Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger

Aramek posted:

Even if the cc effect doesn't work, the dot does, and it is great for aoe pulls for a magic DK.

Yeh, I am leveling with AoE dots. Engulfing flames, talons, unstable wall. Things within a few levels above me tend to die before I can fully charge a heavy attack after. The whip is nice on taloned mobs and gives the morph gives a small buff to engulfing.

Are petrify or ash any good?

Inferno and Inhale both seem good and could be used for Magicka regen, though I am not currently struggling with that.

I have not unlocked them yet and not sure what I would switch out once I had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Petrify is great in PvP, and Ash Cloud is probably the best AoE in the DK skillset.

Reminder that a lot of DK skills are getting buffed up for Thieves Guild as well so some stuff that isn't good now might be great afterwards. (See: Magma Shell; getting a major buff in the next patch, where the shield applies automatically to party members in range, essentially making it a Poor Man's Barrier)

E: loving LOL @ anyone stupid enough to pay real money for the Mercenary motif. I knew there was a reason Zenimax nerfed the poo poo out of the drop rates for Thieves Guild

Synthwave Crusader fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Feb 24, 2016

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

Scyantific posted:

loving LOL @ anyone stupid enough to pay real money for the Mercenary motif. I knew there was a reason Zenimax nerfed the poo poo out of the drop rates for Thieves Guild

What about the common motifs that can be easily bought for 300 gold?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i have never really understood the abject hatred of people who pay money to cash stores in non-p2w scenarios

afaik the crown motifs also don't have crafting requirements before you can use them, so there is that

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Hello friends, I just got this for PS4 and I didn't see anything in the OP about goon groups for console peasants. I would like someone to hold my hand and tell me I look pretty. PSN: mr_dread

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

ah, gently caress, it's you.

I'm p. sure we're still friends in PSN, Dead. (Literallygary)

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger

Scyantific posted:

Petrify is great in PvP, and Ash Cloud is probably the best AoE in the DK skillset.

Reminder that a lot of DK skills are getting buffed up for Thieves Guild as well so some stuff that isn't good now might be great afterwards. (See: Magma Shell; getting a major buff in the next patch, where the shield applies automatically to party members in range, essentially making it a Poor Man's Barrier)

E: loving LOL @ anyone stupid enough to pay real money for the Mercenary motif. I knew there was a reason Zenimax nerfed the poo poo out of the drop rates for Thieves Guild

I guess that means that when I level up to Ash, Inhale, Inferno I can probably drop the Destro altogether (which is just Unstable Wall and heavy attacks at present), use the dk skills and add S&B or something? I was thinking of dropping the resto, but I am not yet confident that the dk self heals are sufficient (or that I am sophisticated enough to use them if they are). Staves also have the advantage of being the only thing that uses both wep dmg/crit and Magicka, which saves Stam for blocking, rolling, etc. it seems to me. Haven't needed a gap closer much, so not sure what to do for that yet. Chain seems a bit limited, but maybe that changes with the update... Though again it's a Magicka gap closer as opposed to crit rush or shield charge.

E: wow. Just looked through those changes and they will really require some rethink on build and rotation order. The addition of Major Brutality to Igneous for instance. I use it already, but because now you can stack Major and Minor within the skill strong argument for keeping the destro, plus the wep crit from inferno. Lots of changes. More interesting than the Templar changes for certain. I don't think the in my house paladin thing is really functional for a Templar, though I have tried it, and don't see how these changes make it more so. Haven't even really looked to see what changes mean for stamsorcs. Don't understand nb's even to level of ignorance I have about stamsorcs, Templars and beginning to have about DK's.

Sogol fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Feb 24, 2016

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
The one aoe from destro is good, I forget the name, impulse I think? Otherwise, don't sweat your build until V1, try to get everything unlocked and try them out!

Mr. Carrier Pigeon
Aug 22, 2013

Those birds certainly know what they're doin'!
drat those summons look like some of the best quality of life improvements possible in this game. Hope they're cheap. I also kinda want a battle camel. I mean, just think about that. Battle. Camel. Battle camel. Awesome.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Mr. Carrier Pigeon posted:

drat those summons look like some of the best quality of life improvements possible in this game. Hope they're cheap. I also kinda want a battle camel. I mean, just think about that. Battle. Camel. Battle camel. Awesome.

Hahahahaha, those loving assistants will cost no less than 2500 crowns. If Zenimax knows how to do one other thing than ban people, it's milk the poo poo out of their fanbase with this kind of stuff.

