Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Ahundredbux posted:

i want to mod in rrussom as a playable toilet

don't play with the toilet, that's gross

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Johnny Joestar posted:

fun fact: i genuinely never gave a poo poo about sand surfing and the removal of it really had no effect on me. why it's the posterchild for this shambling heap of bad ideas is beyond me
because it was a fun thing to do and there was no goddamn reason to get rid of it. it was petty.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

IronicDongz posted:

because it was a fun thing to do and there was no goddamn reason to get rid of it. it was petty.

Yeah, players reacted with "Oh man, this is really fun!" and Chucklefish/Tiy pretty much saw that and thought 'This isn't realistic!' and took it away.

Meanwhile, the race made out of gas....

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

It wasn't removed for realism, it was removed because it made people want to go to desert planets. They had to restore the balance of all planets being equally undesirable. Not joking.

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Let's wish for a space whale!
So rather than look and that and realize that they need to add something to all the other planets to make them equally cool and fun, they just take out the fun thing so everything sucks equally. No wonder he made the Forbes 30 under 30 list.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Johnny Joestar posted:

fun fact: i genuinely never gave a poo poo about sand surfing and the removal of it really had no effect on me. why it's the posterchild for this shambling heap of bad ideas is beyond me

To add on to what others are saying, this was also during a time in the game where mining and gathering materials was even more irritating and time-consuming and bullshit than it is now, and the game had some serious problems regarding the lack of actual gameplay features. So in the middle of all that, they decided to remove one of the few ways you could maybe have a little joy in your life while simultaneously playing Starbound.

King Lazer posted:

It wasn't removed for realism, it was removed because it made people want to go to desert planets. They had to restore the balance of all planets being equally undesirable. Not joking.

To anyone who doesn't believe CFish would do something like this, you still can't Air-Dash in the stable or Unstable version because they removed it because you're going to be able to upgrade to air-dashing in the next version of the game that might not be out for weeks or even months. They really, really don't want you having fun outside of the specific ways in which they tell you that you can.

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Feb 25, 2016

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

LordZoric posted:

No wonder he made the Forbes 30 under 30 list.

I'm actually shocked they got a picture of him for that article. Dude went out of his way to avoid going to games conferences and during Chucklefish streams would never at any point be in web camera view (unlike the rest of the development team).

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Jackard posted:

Haha you're one of those stormtroopers

I don't care at all about this star bound game but I want to say Jedi Outcast was incredibly cool because it made the stormtroopers absolutely terrible shots if you keep running and gunning like a proper star wars laser fight scene and i'm just like, drat, that level of detail deserves respect

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Control Volume posted:

I don't care at all about this star bound game but I want to say Jedi Outcast was incredibly cool because it made the stormtroopers absolutely terrible shots if you keep running and gunning like a proper star wars laser fight scene and i'm just like, drat, that level of detail deserves respect

Oh yeah, now that I understand why I suck at it, I'll have way more appreciation for them using those blasters in the films.

Dad: Man, those stormtroopers are horrible shots.
Me: Hey, lay off, those blasters aren't that easy to get the hang of.
Dad: ...

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
You know, thinking about it, Tiy really doesn't get what made Dark Souls a good game either. Its not the fact that its brutally difficult, which some people seem to think is the draw, its the fact that its difficult but ultimately fair. Most enemies can kill you in a couple hits, true, but if you know what they are doing its almost trivial to avoid taking damage in the first place, as most have obvious animations that let you prepare for the proper time to block/dodge/parry. The game design also favors thinking a bit, as many encounters become almost trivial if you fight smart. Just having the enemies be placed in predetermined locations also helps.

For example, in DS1 the way from Firelink to the Undead Burg (for those who don't know, basically the first non-tutorial area) has an encounter that will murder the unwary but is easy if your smart. A bunch of melee guys at the bottom of a stairway, a guy hucking bombs at you at the top, and another melee dude nearby him. If you carelessly charge to deal with the melee enemies at the bottom you'll get promptly bombed into paste. If you go up the stairs but fail to take out bomb dude quickly you get swamped. If you take out the bomb guy quickly or bait the guys at the bottom out of his range it becomes much easier.

Starbound on the other hand has just a stream of enemies rushing from off the screen to wipe out half your health on contact. You never know when one will show up, many may show up at the same time and murder you, and you lack options to deal with them. You are never safe, never. There is no easy way to deal with most encounters because the game is random, so you can't lure one enemy from the pack, and most times its pretty drat hard to avoid them as well.

