Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
Jmcrofts you're doing a great job with these training regimen videos. I was gonna do videos on the same subject on my own, but it looks like you're covering most of the stuff I can come up with already.
If I could request a training exercise: Record a neutral jump, forward jump and a common reversal attack on wakeup, then move the dummy in the corner and try to intercept either of the jumps with an anti-air. it's like your reaction time training, except you have to be able to input your anti-air with the proper direction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

quarter circle forward punch
rip

Cake Smashing Boob posted:

I play birdie. I poke her for a bit, she gets in, puts me in the corner and then, unless I'm all peppered up, I'm usually done for. Guess I've got ex bull horn to get out of pressure w/o pepper but ex charge plus tech is like four fingers and I'm bad.

This, I guess. I just spend all my time blocking, trying to figure out when it's my turn.
Nothing she does is safe. The only one you may have issues with is her LK upkicks, which are -5, but can be spaced.

If she tries any mixups at all, do a late crouch jab after blocking the initial hit. Best part for you is that you can confirm to a combo from that.

You're right to play footsies with her because your buttons are better than hers, but make sure that when she has no meter you're pushing offense. She can't hit you with anything on wakeup unless she has meter. Find a safejump and use it liberally.

Karin fuckin sucks.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Goodpart posted:

Karin fuckin sucks.
i actually agree in that i think she is real shallow, but those normals are something.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
Any good tutorials for Fang? I lost my interest for Laura.
I can't even beat survival on normal.

Altared State fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Feb 25, 2016

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Cake Smashing Boob posted:

I play birdie. I poke her for a bit, she gets in, puts me in the corner and then, unless I'm all peppered up, I'm usually done for. Guess I've got ex bull horn to get out of pressure w/o pepper but ex charge plus tech is like four fingers and I'm bad.

couple things

1) Your buttons are better than hers just flat out, but don't go crazy. St.mk basically beats her whole arsenal but the happier you get with it, the easier it will be for her to land a jump.
2) watch out for the jump, cr.mp beats everything she has but once she's in its annoying to get her off.
3) I will assume the Karin is using cr.mp st.mp like everyone else. If you notice they go for anything after the st.mp, after blocking cr.mp you can do your f+HP armoured move and get a guaranteed crush counter if they touch anything after the st.mp.
4) ex bullhorn is a desperation move basically, don't rely on it as a crutch especially since its unreliable and it won't buffer reversal timing like most moves(you actually have to do it when you are standing up on frame 1 vs like mashing any other move for any other character).

Effectively, just be patient, poke, wait for the jump and then slap her out of the air. After every cr.mp you get a mixup of a) hit st.hk and if they hit buttons crush counter, b) meaty overhead st.lk lp headbutt, c) walk forward piledriver once they start blocking.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
https://twitter.com/Yoshi_OnoChin/status/702651929743077377

Wonder if they're actually doing balance changes, I remember combofiend saying something like beta 4 and release would be pretty different.

I still think some characters might need a little extra atm.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

Wonder if they're actually doing balance changes, I remember combofiend saying something like beta 4 and release would be pretty different.

they're gonna nerf chun and bison to be in line with everyone else (boring)

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
dont balance patch a game a week after release wtf

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I would assume he's talking about details of the March patch that has the rest of the game (I also saw some article a while back saying they were planning on doing something about people being able to disconnect with no penalty so maybe that'll get patched too)

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

dangerdoom volvo posted:

dont balance patch a game a week after release wtf

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Doing balance changes already would be dumb as poo poo... so they'll probably do it.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

If he's just talking about putting all the features that should be there and punishing ragequitters then that's good

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Ingenium posted:

So I get that Ryu is the classic starting character to learn the game and getgud. I am cool with committing to him for a while, but what is a good indicator that you can start looking at other characters without falling into all the standard issues with starting on characters like Vega or Dhalsim. I am only struggling to keep my super bronze now so I have a long way to go either way.

I would say choose someone you enjoy playing and don't worry about losing because you will always lose, a lot.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

cams posted:

i actually agree in that i think she is real shallow, but those normals are something.

Karin is cool.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

Nothing about fang? I've seen combo videos but I don't understand how you hit and can do a charge attack.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Golem II posted:

Nothing about fang? I've seen combo videos but I don't understand how you hit and can do a charge attack.

