Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

Chalks posted:

I don't know how reddit works, but I specifically messaged the moderators of that subreddit and told them my story to check that they were happy for me to post it. Even told them that I was a goon and didn't want to cause a big mess for them.

They said it was fine to post but they couldn't guarantee that I would get a warm reception, and wished me luck. Overall they were really very cool about it, so I'd be surprised if they decide to go back and censor it later.

The link seems to be working but I'm like you and I don't know how reddit is supposed to work in terms of what appears on what page. I'm just kinda ignoring the thread atm, it gave publicity to the issue and that's the only reason I posted it there.

It might be something to do with the upvote/downvote fight meaning that the thread itself has a big fat zero rating overall. There doesn't seem to be any sort of "controversial" category so I guess if you get an even number of votes you disappear no matter how popular the discussion is. Someone guilded me for it though.. what ever that means!

you got guilded which is the pay feature of the reddit. Someone gave you gold - same as buying an account here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Chalks posted:

I don't know how reddit works, but I specifically messaged the moderators of that subreddit and told them my story to check that they were happy for me to post it. Even told them that I was a goon and didn't want to cause a big mess for them.

They said it was fine to post but they couldn't guarantee that I would get a warm reception, and wished me luck. Overall they were really very cool about it, so I'd be surprised if they decide to go back and censor it later.

The link seems to be working but I'm like you and I don't know how reddit is supposed to work in terms of what appears on what page. I'm just kinda ignoring the thread atm, it gave publicity to the issue and that's the only reason I posted it there.

It might be something to do with the upvote/downvote fight meaning that the thread itself has a big fat zero rating overall. There doesn't seem to be any sort of "controversial" category so I guess if you get an even number of votes you disappear no matter how popular the discussion is. Someone guilded me for it though.. what ever that means!

The thread is top of the "controversial" list, which is hidden by their custom CSS

Reddit be stupid

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

celewign posted:

She seems nice, but clearly wasn't born a woman. I hope everything works out for her other than star citizen.

I think she'll be fine, I've seen her be fairly sceptical about Star Citizen a few times, but she leads one of the main whale orgs and tries to make money from her youtube stuff so I think she made a decision a long time ago not to push :lesnick: too hard.

He'd never do another show with her if she did.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

intardnation posted:

you got guilded which is the pay feature of the reddit. Someone gave you gold - same as buying an account here.

What is gold used for?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
didn't chalks' thread used to have like 50 upvotes? do reddit an sa have opposing opinions and sleeping patterns?

Ezekeel
Nov 18, 2015

fuctifino posted:

Google her name. She has a few articles online about when she went abroad for the op, and is quite open about it.

:psyboom:

drat. And I thought you guys were joking. I even made fun about her. Now I feel really bad. Kinda. Well, maybe not really.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Marching Powder posted:

didn't chalks' thread used to have like 50 upvotes? do reddit an sa have opposing opinions and sleeping patterns?

Yeah, it's kinda weird. Some massive downvoting happened to every reply I made to the thread overnight - when I went to sleep all my replies were between +5 and +8, now they're almost all negative, some as low as -10. The downvoting thing is retarded, I reply to someone saying "if you've got any questions I'm happy to answer them" and it gets -8 downvotes. Reddit is dumb as hell.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
A Different View of the Star Citizen Forums

quote:

I've been put on probation a few times on the Star Citizen Forums. Let me be clear though before we get too far into this... I deserved every single one of those temporary bans. I said things that went too far, wrote a post that was a bit too explicit, and took part in a PM that was sent to roughly 300 different people. I could state a number of excuses on why I did what I did but it really came down to one simple thing. I broke the rules. So, I want to talk about how I was treated by the Moderators and specifically Ben Lesnick because I come from a different point of view. I not only think I was treated fairly but also given the circumstances very lenient.
Let's start at the beginning.
I belonged to an organization that went after Goonrathi. It wasn't just a Forum War but a declared War against the organization and all it's members. We went after each other mercilessly. We hunted each others posts looking for ways to get the other guy banned. I received numerous warnings as did others in my group. Sometimes things get passionate and heated in a thread and people need to cool off. This went a step beyond that.
I like a few members in Goonrathi. Captain Underpants is an upstanding person, Beer4theBeerGod was pretty decent, and a few others I can't recall. In the same respect there was a few others I didn't. I'm sure that a few members of Goonrathi could say the same about us. I know for sure there is one member that the Goonrathi detested and it wasn't me.
So, this fighting continued and eventually culminated in a PM that was sent to every moderator, Ben Lesnick, and about 300 different individuals. I didn't create it but actively participated in it. This led to the first time ban of two organizations posting on each other's Organizational thread. I don't think any other bans of Organization members talking to each other has occurred since that time but I can't be sure.
We still broke that rule and by "We" I mean both groups. We took snipes at each other and pushed boundaries. There was no official rule stating we couldn't talk with each other so we tried to play that card too. We got many warnings before finally probationary bans began to be handed out.
Then I got really sick and hospitalized for about six month. When I returned I decided to try and put the past behind us and make peace with the Goons. A Moderator took actions to delete the messages and I took an unusual step of talking to Ben Lesnick. He was approachable and understanding. Given all the crap he had to put up with from us I wouldn't have been surprised if he had told me to screw off. Ben Lesnick isn't like that though. He is honest and open and lifted the ban of our groups talking to each other.
I've seen the ugly side of the Star Citizen Forums. I've seen derails and asshats attacking each other. Hell, I was one of those asshats. In almost each of those times the Moderation team and Ben Lesnick has treated me fairly.
I also understand something that most people don't think about. That the Forums at Star Citizen is also a marketable item. New players just signing on to Star Citizen shouldn't be greeted with hostility and ugliness. That area should represent the best of the community. If you are going to be critical then try and also be political about it.
A multi-million dollar game is at stake and I don't blame CIG for treating every single portion they control as if it isn't. As more and more people sign up I believe CIG will get more firm in their handling of the Forums. We've also come to realize that there are people with whatever reasons they can dream up are going to try and derail and sabotage CIG's efforts. In the last six months these efforts have increased substantially to include a "Gamers News" site.
I do believe that we were the beginning of CIG taking a firmer stance on the rules. For that I apologize. Passions ran deep but never have I or those I know ever been treated wrongly by the Moderators or Ben Lesnick. If anything they treated us much more leniently than we deserved.

Ok which one of you wrote that? It's perfect.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

MeLKoR posted:

What is gold used for?

Being a limited-time privileged user.

Think of it as having a premium account on SA, but it only lasts for as long as you have gold.

Basically, its worse than SA.

Ezekeel
Nov 18, 2015

MeLKoR posted:

What is gold used for?

Depends. Are you midget and can speak with an Irish accent?

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

MeLKoR posted:

What is gold used for?

More account stuff like here mainly.

https://www.reddit.com/gold/about

Turn off ads, avatars, and features.

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

Ezekeel posted:

Depends. Are you midget and can speak with an Irish accent?

I used my gold to tip my stimpire electric prod for better connectivity!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
https://www.reddit.com/gold/about/

Mostly cosmetic, and subscription-based.

efb

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Chalks' thread is also still visible on page 2 of the new tab

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

DigitalMocking posted:

your effortpost forced me to make an effort reply Gorf. I can't wait for the Shitizen replies.

From that thread

I hope wesha remortgaged

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Berious posted:

I hope wesha remortgaged

With how much he claims he's an internet millionaire, I'd say there's a fair chance.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

quote:

Create your own super secret society

Create subreddits only accessible by other reddit gold members. See a list of gold subreddits at /subreddits/gold. If you have gold you can read more about this feature here.

:laugh:

Also:

quote:

New comment highlighting.
What's new? Highlight which comments are new since the last time you viewed a thread.

Best of all:

quote:

Die Lounge Zugang zu einer Super-Geheimen Nur-für-Mitglieder Community die vielleicht oder vielleicht auch nicht existiert.
The Lounge. Access to a super-secret members-only community, which may or may not exist.

WOW. No wonder SC is still popular within Reddit.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

boviscopophobic posted:

All this backer dissent is fun, but CIG has now shown that the only thing that can affect it is money. I'm interested to see how the next major ship sale/cash grab goes.

Nice to see it crashing again. Looks for a bit like $40K was their floor but lolnope. Package split has been a roaring success.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :eonwe: :pgabz:

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

This post is dedicated to all those who fell by the forums, for nothing is wasted, and every apparent failure is but a challenge to others.
If anyone from the RSI forums is reading this and contemplating leaving Star Citizen, this song might help you through this tough time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9cBm1EzQ00

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances

That'll teach SC devs to pirate Full Burn :colbert:

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

Berious posted:

Nice to see it crashing again. Looks for a bit like $40K was their floor but lolnope. Package split has been a roaring success.

