Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice

timp posted:

FACK!

Another great episode. Curious to learn how many of the beats depicted in this episode regarding the power struggle happening with Simpson's defense team actually happened and can be backed up with proof or eyewitness accounts. On a similar note, does anybody know if Johnnie made up that story about OJ inspiring him to live a better life? Sounds like the kind of thing he could fabricate (or at least highly embellish) in order to get OJ into the right mindset and ultimately name him lead counsel.

I'm not caught up to the actual case in the Toobin book, but in the first 15 pages it says they Johnnie and OJ had a previous friendship and was being courted the whole time by the defense, and not a last minute addition when they needed a different approach. So I could see that being twisted more to fit the narrative of the show to have the racial aspects hit harder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Botnit posted:

It was only 3-4 years ago, someone with search will have to find it but it was a good read, non-US goon wanted all the skinny on America's worst greatest trial.

Do you remember the thread name, the tag, or the year the thread ended?

e: Was it definitely in the Ask/Tell forum?

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

Not sure who the OP was but 100% sure it was A/T and it was gold rated when I saw it so maybe search goldmine too?

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
Vance's delivery of "A hundred hairs!" was Emmy worthy in its own right. My God is he incredible to watch.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Why did Ito halt jury selection due to the (loving lol) tell-all book? Shouldn't the normal process be to require the jury to only address evidence presented in the courtroom and ignore the contents / inference obtained from the book?

ps lol at "nicole had six abortions to prevent from having OJ's babies"

pps lol "i wrote it to empower women and break the chain of violence"

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Why did Ito halt jury selection due to the (loving lol) tell-all book? Shouldn't the normal process be to require the jury to only address evidence presented in the courtroom and ignore the contents / inference obtained from the book?

http://law2.umkc.edu/faculty/projects/ftrials/Simpson/Jurypage.html#Final%20Jury

This is a good source for stuff if no one is able to find the old A/T thread.

quote:

Jury selection continued for two months. Judge Ito excluded from consideration potential jurors who violated his strict rules relating to exposure to the media. One juror was excluded for watching cartoons with her children, another for waking up to a clock radio. On October 18, Faye Resnick's book on Nicole Simpson's relationship with O. J. hit the bookstores, causing Ito to order a temporary halt to jury selection and to tell potential jurors "I forgot to tell you to stay out of bookstores."

A week later Ito dealt with another controversy, this one brought on by prosecutor Marcia Clark who had publicly complained that potential jurors were "lying" to get on the Simpson jury and that they all ought to be given lie-detector tests. Possibly seeing her remark later as potentially prejudicing jurors against the prosecution, she then asked Ito to dismiss the entire jury panel, citing "recent publicity." He refused.

Ito being stupid is also something they're going to have to play up to capture the trial perfectly. Him and the prosecution were basically punching themselves in the dicks over and over and over for the whole trial.

vvv I'm guessing it was lost in one of the archived database failures then :(

Botnit fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Feb 25, 2016

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Botnit posted:

This is a good source for stuff if no one is able to find the old A/T thread.

I manually ctrl+f'd "simpson" and "trial" thread titles in A/T through 2008, looked through Goldmine through 2008, and sorted by thread rating. I can't find it.

e: Also did forums search "o.j." "simpson" and "trial" in A/T, and google searched.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Thanks for the link, that's a goldmine.

I also tried searching for it but couldn't get anything but I got this tidbit which lol

quote:

In 1994, the Stanford Marching Band was disciplined after nineteen members skipped a field rehearsal in Los Angeles to play outside the Los Angeles County Superior Courthouse during jury selection for the O. J. Simpson trial. The band's song selection included an arrangement of The Zombies' "She's Not There."

Defense lawyer Robert Shapiro described the incident to the media as "a new low in tasteless behavior."

Later that year, during the halftime show of the football game against USC (where Simpson had played football and won the 1968 Heisman Trophy), band members drove a white Ford Bronco with bloody handprints around the Stanford Stadium track, an obvious allusion to the low-speed chase in which police followed a white Bronco carrying Simpson around the Los Angeles area.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I can't deal with Connie Britton playing someone I'm supposed to hate

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/02/01/arts/television/oj-simpson-murder-trial-coverage.html

NY Times has up some samples from the trial, interesting to read, unfortunately you need a subscription to read the full ones.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Feb 25, 2016

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Henchman of Santa posted:

I can't deal with Connie Britton playing someone I'm supposed to hate

Try falling in love with how terrible Faye is and how great Britton is playing it. That's how I'm rolling.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
God I feel so bad. When I was a kid I used to hate Ron Goldman's father, I remember thinking he was an rear end in a top hat because he was always pissed off and giving these really charged interviews. I wasn't a very empathetic child I guess because god drat I feel so bad for that family. It was like Ronald Goldman was a joke, and an ancillary footnote in his own murder. Can't even imagine what that's like as a parent.....

One thing I'm wondering, where are they sourcing this poo poo from? When Cochran goes to visit OJ one on one, etc...