Not experienced with Fang specifically but with the input buffer you can throw out a normal and start charging your special, and if you land the hit you can cancel into your charged attack. The timing can be tricky but that's generally how that works.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

wishlist:
- disconnects counted as losses
- play replays without having to add them to that loving list
- ranked matches FT2?? (in higher leagues at least)
- training mode saves your setup
- something to make survival more bearable (though i think it might be a scam to get people buying colours)
- character themes outside of ranked (but ban laura's theme)
- an option to allow non-blind picks in battle lounge (good for knowing when someone is trying out an alt)

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Cat Machine posted:

- play replays without having to add them to that loving list

The weird thing is that if you view a top player's last ranked match from the leaderboards you can just view it, but you can only add it to the list if you're going from the match history.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
I don't think you have to "use Ryu," but if you can't do basic hit confirms and basic tickthrows etc., you'll struggle a lot more using a character with less well-rounded toolsets

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I guess no help for fang

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I like to think that Karin yells "come on, broski" during her super

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Golem II posted:

I guess no help for fang
you asked less than an hour ago, how are you going to play a charge keepaway/trap character if you have no patience

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Golem II posted:

I guess no help for fang

Aside from the fact that you just fuckin' asked, you should do your own research. Check SRK. Do some googling. There are probably already writeups and guides and videos all over the place for your weirdass skinny poison hands chinese man.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I also posted a tip that was ignored.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Golem II posted:

I guess no help for fang

The Man from F.A.N.G. is dumb-looking and my hot tip would be to switch to a beautiful character like Karin or Zangief or Birdie

Saint Freak fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Feb 25, 2016

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

Wow fight people are serious

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I am always serious when it comes to beauty.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Golem II posted:

I guess no help for fang

i'll help.

pick a different character fang is pretty bad.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
I get so frustrated trying to help new players sometimes. I get sucked in to want to help them, but only like ~10% of them actually want to learn anything, which is super frustrating.

Like...watch a loving match video of two good players, and have wordpad open. Write down stuff you see them doing more than a few times, then THINK about why they did that thing. Watch for them doing a thing that you would NEVER do, and think really hard about why they did it and why it worked. Fighting games are pretty complicated and the skill ceiling is very high--there's always more to learn--but forming a very basic and rudimentary game plan, especially in a game with as simple execution as SF5, should not be too difficult.

You watch a match video and look for something the good player does with your character after a knockdown. What meaties are they using? Why are they using those meaties? Are those meaties that you are using??? Write them down. Now start paying attention to what actually hits meaty (is not blocked). Why is a certain move hitting and not getting blocked? Keep watching and paying attention and thinking about it. If you see someone get hit by something that never hits when you do it, there's a mixup happening somewhere. Watch for it! If you always do Ryu's close MP, st. MP blockstring, but never throw, your opponent will always block. As soon as you represent the throw, there's now a chance they will guess that you are going to throw them and push something, resulting in your close MP (or the frametrap following it) actually hitting.

Learn to watch videos and spot stuff like this for your character, because you will internalize much much better why a certain thing works than watching some flashy video with music playing and annoying editing, or by reading a forum post telling you "here are some good setups." The forum posts in particular are useful to people who already understand fundamentals, but if you don't understand them, the text and robot repeating it is much less useful.

Take like one or two things at a time and FORCE YOURSELF to do them in a match. Watch like five matches of a good player using your character vs. good players, and try to identify the most fundamental and simple mixup they are doing. Then try to identify the most fundamental and useful normal they are poking with in the neutral game. Then go play like 50+ matches and focus almost solely on running that mixup and utilizing that poke as best you can. Every time you knock them down, just do that mixup. Work on timing the meaty, and if the mixup involves a throw, work on throwing at the right timing off the tick setup, etc. Give it time and make sure you are executing it properly. If it really doesn't work when you're doing everything right, then you can ask a meaningful question and get a meaningful response on a forum. "I'm trying to do x move meaty, then either frametrap with y move or throw them, but I keep getting hit with reversals every time, what should I do??" (answer is block and punish if they are reversaling so much).

Once you have that one mixup down like 100%, then watch more videos and learn some variations so your play isn't so two-dimensional. Even doing a single proven and solid mixup (I either hit you or throw you) should still WORK if you mix it up properly. It's not going to be amazing and they only have to make one guess, but especially against bad players this will go really far.