E:

Sogol posted:

I guess that means that when I level up to Ash, Inhale, Inferno I can probably drop the Destro altogether (which is just Unstable Wall and heavy attacks at present), use the dk skills and add S&B or something? I was thinking of dropping the resto, but I am not yet confident that the dk self heals are sufficient (or that I am sophisticated enough to use them if they are). Staves also have the advantage of being the only thing that uses both wep dmg/crit and Magicka, which saves Stam for blocking, rolling, etc. it seems to me. Haven't needed a gap closer much, so not sure what to do for that yet. Chain seems a bit limited, but maybe that changes with the update... Though again it's a Magicka gap closer as opposed to crit rush or shield charge.

E: wow. Just looked through those changes and they will really require some rethink on build and rotation order. The addition of Major Brutality to Igneous for instance. I use it already, but because now you can stack Major and Minor within the skill strong argument for keeping the destro, plus the wep crit from inferno. Lots of changes. More interesting than the Templar changes for certain. I don't think the in my house paladin thing is really functional for a Templar, though I have tried it, and don't see how these changes make it more so. Haven't even really looked to see what changes mean for stamsorcs. Don't understand nb's even to level of ignorance I have about stamsorcs, Templars and beginning to have about DK's.

The DK changes are pretty much a halfway point between the broken as gently caress perma-bats/perma-SoM DK metagame from back at launch and the current joke of a class that is DK right now (but can still be very dangerous in the right hands, see: Vyr Cor and Etaniel).

As for Templars... well I'll just leave this Fengrush hype video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0reT1dBS5Ao

Synthwave Crusader fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Feb 25, 2016

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
the only one of those that would even make a marginal difference in my life would be if you could call the banker while in cyrodiil to stash my stones while avoiding borderline collusive blue and yellow zergs so if i can't do that quite frankly i don't give a poo poo

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Can I get an invite to the guild?

@ShalebridgeCradle

I just started playing and I have to wonder is there a crafting profession that's worth focusing on your first time through? The alchemy and enchanting stuff is just confusing the hell out of me, but provisioning gives some pretty great boosts even if if fills my inventory with poo poo.

tgidieday
May 7, 2007
You can't kill me, I quit!

Sogol posted:

Unstable Wall

Reminder that Wall of Elements is going to be almost double damage after Thieves' Guild.

You can get whatever you need from guildies, so it's not exactly a priority. Decon glyphs and anything blue and above for tempers. Save your skill points for, you know, skills. When you hit veteran ranks you'll be better positioned to start crafting. Unless you want to be a non-vet PvP superstar, there's no harm in waiting (possible exception: provisioning/connoisseur if you use xp pots).

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

Can I get an invite to the guild?

@ShalebridgeCradle

I just started playing and I have to wonder is there a crafting profession that's worth focusing on your first time through? The alchemy and enchanting stuff is just confusing the hell out of me, but provisioning gives some pretty great boosts even if if fills my inventory with poo poo.

Break down all the gear you pick up that you're not using, regardless of color. Alchemy is a lot less intimidating then it looks, and provisioning is a cakewalk, just collect every ingredient you find, learn every recipe you find, and make as much food as you can every time you're in town (you can trash it or use it afterwards). Enchanting is a bitch. Overall, do your writs every day. You'll build experience quickly and get valuable items.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

the only one of those that would even make a marginal difference in my life would be if you could call the banker while in cyrodiil to stash my stones while avoiding borderline collusive blue and yellow zergs so if i can't do that quite frankly i don't give a poo poo

Somehow I imagine it'll be locked out in PvP.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger

tgidieday posted:

Reminder that Wall of Elements is going to be almost double damage after Thieves' Guild.

Yeh, I saw this afterwards. Probably means keeping the destro in rotation. Essentially a nice problem to have not quite being able to figure out what to get rid of as I level and such.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

JackBadass posted:

Somehow I imagine it'll be locked out in PvP.

They've already said it is, in Cyrodiil. As I see it, I'll be buying both, why not. As anything, you don't have to if you don't want to.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Berke Negri posted:

They've already said it is, in Cyrodiil. As I see it, I'll be buying both, why not. As anything, you don't have to if you don't want to.

Have they confirmed a price yet?

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

JackBadass posted:

Have they confirmed a price yet?

Looking back on the showcase no, though I think someone said 2500 crowns per assistant.

Once the ESO Plus unlimited crafting bags come in to play the bank assistant probably wont be a deal, but having an on call merchant for repairs and selling trash is obv a good deal.