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

maniacripper posted:

God I feel so bad. When I was a kid I used to hate Ron Goldman's father, I remember thinking he was an rear end in a top hat because he was always pissed off and giving these really charged interviews. I wasn't a very empathetic child I guess because god drat I feel so bad for that family. It was like Ronald Goldman was a joke, and an ancillary footnote in his own murder. Can't even imagine what that's like as a parent.....

You feel less sympathetic to the family when you realize a lot of them were involved with the If I Did It book, because they were getting a lot of the money from it. You can read the introduction to it on Amazon (here: http://www.amazon.com/Did-Confessio...ader_0825305934) and it's loving sickening. Any possible sympathy goes right out the door when you see how they immediately begin it by bloviating about how popular it is.

Edit: To clarify, OJ released the book first, got a bunch of money that he kept off the books so he wouldn't have to pay the Goldmans (that he owed from the civil trial), so they sued him to get the rights to the book and re-released it themselves and ostracized the few members of the family who spoke out about what a lovely thing it was to do.

The sister who was only 20 years old at the time of Ron dying has written two loving books of her own about it and is apparently planning a third after seeing how popular ACS is (judging from her twitter).

The dad has said in several interviews he's "too poor to retire" despite getting millions from book deals.

The family always falls back to defending their lovely profiteering off their son's murder by name dropping the "Ron Goldman Foundation for Justice" getting varying amounts of proceeds but two reporters never once found an actual physical address for such a place and even though they've used its name in interviews as recently as 6 months ago the website hasn't existed in over 5 years (and when it did it was a lovely wordpress one).

If you're thinking "man did anyone involved in this poo poo NOT write a book?" the answer is almost no one resisted the urge.

List of book writers: OJ himself, Cochran, Judge Ito, Marcia Clark, Darden, Shapiro, F Lee Bailey, Mark Fuhrman, FOUR jurors, 2 books by Goldman's Sister, 1 book by his dad, 1 book by Nicole's friend (in this episode).

The only person who should've written a book didn't: Kato. I would've read the gently caress out of a Kato book.

Oh, and Rob Kardashian didn't. He also all but announced he believed OJ did actually do it before he died, too, which means I would've liked to see a book from him about it. Would've probably been the only real account worth reading.

Botnit fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Feb 25, 2016

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004

Botnit posted:

You feel less sympathetic to the family when you realize a lot of them were involved with the If I Did It book, because they were getting a lot of the money from it. You can read the introduction to it on Amazon (here: http://www.amazon.com/Did-Confessio...ader_0825305934) and it's loving sickening. Any possible sympathy goes right out the door when you see how they immediately begin it by bloviating about how popular it is.

Nope, I'm still pretty sympathetic for the family that saw the murderer get away scott free. They can write all the books and get all the millions they want.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Botnit posted:

List of book writers: OJ himself, Cochran, Judge Ito, Marcia Clark, Darden, Shapiro, F Lee Bailey, Mark Fuhrman, FOUR jurors, 2 books by Goldman's Sister, 1 book by his dad, 1 book by Nicole's friend (in this episode).

Dershowitz wrote a shortish book too.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.
Some of these trial details, such as the marching band, are so Ryan Murphy that I can't believe he's leaving them out.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Edit: I see where I misunderstood, ignore.

Botnit posted:

The dad has said in several interviews he's "too poor to retire" despite getting millions from book deals.

I mean, this might be true; I read he's working in a retail men's store. Although that might be outdated information at this point, perhaps before the book deals you reference?

Sand Monster fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Feb 26, 2016

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Sash! posted:

It'll sound cliche, but 9/11 could do it too. So much has been made about components of it, but a full-on miniseries would be interesting.

They should announce that they're doing a season on Chandra Levy and then halfway through 9/11 happens and people are like "oh yeah, there are way bigger things we should be focusing on instead of distracting ourselves with pretty white girl murder cases" and the rest of it is about that.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

i don't watch the Kardishans show, but are there any scenes where they directly respond to this show?

Kill Dozed
Feb 13, 2008

i don't watch the Kardishans show, but are there any scenes where they directly respond to this show?

If there are, they won't be on the Kardashian Show for awhile. You will have to wait until the next season of the show to find out.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

I really hope they have footage of them watching the opening scene in the restaurant from a few episodes back.

Hansen85
Nov 11, 2009
Khloe actually talked about it on the Late Late Show a couple of days ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOXxXRlDj1Q

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

Hansen85 posted:

Khloe actually talked about it on the Late Late Show a couple of days ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOXxXRlDj1Q

Oh jesus loving christ, even Khloe shits all over them for the incessant name dropping.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Botnit posted:

Oh jesus loving christ, even Khloe shits all over them for the incessant name dropping.

She didn't poo poo on anything, though. In fact she said Kim loves the show and she herself is grateful for how they're portraying their father, just that yeah they seem to be playing the kids up a little and it makes sense to maybe grab a younger audience.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
I wish there was footage of the real OJ working the dance floor like Cuba was at the beginning of this episode.

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

esperterra posted:

She didn't poo poo on anything, though. In fact she said Kim loves the show and she herself is grateful for how they're portraying their father, just that yeah they seem to be playing the kids up a little and it makes sense to maybe grab a younger audience.

