Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

honestly, the death of Olicity is a good thing. I thought Felicity had really improved from the dregs of season 3 but it took one scene to destroy all that goodwill

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mythicknight
Jan 28, 2009

my thick night

God that was bad graphics

Oroborus
Jul 6, 2004
Here we go again
Anyone else catch Vixen giving away the identity of the flash to Olivers baby momma? They are terrible at keeping secret identities secret.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

King of Solomon posted:

Just checked out the preview for next month's return episode, and Cupid's back. That'll be fun!

At this point I'm pretty sure I'd take her and Oliver over Felicity

At least Cupid is willing to forgive, if only to further her own obsessions.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
It's taken me longer than most of you, but I'm starting to seriously dislike Felicity. Her attitude to all this is completely unreasonable.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
We need more scenes where Barrowman just chews up the scenery being a super villain. Less I'm your father Thea I love you and more

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
It's funny that Ollie actually has reasonable explanations as to why other people know about it, but they all sound increasingly insane on the face of it.

Thea: I didn't tell her, she found an uncashed check stub for a million dollars in a bank statement and followed the money.

Malcolm: He used his league of ninjas to spy on me.

Flash: I never told him personally, he came back from an alternate future where he had found out from an alternate future me.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Narcissus1916 posted:

Are you using Scrubs as a good or bad example of the trope? Because Scrubs largely kept JD and Elliot as friends for years without forcing the romance angle.
I can't tell you how much I despised Scrubs at the height of the JD/Elliot nonsense. I think that might have been the first show that got me to quit it from the romance plots alone.

Granted, I was seven seasons in at that point anyway...

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Felicity was bad.

I also thought Vixen was bad. Almost every single one of her lines was capital-b Backstory, delivered mostly in what sounded like a bored monotone. It was serious "as you know, Bob" level stuff.

I just don't know, show. I just don't know. I may leave you for Legends, which at least mixes crazy stupid with crazy awesome.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

This Felicity stuff is just setting up for Laurel to get back in it :suicide:

then Felicity will continue to work as their hacker for reasons.

and Barrowman won't be killed off either for reasons.

Kesper North posted:

Felicity was bad.

I also thought Vixen was bad. Almost every single one of her lines was capital-b Backstory, delivered mostly in what sounded like a bored monotone. It was serious "as you know, Bob" level stuff.

I just don't know, show. I just don't know. I may leave you for Legends, which at least mixes crazy stupid with crazy awesome.

Give me a spinoff with Thea, Vixen and Captain Lance.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Can we finally get Black Canary and Green Arrow as a couple and leave behind this dumb Felicity bullshit stat because they singlehandedly pissed away all the good will and chemistry they had built up this entire season in a gasp-inducing awed five minutes.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You know, once they had the scene where it turns out basically everyone but Felicity already knew I could see her point.

But then when she made it a "we can't be together" thing they lost me again.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Aphrodite posted:

You know, once they had the scene where it turns out basically everyone but Felicity already knew I could see her point.

But then when she made it a "we can't be together" thing they lost me again.

That might be true, but I'd think Felicity would appreciate a father who would want to be a part of their child's life and empathize with a kid growing up with one parent.

I hope Thea starts dropping some sister bombs. Again I'd like to point out the difference in Season 1 Thea vs Season 2+ Thea and give her props.

Its Rinaldo fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Feb 25, 2016

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009

greatn posted:

It's funny that Ollie actually has reasonable explanations as to why other people know about it, but they all sound increasingly insane on the face of it.

Thea: I didn't tell her, she found an uncashed check stub for a million dollars in a bank statement and followed the money.

Flash: I never told him personally, he came back from an alternate future where he had found out from an alternate future me.

I assume Malcolm knows because Moira and him were close in ways that either she would tell him or he would have found out while vetting his co conspirators for the undertaking. Not that it isn't to be assumed every shadow conceals a ninja on this show.

I have never taken Dark seriously as a villain. His continued obliviousness that Oliver is Green Arrow kinda underscores this. The fact that Malcolm, noted enemy of the Green Arrow, would come to you with a way to get revenge on Oliver Queen isn't even a clue?

