Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

Patter Song posted:

Ok, I just realized something.

Puerto Rico (same number of delegates as NH) votes March 6th. I know there's bad blood between Puerto Ricans and Cubans but still, this might be Rubio's big shot at winning a contest pre-Florida.

Is he going to be replaced by a body snatcher who's good at politics?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU

CTH got into the weeds with the roadmap and the strategy years ago and they have a knack for predicting poo poo days before it happens

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

what I am saying is that none of these things matter

over and over again voters have seen the Clintons up to their necks in shady poo poo, their opponents have directly called them out on it, and they have coasted to comfortable election wins anyways

Hillary has never had a real election challenge when running for office.

The current political zeitgeist is also much more angry and gently caress the establishment than the 90s.

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Oh my God, this Mitt Romney thing is it. This is the strategy. They got Mitt to say something, knowing that Trump will bitch about it for a week straight. And then Rubio sucker punches him out of nowhere at the debate tomorrow, and Trump is stumped.

It's the "loss leader" tactic from 90's RTS games.

I like this theory.

User
May 3, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Nap Ghost

CubsWoo posted:

CTH got into the weeds with the roadmap and the strategy years ago and they have a knack for predicting poo poo days before it happens

Honestly I'm excited to see a media attention pissing match between the ratfuckers and The Donald. It should be epic.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.
I enjoy the theory that the GOPe is some Machiavellian illuminati and they are playing 12th dimensional chess with Donald Trump rather than they are just having surrogates shotgun to see what sticks because goddamn its in the spirit of this election.

Please continue, governors.

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

etalian posted:

The current political zeitgeist is also much more angry and gently caress the establishment than the 90s.

It's an enormous indictment of how bad the Republicans are at attacking that people think Darrell Issa and Trey Gowdy's limp swipes at Hillary count as really putting her through the wringer.

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬

Montasque posted:

The danger that Hillary will have is that no one is enthused to vote her... instead people will be enthused to vote for, and against, Donald Trump.

Also the RNC should be pumped at the turn out they're getting... Record turnout after record turnout... But nah, lets smash the rear end in a top hat who's bringing in all these new people!

yeah I want to see what the turnout numbers look like for Super Tuesday, if the trend carries over from the early contests it looks like there is a record breaking GOP turnout and a depressed turnout for Democrats

I (sloppily) threw together all the results for the current contests

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven
Just so everyone knows - Marco Rubio is going to win tomorrow's debate.

User
May 3, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Nap Ghost

Schnorkles posted:

I enjoy the theory that the GOPe is some Machiavellian illuminati and they are playing 12th dimensional chess with Donald Trump rather than they are just having surrogates shotgun to see what sticks because goddamn its in the spirit of this election.

Please continue, governors.

Yeah because with trillions of dollars on the line everyone is playing without strategy.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

mannerup posted:

yeah I want to see what the turnout numbers look like for Super Tuesday, if the trend carries over from the early contests it looks like there is a record breaking GOP turnout and a depressed turnout for Democrats

I (sloppily) threw together all the results for the current contests

please check democratic turn out numbers from 1988 and republican turn out numbers in 2000 re: the primaries.

These things might mean slightly less than you are attributing to them!

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Montasque posted:

except on drudge, time, all of the online polls, etc.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

Despera posted:

How many republicans will simply not vote for Trump ever? There more people like Beck and Erickson out there?

Yes, lots. Red State, the Federalist, National Review, the David Frums, David Brookses, George Wills, etc. It goes on and on.

There will be a not small, vocal group of Republicans who will endorse Hillary over Trump. The articles are already being written.

Trump (or his campaign at least) is literally insane and a national security risk, and most of the "conservative intellectuals" will reject him outright.

User
May 3, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Nap Ghost
Here's my theory low Democrat turnout despite high rally attendance: The Bernie fans are going to rallies because it's a way to meet emotionally fired up men or women who will feel a shared connection and thus be down for a fun time. They aren't going to vote because that's boring, and it's more fun to spend Tuesday night banging whoever you met at the rally.