I didn't say she was making GBS threads on the show, I said she's making GBS threads on them with the name dropping, which she clearly does.

"They're kind of sensationalizing the Kardashian name in it, but I think to bring in a younger audience in..."

"I'm not upset about it but there was some scene of "the kids" chanting Kardashian when my dad was reading the potential suicide note and I even called Kim and said "Did that happen? and she goes "No!""

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004

Botnit posted:

I didn't say she was making GBS threads on the show, I said she's making GBS threads on them with the name dropping, which she clearly does.

"They're kind of sensationalizing the Kardashian name in it, but I think to bring in a younger audience in..."

"I'm not upset about it but there was some scene of "the kids" chanting Kardashian when my dad was reading the potential suicide note and I even called Kim and said "Did that happen? and she goes "No!""

Settle down, Jason.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"

Kevyn posted:

I wish there was footage of the real OJ working the dance floor like Cuba was at the beginning of this episode.

I think 94-95 was the twilight of the era before mass surveillance on private property. 2001 was the end for public. If a nightclub in the era had recent footage of OJ and Rob I predict it would have gone like this: footage put on tape, up for bidding war > media outlet that won airs footage > audience/public realizes it's drivel > rarely played again > aftermath sparks debate in club industry, editorials in industry publications, etc.

I really want to see that marching band anecdote pop up at some point, which could (and should) tie in with the "OJ City" media encampment that Garry Trudeau got a few weeks' worth of Doonesbury strips out of. (The "Adam" strip had a sizeable arc about jury duty brought on by this, complete with OJ gag for one day. Want to hear it?)

Also, when Schwimmer/Kardashian said "That's not true! That's not true! ...OK, that's true.", did anyone else think that it should be the thread's sub-title?

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice

Kevyn posted:

He was going all in with the hip thrusts, that's for sure. Probably some "witness" testimony about how the juice got loose

Efb

Hardawn fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Feb 26, 2016

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

LoG posted:

Settle down, Jason.

She was having a laugh and totally understanding about it. 'making GBS threads on it' implies bitching about the kids or changing the story about her room in the same manner some posters itt do.

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

esperterra posted:

She was having a laugh and totally understanding about it. 'making GBS threads on it' implies bitching about the kids or changing the story about her room in the same manner some posters itt do.

Nope, sorry, you don't get to randomly make up your own definition for phrases then try enforcing it in some dumb thread. making GBS threads on something simply means to diss it, which she is clearly doing in relation to how they're handling The Kardashian Brand(TM).

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=poo poo+on

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Botnit posted:

Nope, sorry, you don't get to randomly make up your own definition for phrases then try enforcing it in some dumb thread. making GBS threads on something simply means to diss it, which she is clearly doing in relation to how they're handling The Kardashian Brand(TM).

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=poo poo+on

Something tells me you have some anger.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

esperterra posted:

As if calling whatersface a "oval office" didn't tip you off.

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

esperterra posted:

:monocle: An ad hominem attack when proven to be wrong about something? Didn't see that coming at all!

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Please channel less white Bronco oj and more 100% not guilty oj

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
That was a good interview clip. I am shocked by how much I come away from that not hating Khloe Kardashian. Good for her.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Propaganda Machine posted:

That was a good interview clip. I am shocked by how much I come away from that not hating Khloe Kardashian. Good for her.

Well they've completely sold themselves out for fame but they do a pretty good job of it.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Cacator posted:

Well they've completely sold themselves out for fame but they do a pretty good job of it.

Man, I've never seen the show, don't care, and even used to work in Malibu assuaging my failure-as-a-human boss for his Kardashian encounters. People get to be people every once so often.

Google White Apache for context.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Sleeveless posted:

They should announce that they're doing a season on Chandra Levy and then halfway through 9/11 happens and people are like "oh yeah, there are way bigger things we should be focusing on instead of distracting ourselves with pretty white girl murder cases" and the rest of it is about that.

What does pretty girls have to do with Chandra Levy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RugClockVexx
Aug 15, 2008

Botnit posted:

Edit: To clarify, OJ released the book first, got a bunch of money that he kept off the books so he wouldn't have to pay the Goldmans (that he owed from the civil trial), so they sued him to get the rights to the book and re-released it themselves and ostracized the few members of the family who spoke out about what a lovely thing it was to do.

I always thought that they were pretty devastated financially after all the lawyers fees from the civil suit they brought against OJ. Also this from a 2014 CNBC article regarding OJs net worth (http://www.cnbc.com/2014/06/10/oj-simpson-murder-money-trial.html) :

"... when the Goldmans discovered in 2006 that O.J. Simpson had received a sizeable advance for a book called, "If I Did It." At first, they tried to have the book quashed, but when the rights to it were to be auctioned off in bankruptcy court, Kim Goldman said they purchased those rights to avoid Simpson somehow secretly profiting. She said the court ordered her family to publish the book."

So if the court ordered them to publish the book then the Goldman's look more sympathetic, right?

• Locked thread