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Bad Moon posted:

That might be true, but I'd think Felicity would appreciate a father who would want to be a part of their child's life and empathize with a kid growing up with one parent.

That makes a lot of sense that Oliver hit on her dad abandonment issues and that set her off and made her not see straight - but they didn't touch on anything like that at all within the actual show. If they had done that, maybe it would have made a little more sense.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

greatn posted:

But that's kind of the thing, isn't it. Oliver lies. Its kind of his thing. So when forced to choose between keeping a promise to the woman who he had a one night stand with ten years ago who's making unreasonable demands or the woman he supposedly loves he chooses not to lie to his babymomma? How exactly was she gonna find out he told Felicity, if she didn't find out that Barry knew, and Thea knew, and Malcolm knew, and etc? Cat was going to come out of the bag sooner or later, I mean his drat PR guy found the check stub and asked him about it during his highly publicized campaign for mayor against a guy who wanted to ruin him, alarm bells weren't going off?

Felicity shouldn't have broken up with Oliver because he lied to her. She should have broken it off with Oliver because he's too loving stupid for her. Ray's still single, Felicity. You can do better.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
I don't have a problem with Felicity getting her legs back on principle (comic book show, after all), but the way they did it was really jarring. Like, they knew they needed some kind of cliffhanger for the break and just kind of tacked a really important thing into the middle of a serious conversation.

On the other hand, this is the greatest exchange the show has had yet:

quote:

"What about Constantine?"
"He's in Hell."
"Really? What's going on?"
"I mean he's actually, literally, in... Hell."

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

I hope this acts as a back door pilot for Vixen, because while they gave her AWFUL lines, I can see a show with her wrecking poo poo in Detroit quite easily.

I'm beginning to think Felicity is actually a metahuman, and her power is wildly overreacting to things and crytalking.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Vixen could be a far better show than Legends of Going Back A Few Decades.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Vixen was Catwoman levels of bad, her dialogue was really really horrible.

How many times have Oliver and Felicity broken up? 5-6 times now?

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Narcissus1916 posted:

Vixen could be a far better show than Legends of Going Back A Few Decades.

There is no better show than Rogues and Canary Drinking Across Time

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Neon Knight posted:

I have never taken Dark seriously as a villain. His continued obliviousness that Oliver is Green Arrow kinda underscores this. The fact that Malcolm, noted enemy of the Green Arrow, would come to you with a way to get revenge on Oliver Queen isn't even a clue?

Not that I disagree, but Malcolm isn't a noted enemy of the Green Arrow. Maybe back in S1, but now? They're practically besties, at least to any outside observer. He went to war with the League of Assassins to protect Malcolm, and then made Malcolm into the next R'as al Ghul, even! Why would Malcolm ever do anything to hurt the Arrow?

To be the sole voice of dissent, I kinda agree with Felicity breaking it off with Oliver. Yes, he had a good explanation for it this time, but Oliver has spent 4 seasons keeping secrets from people close to him and having it blow up in his face. I think it's pretty reasonable for her to see him keeping his son secret, and then his deciding to abandon his son without even consulting with her, as just a continuation of that pattern, and proof that he isn't going to change.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Neon Knight posted:

Don't worry he's totally a threat now that his magic gimmick is gone and all he has is his army of worthless henchmen. Oh... :negative:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

http://imgur.com/a/2HsbB

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Zebulon posted:

Also, Diggle is STILL mad over magic and metahumans.

And yet is still the goddamn voice of reason about Oliver not telling anyone about William.

"And now you're sending your son away, and I understand why, but again you've left me out of the equation." Uhhhh, what? You're a non-entity in this equation, Felicity. Get over yourself!

10 Beers fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Feb 25, 2016

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

10 Beers posted:

And yet is still the goddamn voice of reason about Oliver not telling anyone about William.

And will likely be the one in the grave, while Felicity gets to continue being a horrible person for years to come.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Phenotype posted:

Not that I disagree, but Malcolm isn't a noted enemy of the Green Arrow. Maybe back in S1, but now? They're practically besties, at least to any outside observer. He went to war with the League of Assassins to protect Malcolm, and then made Malcolm into the next R'as al Ghul, even! Why would Malcolm ever do anything to hurt the Arrow?