Note, this is based on what I understand and my last experience with the game over two years ago, but it should hold true. Dark Souls is very deliberately designed game. Starbound is not

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Pretty much. You can't have Dark Souls style difficulty in a procedurally generated game because a ton of the stuff that makes it feel so good is carefully crafted encounter design where enemy spawns/numbers and terrain matter, not just enemy design.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I think it's very important that in dark souls, the windup animations on attack exist in order for the players to learn to time their invincibility on rolls in order to avoid damage. enemies have much more windup than the player for this reason, you're gonna be doing PvE much more than PvP-but player attacks still have quite a bit of windup too, not only because PvP is also an important part of the game(invasions!), but to make the player be deliberate in their attacks and spacing around enemies. Whenever the player attacks, it's a commitment, because you can't roll for invincibility like you normally could until the attack ends. You're reducing your options because it locks you into place, so you have to think about when you do it. Do I attack now, or do I wait because I might need to roll instead?

But you don't loving have a dodge roll with invincibility frames in starbound so "committing" to an attack doesn't mean much because you're not losing the option of rolling-and even if you were, you can still move. So why do all the weapons have such huge attack delay?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
So Starbound is trying, and failing, to be a procedural sandbox Super Ghouls 'n' Ghosts? That's what I'm seeing here; you die in two hits and everything is dangerous as hell.

Except that Super Ghouls 'n' Ghosts was incredibly good because it wasn't random. That game was obviously crafted with great care and attention.

The other snag is that balancing around the fact that the player can build things is dumb. Yeah you can trivialize anything with enough building effort but that's part of why combat in Terraria was fun. Part of the fun of the game was figuring out how to set up your arenas and whatnot in the first place. If you balance around that assumption then you can only just make fights utterly impossible and not fun. Or make the stupid rear end dungeons Starbound decided it needed.

Sorry but that mine level was tedious and stupid. The huge gem with the spinny lasers is seriously the worst boss fight in any game I have ever played.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

AnonSpore posted:

You can't have Dark Souls style difficulty in a procedurally generated game because a ton of the stuff that makes it feel so good is carefully crafted encounter design where enemy spawns/numbers and terrain matter, not just enemy design.
You need to go play DCSS.

I was going to say any roguelike, but DCSS was a procedural Dark Souls before Dark Souls was even a thing.

edit: more words.

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Feb 26, 2016

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
My first fresh faced blind "Dying like a loving moron constantly" playthrough of DS1 was less frustrating than Starbound's combat/damage survival/progression at any point of it's development :v:

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.

Ahundredbux posted:

I want this too, BabeMagnet, make it happen

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

tooterfish posted:

You need to go play DCSS.

I was going to say any roguelike, but DCSS was a procedural Dark Souls before Dark Souls was even a thing.

edit: more words.
Yeah I was gonna say, it's very possible to have a good game that is difficult while also being procedurally generated.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Ahundredbux posted:

Rrussom posted:

I want this too, BabeMagnet, make it happen

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
:eyepop:

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Jumping needs to have a chance to cause you to shatter into pieces and die randomly, so it fits in better with the rest of the gameplay.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together

I made the graphic in question and was going to suggest you use it. I'm v proud of you Babe Magnet :allears:

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

i liked it until the grimcreap

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Afraid of Audio posted:

well just pretend it says "i guess you guys don't like alpacas. huh." instead

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
i dont have the capacity for imagination

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Afraid of Audio posted:

I wouldn't have used it but the request was specifically toilet Rrussom so I thought of the most toilet and rrussom (toilet) quote I could

Rhopunzel posted:

I made the graphic in question and was going to suggest you use it. I'm v proud of you Babe Magnet :allears:

I saw the regular toilet and was like, "surely there must be a better way" and sure enough you didn't let me down!

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Whoa you can play as Tiy now?

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

Babe Magnet posted:

I wouldn't have used it but the request was specifically toilet Rrussom so I thought of the most toilet and rrussom (toilet) quote I could

you're alright by me bm

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Babe Magnet posted:

i get it now

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

oddium posted:

i get it now

lol

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

oddium posted:

i get it now

oh gently caress

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

:perfect:

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

You made my day sir. You are a true treasure in this, the SA shitbound thread of bad. Thanks for being awesome and a shart of light in these dark and trying posts.

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.
My life is now complete, i can die happy

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
this is why i keep coming back to this thread, ba be magnet you're my bae any day

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Let's wish for a space whale!

Toiletpeople!? Good thing AxeManiac isn't a mod anymore.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
So, Stardew Valley is okay.

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
That's nice.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAUY1J8KizU video footage of tiy brutally murdering updating starbound

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i kinda don't even care about starbound anymore because stardew valley is good and it's hilarious how one person can make an amazing game in basically the same amount of time and yet a team is still floundering about on basic gameplay systems

• Locked thread