Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Wait, didn't the Australian real estate sector already blow up like a year ago when China dropped imports? Or are we talking about the actual cities now and not the Oz versions of Fort McMurray.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Tigntink posted:

Went to a fancy art school. They told us day one that only 5% of artists over all ever live off their art earnings. Was an actual good art school and most of my class mates are making a living off their art. One of them even made it on a decently popular TV show recently! A couple are showing at major museums and one has her art on wine bottles. Really good working artist teachers who taught us new skills to apply. Class size - only like 8 people graduated from my painting program and like 12 from my traditional printing program. Every one of us was required to take a dual major for maximum learning.

Was hellishly expensive but i'm almost paid off only 6 years after graduation.

Welp pack it in folks, Tigntink played Anecdote which trumps Generalisation. Game's over.

E: oh poo poo, it was Anecdote+Humblebrag. FATALITY

Weatherman fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Feb 25, 2016

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

The real question about the real estate bubble is: how can an enterprising young Australian like myself profit from this approaching disaster? Develop some sort of catchment device for all the baby boomer tears?

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

Hocus Pocus posted:

The real question about the real estate bubble is: how can an enterprising young Australian like myself profit from this approaching disaster? Develop some sort of catchment device for all the baby boomer tears?

If you do it well, you can have Michael Lewis write a book about you and Adam McKay make a movie about you. Or, whomever the Australian versions of those two guys are.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
There's definitely a bubble, but it's not as if there's going to be a crash any time soon. (Don't own a house, have a vested interest in prices dropping).

Employment is strong, Australians on a whole are ahead of their mortgages by something like two years, interest rates are low.

I sincerely doubt you're going to see a hard landing.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Hocus Pocus posted:

As a renter, I'll just quote Lenin and say "The worse the better."

EDIT: Unrelated, but farewell Dick Smith's Electronics! At least your (former) executives got their bonuses.

Sic Semper Goon fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Feb 25, 2016

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Weatherman posted:

Welp pack it in folks, Tigntink played Anecdote which trumps Generalisation. Game's over.

E: oh poo poo, it was Anecdote+Humblebrag. FATALITY

Wasn't really intended that way. More like : There are good art schools out there that don't completely deceive the incoming students.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

KingSlime posted:

I can understand why very easily, and you touched upon it. Bright-eyed naive high school graduates or people looking to better their lives + deceptive and aggressive marketing materials make for a bad, and possibly exploitative, combination.

Maybe the victims are to blame for the lack of research, maybe the schools shouldn't be so predatory, or maybe the solution is somewhere in the middle? I don't know but something is definitely not right.

No it's definitely the former. I racked up 45k in debt before saying fuckit and leaving for an offered job. I even did the GWM method and did my freshman year at a local college with a full scholarship (where I should have stayed, but hindsight is 20/20) to get the fundamentals out of the way.

The school outright lied about job placement rates, expected pay for graduates, and spent a much larger amount of our fees on impressive tech and buildings than they did finding and maintaining competent teaching staff.

If somehow magically I could have known at 18 what I know now at 34 with 13 years of working in games, yes I would know it was a rip off, but that's a high standard to expect from an 18 year old.

*edit* and as someone who has since taught or befriended teachers at these type of schools, it's nearly impossible to fail a student, because then the parents would stop cosigning those sweet tuition loans. It's objectively a case of predatory schools with the slightest contribution of students who could maybe do a bit more introspection or research before deciding on that as their area of study.

poopinmymouth fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Feb 25, 2016

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Hocus Pocus posted:

This is how I profit from it, reading these articles that pop up at least 10 times a year

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/re...22acfb0eb21e0aa
http://www.news.com.au/finance/real...99ef07ee541f8dc

Basically people who bought an investment property, lucked out with it increasing value dramatically then used the equity that appeared overnight as security against another loan for another investment that increased in value and then used the equity that appeared overnight as security on another loan....

You get the idea.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

How do they pay all of those concurrent mortgages, though? Do they just keep borrowing against new equity? What happens if prices dip?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Not a Children posted:

What happens if prices dip?

what indeed

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
You can bet against housing by shorting reits. (or even just selling if they're something you hold). No idea what fees are incurred by shorting for a person at home, but those will definitely affect what time horizon you have to make a prediction for.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Not a Children posted:

How do they pay all of those concurrent mortgages, though? Do they just keep borrowing against new equity? What happens if prices dip?

BWM gold happens.