Cigar Aficionado posted:

Yes, lots. Red State, the Federalist, National Review, the David Frums, David Brookses, George Wills, etc. It goes on and on.

There will be a not small, vocal group of Republicans who will endorse Hillary over Trump. The articles are already being written.

Trump (or his campaign at least) is literally insane and a national security risk, and most of the "conservative intellectuals" will reject him outright.

We don't care. They can all fit comfortably in one DC bar.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

the 1988 comparison was interesting. from the internet perspective it looks like an uninspiring candidate sleepwalking to her doom, and maybe that's the truth. if super tuesday is good for bernie that argument gains strength. on the other hand if it isn't, the alternate argument, that people don't turn out for a coronation but will for the general election, comes to the fore

not to mention the question as to whether trump's positive turnout will be greater than his negative turnout. there was talk about that in those heady days after iowa, when high turnout did not push trump to a win, and while such an anti-trump outlook can't be maintained any more, it's worth pointing out that even among republicans a decent proportion of the increased trump turnout has been anti rather than pro. how will that dynamic play out in november, amongst the general populace?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I think every attack the Republican higher-ups make against Trump only further proves that they're out of touch and it's Trump with his finger on the pulse.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

User posted:

Here's my theory low Democrat turnout despite high rally attendance: The Bernie fans are going to rallies because it's a way to meet emotionally fired up men or women who will feel a shared connection and thus be down for a fun time. They aren't going to vote because that's boring, and it's more fun to spend Tuesday night banging whoever you met at the rally.

We don't care. They can all fit comfortably in one DC bar.

You think pro-lifers are going to vote for someone who thinks planned parenthood is great?

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

User posted:

Yeah because with trillions of dollars on the line everyone is playing without strategy.

Except wouldn't they have screwed him.. I don't know, before he became legitimate?

Yes forums poster, the only way to stomp donald trump was to let him win and THEN deploy our secret weapon of Mitt Romney.

Or, you know, the GOP is struggling with uniting a fractured caucus and maybe didn't expect he would be as successful as he was or that their best perceived candidates [Walker, Perry, Bush] would be as DoA as they now are.

User
May 3, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Nap Ghost

Despera posted:

You think pro-lifers are going to vote for someone who thinks planned parenthood is great?

Yes.

Schnorkles posted:

Except wouldn't they have screwed him.. I don't know, before he became legitimate?

Yes forums poster, the only way to stomp donald trump was to let him win and THEN deploy our secret weapon of Mitt Romney.

Or, you know, the GOP is struggling with uniting a fractured caucus and maybe didn't expect he would be as successful as he was or that their best perceived candidates [Walker, Perry, Bush] would be as DoA as they now are.

Even monkeys fall from trees. And Trump is the Mule. He hijacked Jeb!'s spot in the plan.

User fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Feb 25, 2016

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

etalian posted:

:ironicat:

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Schnorkles posted:

please check democratic turn out numbers from 1988 and republican turn out numbers in 2000 re: the primaries.

These things might mean slightly less than you are attributing to them!

There are 78 million more people in America today than there was in 1988

38 if you're looking at just 2000 vs 1988

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

User posted:

Yes.

Even monkeys fall from trees. And Trump is the Mule.

That 39% of republicans who will never support trump is complete bullshit?

User
May 3, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Nap Ghost

Despera posted:

Yes.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

User posted:

The GOPe are a fractured and diffused group of people with competing objectives that sometimes overlap.

Sure they want to gently caress over Trump, but I doubt there's ONE effort to do so... With that said the Romney faction of the GOPe have been actively anti-Trump since January.. Our Principles Pac lead by Romney aide Katie Packer for instance had attack ads against Trump in Iowa. Stuart Stevens have been all over the news with his ANTI-TRUMP play book... Now big R-Money coming swinging at Trump over TAX RETURNS... Something is afoot but how effective will it all be?