Malcolm is an enemy of the Arrow.

Remember the stupid public thinks Green Arrow is a different guy.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I started singing I Will Survive as Felicity got up and walked on out that door. It made the scene.

Malcolm needs a gun-hand or something, or somehow needs to re-become the villian this show needs. Or they need to bring Slade back. Darkh was good but way under-used.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

What Dahrk really needs is Jere Burns and his amazing reaction eyebrows as a trusted henchman.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Wouldn't you think Dahrk would keep this totem that gives him all these magical powers somewhere safe? Not just on a dinning room table that's out in the open. It was just placed there.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He needs it around for magic doing.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Maybe like every great villain he let horrid be caught... ON PURPOSE!

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Phenotype posted:

To be the sole voice of dissent, I kinda agree with Felicity breaking it off with Oliver. Yes, he had a good explanation for it this time, but Oliver has spent 4 seasons keeping secrets from people close to him and having it blow up in his face. I think it's pretty reasonable for her to see him keeping his son secret, and then his deciding to abandon his son without even consulting with her, as just a continuation of that pattern, and proof that he isn't going to change.

I actually see what you're saying and understand her point of view, too. The way it was written for her, it made it sound extremely self-centered, but I don't think that's what it was about. Oliver very rarely comes to Felicity as a source of support. And it's not like he's incapable of leaning on people - he goes to Diggle, sometimes even Thea, even one of the Lances is more likely than going to Felicity.

This time he actually had a pretty drat good reason for not coming to Felicity for support when he was faced with a really, really difficult decision about whether to send William away or keep him close... he didn't come to her because she was going freaking crazy and he didn't want her to bite his head off.

But even they weren't fighting, would that have changed anything? Would he have gone to her for advice or support? I think it's a longshot.

So, Felicity does have a valid complaint with Oliver. I think that's true. But I think she's going too far to assume he'll never change just because he hasn't recovered 100% from island trauma (and being raised by Moira) yet. I think he's been making gradual progress over the last five years. Guess that's her call though if she doesn't wanna wait for some guy to open up finally.

Aphrodite posted:

He needs it around for magic doing.

I dunno if this is sarcasm but I'm pretty sure he actually was using it when they first showed up. But yeah, he could have, light, put it away in the secret magic totem safe place that he theoretically should have.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Fiance or not his decision to send his son away is really none of her drat business. That's between Oliver and his mother. And he does lean on her and come to her for advice all the time.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

XboxPants posted:

I dunno if this is sarcasm but I'm pretty sure he actually was using it when they first showed up. But yeah, he could have, light, put it away in the secret magic totem safe place that he theoretically should have.

I believe he was sitting there with it but build yourself a nice room like Barrowman had for all his weapons and gear.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
That's some pretty hamfisted drama at the end of the episode, considering Samantha tells Felicity pretty much right away that she made Ollie promise to keep William a secret (in order to protect William) if he wanted to have a relationship with his son.

William stops being a secret and is kidnapped to leverage Ollie. It's almost as if keeping him secret was the objectively correct decision

Hopefully Olicity is over for good, I can forgive how stupid that was if it ends the terrible relationship drama.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They're just making Oliver and Laurel fit better. There's literally nothing he can do that she hasn't had to deal with from him already.

Sorry Laurel, but Alucard Midnight has kidnapped my other child I never told you about. I need to stop him.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
I thought it was weird when Vixen stole Dahrk's totem he was just like "that happened!? *shrug*" then later when she smashed it he was like "WHAT IS HAPPENING?" like what else did he think she was gonna do with the source of his power?

runaway dog fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Feb 25, 2016

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
I liked the episode and even though I'm a Felicity apologizer I'm starting to get annoyed at this point. However, having Felicity learn she can walk again JUST to heel-turn and walk out on Oliver as the last scene is just loving hilarious all around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

howe_sam posted:

What Dahrk really needs is Jere Burns and his amazing reaction eyebrows as a trusted henchman.

Straight up write Wynn Duffy onto the show. It wouldn't be any more nonsensical than the ending to last night's ep and the payoff would be way better.

• Locked thread