So say you have an Australian with 5 x $1m houses. He has 20% equity with his hard saved $1m invested in the properties and $4m worth of mortgages secured against the properties. He thinking things are sweet because the gains he can get. He's paying $13,000 per month in interest and manages to collect $10,000 per month in rent. The difference is a $3000 write off of which the tax man sends back the equivalent of $1200/month.

Now the bubble bursts with prices going down 10% losing $500k in equity. The banks don't get bothered as the interest keeps getting paid. The collapse gets worse with prices dropping 20% so he effectively has no equity, it's not a problem except two tenants lose their jobs and can't pay rent. Now he can't afford to pay $7000 per month in interest. The bank starts charging large penalty fees for missing payments. The interest charged on the unpaid interest is at 23% APR.

This can go on for months or a year or more until the bank is forced to foreclose and realise their loss selling into a low price market.

Even if prices only dropped 10% the bank will get nervous about not having 20% equity and might start charging a higher interest rate based on less than 20% equity.

Devian666 fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Feb 25, 2016

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

You can bet against housing by shorting reits. (or even just selling if they're something you hold). No idea what fees are incurred by shorting for a person at home, but those will definitely affect what time horizon you have to make a prediction for.

Best bet is probably just to save a lot so when it all comes crashing down you can lowball someone who just got divorced, had a spouse die or needs to move.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Best bet is probably just to save a lot so when it all comes crashing down you can lowball someone who just got divorced, had a spouse die or needs to move.

Why not all three.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
I still don't see a scenario that triggers a hard landing? It's not an inevitability.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
I dunno, 2008 happened and all. That alone should give you some pause. It's not an inevitability? Sure, but self fullfilling panics, collapse in derivatives and governments reacting with austerity happens.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
I mean apart from the two situations and markets being totally different then sure.

Australian default rates are extremely, extremely low. On the whole Australian home owners are two years ahead on their mortgages. Employment is strong.

I have seen no cogent analysis beyond "oh it could happen!!!"

Of course. But how?

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

CelestialScribe posted:

I mean apart from the two situations and markets being totally different then sure.

Australian default rates are extremely, extremely low. On the whole Australian home owners are two years ahead on their mortgages. Employment is strong.

Of course. But how?
If depressions, bubbles, and crashes were predictable, they wouldn't happen. Nobody knows why or how the next crash will happen. But there will be another one eventually.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Renegret posted:

Yeah I bet back in your day they still used tokens, baby boomer

From a few pages back, but my city is old school and still uses tokens (and it's annoying as gently caress).

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.
And today in 'It Came From Reddit' - Boyfriend of two years is in over $350,000.00 debt, maxed out five credit card, and has -$500.00 in his bank account...

quote:

I've been with my boyfriend for two years now. He just bought a foreclosure to flip in a nice neighborhood. It's going to be worth a lot more than he bought it for when he's done, but plans on living in it for about five years. He has over $100,000.00 to pay in student loans, seven maxed out credit cards, and the debts go on. His car was provided by his parents and he has a regular desk job that makes about $45,000 a year. I am 25 and he's 27.

When we first met, he had his life together and money in his account. I'm NOT dating him for the money. I have a great job and bring in about $87,000 a year with no credit cards, or no student loans (scholarship). I budget my money and save everything after bills. I have about $80,000 in my savings and do not want to touch that other than investing.

Lately, he's been asking me to pay for things and he'll "pay me back." I ended up putting an entire new heating and air system in the flipped house, I've been buying all his groceries, whenever we go out, I front the bill, we went on a vacation that was planned a year ago and I had to pay for the entire trip because he "left his wallet at home"...He told me he was going to take me out for my birthday at a wine bar and I was so excited. He racked the bill up to $165.00 and handed me the check. Happy birthday to me, right?

I'm starting to feel "used" and almost like the man in the relationship. To be honest, he's just not nice anymore and expects way to much from me. I feel like I've invested so much money and time into our relationship. Somedays I feel like he's going to just go back to how he used to be, when he was nice, and enjoyed doing the little things with me. I don't like feeling used and he's pushed a lot of weird religion questions on me lately. He can't even do little things that I like such as going for a walk or watching a movie. I'm huge into fitness and love to run, but he'd rather drink beer and order pizza. It's all about him now...and what he can get from me.