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Montasque posted:

Do you mean win or :airquote: win :airquote:

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Brannock posted:

You've caught me in my lies. I admit defeat.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

^was there a comparison between the parties' primary turnouts in 88 and 00 or was the raw number comparison he debunked all there was to it? i wanted to believe

Despera posted:

i gave the stat so ill provide the caveats; in south carolina, and never supporting in the primary, not the general

there's probably a poll out there with the questions asked wrt the general, and with democrats' numbers for hillary in the same question, that would get at this better, but i'm not going to find it tonight. i think the 39% stat is an indicator of a real problem trump will have with these guys, though. especially if he p͙͚͍͉̖̟͔̗̗̪̅̀̐̋̇͒͗̃̌͠i̧̯̬͎̱̖̞̻͎̔̐͊͋͑̈́̽͌͆̕͜v͕̥̖̖͖͔͎̪̹͔̾̌͊̌̍̐̀͘͝͝o̧̡̪̱̜̯̙̘͇͉͒̂̈́̊̾̈́̎̑͊͋ţ̛̤̜͍̠̳̪͔̟̰̇͂̀̅̆͂͊̊͝s

vv these loving people. rick scott would be such a gloriously bad pick, he can barely win florida in republican wave midterm elections. but pundits probably know this poo poo, they just say it to get us talking. this is exactly what sports journalism calls a 'hot take' which is why that term has become so popular - because every type of journalist, not just the ones who are supposed to be frivolous, does it

oystertoadfish fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Feb 25, 2016

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
Chris Cillizza floated Rick Scott as a possible Trump VP, which is cool because I always thought the Lincoln Memorial would be much better as a shrine to Mammon.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Necc0 posted:

:airquote: win :airquote: then Trump will :airquote: win :airquote: all the online polls.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Not every republican is an idiot. Some realize he is further to the left of Hillary on quite a few issues.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Brannock posted:

i mean ffs.

The point I was making is that democratic turnout in 1988 was significantly higher than republican turnout and was a record [and honestly, the highest turnout until 2008]. GHWB, uh, well he won.

In 2000 Republican turnout absolutely stomped Democratic turnout, and Al Gore won the popular vote.

Turnout in primaries =/= Turnout in general elections

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Her too senate election wins were softballs, it's no wonder that she struggles so much in contested races and makes the same strategic errors.

User
May 3, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Nap Ghost

Despera posted:

Not every republican is an idiot. Some realize he is further to the left of Hillary on quite a few issues.

Yes but none of those issues is immigration, exporting jobs, or political corruption. Most republicans don't give a gently caress if Glenn "I wear trilbys lol" Beck thinks Trump is a conservative or not.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Remember when McCain picked Palin and he was going to win the goddamn presidency?

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Despera posted:

There's no way it's actually 39% - a lot of those folks will either warm to Trump or be terrified of the prospect of Literal Devil Incarnate Hillary Clinton becoming president that they pull the lever. But it doesn't take a lot to be a problem.

Schnorkles posted:

Plus they don't want to drop anti-Trump bombs if they don't have to, because they (a) don't want to alienate his supporters and (b) don't want him going Third Party.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Despera posted:

"Democrats fall in love, Republicans fall in line"

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

Necc0 posted:

Rubio hasn't really won a debate yet, but he sure did lose one and lose one badly.

Despite knowing deep down that these things aren't about substance at all, an awful lot of stupid journalists seem easily impressed by applause lines and well-rehearsed policy statements.

It's like now that Trump is clearly winning these debates through sheer force of will, charisma, and stage presence, substance matters when it really doesn't.

the whole "online polls :smuggo:" ignores the fact that Trump really has been winning these debates.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

User posted:

Yes but none of those issues is immigration, exporting jobs, or political corruption. Most republicans don't give a gently caress if Glenn "I wear trilbys lol" Beck thinks Trump is a conservative or not.

They do care if "Fed manages their lands great".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Mister Fister posted:

"Democrats fall in love, Republicans fall in line"

Thats why Sanders is winning the nom.

• Locked thread