Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

vrath posted:

Glenn Beck crying about getting btfo at the caucus right now.

It's a beautiful world

Then again that fuckers always in tears

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
Also, Washington Post and Univision did an interesting poll here that surveyed Hispanic voters, nationally.

Net favorable (%favorable-%unfavorable) ratings:

For those who think legal immigrants just hate the crap out of those illegals who didn't wait in line!!!

The bad news:

Potential good news if Trump is not the nominee:

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Xenophon posted:

Also, Washington Post and Univision did an interesting poll here that surveyed Hispanic voters, nationally.

Net favorable (%favorable-%unfavorable) ratings:

For those who think legal immigrants just hate the crap out of those illegals who didn't wait in line!!!

The bad news:

But Hispanics love him...:ohdear:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Xenophon posted:

Huh?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Harold Stassen posted:

It's a beautiful world

Then again that fuckers always in tears

Making Beck cry like a little bitch may not be a special accomplishment but it's still a good thing.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I'm looking forward to this debate tonight the way I would look forward to like the season premiere of one of my favorite TV shows...

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

While America is getting ready for Trumpmania, look at what's happening north of the border...

Seriously

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Hispanic voters, according to that poll, are very offended by Trump's comments, but they believe that those comments reflect Trump's views, not the Republican party's. If the nominee isn't Trump, this means there is more wiggle room for the party to try to appeal to Hispanic voters.

Boosted_C5
Feb 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
Grimey Drawer
The only important question in that poll is how they'd vote in a hypothetical (inevitable) Clinton vs. Trump

73% for Clinton.

Obama got 71% in 2012.

Let's assume latino turnout increases from 10% to 12% of the electorate, and Clinton gets a full 3/4 of them.

In order to make up for the damage he has done to himself with Latino voters, and to flat out win the election, Trump would need to improve on Romney's performance with white voters by about 3% and take 62% of them. This assuming that white turnout gets ZERO bump from Trump, which is a pretty generous assumption in favor of Mrs. Clinton since we're seeing right before our very eyes massive numbers of new white voters participating in primary/caucus elections for Trump.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

It's a question of whether they think Trump's immigration views represent the GOP at large. The graph shows they don't, which is a little odd since Trump's apparent voter base is fairly described as "the GOP at large" at this point but it could be a belief that they think the GOP at large supports him for reasons other than bigotry.

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012

Boosted_C5 posted:

The only important question in that poll is how they'd vote in a hypothetical (inevitable) Clinton vs. Trump

73% for Clinton.

Obama got 71% in 2012.

Let's assume latino turnout increases from 10% to 12% of the electorate, and Clinton gets a full 3/4 of them.

In order to make up for the damage he has done to himself with Latino voters, and to flat out win the election, Trump would need to improve on Romney's performance with white voters by about 3% and take 62% of them. This assuming that white turnout gets ZERO bump from Trump, which is a pretty generous assumption in favor of Mrs. Clinton since we're seeing right before our very eyes massive numbers of new white voters participating in primary/caucus elections for Trump.

62% could be hard without a black man to vote against.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

quote:

The Donald Trump juggernaut rolls into Florida where the GOP front-runner leads native son Sen. Marco Rubio 44 - 28 percent among likely Republican primary voters, according to a Quinnipiac University poll released today. Sen. Ted Cruz of Texas has 12 percent with Ohio Gov. John Kasich at 7 percent and Dr. Ben Carson at 4 percent.

RIP rubio

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

Winter Stormer posted:

It also matters where this white vote is. Running up the score in the south doesn't help Trump much.

National metrics are cool, but its state by state demographics in the close states that matter.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad
Florida Quinnipiac

Trump +16 http://www.quinnipiac.edu/images/polling/fl/fl02252016_FmH23kg.pdf

Trump 44
Rubio 28
Cruz 12
Kasich 7
Carson 4

Boosted_C5
Feb 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
Grimey Drawer

Winter Stormer posted:

On the other hand, without Obama on the ticket, if latino voters do make up a higher % of the electorate in 2016, it's probably going to be at the expense of black voters shrinking as a share of the electorate, which means higher latino turnout as a % of the electorate could hurt Clinton, although I'm sure she'd make up for it by winning more of their votes than Obama did.

It's going to be a wash, and this election is going to come down to whether or not Trump can repeat what he's doing now and get out enough of his new-to-politics supporters in November.

It's Trump's to lose, not Hillary's to win. Ask me about how well having a poor candidate who does not generate enthusiasm and having to rely on voting AGAINST someone to energize the base works out. It'd sure as hell didn't work for the GOP in 2012.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Joementum posted:

I have it on good authority that if Trump doesn't agree that HW Bush is great, Jeb will take him outside.

I think HW was a great President - he just was a horrible father.

Like Mitt Romney.

God I love that Trump is moving on from destroying the Bush dynasty to destroying the Romney dynasty. He's not running against Ted Cruz; he's running against a proven loser.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Mitt Romney posted:

Florida Quinnipiac

Trump 44
Rubio 28
Cruz 12
Kasich 7
Carson 4

Yeah...