I mean, someone want to get mad about this, they been playing the game non stop every day for two years okay, whatever. They're letting everyone around a person who has bought either assistant use them. I can easily see this making repair/bank runs more streamlined for serious groups so whatever.

valuum
Sep 3, 2003
ø
From the announcement earlier : "Some Assistants are obtained by completing in-game objectives, and others are available for purchase in the Crown Store under the Upgrades category. "

Ahh please let it be the banker..

e: Booooo VVVVVV

valuum fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Feb 25, 2016

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

valuum posted:

From the announcement earlier : "Some Assistants are obtained by completing in-game objectives, and others are available for purchase in the Crown Store under the Upgrades category. "

Ahh please let it be the banker..

They're talking about the smuggler assistant that will be available from the Thieves Guild quest line. Banker and Merchant will be cash shop exclusive.

Mr. Carrier Pigeon
Aug 22, 2013

Scyantific posted:

Hahahahaha, those loving assistants will cost no less than 2500 crowns. If Zenimax knows how to do one other thing than ban people, it's milk the poo poo out of their fanbase with this kind of stuff.

poo poo, you're probably right. But I gotta ask, dude... do you actively hate this game? Because your posts seem to indicate that you don't actually like it lol.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
He's just salty in a loveable sea dog sort of way.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

poo poo, you're probably right. But I gotta ask, dude... do you actively hate this game? Because your posts seem to indicate that you don't actually like it lol.

No, he's just joking.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Speaking of loveable sea dogs, there are going to be pirate costumes :woop:

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

He probably does and I can sympathize because I loving hate playing GTA online constantly for the last 3 years and I will tell everyone I play with so they know we're not having a good time.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Let me get one thing straight: my problem is not with the game. ESO is a fantastic game with some innovative design and some real potential. Also it's a great social game, I've met some really cool people ingame that I run dungeons with on a daily basis (see: ennuid & pluto, my pocket healer for IC dungeons, and my trade/raid and pvp guilds). Those things are what keep me coming back even when I get frustrated with the problems it has.

My problem is with the few people in the development staff that are taking that potential (Wrobel, Finnigan, Firor) and pissing it away in the name of chasing the casual crowd. Or because they are so disconnected from the playerbase in general that they have no idea what people want anymore.

Yes, I get it, the casual crowd is where the money's at, where Zenimax stands to make the most of its profit from. However, that doesn't mean that *absolutely everything* in the game needs to be toned down for them so we don't get a bunch of cries on their forums about "BUT I CAN'T DO CRAGLORN OR TRIALS THEY'RE TOO HARD AND I DON'T WANT TO FIND A GROUP FOR THEM," while at the same time making the real end-game content so frustrating that people don't want to do it, and the ones who do end up clearing the content feel like they've been forced to.

Trust us when ennuid and I tell you that if we both wanted to, we could sit our asses down for 3-4 hours and clear Veteran Maelstrom with little effort. But we don't. Because it is frustratingly boring. That's not how endgame is supposed to make you feel.

The same thing applies to stuff like the Mercenary motif issue. The only reason I lashed out on that was because they introduced a new reward for completing the Undaunted dailies with the Orsinium update, but didn't completely think it through when it came to drop rates and how easy it was to bank keys and get a ton of chapters within minutes or hours after they were added ingame. Now that the market on them is completely dead, they're trying to artificially inflate the value by increasing the grind needed to complete a full book (gold chests now basically have less than 1/5th of a chance to drop 1 of 14 chapters), while also making a blatant cash grab by adding it to the Crown Store (for 5000 Crowns too no doubt). Once again, I get it, they have to make money somehow. But this poo poo, along with the blatant nerfs to v14 gear (even at gold level) when IC launched, and the whole Bind on Pickup disaster that was both Imperial City and Orsinium, proves that they don't feel any confident at all about their DLCs/Crown Store Items being able to sell themselves; and by crippling existing items/droprates/methods of obtaining endgame gear in order to sell their new and shiny, it makes them seem very shady.

tl;dr - Game Good, Management Bad.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
I don't have ledgermain progressed on any characters. Should I pick one and progress it before TG release?

Sgt Showtime
Jun 21, 2011

The Santa Clause of Satire;
The man with a hat on, from Manhattan,
(John Oliver)
Giving this game another shot, could I get an invite to the guild?
@Sgt.Showtime

Raruna
Mar 30, 2010

Scyantific posted:

Let me get one thing straight: my problem is not with the game. ESO is a fantastic game with some innovative design and some real potential. Also it's a great social game, I've met some really cool people ingame that I run dungeons with on a daily basis (see: ennuid & pluto, my pocket healer for IC dungeons, and my trade/raid and pvp guilds). Those things are what keep me coming back even when I get frustrated with the problems it has.

