction to Rachel Dolezal was almost universal mockery.

Just as Jesuslovers should be, naturally. :smug:

The best part is that it's so exaggerated. Especially the African American panel when the whole Rachel Dolezal scandal. Which is like errrr.... no people did not react like that.
All real true Americans are Christians in this heathen secular society! :argh:

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

gaydad posted:

The best part is that it's so exaggerated. Especially the African American panel when the whole Rachel Dolezal scandal. Which is like errrr.... no people did not react like that.
All real true Americans are Christians in this heathen secular society! :argh:

One nation under God*

*ignores the fact the under god part was added in the 70's

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

gaydad posted:

Adam4D is a dickbag full of dicks and that's all I have to say about this.

gaydad
Mar 23, 2015

I did a bit of digging from the same dude and man, did I struck gold.
I messed up the color boxes, but the odd numbered comments are his mom's and his are the even numbered.
Pretty :stare: conversation. Sets off my Oedipus complex alarm a bit.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

gaydad posted:

I messed up the color boxes, but the odd numbered comments are his mom's and his are the even numbered.

This seems pretty innocuous why is it ... he's dating his mother????

gaydad
Mar 23, 2015

Birb Katter posted:

This seems pretty innocuous why is it ... he's dating his mother????

It's an odd relationship. He went off to college barely and his mom keeps posting weird stuff in his wall like"I miss you baby! Only 2 more weeks till break ❤️" or "You've grown so much baby, you're the most smartest man ever!" It's pretty :whoptc:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I looked at the screen cap and was like "so it's one of the million couples that's annoyingly saccharine on FB, that hardly rises to the level of IoSM, it's just the digital equivalent of public necking" then I read the explanation and :catstare:

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

gaydad posted:

It's an odd relationship. He went off to college barely and his mom keeps posting weird stuff in his wall like"I miss you baby! Only 2 more weeks till break ❤️" or "You've grown so much baby, you're the most smartest man ever!" It's pretty :whoptc:

There is having a close relationship with your parents and then there is having a 'close relationship' with your parents. Is he an only child?

gaydad
Mar 23, 2015

Birb Katter posted:

There is having a close relationship with your parents and then there is having a 'close relationship' with your parents. Is he an only child?

Nah, he has two younger siblings. But his parents divorced like over 2 yrs. It is pretty creepy in the sense that her need of male attention is from her oldest son :gonk:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

gaydad posted:

Nah, he has two younger siblings. But his parents divorced like over 2 yrs. It is pretty creepy in the sense that her need of male attention is from her oldest son :gonk:

What's his relationship with his father like?

gaydad
Mar 23, 2015

Otisburg posted:

What's his relationship with his father like?

It looks normal for the most part. He occasionally puts the "love you son. Do good in school." type of comments. Overall, I just think his mom is doing it out of spite since the dad is already engaged with another woman and right after the divorce as well. So I'm guessing it was infidelity :(

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

gaydad posted:

It looks normal for the most part. He occasionally puts the "love you son. Do good in school." type of comments. Overall, I just think his mom is doing it out of spite since the dad is already engaged with another woman and right after the divorce as well. So I'm guessing it was infidelity :(

Usually I don't take the side of cheaters and two wrongs don't make a right, but I mean if he was being cuckolded by his own son, you can at least understand.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

gaydad posted:

It looked like a saccharine couple being all :siren:MY BOYFRIEND:siren: and :siren:MY GIRLFRIEND:siren: until the final comment made me go "wait, what". Reading the explanation is just :dogbutton:.

I'm sure there's a better explanation than Oedipus situation but there's nothing else I can really go to from that.

TheRecogScene
Aug 22, 2010

I'm gonna miss you when you're gone.

Intoluene posted:

It looked like a saccharine couple being all :siren:MY BOYFRIEND:siren: and :siren:MY GIRLFRIEND:siren: until the final comment made me go "wait, what". Reading the explanation is just :dogbutton:.

I'm sure there's a better explanation than Oedipus situation but there's nothing else I can really go to from that.