Do you think I'm wasting my time with him. Should I call it quits and move on with my life? or stay with him but stop paying for stuff and focus more on my life? I know I'll see zero of the money I've invested in him, but I'm not sure if it's worth it. I'm really just confused as to what to do. All of my friends see him treat me this way think I'm wasting my time and can do a lot better. I could go on all day about the details, but I'm trying to keep it short.

What do you guys think? I'd like to get some outside opinions.

TL;DR; boyfriend is in severe debt and I think he's using me for money. Should I stay or should I go?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

quote:

almost like the man in the relationship

:rolleye:

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

I raised an eyebrow at that. A bunch of people in the thread have already honed in on that comment, haha.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

She already knows what the answer is but wants to hear it from someone else :sever:

CombatInformatiker
Apr 11, 2012

Ugh, this reads like someone made sure to check every single bad-with-money-boyfriend cliché from a list :rolleyes: No way this is real. And the "I'm really confused what should I do you guys" at the end... yeah, no.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Would, "I almost feel like the man in the relationship, historically speaking" work better?

A lot of women still want the man to be the financial rock in a relationship. My wife makes way more than me, but somehow I'm the person who steers the financial barge.

CombatInformatiker posted:

Ugh, this reads like someone made sure to check every single bad-with-money-boyfriend cliché from a list :rolleyes: No way this is real. And the "I'm really confused what should I do you guys" at the end... yeah, no.

It could be real. It sounds like he was normal when they met. If it sounds dubious just replace 'house-flipping' with 'heroin' and it becomes even more believable.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

Krispy Kareem posted:

Would, "I almost feel like the man in the relationship, historically speaking" work better?

A lot of women still want the man to be the financial rock in a relationship. My wife makes way more than me, but somehow I'm the person who steers the financial barge.

It could be real. It sounds like he was normal when they met. If it sounds dubious just replace 'house-flipping' with 'heroin' and it becomes even more believable.

At least you don't have to put a new heating system in heroin before you flip it for a tidy profit.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
We still doing humble brag nominations?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3763545&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=2#post456711610

johnny sack posted:

I paid $20k for pre-school/daycare for my kids last year. That's as much as college tuition/room at most places. I haven't thought anything like that. I am thankful that your daughter has not started making GBS threads herself to death.

I hope that in 12-15 more years I don't start thinking that way.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

That's not humblebrag, that's being an idiot who can't tell that someone is telling a joke.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

CelestialScribe posted:

Of course. But how?

In every crash no one can identify the exact event that started it. It's likely a number of bad events that have a financial cascade of defaults from people in over leveraged positions. When enough happen that prices start dropping in a market and that triggers more selling the situation escalates.

So there is a property bubble in New Zealand. In the past, and currently, Traditionally the bubbles are managed so at worst the prices drop a little or stay flat for years until reality catches up with the prices. So a crash won't necessarily happen, but that doesn't mean that it can't.

Warning signs to look for in a crash.

- People think a crash can't happen so they pour more money into the market. The biggest warning sign is when journalists start talking about "new economics".
- The reason people pour money into the market because they think prices will go up forever
- Too much money is borrowed so people have over leveraged positions so any price drop has a devastating effect and forces them to sell
- People start investing in markets who know nothing about the market (or worse illiterate people were investing in the Chinese stock market)

It boils down to people putting everything on the line for what is effectively a bet. Some get lucky and do well and others put their bet on right before a crash happens and lose everything.

When there are warning signs of a bubble be careful when dealing with that market.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
A crash wont happen without a liquidity shock. People can be massively leveraged without a problem as long as rates stay low. So either there needs to be a reduction in their incomes (recession, health problems, etc) or an increase in interest rates (macroeconomics).

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I really don't understand why people can't get over the cultural stigma of bankruptcy and just declare it in this situation. It's the only logical choice, even it doesn't discharge the student loans.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Monaghan posted:

I really don't understand why people can't get over the cultural stigma of bankruptcy and just declare it in this situation. It's the only logical choice, even it doesn't discharge the student loans.

This guy is completely convinced he's a financial wizard. He won't declare bankruptcy until he realises he's drowning and he's alienated everyone he could mooch off.

I Like Jell-O
May 19, 2004
I really do.
Leverage in investing has the same effect whether you're leveraged on stocks or real estate: it magnifies gains, and magnifies losses by a roughly equivalent amount. There is nothing special about investment property or mortgages that changes that simple fact. The problem with using the equity in one house to leverage yourself further by buying a mortgage on additional houses is that it leaves you with no "cushion" to absorb any kind of a loss, which remember is magnified by the leverage.