My problem is with the few people in the development staff that are taking that potential (Wrobel, Finnigan, Firor) and pissing it away in the name of chasing the casual crowd. Or because they are so disconnected from the playerbase in general that they have no idea what people want anymore.

Yes, I get it, the casual crowd is where the money's at, where Zenimax stands to make the most of its profit from. However, that doesn't mean that *absolutely everything* in the game needs to be toned down for them so we don't get a bunch of cries on their forums about "BUT I CAN'T DO CRAGLORN OR TRIALS THEY'RE TOO HARD AND I DON'T WANT TO FIND A GROUP FOR THEM," while at the same time making the real end-game content so frustrating that people don't want to do it, and the ones who do end up clearing the content feel like they've been forced to.

Trust us when ennuid and I tell you that if we both wanted to, we could sit our asses down for 3-4 hours and clear Veteran Maelstrom with little effort. But we don't. Because it is frustratingly boring. That's not how endgame is supposed to make you feel.

The same thing applies to stuff like the Mercenary motif issue. The only reason I lashed out on that was because they introduced a new reward for completing the Undaunted dailies with the Orsinium update, but didn't completely think it through when it came to drop rates and how easy it was to bank keys and get a ton of chapters within minutes or hours after they were added ingame. Now that the market on them is completely dead, they're trying to artificially inflate the value by increasing the grind needed to complete a full book (gold chests now basically have less than 1/5th of a chance to drop 1 of 14 chapters), while also making a blatant cash grab by adding it to the Crown Store (for 5000 Crowns too no doubt). Once again, I get it, they have to make money somehow. But this poo poo, along with the blatant nerfs to v14 gear (even at gold level) when IC launched, and the whole Bind on Pickup disaster that was both Imperial City and Orsinium, proves that they don't feel any confident at all about their DLCs/Crown Store Items being able to sell themselves; and by crippling existing items/droprates/methods of obtaining endgame gear in order to sell their new and shiny, it makes them seem very shady.

Man. This feels like the exact same problems I have with Dungeon Fighter Online nowadays. I absolutely love the game, but the game was rebalanced to be way easier during leveling, and then when you hit the endgame, it's a kilometer-high brick wall of horrible frustration. That game has these special endgame dungeons that aren't exactly "hard", but are unbelievably punitive for small mistakes, or just the game straight up not showing you the correct tells because of lag.

So I just feel zero motivation to continue playing it, despite it being a great game, as the endgame is probably the least fun I've had in a game in really long.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Scyantific posted:

I can agree with the majority of this, but I feel inclined to bring up my point again: how big an issue is it to nerf the merc motif drop rate at this point? Everyone and their dog (and their dog's dogs) have the whole thing by this point. It's kind of like sticking a band-aid on the boo-boo after the boo-boo has long since caused the limb to grow gangrenous and fall off. The worst it'll do is drive the price of each page up maybe 1k. Maybe.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

titties posted:

He probably does and I can sympathize because I loving hate playing GTA online constantly for the last 3 years and I will tell everyone I play with so they know we're not having a good time.

Yeah, but GTA Online is broken trash, and Rockstar seems more inclined to blame everyone else than just fix their drat game.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Sogol posted:

I don't have ledgermain progressed on any characters.

I can't even wrap my head around this.

Mr. Carrier Pigeon
Aug 22, 2013

I didn't think my post would cause that kind of response. Scy, it's cool. I do understand your complaints. Let it be said that I've never played any MMOs prior to ESO. The reason I jumped in was that I'm a TES fan and thought "Welp, it'll be a while before TES 6, and it's on sale, so why not?" That being said, I do have my own complaints about this game. It can be pretty punishing if you don't know EXACTLY what your build will be. Having played RPGs since I was the ripe old age of 7, I know the archetypes, classes, strategies, blah blah blah. What I've learned, though, is that some setups have MAJOR downfalls.

My main, a VR5 Bosmer DK, is worthless as anything other than a master crafter. Why? I screwed up her build. I tried to roll a character I played in Skyrim and it failed miserably. My new toon, a level 12 Dunmer NB, has already surpassed any potential my main has in combat because of how I set him up. I'm basically starting over from this point on.

That's only a small example. I'm sure that in your far longer-term experience (does that make sense?) you've encountered any number on irritating things.