Doing this, you may find out you never actually knock anyone down and thus can't run the mixup more than once or twice per match. If after ~50 matches you still never knock them down...watch a match video again and focus on how the good player lands knockdowns from neutral.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
He's not gonna read that

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

I didn't even read that

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

Fang can poke like hell but I don't understand how someone does a kick in and charges back and then forward punch and combos it

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Saint Freak posted:

The Man from F.A.N.G. is dumb-looking and my hot tip would be to switch to a beautiful character like Karin or Zangief or Birdie

I'm probably gonna take a stab at maining Karin when I pick this up. I tend to fall back way too hard on shotoclones in fighting games, except in Mortal Kombat where I kinda waffle between Kitana and Johnny Cage (you could probably argue that Kitana is a shotoclone with that rising fan uppercut). I wanna try somebody with more of a Rushdown style, as opposed to my usual standby of "rely too much on anti-air and try not to die :v:"

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
i honestly thought i'd be maining rashiid but after playing since launch i think i'm going to really invest time into bison

i don't know if this makes me a bad person or not, but when i told my ryu/ken/birdie friends about it they all groaned

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

boxcarhobo posted:

I didn't even read that

Yas
Apr 7, 2009

Golem II posted:

Fang can poke like hell but I don't understand how someone does a kick in and charges back and then forward punch and combos it

You can gain charge while pressing your normals (anytime actually). Hold back / down back instead of neutral / down during your combo.

Yas fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Feb 25, 2016

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

angel opportunity posted:

I get so frustrated trying to help new players sometimes. I get sucked in to want to help them, but only like ~10% of them actually want to learn anything, which is super frustrating.

Like...watch a loving match video of two good players, and have wordpad open. Write down stuff you see them doing more than a few times, then THINK about why they did that thing. Watch for them doing a thing that you would NEVER do, and think really hard about why they did it and why it worked. Fighting games are pretty complicated and the skill ceiling is very high--there's always more to learn--but forming a very basic and rudimentary game plan, especially in a game with as simple execution as SF5, should not be too difficult.

You watch a match video and look for something the good player does with your character after a knockdown. What meaties are they using? Why are they using those meaties? Are those meaties that you are using??? Write them down. Now start paying attention to what actually hits meaty (is not blocked). Why is a certain move hitting and not getting blocked? Keep watching and paying attention and thinking about it. If you see someone get hit by something that never hits when you do it, there's a mixup happening somewhere. Watch for it! If you always do Ryu's close MP, st. MP blockstring, but never throw, your opponent will always block. As soon as you represent the throw, there's now a chance they will guess that you are going to throw them and push something, resulting in your close MP (or the frametrap following it) actually hitting.

Learn to watch videos and spot stuff like this for your character, because you will internalize much much better why a certain thing works than watching some flashy video with music playing and annoying editing, or by reading a forum post telling you "here are some good setups." The forum posts in particular are useful to people who already understand fundamentals, but if you don't understand them, the text and robot repeating it is much less useful.

Take like one or two things at a time and FORCE YOURSELF to do them in a match. Watch like five matches of a good player using your character vs. good players, and try to identify the most fundamental and simple mixup they are doing. Then try to identify the most fundamental and useful normal they are poking with in the neutral game. Then go play like 50+ matches and focus almost solely on running that mixup and utilizing that poke as best you can. Every time you knock them down, just do that mixup. Work on timing the meaty, and if the mixup involves a throw, work on throwing at the right timing off the tick setup, etc. Give it time and make sure you are executing it properly. If it really doesn't work when you're doing everything right, then you can ask a meaningful question and get a meaningful response on a forum. "I'm trying to do x move meaty, then either frametrap with y move or throw them, but I keep getting hit with reversals every time, what should I do??" (answer is block and punish if they are reversaling so much).

Once you have that one mixup down like 100%, then watch more videos and learn some variations so your play isn't so two-dimensional. Even doing a single proven and solid mixup (I either hit you or throw you) should still WORK if you mix it up properly. It's not going to be amazing and they only have to make one guess, but especially against bad players this will go really far.

Doing this, you may find out you never actually knock anyone down and thus can't run the mixup more than once or twice per match. If after ~50 matches you still never knock them down...watch a match video again and focus on how the good player lands knockdowns from neutral.

I'm gonna try this, thanks.

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide

Thanks!

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

angel opportunity posted:

What meaties are they using? Why are they using those meaties? Are those meaties that you are using???

You know, if they're new players, they might not know what "meaties" actually means. Getting exasperated that they aren't paying attention to something that they don't know exists isn't going to help them learn any faster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fereydun
May 9, 2008