Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

cremnob posted:

ok i dont care cause ill continue to post links news articles

You're a human being, and nobody reads or enjoys your posts, we just have to scroll past an RSS bot in the middle of the Apple AIDS Discussion THread

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

add me to ur ignore list then cause i dont give a gently caress

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Larry Parrish posted:

You're a human being

not cool. what would Tim say

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

THC posted:

not cool. what would Tim say

Larry Parrish posted:

You're a human being

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

doubt it

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
he might if he was in bed with cremnob and is the top

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Linguica posted:

less than a year after launch

wow! great deal on AIDS

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

DaNzA posted:

:agreed:

seriously though, how easy is it to crack like a 12 alphanumeric non-dictionary based 256 bit aes encrypted stuff? is it on the same level of WEP for wifi?

there's no evidence or even a suggestion that they've found a flaw in the encryption itself. so, nothing like wep

the whole reason they want to be able to enter pins over the lightning connection is because they still have to brute force the pin to get in, and they don't have a cool robot that pokes the screen with a stylus

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Linguica posted:

🎶 looks like we made it 🎤

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Linguica posted:

refurbished

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

lol

Shortly after the its acquisition of Sharp was announced, Foxconn put the deal on hold after "discovering previously undisclosed liabilities." Foxconn said it would not sign off on the deal until terms had been clarified. At issue is hundreds of billions of yen in liabilities which Sharp will need to resolve before the deal is finalized.

japan is corrupt as hell

poty
Jun 21, 2008

Larry Parrish posted:

You're a human being, and nobody reads or enjoys your posts, we just have to scroll past an RSS bot in the middle of the Apple AIDS Discussion THread

1. who the gently caress are you

2. yeah it really takes away from infernal machines 100-post aspergers tour de force about how the media is using a word slightly inaccurately in a way completely meaningless to the point of the story

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
senpai notice me!

perhaps if the media were reporting on what was actually happening rather than apple's pr spin these things wouldn't need to be said

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

infernal machines posted:

it's really convenient to handwave away the specifics of the fbi's request to make it fit into a narrative about erosion of privacy rights, as apple has done

but what the fbi has requested is very intentionally limited in scope. they need judicial approval to request apple make a firmware, tied to a single device via its IMEI. the firmware cannot be modified by the fbi to remove the IMEI requirement as the phones will only accept signed firmware, and the fbi does not have apple's signing keys. the phones do not allow the IMEI to be modified or spoofed. the firmware does not change the encryption of the data in any way, the pin must still be discovered and entered for the data to be readable.

the fbi must go through this process for each and every phone they wish to access, meaning they need a warrant from a judge and a custom firmware from apple for each phone

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Lol

We told the cops they can't kick in someone's door in the middle of the night and shoot them so they kicked in the window in the afternoon and shot them. This is a meaningful distinction and furthermore,

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

maniacdevnull posted:

Lol

We told the cops they can't kick in someone's door in the middle of the night and shoot them so they kicked in the window in the afternoon and shot them. This is a meaningful distinction and furthermore,

also, the cops had a judge say it's okay to kick in the window and shoot them.

that's the distinction. it's a problem, but it's a problem with the law

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

if the fbi already has a warrant to search the contents of your phone, you have a problem that encryption isn't going to solve

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i have a question op isnt this the same as a bank vault? or safe deposit box? assuming the custom software or w/e can only be used on that one particular phone. i understand the impl;ication if it can be repurposed, but.. isnt that not whats in question here? im stupid.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

the fbi already admitted they have a lineup of phones they want to use the same software on

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Jenny Agutter posted:

the fbi already admitted they have a lineup of phones they want to use the same software on

thjen dont they need 2 get a warreant etc or idk im not a lawyer but the same search criteria? for each thing? like as if they were little bank vaults?

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Smythe posted:

i have a question op isnt this the same as a bank vault? or safe deposit box? assuming the custom software or w/e can only be used on that one particular phone. i understand the impl;ication if it can be repurposed, but.. isnt that not whats in question here? im stupid.

Opening a bank vault is a normal part of what a bank does. Bypassing the security like the govt is asking apple to do would be something totally new that isn't a part of Apple's everyday business. If they were asking to reset a password or something, yeah, you're right, but that's not what this case is.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Smythe posted:

no, that's exactly it. but because it's tech and apple has framed it like they're being asked to hand out a master key to everything everywhere, people are arguing about something that has already existed for decades like it's the end of the world

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

if they don't want to write the firmware, that's their business. their stated reasons for why they don't want to write the firmware are disingenuous

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

if they don't want to write the firmware, that's their business. their stated reasons for why they don't want to write the firmware are disingenuous

Nah. The idea that the govt can force a company to perform new services and/or invent new products simply because they want it so much sets a really bad precedent.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
just have Apple invoke the DMCA due to fbi trying to circumvent processes. done

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

maniacdevnull posted:

Nah. The idea that the govt can force a company to perform new services and/or invent new products simply because they want it so much sets a really bad precedent.

i absolutely agree. but that's not what's being advertised here. this has nothing to do with privacy or encryption, but that's what people are defending/opposing this based on, because that's how apple's pr has framed it

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

apple: we don't want the government to force us to make a product

somehow that just doesn't grab the headlines as well

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
It's definitely an interesting case. I wonder what the precedents are of government compelling other operators to open other "impregnable" storage facilities.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i already have clients that cannot store data in any US hosted cloud because the feds have blanket access to anything on US servers

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

Smythe posted:

It's definitely an interesting case. I wonder what the precedents are of government compelling other operators to open other "impregnable" storage facilities.

if a bank vault or safe is locked, they can be compelled to open it with a code

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

i already have clients that cannot store data in any US hosted cloud because the feds have blanket access to anything on US servers

yeah the ultimate ironing here is that apple has already given the NSA unfettered access to your data without any court order and nobody cares but the fbi taking the proper legal course for a single phone is apparently the apocalypse

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

Shaggar posted:

yeah the ultimate ironing here is that apple has already given the NSA unfettered access to your data without any court order and nobody cares but the fbi taking the proper legal course for a single phone is apparently the apocalypse

when your business is dying ever so slowly, the best way to boost sales and consumer confidence is to fabricate a good guy defense

see: Xbox one

poty
Jun 21, 2008

saying that a company must break into their products if asked is a de-facto ban on making unbreakable things. if you want to ban something it should be a law and politicians should vote on it so they can be accountable when people realize it was a bad idea all along

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Shaggar posted:

i care

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Shaggar posted:

it leads to weird scenarios where we can use azure storage, but not office 365, because azure is encrypted client-side and the keys are not stored in the cloud, but anything in the office cloud can be read by the feds

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

so iOS 9.3 will have Apple Music api access, hot drat

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Shaggar posted:

also apple already gave the fbi the available icloud backup data from that phone's account

so it's definitely not about privacy

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

yeah, but look at how hard people are cheer leading for them on the assumption that it is

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

yeah, but look at how hard people are cheer leading for them on the assumption that it is

it's all about generating sales
follow the money....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

they've already said they have hundreds of phones they want to do this with, so calling it "limited in scope" is lol.

• Locked thread