It's particularly BWM because people tend to buy similar properties in a close geographical area, exposing themselves to massive amounts of correlated risk. In other words, if one property goes down in value, it's very VERY likely that all the other properties will drop at the same time, usually causing financial ruin. It's the opposite of diversification, it's magnification of risk.

Leverage is a dangerous thing, and needs to be respected no matter what form it takes.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

I Like Jell-O posted:

Leverage in investing has the same effect whether you're leveraged on stocks or real estate: it magnifies gains, and magnifies losses by a roughly equivalent amount. There is nothing special about investment property or mortgages that changes that simple fact. The problem with using the equity in one house to leverage yourself further by buying a mortgage on additional houses is that it leaves you with no "cushion" to absorb any kind of a loss, which remember is magnified by the leverage.

It's particularly BWM because people tend to buy similar properties in a close geographical area, exposing themselves to massive amounts of correlated risk. In other words, if one property goes down in value, it's very VERY likely that all the other properties will drop at the same time, usually causing financial ruin. It's the opposite of diversification, it's magnification of risk.

Leverage is a dangerous thing, and needs to be respected no matter what form it takes.

/

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Can't you just declare bankruptcy if there's a crash though? That seems like it would insulate you from the worst of the downside. If you've been wisely channeling the profits to a trusted intermediary(eg best friend property management LLC), you'd probably still come out pretty well. If you plan on doing it a few times in a lifetime, chances are one of those times the market won't crash before you cash out.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Can't you just declare bankruptcy if there's a crash though? That seems like it would insulate you from the worst of the downside. If you've been wisely channeling the profits to a trusted intermediary(eg best friend property management LLC), you'd probably still come out pretty well. If you plan on doing it a few times in a lifetime, chances are one of those times the market won't crash before you cash out.

Well yeah, but we're talking about what causes a crash. A bunch of people declaring bankruptcy in similar situations causes banks to write off those bad loans and then poo poo happens.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

I have leveraged the camera by 30 degrees, pray I do not reverse that leverage! (I totally will with the next cut)

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

CannonFodder posted:

I have leveraged the camera by 30 degrees, pray I do not reverse that leverage! (I totally will with the next cut)

*shoots the leg off a cow inexplicably*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Reddit is truly a goldmine.

Was I [23f] wrong to secretly save money? My husband [24] of 5 years is upset and feels used

quote:

Upto about 6 months ago I was a stay at home wife with no kids. This is something that my husband and I both prefered. We have been planning to move out to a different state this spring/summer.

I thought we were fine, financially. My husband had gotten a bonus from work last year and made a decent amount. However, about 6 months ago he told me that we were blowing threw money and he only had 500 dollars in his account.

I was floored. I realize that it was stupid of me to not keep an eye on his account with him and to be so oblivious. The overspending is both of our faults. Most money was being spent on dates and dinners. Some of it was spent on car repairs.

After he told me this, I got a job immediately. However, a week after getting my paycheck I noticed that all the money was almost gone. No problem, I thought. That means we spent less of his money. I asked him, and that turned out to be not the case. We had just spent twice as much money. He started grabbing expensive coffee for breakfast and had bought a couple of luxery items such as a new wireless controller and headphones.

I did not want to go on at this rate and got an idea: I would take out half of my paycheck in cash, and store it upstairs in my closet from now on. I would not touch this, and I would not tell anyone because the less people that are tempted to get into our secret savings, the better.

In the months to come, I spent all of the money I didn't store in cash, paying for groceries and other necessities. His money was still draining away, but I was less concerned now. I admit that I bought some luxery things like 1 ebook a month and a new dress twice.

Anyway, yesterday he told me we couldn't move out this summer because he wasstill broke and we had pissed away our money. I got the savings box from upstairs and showed it to him, thinking that he'd be relieved. Ithad nearly 6000 dollars in it; enough for plane tickets and a deposit for a new place.

However, he got angry and told me it was ridiculous that I was secretly saving up while we were spending his money freely and that I used him. I told him that the savings are his as much as they are mine, and that they are for us to start a new life together.

He was still very angry and wouldn't hear what I had to say. I offered that we go see a financial counselor to help us save up from both of our paychecks and budget more, so that we both saved money, but he said no. He is now not talking to me.

I did apologize of course, but it didn't help. What should I do?

TL;DR; I secretly saved money. Husband is angry.

• Locked thread