Rubio is in trouble.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

mike12345 posted:

While America is getting ready for Trumpmania, look at what's happening north of the border...

Seriously

"They won't let me legalize it dude!!!"

Justin Trudeau is so handsome though :syoon:

you're just mad you can't pull it off like he can

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

My Imaginary GF posted:

I think HW was a great President - he just was a horrible father.

Like Mitt Romney.

God I love that Trump is moving on from destroying the Bush dynasty to destroying the Romney dynasty. He's not running against Ted Cruz; he's running against a proven loser.

HW was a great father -- he raised a President! You can't reasonably expect him to raise two presidents.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

PT6A posted:

HW was a great father -- he raised a President! You can't reasonably expect him to raise two presidents.

HW was a poo poo father -- he had Jeb!.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

PT6A posted:

HW was a poo poo father -- he had W!.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

mike12345 posted:

Seriously

"Pink Shirt Day" is an anti-bullying thing up here.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Boosted_C5 posted:

On the other hand, without Obama on the ticket, if latino voters do make up a higher % of the electorate in 2016, it's probably going to be at the expense of black voters shrinking as a share of the electorate, which means higher latino turnout as a % of the electorate could hurt Clinton, although I'm sure she'd make up for it by winning more of their votes than Obama did.

It's going to be a wash, and this election is going to come down to whether or not Trump can repeat what he's doing now and get out enough of his new-to-politics supporters in November.

It's Trump's to lose, not Hillary's to win. Ask me about how well having a poor candidate who does not generate enthusiasm and having to rely on voting AGAINST someone to energize the base works out. It'd sure as hell didn't work for the GOP in 2012.

another masterful unskewing

Donald Trump
Jan 31, 2016

by exmarx
Mitt Romney, who was one of the dumbest and worst candidates in the history of Republican politics, is now pushing me on tax returns. Dope! :mitt:

Boosted_C5
Feb 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
Grimey Drawer

Schnorkles posted:

It also matters where this white vote is. Running up the score in the south doesn't help Trump much.

National metrics are cool, but its state by state demographics in the close states that matter.

Yep. Running up the score with whites and getting them to turnout in higher numbers will only matter in Ohio and in blue states Trump could potentially push into the swing column like Michigan.

And the opposite of running up the score with whites for Trump not mattering in the south is the fact that running up the score with Latinos in California and New Mexico won't help Clinton either.

Trump is already beating Clinton in most FL polls, so obviously the different make-up of the latino population there matters a lot.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/fl/florida_trump_vs_clinton-5635.html

The election is going to come down to current swing states like Ohio, Virginia, Iowa, NH, and Colorado, and POSSIBLE new ones Trump could create in the rust belt.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

PT6A posted:

sounds kinda gay

President Trump wouldn't be caught dead in an antibullying ceremony. You bully individuals for their own good, so that they change their behavior to something more acceptable. Like mocking Jeb! for picking his nose, or running for President.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

PT6A posted:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

FAUXTON posted:

It's a question of whether they think Trump's immigration views represent the GOP at large. The graph shows they don't, which is a little odd since Trump's apparent voter base is fairly described as "the GOP at large" at this point but it could be a belief that they think the GOP at large supports him for reasons other than bigotry.

Thats what I was getting at.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
PPP is apparently polling people in florida and asking likely voters if they think Ted Cruz is the zodiac killer lol

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Good Citizen posted:

PPP is apparently polling people in florida and asking likely voters if they think Ted Cruz is the zodiac killer lol

Post the results.

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

mike12345 posted:

Seriously

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DIETlxquzY

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

thats Trudeau as a unicorn

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
I've decided the best analogy for this season of politics is the movie Jurassic Park. The GOP is Dennis Nedry, and turning off the electric fences set Trump loose. Now everyone is hosed.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

Donald Trump posted:

Mitt Romney, who was one of the dumbest and worst candidates in the history of Republican politics, is now pushing me on tax returns. Dope! :mitt:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/702833969537142788

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
My guess has been that while Trump is losing ground with latino voters, he will pull very high numbers with black voters (for a republican obviously), has anyone done any polling on this?

Clinton is no Obama, and I think Trump's economic protectionism speaks a lot to inner city black voters facing low wages and unemployment.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I think you've stumbled on the dude's gimmick.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Interesting sidenote: Rubio as of February 1st was down to only 5m on hand [down from 10.5m at the end of December] and his rate of donations did not increase at all during January.

The Feb. filling will be reallllyy interesting as it appears that its monthly now.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

This is so great.

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

Mitt Romney posted:

Florida Quinnipiac

Trump 44
Rubio 28
Cruz 12
Kasich 7
Carson 4

:eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Boosted_C5 posted:

African Americans coming out with 2004 numbers would still need Trump to expand his numbers past Romney's share of the white vote in 2012, or capture significantly higher numbers of minorities than Romney did in 2012.

• Locked thread