Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frank Starman
Nov 22, 2007

KaptainKrunk posted:

The fact that one major party in this country is going to nominate someone who so explicitly rejects the dual pillars of internationalist neoliberal economic policy and Open Door foreign policy is actually loving mindboggling when you really think about it.

Trump is good for democracy.

Counterpoint: If he becomes president, he will flip and embrace both internationalist neoliberal economic policy and Open Door foreign policy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

trump's heard the masses and will pick another washington far-outsider as vp. him picking anyone even remotely related to politics would be a mistake.

icahn's likely leading the fed or treasury. my guess is he chooses a non-oprah woman who's beloved across the land. no idea who fits that bill, though

Mendicant
Sep 22, 2015

by zen death robot
kelly

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
Guys, maybe they should attack Trump for being a racist

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Abel Wingnut posted:

trump's heard the masses and will pick another washington far-outsider as vp. him picking anyone even remotely related to politics would be a mistake.

icahn's likely leading the fed or treasury. my guess is he chooses a non-oprah woman who's beloved across the land. no idea who fits that bill, though

Ellen?

Mendicant
Sep 22, 2015

by zen death robot
the woman with really short hair on msnbc who is smug as gently caress 24/7

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Caitlyn Jenner is republican. Masterstroke.

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
I still can't get my head around the fact that they have Mitt loving Romney out there pushing the tax-records thing. Extremely wtf.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

or maybe he goes with sylvester stallone or bruce willis or some other macho republican dude

i don't know. all i know is choosing someone who can even spell washington is a mistake

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
Next up: Newt Gingrich demanding they all prove they didn't leave their cancer stricken second wives

Mendicant
Sep 22, 2015

by zen death robot
gorge hw bush on holding him to pledge to not raise taxes

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Jackson Taus posted:

No, it requires a vote of the Rules Committee and the Convention. So they can only change it if they can get half the delegates to support the change on the Floor. When folks start sounding the "it's an Establishment screwjob!" horn, I'm not sure the GOPe will get 50%+1 votes on that.

Keep in mind that, due to the way delegates are assigned, a portion of Trump's pledged delegates will be party members who don't actually support Trump. In a deadlocked convention scenario, very possible that he has a plurality of delegates, but a minority of supporters in the room.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
"you knew the deal, willard. two lost elections. it's your turn."-prince reibus shoves willard into the colliseum

Mitt weakly yells "w..what about your taxes>"

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Abel Wingnut posted:

Yesterday in an interview with Anderson Cooper he explicitly said that he was leaning towards picking a politician.

Not that what Trump says means anything

xwing
Jul 2, 2007
red leader standing by

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Rick Scott is absolutely toxic, and unviable outside of a backwater petri dish of a state like Florida.

Hell he's pretty hated in Florida. There's a ton of people right now that want his head on a stake because of the Lake Okeechobee discharges that are killing the water in Ft. Myers and St. Lucie Lagoon. It's freakin' black death being discharged into the rivers to save big sugar crops from flooding. Even hardcore conservative people are pissed off because they can't fish or want to swim in the black death and algae blooms.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

I saw an ibtimes poll saying Carson wins Colorado
is this real
please

please I need this I'm so close

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax
picking establishment morons to face The Trump is like picking someone for the involuntary luge

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

is this real
please

Of course not. Gilmore wins.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Abel Wingnut posted:

or maybe he goes with sylvester stallone or bruce willis or some other macho republican dude

i don't know. all i know is choosing someone who can even spell washington is a mistake

Stallone is pro-gun control, so he's a no go.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

What are the chances Trump underwent some initial vetting back in 2012 and Romney isn't bullshitting about something really bad being in Trump's tax returns?

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

is this real
please

how reliable is ibt?

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Good Citizen posted:

What are the chances Trump underwent some initial vetting back in 2012 and Romney isn't bullshitting about something really bad being in Trump's tax returns?

What could possibly be bad in Trump's tax returns that would hurt him in a GOP primary? They would cheer him on if he didn't pay any taxes.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Good Citizen posted:

It won't hurt him.

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

But he's also pro mental health care:

quote:

“It’s unbelievably horrible, what’s happened. I think the biggest problem, seriously, is not so much guns. It’s that every one of these people that have done these things in the past 30 years are friggin’ crazy. Really crazy! And that’s where we’ve dropped the ball: mental health,” he said. “That to me is our biggest problem in the future, is insanity coupled with isolation.”

But Rocky lost twice, so...

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Mitt Romney posted:

What could possibly be bad in Trump's tax returns that would hurt him in a GOP primary?

He pays extra taxes to the irs beyond what he owes.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Mitt Romney posted:

What could possibly be bad in Trump's tax returns that would hurt him in a GOP primary? They would cheer him on if he didn't pay any taxes.

Please Proceed Governor

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

cheesetriangles posted:

It won't hurt him.

In the primary sure

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
My hope is that after he has the nomination wrapped up, he releases his tax returns having paid some ridiculously low tax rate like %15 or less. Then he starts going on about "look how the country is getting screwed! I know where all the loopholes are, I've been using them for years! I will repeal them!"
It sounds about as effective as "I bribe politicians all the time".

Did we close the window yet on pretending Trump is a secret leftist?

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Good Citizen posted:

In the primary sure

Against Hilary "We were really broke" Clinton? Nah.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

my guess is it's just confirmation that his net worth is a lot lower than he claims, which would only surprise you if you have not been paying attention at all

he has claimed as high as $10bn but it's much more likely to be $1-4bn

Might be around $700m

You'd have to be an idiot like Mitt to think it would make the slightest difference though, I highly doubt there's anything potentially damaging in there

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Pon de Bundy posted:

"you knew the deal, willard. two lost elections. it's your turn."-prince reibus shoves willard into the colliseum

Mitt weakly yells "w..what about your taxes>"

Emperor Trump yells, "WHAT ABOUT YOUR GAFFES?!"

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Trump would be very pleased to have a news cycle focused entirely on how his worth is merely one billion dollars.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Trumps taxes show a net worth of less than 1 billion and everyone in america begins to laugh all at once and he begs people to stop until he breaks down in tears and jeb comes out and pats him on the shoulder and says good game kid.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Antti posted:

Trump would be very pleased to have a news cycle focused entirely on how his worth is merely one billion dollars.

Yeah it's a complete non starter of an attack. Tremendously tone deaf and betraying a complete lack of understanding of Trump's appeal.

Boosted_C5
Feb 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
Grimey Drawer

gay picnic defence posted:

What are the long term consequences of Trump for the GOP?

Gobbling up middle ground abandoned by both parties and swelling our ranks.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Mitt Romney posted:

he's actually poor

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
IBI National (2/19-2/24):
Trump 31
Cruz 20
Rubio 18
Carson 8
Kasich 7
Bush 1
Someone Else 3
Not Sure 11
Refused 2

MoE 3.3%. Cell phones (64%) and landlines (36%). 538 ranks IBI/TIPP a B. Full results here.

vrath
Jul 6, 2015

Buy 1 get 1 bottle of Lysol FREE!
Glenn Beck crying about getting btfo at the caucus right now.

vrath
Jul 6, 2015

Buy 1 get 1 bottle of Lysol FREE!
Doing second by second unskewing of his stumping
Hot take from Glenn Beck: Donald Trump is a bad bad man."

vrath fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Feb 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

vrath posted:

Glenn Beck crying about getting btfo at the caucus right now.

It's a beautiful world

Then again that fuckers always in tears

• Locked thread