I would try to write something more coherent but it's late and I'm tired. That being said, I'm pretty amped about the droprates I got on Dwemer stuff today. 3 Motifs in an hour. Hell yes.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i hate to be the bearer of good news but you can respec for something like 100 gold per skillpoint in your faction's capital

tgidieday
May 7, 2007
You can't kill me, I quit!

There's more to DK than magicka. There are stamina morphs of breath and embers, and if you get some maelstrom one-handers, you can do that glass cannon build that's arguably the best dps in the game. It's resource-intensive, too, so losing raw stamina in exchange for Bosmer's regen is not a bad trade.

Lastly, if you're doing stamina nightblade, you're going to end up right where your DK is. Run magicka, or if that doesn't appeal to you, roll a (redguard) stamina sorcerer.

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

i hate to be the bearer of good news but you can respec for something like 100 gold per skillpoint in your faction's capital

Also this.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

I've been stealing on my vamp stamsorc and ww stamnb all week now that I've wrapped up Orsinium on my magdk. I'm kind of torn which I want to use for my first run of TG, mainly because my main, the magdk, has always been the typical "good person" in quests, but also still has the highest crime level back when they first introduced stealing because there was that alley in stormhaven you could loot easy and make like thousands of gold a day in ten minutes before they nerfed gold on fencing.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger

JackBadass posted:

I can't even wrap my head around this.

I have wondered how many characters you play. I don't spend any time stealing things and only very focused times even checking crates and barrels at all. Just enough to level provisioning (he is at 49 provisioning) on my as yet unleveled cook. I don't spend a lot of time sneaking.

Currently I have one v11 stamplar (maxed out on all equipment crafts and about to max enchanting) , a newly minted 40 dk (which I am loving despite all the hate they get), a 30 something stamsorc, a 30 something magplar (about to max alchemy) and have deleted a couple of 30-40 chars of various sorts. A couple of miles. I think I may play differently than you.

I will probably turn my nb unleveled cook into a thief.

Sogol fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Feb 26, 2016

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Sogol posted:

I have wondered how many characters you play. I don't spend any time stealing things and only very focused times even checking crates and barrels at all. Just enough to level provisioning (he is at 49 provisioning) on my as yet unleveled cook. I don't spend a lot of time sneaking.

Currently I have one v11 stamplar (maxed out on all equipment crafts and about to max enchanting) , a newly minted 40 dk (which I am loving despite all the hate they get), a 30 something stamsorc, a 30 something magplar (about to max alchemy) and have deleted a couple of 30-40 chars of various sorts. A couple of miles. I think I may play differently than you.

I will probably turn my nb unleveled cook into a thief.

This brings up another thing I don't understand in this game: alternate crafting characters. My main is sitting on 3 skill points, all the combat moves I'll ever use learned, and all skills in all crafting lines and the lines themselves maxed. Are there people doing things line learning all six weapon lines on one character not as a joke? I seriously feel like I'm the crazy one when I see this, yet I feel like I'm pretty okay at combat and whatnot.

As for ledgermain, I didn't even actively level that. I just looked at it one day and was all, "Oh look, I'm maxed. Neat".

As I'm writing this, I notice I'm maxed in a lot more things than I thought. Neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger

JackBadass posted:

This brings up another thing I don't understand in this game: alternate crafting characters. My main is sitting on 3 skill points, all the combat moves I'll ever use learned, and all skills in all crafting lines and the lines themselves maxed. Are there people doing things line learning all six weapon lines on one character not as a joke? I seriously feel like I'm the crazy one when I see this, yet I feel like I'm pretty okay at combat and whatnot.

As for ledgermain, I didn't even actively level that. I just looked at it one day and was all, "Oh look, I'm maxed. Neat".

As I'm writing this, I notice I'm maxed in a lot more things than I thought. Neat.

Oh... Well, I tend to level literally all the weapon lines to some extent as well as armor types. I am interested in how they work (or don't work) separately and together. I don't keep them all skilled all the time or anything of course. I can't say it has made me any better at playing the game exactly (probably the opposite), but that is not really my interest in some ways. I also tend to make new sets of armor every few levels to see what those are like.

I had thought it possible given your comments on foraging and v16 that you might mostly play a single character.

I suspect that if I just played one character long enough legerdemain would max out from chests and occasional pilfering. As it is, given the amount of time and how I spend it, leveling that skill line will require deciding that I want to level it. If I only played my crafter then foraging would also be very different. I have probably still only played a very small portion of the game and don't even have a v16.

• Locked thread