One of my friends went to high school with a girl who will post on Facebook about "brother dates." Apparently she and her brother would go out together and they would kiss each other and stuff, but they wouldn't treat it like they were dating, they would make it just be normal behavior for two Christian teenagers who truly care about their family. Their parents are probably overprotective of the kids' sexuality and so they encourage this kind of behavior because they feel more in control of it. It blows my mind though.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

Lottery of Babylon posted:

The new facebook emoji reactions will further the dissolution of all emotion in our sterile interactions. Love becomes a pictogram. This is how it starts. :)

A colleague at my partner's place of work is pushing for the grades to be presented to the students as Emojis.

He works at a University.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help

theironjef posted:

perched precariously atop a thick mantle of morons
I just want to show my appreciation for this sublime use of the English language

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Rondette posted:

A colleague at my partner's place of work is pushing for the grades to be presented to the students as Emojis.

He works at a University.
I got a smiley face for my paper, you?

I got a poop emoji. :saddowns:

Doubtful Guest
Jun 23, 2008

Meanwhile, Conradin made himself another piece of toazzzzzzt.
He can use this as a set text:

scorpiobean
Dec 22, 2004

I'll have one sugar coma drink, please.

Elderbean posted:

Responded to a image a friend posted about GMOs. He's a pretty reasonable dude, but one of his friends immediately started making GBS threads down my throat and accusing me of supporting MONSANTO.

I know it's probably hopeless, but is there a good set of articles about GMOs to use against these people?

It isn't hopeless! If you like, I can come back to this and respond more thoroughly when it's not currently 5:45am for me, especially because red there is full of poo poo, but in the meantime, here are a few resources where you can find some articles you're looking for.

The tl;dr is that many arguments against GM crops/for GM labeling also apply to non-GM crops, including those outlined in your post up there!

Here are some other resources:

Frankenfood Facts written by an actual career geneticist

Genetic Literacy Project

And there's some pretty great people/groups on Facebook. Look for Kavin Senpathy, SciBabe, We Love GMOs and Vaccines, Biochica (who writes Frankenfood Facts) to name a few.

scorpiobean has a new favorite as of 12:15 on Feb 25, 2016

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Doubtful Guest posted:

He can use this as a set text:

These books are dumb but amusing, because it feels like parody/an abridged series. Hopefully, their readers realize that.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

scorpiobean posted:

It isn't hopeless! If you like, I can come back to this and respond more thoroughly when it's not currently 5:45am for me, especially because red there is full of poo poo, but in the meantime, here are a few resources where you can find some articles you're looking for.

The tl;dr is that many arguments against GM crops/for GM labeling also apply to non-GM crops, including those outlined in your post up there!

Here are some other resources:

Frankenfood Facts written by an actual career geneticist

Genetic Literacy Project

And there's some pretty great people/groups on Facebook. Look for Kavin Senpathy, SciBabe, We Love GMOs and Vaccines, Biochica (who writes Frankenfood Facts) to name a few.

I spent a bit of effort trying to find the IOSM here but I suppose it's "Trying to argue with people on Facebook"

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

gaydad posted:

I did laugh at "good for meow".

TheRecogScene
Aug 22, 2010

I'm gonna miss you when you're gone.

Takoluka posted:

These books are dumb but amusing, because it feels like parody/an abridged series. Hopefully, their readers realize that.

Agreed, they remind me of a book I have of classic literature retold on Facebook timelines.

That's not how they're being marketed, however. Or it is, but through a layer of faux-ironic "Shakespeare is LAME right? Huh-ha!"

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

gaydad posted:

Panel 1. Ok.
Panel 2. Nope, I'm pretty sure people would find that hideously offensive.
Panel 3. They're called furies and are widely ridiculed.
Panel 4. Christian bubble should read 'God hates fags'. Audience should be congratulating him.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

EvilGenius posted:

Panel 3. They're called furies and are widely ridiculed.

quote:

In Greek mythology the Erinyes (/ɪˈrɪniˌiːz/; sing. Erinys /ɪˈrɪnɪs/;[1] Greek: Ἐρῑνύες [ῠ], pl. of Ἐρῑνύς [ῡ], Erinys),[2][3][4][n 1] also known as Furies, were female chthonic deities of vengeance; they were sometimes referred to as "infernal goddesses" (χθόνιαι θεαί).\

Don't you dare ridicule the furies.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The third panel reminds me more of Otherkin, who are rightly mocked more than even furries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Public page, you know the drill.

I think this guy needs a snack and a nap.