A burning ring of fire - down down down.
:destiny:

Just like one of Bens turds to the bottom!
Say I wonder if it burns Ben more going down or coming out?

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

fuctifino posted:

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :eonwe: :pgabz:

Is that real? Please tell me that's real?

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

From way back, but Jesus Redditors are loving retarded. I actually managed to get a headache reading their responses because those loving tonsil dodgers logic will fulfill many many many psych thesis for ages.

Reddit, please kill r/starcitizen to save face for your horrible pedophilia loving racist website.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

"Proof is easy to fake" is a great catchall response. That is really good.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Mr.Tophat posted:

Is that real? Please tell me that's real?

That /hour, they'll have to do a free flight thing or have a sale this week or next.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Decrepus posted:

"Proof is easy to fake" is a great catchall response. That is really good.

These people are basically white noise. No matter what you do or say, they're not going to believe you because they don't want to believe you and for some reason they think that's how reality works.

You can pretty much pretend that they're not there.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Time Warner Cable restricting OUR rights! :cry:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AV3a-VS_yVI

e: Time Warner was the ISP that did the recent Star Citizen commercial

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Feb 25, 2016

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

Thronde posted:

From way back, but Jesus Redditors are loving retarded. I actually managed to get a headache reading their responses because those loving tonsil dodgers logic will fulfill many many many psych thesis for ages.

Reddit, please kill r/starcitizen to save face for your horrible pedophilia loving racist website.

The only place on reddit where I have a negative number and on a timer is there.
So it aint me, it aint reddit so that means.....

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Chalks posted:

Yeah, it's kinda weird. Some massive downvoting happened to every reply I made to the thread overnight - when I went to sleep all my replies were between +5 and +8, now they're almost all negative, some as low as -10. The downvoting thing is retarded, I reply to someone saying "if you've got any questions I'm happy to answer them" and it gets -8 downvotes. Reddit is dumb as hell.

Sorry guys, this one's on me. I updated the voting bot last night but made a stupid mistake and it started downvoting us. I already reverted it to the previous build.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NY3vtSIFXek&t=154s

:staredog:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Why is he talking into a desk lamp?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

lol

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.reddit.com/r/DerekSmart/comments/47hnmt/dereks_minimes_are_out_in_force_today/

You know, this guy might be on to something... Maybe we shouldn't use the same name on both sites as it perhaps helps them spot who we are. I can't believe I hadn't thought about this before. :negative:

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

skaboomizzy posted:

This is the Stimpire, son. Nothing ends.

Except for hope.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

What a subtle and stylish microphone he has.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

*bangs gavel* the issue council is now in session

*3 peasants walk in, barely distinguishable except for the different color of filth on the fabric* 'the entire game is a collossal piece of poo poo. nothing works.'

'my entire ship disappeared when i traveled ftl. i was left in space forever undead'

'people keep ganking me. i don't know what to do. please ad some sort of punishment'

Chin
Dec 12, 2005

GET LOST 2013
-RALPH

Marching Powder posted:

Chalks posted:

You know how stupid people project, and how all of the cultists think SA has downvote bots running on their sub? Remember how Dolvak was one of the people howling the loudest about the evil goons and their imgur report bot that specifically targeted this thread (???) because he was the one doing the reporting? Or look at some of the disproportionately upvoted comments in threads whinging about Dolvak's unwilling departure.

They absolutely have vote bots and dummy accounts they employ on /r/starcitizen. They're the only ones stupid, petty, and desperate enough to bother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Marching Powder posted:

*bangs gavel* the issue council is now in session

*3 peasants walk in, barely distinguishable except for the different color of filth on the fabric* 'the entire game is a collossal piece of poo poo. nothing works.'

'my entire ship disappeared when i traveled ftl. i was left in space forever undead'

'people keep ganking me. i don't know what to do. please ad some sort of punishment'

And the wise and noble king Roberts said unto the three peasants, "we shall split Star Citizen and Squadron 42 into two equal packages!" Everyone in Reddit was amazed when they heard how Roberts had made his decision. They realized that his vision alone gave him wisdom to judge fairly.

• Locked thread